PDA

View Full Version : Hacking is so crap!!

jolliffe
10-31-2008, 10:00 PM
Can somebody please explain how to hack... I really dont get it. I have had to resort to guessing because i just cant figure it out!! I dont know if the numbers are for how many letters are correct and in the right place or how many letters exist in the word. Im getting really pissed off at it
http://card.mygamercard.net/community/xba/o+Spas+Tick+o.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/o+Spas+Tick+o)

shadow sniper
10-31-2008, 10:13 PM
I hate this also.What I do is save and redo it until I get it.

krissu86
10-31-2008, 10:17 PM
I hate this also.What I do is save and redo it until I get it.

You don't have to save and load - when You have one last chance just close computer and open'it again and You will have 4chances again, but...the password will be changed :)

shadow sniper
10-31-2008, 10:24 PM
You don't have to save and load - when You have one last chance just close computer and open'it again and You will have 4chances again, but...the password will be changed :)

Thanks.That will save time.

big red marino
10-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Hacking is simple. Like they said after three tries, back out and try again - this prevents you from being locked out. However, the password does reset.
When you choose a word the computer responds with how many letters in that word are correct. Let's say you choose READING, then it may say "5 of 7 correct" or something like that. Then look through the list of words that are similar to that and try those.

Kimdir
10-31-2008, 10:57 PM
If you've ever played Mastermind, you understand the principle behind this: The only difference is that unlike that game, you only get the number of letters in the right spot.

Also, if you can find a open and closed bracket (such as parentheses, {}, or []) it'll remove a dud password for you.

SpinelesS
10-31-2008, 11:07 PM
I always choose the first word, then spell it over the rest.

Eg say some of the words are

hack
back
cart
cars
home
core
dart
rope

Lets say Dart is the word that is correct.
I choose Hack, it tells me 1 letter is correct

Onto Back: B isnt H, A is A, C is C, K is K
Back has 3 letters in common with Hack, so it cant be the correct answer.

onto Cart: C isnt H, A is A, R isnt C, T isnt K
Cart and hack have exactly 1 letter in common, its possible this is the correct word, I choose it.
It tells me 3 letters are correct.

Onto Cars: 1 letter in common with hack, 3 in common with cart, its possible its the correct word, I choose it.
It tells me 2 letters are correct.

Now I have the option of leaving and restarting if I dont know the answer, but a quick look through the remaining words shows that Dart is the only other word with 3 letters in common with Cart so It has to be the answer.

I choose dart and succeed :)

I hope this helps some people who are having trouble with this.

Dildar
11-01-2008, 01:06 AM
That does help a lot, I guess i am a little too impatient to put that much thought in it.

eldritchwizard
11-01-2008, 02:14 PM

hack
back
cart
cars
home
core
dart
rope

Cart and hack have exactly 1 letter in common, its possible this is the correct word, I choose it.

Onto Cars: 1 letter in common with hack, 3 in common with cart, its possible its the correct word, I choose it.

Now I have the option of leaving and restarting if I dont know the answer, but a quick look through the remaining words shows that Dart is the only other word with 3 letters in common with Cart so It has to be the answer.

I've been typing the words into a text file on my laptop so I can organize the words around easier. Here is an example of how I eliminate words using your list of words:

hack
back
cart
cars
home
core
dart
rope

password = dart

The most common letter looks like the A in the 2nd space, so I look at those words and see what the next most common letter is...

hack
back
cart
cars
dart

Looks like the R in the 3rd place.
Amongst those words...

cart
cars
dart

C in the 1st place and T in the 4th place are tied for 3rd most common, so I'll try to pick a word that has both. In this case it is "cart"
(Note: Going beyond the 4th most common letter is pointless, regardless of the numnber of letters in the words. 5 letters long is the shortest I've seen, 9 letters long is the longest I've seen.)

After entering "cart" the computer tells me 3 letters are correct, so I review the full list of words again and note that "cars" and "dart" are the only two words that match "cart" with exactly 3 letters. So I have a 50/50 chance of guessing the correct password on my 2nd guess.

Using this method of elimination I have ended up with a 50/50 chance of guessing the correct password on my 3rd guess every single time.

blakhart
11-01-2008, 09:48 PM

hack
back
cart
cars
home
core
dart
rope

I used your method, with a spreadsheet template I made up and printed out, with great success. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Ry Fryy
11-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Hacking in this game is a joke. I just had one that told me "WONDER" returned 0/6. The only other word I could select that didn't have any of those letters was "SIGHTS" and it told me that it only matched 3/6.

Um.. wtf? All the other options shared at least one other letter with "WONDER." Freakin' joke..

Blind Fool
11-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Hacking in this game is a joke. I just had one that told me "WONDER" returned 0/6. The only other word I could select that didn't have any of those letters was "SIGHTS" and it told me that it only matched 3/6.

Um.. wtf? All the other options shared at least one other letter with "WONDER." Freakin' joke..It's not just about how many letters it shares but if they are in the right place as well, so it could be an anagram of WONDER but if all the letters are in a different place it would return 0/6

Ry Fryy
11-01-2008, 10:32 PM
It's not just about how many letters it shares but if they are in the right place as well, so it could be an anagram of WONDER but if all the letters are in a different place it would return 0/6
:eek:

All this time.. I thought.. ugh..

I guess I never really got the hang of it with my massive 19 Science points.

I Slippery I
11-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Hacking is simple. Like they said after three tries, back out and try again - this prevents you from being locked out. However, the password does reset.
When you choose a word the computer responds with how many letters in that word are correct. Let's say you choose READING, then it may say "5 of 7 correct" or something like that. Then look through the list of words that are similar to that and try those.

Wish I knew that backing out trick earlier :(.

Edable Giraffe
11-01-2008, 11:52 PM
:eek:

All this time.. I thought.. ugh..

I guess I never really got the hang of it with my massive 19 Science points. I thought the same as you, i thought it was just common letters, not common placing. Aggh thankyou.

Omegafr
11-02-2008, 01:53 AM
The first thing u need to look is if there are words with end in common. Most of the time it "ING" words. Pick one of them. If u don't have at least 3 letters in the good place, u can eliminate all the others words with the same ending.

Then u can use the first method posted in this thread.

Alternative :
- Pick 2 other words. Anyone of them as long as they don't have more than 1 or 2 letters in common beetween them and with the first one you chose.
- Check every word of the list. Usually there is just one word that fits the number of good letters of the three first ones. It's your code. If there is more than one, exit the computer and restart.
- Long method but sure