PDA

View Full Version : Story mission, and achievements are missable!!!

Ray5555
10-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Yes you can miss story achievements in this game. I know because I after arriving in Megaton city. I disabled the nuke, then did the Wasteland Survival guide mission. Chapter 3 of that mission requires you to go to Rivet City, and get info on the city. Well if you talk to Dr. Li, and ask about your father, you learn where your father went. This will trigger the Scientific Pursuits mission, and end any prior story missions. This means you cannot get the achievements for prior story missions. Nor get those parts of the story on that save.

moonieass13
10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Couldnt you just NOT ask about your father then?

Sniper JZA80
10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
seems like the right idea there. I'm glad I read this tho so I'm gonna avoid that one!!

sureshot030
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I posted this before but nobody seems to have the same problem...I dont get the scientific pursuits achievment...can somebody tell me exactly what to do to get this...when I get to tranquility lane it should unlock I guess, but it does not...

krissu86
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I've missed the two achiev' - "GNR Radio" and "Following his Footsteps". But they can be done even if You talk to the Dr.Li and the quests are signed as completed. Just go to GNR and talk to Three-Dog and boom! - achievement unlocked (Folowing in his Footsteps). Then he ask You to go the the musem of technology, get antena and put'it on the Washington Monument - that's what I did and boom! - second achievement unlocked (GNR Radio).

sureshot030
11-01-2008, 02:36 PM
How do I get this achievement ? What are the EXACT requirements to get it ? When I arrive in Vault 112 and get into the tranquilizier it should unlock I guess, because it says "Quest completed", but it does not... I even started a new game and went straight there but its no use...I guess you are supposed to to something before you get to vault 112 besides talk to Dr. Li, check out the Holotapes in the memorial and then go to Vault 112...I almost got all achievements and this is really pissing me off

Smoghog
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM
It sounds like you did things exactly the same way I did them, there's no real reason for it to not have unlocked. My initial thoughts are to make sure you listened to all of the holotapes from the memorial in their entirety. Maybe go ahead and do Tranquility Lane all the way through and progress past it a bit to see if it unlocks then.

That's what I would do.
Best of luck to ya.

MetalNutz
11-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Well, I was in the Chapter: Following in his footsteps. I had the objective of talking to Moriarty and finding out where dad is. I decided to do the side quest "Wasteland survival guide" instead. I was at the part where you have to learn the history of Rivet City. So I was asking around inside and just happened to speak to Dr Madison Li. After I finished talking to her it said I had completed chapter 2 and it skipped me past Galaxy News Radio all the way to Scientific Pursuits. Does anyone know why this happened? Can I still get the achievement for completing chapter 2 or 3? Cause it didnt give me either. I'm confused cause I dont know if ive dont something wrong.

V0L0DYMR
11-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, I was in the Chapter: Following in his footsteps. I had the objective of talking to Moriarty and finding out where dad is. I decided to do the side quest "Wasteland survival guide" instead. I was at the part where you have to learn the history of Rivet City. So I was asking around inside and just happened to speak to Dr Madison Li. After I finished talking to her it said I had completed chapter 2 and it skipped me past Galaxy News Radio all the way to Scientific Pursuits. Does anyone know why this happened? Can I still get the achievement for completing chapter 2 or 3? Cause it didnt give me either. I'm confused cause I dont know if ive dont something wrong.

Its because you got newer updated information on your dad. I doubt you can get the achievement, you will need to revert save or do them on another play through.

VERY TINY SPOILER

I skipped one of them because when I talked to Three-Dog you can speech challenge him to tell him right away where your dad is, this skips a quest you have to do for him before he tells you where your dad is. So skipping them isn't a huge deal but I understand the frustration. I intend to play through again so not real worried myself.

toooitwo
11-01-2008, 08:24 PM
What you did was talk to Dr. Li in Rivet City. She gives you a new quest and skips the previous one. You can still do Following in His Footsteps as well as galaxy news radio by simply going to the radio station and talking to Three-Dog.

And I can confirm this works as it happened to me and I just went to the radio station and I got the achievements.

MetalNutz
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Where is the radio station?

rickyfeeney
11-01-2008, 11:02 PM
i completed following in his footsteps and did not get the achievement i dunno what happened if i done something wrong or whatever but im planning on going through it again anyway.

S3R0
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
This happen to me too, I was wondering where is the station?

gurnard
11-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Its actually possible to skip most of the first part of the main quest, as i found out to my regret.
When i first started playing i did the same as i did with oblivion, just explored the map and did a few sidequests. I ended up at vault 112, and like an idiot i ruined the first half of the story for myself.
Luckily i had multiple saves.

hestar
11-02-2008, 03:59 AM
How do I get this achievement ? What are the EXACT requirements to get it ? When I arrive in Vault 112 and get into the tranquilizier it should unlock I guess, because it says "Quest completed", but it does not... I even started a new game and went straight there but its no use...I guess you are supposed to to something before you get to vault 112 besides talk to Dr. Li, check out the Holotapes in the memorial and then go to Vault 112...I almost got all achievements and this is really pissing me off

Edit:Well I decided to try this on another save I had (thank god I have so many saves at random spots) and it finally unlocked,thank god!!!....I'm trying to think of what I did differently to maybe help who ever is having this problem as well.

All I did this time was, talk Li (finally showed I did on the quest log,as the first time I did,it didn't say it, but let me do the rest).This time I closed the big vault door when you first enter the vault and I didn't wear a hat this time when changing into the 112 vault suit..I doubt this will help,but if so then nice...Cause I was pissed that this achievement was glitched :/.

WykydSceptre
11-02-2008, 05:26 AM
Same thing happened to me. I tried doing it over from a previous save, no luck. Now, I did come across project purity in the memorial before I made it to Rivet City if that matters. However, I did finish the quest in it's entirety following each step. I may end up playing through it again on a new character and try to get this achievement later but it still stinks that it didn't unlock.

sureshot030
11-02-2008, 12:31 PM
at least I am not the only one whos got this problem...man I got 980 GS on this one and u might imagine how PISSED I am...

VivalasQC
11-03-2008, 02:23 AM
My friend have played for about 3h, and he got the take it back achievement. He said he only go in rivet city talk to dr.li, and she said where is father are and that it end of the game...is it a glitch ? did someone already finish the mainquest in 3h?

TooMuchCowbell
11-03-2008, 02:31 AM
There might be a way, especially with all the shortcuts in Fallout.

But all I can say is that your post makes my eyes bleed.

neok182
11-03-2008, 05:21 AM
there are multiple glitches where you can skip whole parts of the main quest line but really it's stupid to do it. you should go through it all.

big red marino
11-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I know I initiated "Scientific Pursuits" from the Main Quest before I had even started on "Following in his Footsteps". It kind of freaked me out, as I Thought I was going to miss a couple of quest. "Following in his Footsteps" was changed in my PIP BOY to a completed quest (faded text in PIP BOY). So I could not make it the active quest. However, I still went and talked to Three Dog and once we were done with the conversation the achievement popped and it gave me the option to pursue the "Galaxy News Radio" Quest. So I can see how you could completely skip everything and get right to the end.

GTukC
11-03-2008, 08:02 AM
But all I can say is that your post makes my eyes bleed.

LMAO^ Why would you go straigh to Dr. Li? I'm having fun going through it doing loads of side quests like I did in Oblivion. I think this game will easily swallow 40+ hours of my time.

garbfink
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
^^

you could complete fallout 1 in about 30mins if you knew where to go at the start of the game,

I imagine that if you can do this then it is intentional on bethesda's part, the game is designed to play how you see fit, therfore if while exploring you stumbled into someone who knew where your dad was then so be it.

Johnny1154
11-03-2008, 10:10 AM
I know I initiated "Scientific Pursuits" from the Main Quest before I had even started on "Following in his Footsteps". It kind of freaked me out, as I Thought I was going to miss a couple of quest. "Following in his Footsteps" was changed in my PIP BOY to a completed quest (faded text in PIP BOY). So I could not make it the active quest. However, I still went and talked to Three Dog and once we were done with the conversation the achievement popped and it gave me the option to pursue the "Galaxy News Radio" Quest. So I can see how you could completely skip everything and get right to the end.

100% true

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can just walk to rivet city and the games practically over.

sureshot030
11-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Finally, I got it...Started a new game, went to Megaton, then straight to Rivet City, talked to Dr. Li...and then to Vault 112 (was not at the memorial) Phew...finally 1000 :woop:man, this game was just awesome...

Caponey
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
i can't get this achievement either!

tattie
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I have proceeded through all the objectives, I just need to go to Vault 112, will this unlock for me?

I went to the memorial and got the tapes.

Tattie

atm0073
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
This game is amazing so it is really unfortunate that these things are happening to me. I have (well, had; you will see what I mean later in this post) two game saves for Fallout 3, one with bad/neutral Karma, and one with good Karma. I leveled up to about level 7 and a half (half way to level 8) on my bad Kama save, which was my first save, and decided to start a new game with good Karma. I got to level 7 on that one, too, then decided to go back to my old save on get to level 8 for the achievement. While doing this, I realized that I had somehow accidentally overwrote my new good save (which, at that point, I had put about 9 hours into in one day), even though I tried to make sure that that wouldn't happen, so all I had left was my old bad/neutral Karma save. Upset, I just kept playing on that one, 'cause there was nothing I could do about it.

Thinking things couldn't get any worse, I continued to play on my only save, for about four hours straight. Not thinking smartly, I did not manually save my game at all during these four hours; all I relied on was auto-save. Anyways, here is where the "glitch" comes into play.
While traveling to Rivet City to do the "Scientific Pursuits" quest, I came across a location called "Red Racer Factory". I went inside, explored for a bit, killed some enemies, etc. Then, I came across this hallway filled with rubble and some filing cabinets, so I decided to hop onto the rubble and grab what was in the filing cabinets. Once I did so, I proceeded to jump back out, only to find that I couldn't move. At first, I thought it was bad positioning or something, but I kept pressing jump, and my character wouldn't budge. He just stayed in one place. I tried everything, and nothing work. Then, very absent-mindedly, I used the waiting option to see if that would change anything, and in doing so, I saved my game in that glitched spot. So now, I'm stuck here, and I can't move! I've tried everything! I think Fallout 3 despises me...

So, I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced the terrible tragedy of losing their save or running into a glitch (even this particular glitch, maybe) like I have.

SpinelesS
11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
the stuff you got from the filing cabinet didnt put you overweight did it?
that would prevent you from jumping...

Dont know why you waited, but I think Ill turn off the autosave when waiting option.

garbfink
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Ouch!!, That is like a double whammy!

The only problems I have had is that the game has frozen on me twice while running around in the wasteland. Aside from that I have not had one single problem.

I do have like 50+saves on my game though so if anything does go wrong then I won't be losing too much of my hard work.

I'm sure that there is a lesson to learn somewhere in your story ;) I guess you have already learnt it so I a=won't spell it out for you ;)

atm0073
11-03-2008, 01:22 PM
the stuff you got from the filing cabinet didnt put you overweight did it?
that would prevent you from jumping...

Dont know why you waited, but I think Ill turn off the autosave when waiting option.
Nah, I made sure I wasn't overencumbered. And I waited because I was so desperate and in shock that I wasn't thinking, and did just about anything that came to my mind.

OmegaX06
11-03-2008, 01:23 PM
100% true

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can just walk to rivet city and the games practically over.

Wow that actually pisses me off. I happened to do this while doing some early side quests. So now I missed the entire story? Guess I'll have to completely start over...damn.

SpinelesS
11-03-2008, 01:25 PM
You cant move at all, or you cant move back down? The game doesnt seem to let you jump if your standing up against something...

have you tried going into 3rd person view (LB) to get a better look at your surroundings? (if you hold the lb you can zoom in and out)

garbfink
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
^^

I know what your saying but surely that is the point of having a free world to roam around. perhaps you will stumble on what you've been looking for.

I kind of like the way that the game is yours to play as you see fit.

Casarella
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM

Agreed. Turn autosave off when you sleep.

Anyone who's played Morrowind has probably came across this problem as well (me included). Just save a lot. I had sped through the Bloodmoon expansion in a few hour marathon without manual saving only to go to sleep with the robe that drains health in the day time. :(

I find it a good habit to save a new save file every time you do anything really. Buying/selling items, quest completion, or just after a relatively tough battle. If you're pressed for HD space, just make 5 or 6; that should give you some leeway.

atm0073
11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Ouch!!, That is like a double whammy!

The only problems I have had is that the game has frozen on me twice while running around in the wasteland. Aside from that I have not had one single problem.

I do have like 50+saves on my game though so if anything does go wrong then I won't be losing too much of my hard work.

I'm sure that there is a lesson to learn somewhere in your story ;) I guess you have already learnt it so I a=won't spell it out for you ;)
Indeed I did, and no you don't. :)

atm0073
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
You cant move at all, or you cant move back down? The game doesnt seem to let you jump if your standing up against something...

have you tried going into 3rd person view (LB) to get a better look at your surroundings? (if you hold the lb you can zoom in and out)
I can move, jump, walk, etc., but I'm not actually moving. (I'm referring to the concept of displacement, as in I'm moving, but I can't actually go anywhere; I'm stuck in one place). I've tried going into multiple views countless times, everything. First person, third person, both zoomed out and in fully; nothing.

atm0073
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Agreed. Turn autosave off when you sleep.

Anyone who's played Morrowind has probably came across this problem as well (me included). Just save a lot. I had sped through the Bloodmoon expansion in a few hour marathon without manual saving only to go to sleep with the robe that drains health in the day time. :(

I find it a good habit to save a new save file every time you do anything really. Buying/selling items, quest completion, or just after a relatively tough battle. If you're pressed for HD space, just make 5 or 6; that should give you some leeway.
Yeah, I am finally learning my lesson about the saving thing.

Almighty Tubsta
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I had just exited by Georgetown (from Tepid Sewers) and was generally exploring. In a fight with a couple of Super Mutants, while backing away, I got myself stuck down an alleyway. I killed the mutants so I could try to jump or move out but couldn't go anywhere. Luckily I'd just left the sewers so I could load up auto so no biggie.

I think the OP is definitely cursed with this game, sucks to be you. Just save LOTS from now on.

SpinelesS
11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I had just exited by Georgetown (from Tepid Sewers) and was generally exploring. In a fight with a couple of Super Mutants, while backing away, I got myself stuck down an alleyway. I killed the mutants so I could try to jump or move out but couldn't go anywhere. Luckily I'd just left the sewers so I could load up auto so no biggie.

I think the OP is definitely cursed with this game, sucks to be you. Just save LOTS from now on.

Dont forget, if your outside and there are no enemies nearby you can quickwalk...

Almighty Tubsta
11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Dont forget, if your outside and there are no enemies nearby you can quickwalk...

Well I did forget that lol. Still annoying though.

CellOmniscient
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Do you have to actively seek this Dr. Li in Rivet City or is it very easy to just encounter him(her)? The reason I ask is, I was just about to head there to find the kid from the "Those" quest a home, and Rivet City is the place he mentioned. Apparently, I don't finish that quest until I find him a home and I don't want to just skip the rest of the main quest just to finish a side quest.

Akalabeth
11-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Don't go and find his aunt, sell the little punk into slavery! It will also net you the achievement and the good feeling of not letting the smart-ass punk loose in the free world.

The Bovine Moos
11-03-2008, 04:15 PM
..... So I could not make it the active quest. However, I still went and talked to Three Dog and once we were done with the conversation the achievement popped and it gave me the option to pursue the "Galaxy News Radio" Quest. So I can see how you could completely skip everything and get right to the end.

Ahh!!! Where is Three Dog located? I thought I'd screwed those two achievements up as well, but if it's just a matter of talking to him then :locked.

Assuming I can find him....

Cheers,
--Bovine

EDIT: Got the Explorer perk at level 20, found it no problem :-). Achievement unlocked!

sureshot030
11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not...theres somethin weird about this achievement...if it doesn´t unlock start a new game after finishing and do what I did, u dont even need to kill a single enemy to get there....

Caponey
11-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Maybe, maybe not...theres somethin weird about this achievement...if it doesn´t unlock start a new game after finishing and do what I did, u dont even need to kill a single enemy to get there....

aren't there enemies on the way to Rivet City?
i'm gonna hafta try what you did. hope it works. thanks.

sureshot030
11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
aren't there enemies on the way to Rivet City?
i'm gonna hafta try what you did. hope it works. thanks.

When you reach the Outskirts of DC u can swim the rest of the way so no enemies will hassle you...then you beam your way back to Megaton and go to Vault 112...its no big deal

Chrome30
11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I skipped GNR at the start also, but, after I went to GNR plaza and talked to 3 dog the achievement pops. And he sends you out on another one. So, if you passed GNR up at the start just bring up your map and GNR outpost will be on it. Just go there and talk to 3 dog for cheevo.

tigerstripe
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Any one know where the key is for the radio station, im trying to go back on myself as well lol

PG_MaxPayne
11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
So as I was playing through the game I got to the point where it said "Quest Completed" for Scientific Pursuits but no achievement.

Then I beat the Tranquility Lane thing and got that acheivement but it skipped over the one before it.

Am I going to have to make a new character to get that specific achievement?

Xerofox
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
So as I was playing through the game I got to the point where it said "Quest Completed" for Scientific Pursuits but no achievement.

Then I beat the Tranquility Lane thing and got that acheivement but it skipped over the one before it.

Am I going to have to make a new character to get that specific achievement?

I'm affraid so, you should get this achievement before entering Tranquility Lane. I had the same thing with the quest "shoot em in the head". Killed 2 targets, got to Tenpenny and he gave me a better offer. Decided to kill the guy who gave me this quest and went back to Tenpenny but he doesn't respond. Bye bye achievement.

sureshot030
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Use the search function: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101735

big red marino
11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
I did the same thing and spoke with the doctor at Rivot City making the "Following in his Footsteps" quest not longer an available active quest option in my PIPBOY. However, I still went to the Galaxy News Radio and helped the Brotherhood of the steel guys kill the Super Human Bohemoth outside. I then looted the dead BofS guy of his armor at the front door and hit the intercom button, thus letting me into the Radio Station. I then went up stairs to talk with Three Dog and he gave me the "Galaxy News Radio" Quest. Once I completed the conversation with Three Dog the "Following in his Footsteps" achievement popped. Just keep in mind that the achievement list shows the main quest achievements in proper order, from the top of the list until "TAKE IT BACK. After that they are misc quests. However, from my obvious experience it does not necessarily lock you out of completing the mission.

I think if it is an active quest done in order you meet upwith some female BofS character right before the Super Human Bohemoth fight and she lets you into the radio station.

shell2k6
11-04-2008, 02:39 AM
no to get into the radio station activate the intercom on the wall next to the door

afexracerx
11-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Yeah, somehow I missed Scientific Pursuits. I started the quest, but I went out and decided to do other things before finishing. The next thing I know I'm doing Tranquility Lane lol. Oh well, there will be a second play through so it's cool.

JJ UK
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I have played through the game and met up with three dog, now I just looked at my gamercard and should have unlocked a few more for the main quest by now, whats the problem?

DJbruce
11-04-2008, 09:35 PM
What achievements do you think that you are missing ?

Outline
11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I completed Scientific Pursuits and didn't get the achievement.

So lame, as I've already done Tranquility Lane <_<

Bulletslugs
11-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know I had this same problem and I finally got mine after I beat the game.

I started a new game... as soon as I escaped vault 101... I went directly to rivet city (not megaton)

I went directly downstairs and spoke to doctor li.. and this turns on the scientific pursuits quests.

I went directly from rivet city to the purity room in Jefferson memorial.

I went directly to note 10 only.. and I played note 10 in my notes...

I went directly from Jefferson memorial to the garage of vault 112

I put on the jumpsuit and took all all my other clothes and items and throw them on the floor (just to be safe)

I went directly downstairs and hopped in the tranquility pod

after the screen goes to the old black and white scene (after the load) ... boom I got my last achievement. :)

finally 1000/1000 on this game....Just wanted to let everyone know what I did to receive my glitch achievement.

Outline
11-05-2008, 12:17 AM
I had this problem about an hour ago.

My problem was that I had discovered the Memorial before talking to Dr. Li

If you can load a previous file, talk to Dr. Li, find the tape, THEN go to Vault 112.
It can all be done in under 15 minutes.

Cygnes
11-06-2008, 05:00 AM
I feel I should have this. everyone else seems too. Ive completed the story yet i dont have this one. This IS a story achiever isnt it? Whats the skinny ppl? Any one else know what im talking about here?

Thanx,
-Cyg

Ry Fryy
11-06-2008, 05:06 AM
You might have gone to the location you needed to go to a bit early, and as a result it skipped it. Meaning you went to the place the quest required you to go, before you actually had to go there. That's at least what I've been hearing around the forums.

Cygnes
11-06-2008, 05:08 AM
yeah i sure did that alright.... hrmm now the question is do i want to go back in my saves and try to redo it. fail. Thanx

neok182
11-06-2008, 05:26 AM
yea you have to actually do the quest. you won't get the achievement if you skip it but still finish the game.

big red marino
11-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Try and do what's needed to complete the quest anyway. I know I had a similar issue and I could not access the quest. However, I went and talked to the next person I was supposed to for that quest and got the achieve. You may have to search in the forum for what you are supposed to do next in that particular quest.

Outline
11-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Had the exact same problem, I had to reload.

Luckily, you can speed run through the quest in ten minutes - just go straight to the control room.

PnutButrSkippy
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
i had this problem with the "following in his footsteps" quest, but i talked to threedog and the achievement popped even tho i had got around doing the quest in a different way.

i'm having the same problem with scientific pursuits. sooo....does anyone know who you talk to at the end of this quest?

Outline
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
To finish Scientific Pursuits you have to sit in the pod.

XProdgerX
11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Wtf i have completed this quest and yet no achievement has anyone else had this problem and have a solution please? perhaps i need to talk to someone?

Note: it is stated as completed on my pip-boy but no achievement :(

Shinobi273
11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
You skipped something in the quest. Just do what you have to do for the quest and it will unlock.

Derrick DS
11-07-2008, 06:02 PM
This happened to me too. I'm near the end of the game, completed the quest (shows up as complete on the pip-boy) and got no achievement for it. I'm not really sure if there is a way to rectify this without starting a game. Not that that's a problem or anything. :)

Tieg
11-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Wtf i have completed this quest and yet no achievement has anyone else had this problem and have a solution please? perhaps i need to talk to someone?

Note: it is stated as completed on my pip-boy but no achievement :(

There is like 5 other threads asking about this exact same quest. Next time you should go to the top of the board and do the following:

1. Click on the little down arrow next to the word "Search"
2. Enter in the subject your interested in...in this case "Scientific Pursuits"
3. Click "GO"

All the threads that apply to this particular subject will be displayed. I just did the above for you and sorted through 2 threads and looks like the best one for you that will hook you up with what your looking for is at this thread:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103118&highlight=Scientific+Pursuits

Good luck and hope it works for you.

Azazel_Valkyrie
11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I had the same problem and I think it was because I went to Project Purity or Jefferson Memorial before starting the quest. I reloaded and started the quest before ever going to Jefferson Memorial and I got it right upon entering Tranquility Lane.

XProdgerX
11-07-2008, 08:38 PM
You skipped something in the quest. Just do what you have to do for the quest and it will unlock.
ok ill check thanks

Outline
11-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Search in future, but chances are you went to the plant before talking to Dr Li; that's everyone's biggest problem.

Reload to before you found the plant, then talk to Dr Li.

Lord J Rod
11-08-2008, 04:21 AM
I didn't get it the first time either, then i figured out i did'nt collect and listen to audo diary 10 from my dad located in the jefferson memorial rotunda next to the purifying machine. How's that for a run on sentence?

XProdgerX
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Search in future, but chances are you went to the plant before talking to Dr Li; that's everyone's biggest problem.

Reload to before you found the plant, then talk to Dr Li.
well i guess its my fault then as i only keep one save

Seany Show
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
well i guess its my fault then as i only keep one save

Really???Only one save!!!Shit son... if you want that achievement you are going to have to start over again.Thankfully I just create a new save everytime Im doing something.Have 25saves through 22hours of gaming.

SebastianSB
11-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Just a heads up. When this quest is telling you to find the radio station, don't talk to the scientist in Rivet City. Talking to her will for some reason complete the quest and won't give you the achievement. I made this mistake while doing side quests and had to go back to an old saved file.

Akalabeth
11-08-2008, 05:47 PM
It is not glitched. You bypassed the mission. Go back and finish it and you will get the achievement.

Outline
11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
We know this already, many have done it.

But thanks anyway.

Lorekeep
11-09-2008, 03:18 AM
I know it's a story mission but I'm not getting this one to complete. I went starting from Three Dog to Tranquility Lane and found that after I sat down in the chamber in Vault 112, I wasn't awarded completion of the Achievement.

What specifically "triggers" the achievement?

FPS GLIMMER
11-09-2008, 04:56 AM
I recently just completed the scientific prisuits achievement. but I never had to do Following in his foot achievement to get it. WTF????

Do i miss out on that achievement and also finding the behemoth? Like the first thing i did when i got out of the vault to explore. Does that penolize me from getting some achievements?

Azazel_Valkyrie
11-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Did you go to the the Jefferson Memorial before you started Scientific Pursuits? I did and I'm pretty sure that had something to do with it. I solved this for myself by loading up a save where I had not yet discovered Project Purity. And this time when I first entered Tranquility Lane the achievement popped.

big red marino
11-09-2008, 09:42 AM
yes you need to go to jefferson memorial and grab the holotapes that talk about project purity. i think no. 10 is the most important. there are three up near the water tank and some more in the basement area. watch out for super mutants

Outline
11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
yes you need to go to jefferson memorial and grab the holotapes that talk about project purity. i think no. 10 is the most important. there are three up near the water tank and some more in the basement area. watch out for super mutants
This is most probably wrong, as you have to go there to gain access to Tranquility Pursuits.

As the first reply said, you probably went there before you should have, and for some reason that prevents you from getting the chieve.

big red marino
11-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Actually the best thing to do is to accept the job from three dog to replace the dish. However if you go and talk to the doctor in rivot city and then complete scientific pursuits and tranquility lane, you can then finish three dogs quest to replace the dish and then he cannot give u ur father location as a reward. So he give u a key to his weapons cache instead. U still get all the achievements.

big red marino
11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
yes holotape 10 at the jefferson memorial tells u that ur father headed for vault 112 in pursuit of the doctor to obtain a G.E.C.K. following the storyline this is what leads you to tranquility lane

Without that key information during scientific pursuits at the jefferson memorial you would have no idea howto track ur father to vault 112

I would say it would be worth it for him to go to the memorial and grab the tape to see if that helps

schulterjon
11-10-2008, 06:20 AM
It's not unlocking for me either, I have all the quest checks done

-gain entrance to rivet city
-tak to doctor li
-search dad's holotapes
-listen to journal entry 10
-gain access to vault 112
-put on 112 suit

and when I enter tranquility lounger the quest is completed, but no achievement. Any ideas?

big red marino
11-10-2008, 06:52 AM
That's just crazy...the achievement should pop as soon as you get in the chamber. I have done plenty of things out of order in this game, but there has been no problem with achievements popping once the quest is completed. I hope you have some saves so you can keep trying it.

And the holotape you are referencing are the ones from Jefferson Memorial and not the ones in Dr Li's Office?

Did Tranquilty Lane achieve pop for you when you excited the chamber and begin conversation with your father?

schulterjon
11-10-2008, 07:10 AM
That's just crazy...the achievement should pop as soon as you get in the chamber. I have done plenty of things out of order in this game, but there has been no problem with achievements popping once the quest is completed. I hope you have some saves so you can keep trying it.

And the holotape you are referencing are the ones from Jefferson Memorial and not the ones in Dr Li's Office?

Did Tranquilty Lane achieve pop for you when you excited the chamber and begin conversation with your father?

Yeah, holotapes were from the jefferson monument, and I got the Tranquility Lane Acheivement. I did "discover" the monument before I spoke with Li, but I didn't learn anything about project purity that would screw up the achievement.

I gues I will have to go back to an old save and do this quest to get it to unlock

IXI N VeeD IXI
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I completed this quest and didnt recieve the achievement..has this happened to anyone else ?

oh and the Super Guide says all you have to do is talk to a few lab geeks and you recieve the achievement...that is wrong, cuz it starts there and then u gotta find holotapes an crap like that..i'm confused by all this.

Ypuh
11-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I had this same problem and I finally got mine after I beat the game.

I started a new game... as soon as I escaped vault 101... I went directly to rivet city (not megaton)

I went directly downstairs and spoke to doctor li.. and this turns on the scientific pursuits quests.

I went directly from rivet city to the purity room in Jefferson memorial.

I went directly to note 10 only.. and I played note 10 in my notes...

I went directly from Jefferson memorial to the garage of vault 112

I put on the jumpsuit and took all all my other clothes and items and throw them on the floor (just to be safe)

I went directly downstairs and hopped in the tranquility pod

after the screen goes to the old black and white scene (after the load) ... boom I got my last achievement. :)

finally 1000/1000 on this game....Just wanted to let everyone know what I did to receive my glitch achievement.
How long it took? I'm affraid I'm going to do exactly the same ^^.

big red marino
11-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Just in case people are confused and in some instances people are worried about messing up achievements. Here is the timeline I have personally taken on the Main Questline once I left Vault 101. This is not the most conventional method, but all achievements popped for me so far:

SOME SPOILER SO WATCH IT:

Talk to Moriarity in Megaton to find out my old man left for GNR and I should talk with Three Dog
Went to Rivet City and spoke with Dr. Li (Following in Footsteps became inactive in my Pip Boy and Scientific Pursuits became active for Main Quest)
I was worried about this so I Went to GNR and spoke with Three Dog (Following in Footsteps achievement popped as soon as I was done with conversation)
Three Dog gave me GNR Quest so I went to Museum of Technology and picked up dish for GNR Quest
I did not hook up the dish at Washington Monument at this time – I only went to the front door step and left for Jefferson Memorial
Went to Jefferson Memorial and picked up Holotapes. Holotape #10 leads you to Vault 112 and the Tranquility Lane Quest
Went to Vault 112, put on my Vault 112 apparel I got from Robot and got into Virtual Reality Chamber (Scientific Pursuits Achievement popped)
Finished Tranquility Lane (Tranquility Lane achievement popped)
Went to Washington Monument and hooked up dish
Went to Three Dog and he gave me his key to his personal weapons cache near Aerewu (sp?) as he could not reward me with my father location as I already now know this . (When the conversation was done the GNR achievement popped)

SliceDice
11-18-2008, 07:39 AM
so i am in vault 112 i think,wherever it is that you find your dad and i still for some reason cant complete the "Scientific Pursuits" quest. in one of the guides it says all you need to do it talk to Dr. Li in Rivet City, and the quest should be complete. but i did that and she made me go look for my dad's holotapes for info, and i wen't and got them and now it says to goto vault 112 and go sit in the chair. but when i do that the quest for "Tranquility Lane" pops up and it doesn't give me the achievement for "Scientific Pursuits" can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Broken Bibles
11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
check the "notes" section to see if you have any "optional" or unhighlighted sections. I know you can miss some quest completions by missing parts within it, but still progress the story, so back track the quest and be sure to hit every dialogue option as well. It should eventually tick off, usually on something small.

iamtehwin
11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
You have to do tranquility lane to finish scientific pursuits i believe. Multiple quests can be active at same time so don't worry just because another one starts the others are still there.

The only way you cannot complete a quest is if it says "Quest failed!!" and in this instance that is impossible considering you cannot fail a main story line quest.

Manguish
11-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Did this to me too - all sections complete, but no cheevy.

Just means i'll have to play through again.

I think it does this when you inadvertantly enter a quest area before you are supposed to.

For example i talked to Doctor Li during Wasteland survival Guide, and completed scientific pursuits - WAY before i was meant to. No cheevy - a reload and was ok. However, i entered the gift shop and had a scout around and i reckon thats why i lost the cheevy.

Ypuh
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
How long it took? I'm affraid I'm going to do exactly the same ^^.
It took me exactly 1 hour 5 minutes en 52 second, to get this achievement from a new save game ^^.

1000, here I come!

Alan1187
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes you can miss story achievements in this game. I know because I after arriving in Megaton city. I disabled the nuke, then did the Wasteland Survival guide mission. Chapter 3 of that mission requires you to go to Rivet City, and get info on the city. Well if you talk to Dr. Li, and ask about your father, you learn where your father went. This will trigger the Scientific Pursuits mission, and end any prior story missions. This means you cannot get the achievements for prior story missions. Nor get those parts of the story on that save.
Just finished the story and realized I did exactly this lol. Good thing I'm gonna make another guy, I totally messed up the perks and stat allocation of the guy I currently am using (I have 100 small guns before the bobble head was even collected /palmface).

Tem0n
11-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Finally, I got it...Started a new game, went to Megaton, then straight to Rivet City, talked to Dr. Li...and then to Vault 112 (was not at the memorial) Phew...finally 1000 :woop:man, this game was just awesome...

This is good to know, i missed the scientific pursuits achievement as well due to the memorial bug.

Thanks for this tip. :)

Valiant Goat
11-26-2008, 03:48 AM
This is good to know, i missed the scientific pursuits achievement as well due to the memorial bug.

Thanks for this tip. :)

When is this Achievement supposed to unlock? From reading the "Super Achievement Guide" thread it seems like you should get it after talking to Dr. Li the first time. Though what others have been saying it seems like it ends in Vault 112.

So what's the deal with this? I'm curious if I should have gotten the achievement, or if I've yet to get far enough in the main story line(I need to go to the Jefferson Memorial).

jasonjuk
11-28-2008, 05:00 PM
im also missing the scientific pursuits achievement even though i completed it! what i did was, i went to vault 112 before going to see dr li at rivet city and now i have completed all the quest and done the part in the memorial too and dr li took me to the citadel
does anyone know what i can do to get the achievement to pop up????

SebastianSB
11-28-2008, 05:09 PM
im also missing the scientific pursuits achievement even though i completed it! what i did was, i went to vault 112 before going to see dr li at rivet city and now i have completed all the quest and done the part in the memorial too and dr li took me to the citadel
does anyone know what i can do to get the achievement to pop up????

If you skip any parts of the main story quest chain that tends to stop you from getting the achievements. Load an old save and do them properly and the achievement should pop.

Tytech
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
i have done the following in his footsteps b4 and got no achievement and i just did it again on my second playthrough this time installed on hard drive and still no achievement, is there anything i can do to fix this, me and my friend are competing to get a 1000 first

Aelarin
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
How are you going about finishing the quest? There's multiple ways to finish it, and only a few of those actually give the achievement (for example, speech challenging your way through Moriarity's request skips the cue for the achievement to unlock, I think).

Tytech
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I go and talk to Doctor Li in Rivet city

Aelarin
12-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I go and talk to Doctor Li in Rivet city

So you completely skip Galaxy News Radio?

Tytech
12-03-2008, 02:42 PM
no, i have the achievement for that, what did you do?

Aelarin
12-04-2008, 03:32 AM
From my memory the main quest line goes Following In His Footsteps, Galaxy News Radio and then Scientific Pursuits. So you skipped the first quest, did the second and now are doing the third?

Tytech
12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
yeah i figured it out i skipped it i just figured it was done because it was greyed out

frankthelizard
12-12-2008, 01:22 AM
I just got done with the quest Scientific Pursuits and the achievement did not unlock. I even did the next quest Tranquility Lane, and I got that achievement unlocked for that. Has this happend to anyone else. I even restarted the damn mission 3 times and nothing.

Jamie Solo
12-14-2008, 12:22 AM
OK, well according to the guide you should have it after you've finished talking to the Dr. I didn't get it so I went to the building were the project was, finished up and left it and it still didn't work. Now it wants me to go to Vault 112 and according to the guide that should be for the Tranquility Lane achievement??

d3nn1s99999
12-14-2008, 01:17 AM
This achievement will be glitched when you go to the memorial before going to Rivet city to talk to the doctor.
If you have an older save try going back to that one to finish this quest without going to the memorial. That should unlock the achievement just fine :)

Jamie Solo
12-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I didn't go to the memorial first... I did pick up a girl in that guys house to take though...

SebastianSB
12-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Your game isn't glitched at all. Go to vault 112 and complete the objectives that pop up once you arrive. Once you interact with what your questlog tells you to in Vault 112 the quest will be complete and Tranquility Lane will begin. Sorry if this is hard to understand but I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

d3nn1s99999
12-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, sorry, Sebastian is right. It's been a while since I completed that quest, and I forgot about that last part. I remembered getting it after talking to the Doc, but I probably don't remember it right ;)

SebastianSB
12-14-2008, 02:21 AM
I remembered getting it after talking to the Doc, but I probably don't remember it right ;)

Who knows, maybe you did lol...what you do during a quest can change how/where it ends. I just got to Tranq Lane on my file and I still have Galaxy News Radio in my quest log because I convinced Three Dog to tell me where dad went without fixing his problem.

Jamie Solo
12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
OK, thanks guys. I was just worried because from what I gathered from the guide I should of unlocked it by now.

Syraphin
12-15-2008, 01:36 AM
was just about to ask this question myself, good to know im not the only one lol.

thanks for the answers.

Jamie Solo
12-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Then you'll be happy to know I unlocked it once I got to the Vault ;)

RUTHLESS PUNISHER
12-17-2008, 07:33 AM
how do u get the achievement for scientific pursuits, as i completed the mission then it went straight in to tranquility lane then into the waters of life, and no achievement for scientific pursuits, what am i doing wrong and how do i get the achievement??? at the moment im on waters of life helping the people escape through the underground tunnel, after i complete that mission do i go to rivet city talk to the science lab people and then will it show ?? help!!!!!

RUTHLESS PUNISHER
12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
i made a thread on this and i dont have the achievement and im on the waters of life quest helping the people escape, and still no achievement i have completed scientific pursuit quest but i didn't get the achievement help!!! do i get it after ive done waters of life help plz!!!

iamtehwin
12-17-2008, 09:20 AM
First of all you didn't need to post in 2 differnt places. Posting in the other thread was enough. I only say this to avoid multiple threads for the same subject. Welcome to the site :D

But, if you go to your quest log and look at the "scientific pursuits" quest it should say what you have to do.

Now if it is blacked out that means it is done and you got glitched out or failed it somehow which means you should do it on a second playthrough or clear your game off the hd and try again. Whatever makes you happy :)

A Satyr
12-17-2008, 10:56 AM
The reason i didnt get mine 1st time was because i went to Jefferson memorial before getting that objective, so next time i suggest you follow the storyline and dont explore to make sure you dont screw it up again...

It starts after you find out about your dad from 3 dog (if you speech him you dont have to do his mission) then go to rivet and talk to lee then go to jefferson and listen to his tape in the rotunda and go to 112 and you get it when you enter tranquility.

No HD clear needed

Parallax Demon
12-17-2008, 08:06 PM
As far as I know, it is still possible to get the achievement. When you by accident do the last requirement of a quest or trigger a next quest, it ends the previous quest. But when you do all the previous requirements after that, the achievement should unlock.
I had the same problem with Following in His Footsteps. I went to Rivet City and talked to Dr. Li before going to Galaxy Radio and suddenly the quest was gray. By just going to GNR and talking to the DJ I got the achievement.

M49907
12-28-2008, 02:04 AM
When does this quest end because when looking for my dad at the jefferson monument, I got the holotapes and it tells me to go to vault 112. Should I go to vault 112 yet because I didnt get scientific pursuits achievement and thought going to the vault was going to cause me to miss one.

Wii187
12-28-2008, 02:12 AM
From the guide found HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=102673):

Scientific Pursuits- 20 G
This one starts immediately after “Following in his footsteps” you will need to travel to Rivit City and head to the science lab in the middle section of the ship. Once you talk to a few lab geeks there you will be told to go to Jefferson Memorial I believe, once there go to the room inside where there's a circle structure with glass and a staircase and check that area for everything in it, once that's done you are told to go to Vault 112 once there you will follow the robots instructions and enter a pod. Once you are in that and it loads the sequence the achievement should unlock!

casper018
12-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Scientific Pursuits- 20 G
This one starts immediately after “Following in his footsteps” you will need to travel to Rivit City and head to the science lab in the middle section of the ship. Once you talk to a few lab geeks there you will get this achievement.

I didnt got the achievement.. while I already got the next guest to travel to vault 112... what now :confused:??
did I miss something/do somethingwrong?

drexsack
12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Yes, you should read the quote directly above yours.

COBRAtheENEMY
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
As far as I know, it is still possible to get the achievement. When you by accident do the last requirement of a quest or trigger a next quest, it ends the previous quest. But when you do all the previous requirements after that, the achievement should unlock.
I had the same problem with Following in His Footsteps. I went to Rivet City and talked to Dr. Li before going to Galaxy Radio and suddenly the quest was gray. By just going to GNR and talking to the DJ I got the achievement.

Thats right the achievement still unlocks - definitely.

Bleed
01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
I just completed the ques Scientific Pursuits, but no achievemnt unlocked...
(FYI, i'm playing on pc)
I loaded an old save, but still no luck
Any ideas?

o Machamp o
01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
The achievement unlocks once you load up into Tranquillity Lane. Once your in Tranquillity Lane, the first thing that should happen is you get such achievement.

Bleed
01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Iep, nothing happends, I unloked the next achievement, but no Scientific Pursuits :/

VicLev
01-12-2009, 03:32 AM
yea i also have this problem.
but even weirder. i listened to the holotapes to find out where dad was and it checked it off. but then i exitted a building or something and it said i still had to listen to the holotapes... but when i listened again nothing happened. too late to reload too :(

any ideas?

masterzach
01-12-2009, 04:04 AM
one of my buddys also ran into this problem. he sayed he finished it but nothing popped.

Pogo27
01-12-2009, 05:38 AM
I had this problem the first time I played through, so that's part of the reason I'm playing through a second time. However, watching my roommate play through, he didn't have a problem at all.

On my second time through, I made a save file and never overwrote just before heading to Rivet City for the first time. I did everything the same way the first time I did it--I went to the Jefferson Memorial first (because I saw it and was curious the first time), ended up collecting the holotapes, then went to Rivet City and was told I needed to look there, even though I already knew to go to Vault 112.

This is when I figured out the glitch. I noticed I had two waypoints on my map at this point. One pointed to the Jefferson Memorial and took me to where the 10th holotape is (the one where Dad says he's going to 112) and the other pointed me to 112.

So, I reloaded, skipped past the Jefferson Memorial, let Dr. Li tell me to go there, went there, then went to Vault 112, and tada! achievement.

So in short, if you didn't get the "Scientific Pursuits" achievement, you need to reload the game from a point before the first time you enter the Jefferson Memorial and make sure you let Dr. Li tell you to go look there before the you ever go there.

Bleed
01-12-2009, 12:40 PM
yea i also have this problem.
but even weirder. i listened to the holotapes to find out where dad was and it checked it off. but then i exitted a building or something and it said i still had to listen to the holotapes... but when i listened again nothing happened. too late to reload too :(

any ideas?
Same here, with just one holotape I was told to go to vault 112...
maybe I have an old enough save, I'll check tonight

Peter Panyc
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I somehow completed Following in his footsteps quest but got no achievement. I did this by doing thwe wasteland survival guide and going to rivet city and talking to Li. I was wondering if this was common or if my game was messed up and please no spoilers,

Brambledamble
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
You can open the console on PC and use the addachievement command.

Trash Man
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
You need to take this quest from an NPC called Three Dog. You come across him in a previous quest. It is possible to get this quest from D Li, as you did, but you miss a whole quest from the main quest line and it's not possible to get the achievement from it when it's taken from Dr Li.

Hopefully you have a savegame file from before taking the quest from her. If so load that up and go talk to Three Dog.

BlueRidgeRagger
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
yah exactly what Trash Man said.. make sure to save often.. dont rely on Autosaves.. that way you can go back if you mess something up.. easy to do since you can either be good, neutral or bad. You need to find GNR radio building.. Three Dog is there

Blue Radium
01-13-2009, 09:50 AM
If you use the speech option and succeed while you are talking Three Dog, you completely skip the mission meaning no achievement. That is the only way I can see you only missing that one story mission.

Peter Panyc
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
where is threedog? and dont tell me anything if it will ruin the story for me

LethalRope
01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
where is threedog? and dont tell me anything if it will ruin the story for me

He is in the Radio Station, you will have to meet him to carry on the main quest.

Zoc
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Then, I came across this hallway filled with rubble and some filing cabinets, so I decided to hop onto the rubble and grab what was in the filing cabinets. Once I did so, I proceeded to jump back out, only to find that I couldn't move. At first, I thought it was bad positioning or something, but I kept pressing jump, and my character wouldn't budge. He just stayed in one place. I tried everything, and nothing work. Then, very absent-mindedly, I used the waiting option to see if that would change anything, and in doing so, I saved my game in that glitched spot. So now, I'm stuck here, and I can't move! I've tried everything! I think Fallout 3 despises me...

So, I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced the terrible tragedy of losing their save or running into a glitch (even this particular glitch, maybe) like I have.
yes it happened to me a couple of times to get stuck somewhere in the floor of a building or something, i tried jumping crouching everything but i was just stuck, i had to reload my auto-save from when i entered the building, but lucky for me, even if i tried to wait, i have a 100 saved game or so, so it's not a problem. I prefer saving a lot and be able to reload any saved game if anything bad happens. for exemple i save when i have to make a choice in a quest or whatever, and see the rewards offered to me, or i save when i'm about to pickpocket so if i get caught i can reload. its just not to lose 30 hours of gameplay just because i do something wrong, you should have done the same, game save are not that heavy on your hdd i think, plus i will be able to reload a level before 8 14(?) and 20 to get the other 6 achievs for karma

NataSS Inc
03-04-2009, 12:07 AM
So when I originally went for this achievement I had to talk to the guy (Moriarti) and he wanted caps to know where my father was but I didnt have enough to pay him for the info. then when i went back the second time he raised the price and I still didnt have enough. So I gaffed him off for a while did other quests and then ended up on "Rivet City". There Dr. Li tells me that he went to project purity and I went to the Jefferson memorial. There you get the tapes saying your dad went to Vault 112.

So i go there and as soon as I climb into the chamber I get the "scientific pursuits" achievement. then I go through tranquility lane and get that achievement.

Then i went back to Moriarti and he didnt have anythingto say about dad. So i tried to find the GNR station and when I did, 3 dog wasnt there and I couldnt get into the station.

Am I screwed? do i have to reload an earlier save to get those 2 achievements? It will suck becuase I spent a bunch of time running around finding locations and doing other side quests.

Any info appreciated.

Shinobi273
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Hack Moriarty's computer.

When you approached GNR, was there a Brotherhood of Steel battle going on? After the battle, the door is supposed to be unlocked for you after talking over the intercom.

If the door was locked, how did you know Three Dog wasn't there?

NataSS Inc
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Hack Moriarty's computer.

When you approached GNR, was there a Brotherhood of Steel battle going on? After the battle, the door is supposed to be unlocked for you after talking over the intercom.

If the door was locked, how did you know Three Dog wasn't there?

I never noticed the intercom box after i was done killing all the super mutants and the giant mutant.

I figured he would come out of the place after the fight. thats what I get for thinking. I am retarded. I just read the achievement description in detail and it mentioned the intercom. I just never read the entire thing. I am stupid.

Sorry to waste anyone time.

Comet
03-15-2009, 03:18 AM
I beat the entire quest, and when I activated the Virtual Reality thing, I never got an achievement and the quest just went to Tranquility Lane. I got the achievement for Tranquility, but none for Scientific Pursuits.

I did everything, and my PIP boy also says I beat it.

Help?

cptmorgemaker
03-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Exact same thing had happened to me. What I did was reload a save right where you got scientific pursuit or just before it. Went to Rivet City got the mission and went to jefferson memorial like they said. Then when in the Routonda or however its spelled you grab those 3 tapes on the filter system right when you walk up the stairs into it and listen to them right there. Do not grab any other tapes because there are a few and I think they mess it up. I went in and had grab like 9 tapes in there listened to them all but it never did say I listened to the journal to find out where your dad was even though I listened to all 9. Just reload it grab those 3 tapes listen to them then continue the mission doing exactly what the quest says making sure everything gets checkmarked. Because when you finished the mission it showed you did that but it never did check it until I had completed the mission thats probably why it didn't pop. Then just quit out of that and reload your latest save. Make sure you save where you are as autosave will get changed when you go back to this reload. Hope this helps yea i was so mad when mine didn't pop

Comet
03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Alright, thanks. Who did you receive the quest from though?

cptmorgemaker
03-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Three dog tells you your dad went to Rivet City then you go there to find out more info so I'm going with three Dog. It comes right after Galaxy Radio

MattDB87
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
i cant find galaxy radio, and the people in the saloon wont give me the quest for it.

MattDB87
03-17-2009, 12:25 PM
i have the same problem, but i cant find GNR, since no one will give me the quest in the saloon i dont have it marked on my map so i gotta look for it blind.

NataSS Inc
03-17-2009, 04:55 PM
If you use the wiki thats linked in the achievement guide, you can search for "GNR radio" in the search bar. When the page comes up it will tell you how to get to GNR. The only way you can get to it is through the subway IIRC. But once you have found it, you can fast travel directly to it.

MattDB87
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
ah i c. i did stumble upon the subway entrance but i didnt go in, ok thank you.

MattDB87
03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
im in the museum of technology now and i cant find my way to the dish, everywhere is a dead end. i went upstairs to a computer but my science skill is not high enough for it, ive been leveling science everytime so this cant be right.

NataSS Inc
03-23-2009, 03:31 AM
The dish is on a space craft. Its easy to get to, you just have to fight your way to it. When you find it, walk up to it and it will give you the option to take the dish off it. Then fight your way back out.

Jeroenman
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
??? any ideas?

Weicester
05-11-2009, 01:47 PM
For those who just started the game and did not make a 'mistake' yet, here's what you can do to prevent you from missing achievements:

- save your game! :)
- stop playing for achievements on this game, just explore anything and do all the quests in the order and way you wish ;)
- missed out on an achievement? reload previous save and rush through the quests you missed. It's possible to play every story quest (skip the side quests) in under 5 hours or so. It's also funny to get very bad karma this time to see what other dialogue options you got, and how people react to your very bad karma. This way you can see what you REALLY missed out on while playing fallout, besides achievements.

Just watch you don't save over the wrong game, save your game regularly, and for the rest don't be afraid of making mistakes, 'cos you simply CAN'T make a mistake in this game. It's up to you.

on-topic: scientific pursuits has to be done in the correct ORDER! Dropping items or whatsoever has nothing to do with it. Go to rivet city straight after you leave the vault or after you did the Galaxy News Radio quest, it doesn't mind. As long as you do it in the right order:

1. Gain entrance to rivet city.
2. Talk to dr. Li about your dad.
3. Go search for your dad in the control room (Jefferson memorial gift shop)
4. Take the holotapes.
5. Listen to entry 10.
6. Go to vault 112 and enter the computer thingy.

Achievement unlocked :)

Also, the guide said it all extremely well (try fallout wiki, it's flawless)
What I like to do is, whenever I complete a quest, read the guide about the quest and see what other options I would've got by making other decisions. (karma-, speech-, or perkrelated dialoque options, killing someone I shouldn't have killed, anything you can think of)

I hope this answers most of your questions. Just don't be afraid you do something wrong, 'cos fallout is by far the best game ever and you should just enjoy playing it, and for once don't worry about achievements or anything.

Regards, Weicester

llll epic llll
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
OK, im not sure whats going on here. In the game under quests it shows "Following in his footsteps" as completed, beside the main quest it shows "speak to cloin moriarty about dad" and Investigate the nearby town of megaton for info about dad" as completed.

So it looks like "following in his footsteps" quest is complete but I have never been to GNR and I dont have my achievement for it?

Any ideas?

I am going for the 1K in original game with no DLC. Can I just finish the game, start a new one and get the "following in his footsteps" achev? and still get the 1k. As far as I know thier isnt an achev for completing all the quests together in one game play?

Also, any ideas how I can finish "following in his footsteps" even though the quest is not highlighted in my map anymore?

By the way, I dont remember ever talking to Three Dog and GNR is not on my map as a place I discovered...

SuperNova X2X
07-12-2009, 05:52 PM
First, you can finish the game and make a new one and still get the achievement.

The only reason why it could be marked as completed if you haven't finished it is if you have killed someone important to the quest or done something that resulted in the quest being failed. Try finding GNR anyway and see if the quest continues, that's all I can recommend, unless you have an earlier save.

llll epic llll
07-12-2009, 08:49 PM
OK I found some info, apparently I ran into a little bug because I talked to Doctor li first. Here is a quote from the wiki about it...

"If Doctor Li is spoken to before Three Dog, the Following in His Footsteps quest will be registered as completed in your PipBoy, but the achievement may not register for completion. The achievement will still be awarded if the player goes back and talks to Three Dog."

Link to full article in wiki about "Following in his footsteps" (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Following_in_His_Footsteps)

I found GNR and when I got there all the mutants died and the soldiers disappeared, then the giant mutant thing glitched in a corner. I could have killed it by melee if I wanted cuz it couldnt move, nice for me! Radio'd inside and talked to Dog about the dish and "Following in his footsteps" achev popped.

Dz06lt
07-13-2009, 12:51 AM
yep there are several story line quests you can miss if you just go exploring happy for example you can leave the vault and head right to the vault where dad is and miss quite a few quests

llll epic llll
07-13-2009, 03:16 AM
yep there are several story line quests you can miss if you just go exploring happy for example you can leave the vault and head right to the vault where dad is and miss quite a few quests

Yeah i guess i will not roam around aimlessly then, kinda ashamed really, seems like u should be able to roam free and not have to follow such a linear path.

oldaddyjoker
07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Nice to see you got it done, hit me up if you get stuck again man.