PDA

View Full Version : for people wondering to buy or not

DownByLaw
10-31-2008, 06:38 PM
made this thread for people wondering if they should get the game

This game is very good but there are things in the game that just overpower the good things that make it bad. if this was a linear game it would be awesome, but they chose to make it free roam(big mistake)

the good things about this game is that there's tons of weapons, good graphics and physics. you can complete the missions when and how you want to, best map editor on a console game.

now the bad things....
maybe the MOST boring aspect of this game is the traveling. in a game where the only things you can do is missions and kill people. there is absolutely no point of creating a map this big. the map is so large and the vehicles are incredibly slow,and you can only sprint for about 4 seconds. most the roads have mountains on each side of the road so this completely defeats the purpose of such a huge map. there are 5 bus stop that you can use to fast travel but it only transports you to each corner and the middle. basically it takes you 5-10 minutes of straight driving just to get to the target and about 30 seconds to run in and kill him or destroy the object. another thing that can be EXTREMELY irritating is that everyone in the game is your enemy. along your way to a mission there will be guarded outposts with several soldiers and 2 vehicles. every time you pass one of these you are forced to kill them because they immediately chase you(did i mention that there vehicles are 3x as fast as yours) also you can take over an outpost, so when you do that for the first time, you think "oh cool so if i go down this road the next time they wont be there"WRONG! the enemies respawn at the guard post once you drive far away from it. so the thing i am asking is " why tell us we took over a outpost when they just respawn anyway. just say nothing....

it just makes you wonder why they dind't just make it as linear as the first far cry(pc) it would be 100x better. even making the map smaller would be a better solution. its a good game but its the kind that cant be played hours on end without being extremely bored and irritated. i have found tons of threads on other forums about how disappointed they were with a game they've been waiting for a long time.

MrEastSide
10-31-2008, 11:09 PM
I do agree with all your bad points. However, when I play my opinion seems to constantly change. Sometimes I am not bored at all and don't mind the driving and enemies, etc... Then other times I am extremely irritated with all the little nuisances. I can't decide if I like the game a lot or just think it's OK. LOL! I guess I'd have to say it is a solid game, just not one for everybody.

exo-apollo
11-01-2008, 06:06 AM
This game is very good but there are things in the game that just overpower the good things that make it bad.

What does this mean?

I agree with a few of your points, although I have honed down my travelling to a pretty manageable amount. I catch buses and I drive around outposts,not through them. It's pretty simple and it saves me frustration.

BullZeye
11-01-2008, 08:53 AM
The travelling wouldn't be so bad if you wouldn't get attacked every 5 seconds,passing multiple enemy outposts and if the vehicles would be a bit more durable.
Overall I liked it very much,still, after completing the game once,you've seen pretty much everything,although there are minor changes each time(like where you go during the tutorial,which buddies you get etc).
The Multiplayer is also fun,but nothing special,except for the fire and that you capture diamonds instead of flags.

Evo Kazz
11-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Having just started playing this I can understand totally about the travelling, its very annoying and the game is so big, its sometimes overwhelming, whats worse is everything looks the same, the developers should have added some landmarks to make things seem differant, or to mark areas.

Atarii
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Yea certain things about this game are annoying. Sometimes I hate that it's free roam because of the travel distances, but the gameplay makes up for it once I actually reach my mission location. The multiplayer is ok, and I love the map creator/editor even though it has a somewhat high learning curve.

Overall I say it's an average game. It's strengths and weaknesses balance each other.

usngsxrsx
11-01-2008, 11:01 PM
yeh i agree with ya. map is way too big. its ginormous. just a long boring way to drag out the gme i guess? there is too much stuff to do in the game the 200 sumthing diamond cases thats a big ridiculus. i dunno its fun to play the missions but when it comes time to runing or driving which seems like 5000000 miles to my next mission its pretty gay. the multiplayer im not to impressed with either. the controls and the whole game play seems a bit off. shooting half a clip or taking 3 headshots with a sniper to kill an enemy its makes me not wanna play this game at all. i only rented it i just wanna get some achievements for it and be done with it.

le b3nz0r
11-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I kind of agree with the OP.

Really this game has effectively made me terrified of the sound of a revving engine. You ignore the sound and get splattered for a game over once, you're traumatized forever.

JRJ3 x360a
11-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I bought this game last week and am glad i did. Yes the travelling and getting attacked constantly is annoying but the story is detailed once you get into it and the online is brilliant and addicting. However im not sure whether or not im going to be playing this much when CoD comes out but if you like playing online then buy the game but if your only after the story id just rent it.

http://card.mygamercard.net/JRJ3.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/JRJ3)

Tactful
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
From the videos it looks like my kind of game, It's being delivered tomorrow. Also, I laugh at the fact that you critisize the game for having, and I quote, "too much stuff to do".

BrandonPckrfn
11-11-2008, 03:03 AM
For all those people that hate getting attacked every 5 minutes while driving, just go off the road, I am very rarely attacked, just have to stay off the roads and go around the guard posts.

I also have to disagree with the comment about everything looking the same, there is a lot of different places with tons of different scenery.

sawred
11-11-2008, 03:29 AM
DownByLaw couldn't have written it any better. I got some help on here for the diamonds, and now that I am finished playing this I wanted to post something about this. And well you beat me to it. To all those reading, this is a rent for me. Solid week of fun, but no replay aspect to me. I haven't played online. There are some fun parts to this game, but what Law said. Lot of repeative stuff. Traveling is pretty boring after awhile and you have to do it a lot. Taking out posts, and shooting vehicles that are ALWAYS faster than you gets boring quickly. I would give this an 8 overall mainly for graphics, and what not. Should've been a little smaller in size with a few more options, got repeative. Now back to blockbuster.

J Lew332
11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I bought this game and wasn't able to put more than an hour into it at one time. The TS said it best about the traveling. I couldn't stand that and I basically wasted 60 bucks on this game because I'll never play it again with all these other games coming out. To people looking to buy it, dont bother, there are some way better choices that are being released lately.

drexel360
11-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up OP...I wasn't sure if this was a must buy or wait for a price drop. I'll probably end up picking it up when its around $30.

I'm all for games with a lot of stuff to do but this one seems too big.

scooke87
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Well thanx for all the input. With Christmas I've been looking into asking for this game, but with CoD:WaW, Dead Space, finishing Fallout 3, I think this game would get pushed back and I'll probably never play it. I'll pick it up with a price drop.

killerc0P
11-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Well thanx for all the input. With Christmas I've been looking into asking for this game, but with CoD:WaW, Dead Space, finishing Fallout 3, I think this game would get pushed back and I'll probably never play it. I'll pick it up with a price drop.

Good idea I just wasted 30 hours of my life doing single player completly. Its not a bad game but its not a brilliant game.
There are many things wrong with it one of these being you can't move further than a 100 metres without a jeep trying to run you over and shoot the shit out of you. There is no such thing as stealth in this game.

ao4real
11-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Another reason for not buying the game is for the fact that many paople including myself have issues with the game freezing.
This is a real disgrace, and a real lack of disregard for its customers demonstrated by ubisoft, and they must not be allowed to get away with it. I parted with my hard earned cash and bought this game only for it to be freezing after 4 per cent completion. I have restarded the game so many times, and get the same problem, and i am now glad to say i simply threw the game in the bin, as to me that is the only suitable place for it. I ask all people here to think of ways to petition ubisoft and let them know what they are doing is daylight robbery.

Blackjaw x
11-14-2008, 07:01 PM
This game is amazing in my opinion. Can't wait to try multiplayer, I wish I had more time before Gears 2 came out.