PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Drum Set Dilemma

JJBDude
11-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Okay well I love playing my GH/Rock Band and now with the new era of the games coming out I want to upgrade and get a drum kit for my Xbox 360 too. Now please read what I have to say and don't just give an opinion on what's better, I have other queries I would like answered please.

Okay firstly I have 2 Guitars (GH2 and GH3) and GH2, GH3 and Rock Band 1. I don't have the Rock Band 1 kid on the Xbox 360 but my dad has on his PS3. Now I want to get a pair of drums so I can make the most out of the games but am in a dilema about what to do. You see pre-orders of 150 give me the GHWT set up (I definitely want GHWT Game Disc btw) and that is tempting to do (pre-order gives you a free bass guitar which I am a sucker for).

Thing is as I am such a big fan of these music games I want to get them all, and this includes Rock Revolution. Now Rock Revolution has 6 pads and a kicker thing correct? Now if I buy my GHWT bundle for 150 (comes out on Friday for UK) then when I get Rock Revolution how will the 5 pads and 1 kicker match up to Rock Revolutions? I know there is options to tone Rock Revolution down so it misses out 1 pad but I don't want to do that, I want to play the game to it's full potential and therefore using a drum kit that is missing one pad frustrates me. I don't know if the Ion kit for Rock Band 2 will ever come out in the UK but I would love that.

Basically I just want some advice on what I should do. I think my best option is to just go for the GHWT bundle cos then I can get the most out of Rock Band 1/2 and GHWT (despite missing out slightly on Rock Revolution), however another thing I am not so keen about is all the problems and reports I've heard about the guitar not working and the drum pedal for GHWT being rubbish.

Could someone just spend the time reading this and try get me out of this paranoid confusion I'm in? Thanks.

Edit:- Oh and I forgot to mention that I could just leave the drums out. I will be happy enough playing with my girlfriend on the 2 guitars I own. The bundle kit would be a present from my Dad given to me at christmas, I could easily cancel getting drums now and get a new TV instead. But I know eventually I want to start getting those drum achievements and become a good drummer. Should I wait for all the games to come out in the UK and see which drum set is the best? I obviously want the Rock Revolution drum set the most considering it has the mose pads but if people who have that tell me now that it's rubbish then I will probably stick to GHWT drums. Once again thanks.

Davem3 TF
11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
well i hope this helps ..........

i have the rock band one drum kits with many mods, i added two ludwig pedals and the twin rocker switch from omega pedals for the double bass effect. the original pedal is junk in my opinion,period. i also added pads and strut bars so i do not snap my heads off in the corners :mad: ( already did it once) and it seems to crosstalk a lot and miss notes :uzi:at times at random. i now have GH:WT band kit and i did beta test it and i think it is awesome as well ;) but it is tough to find and keep in mind it is tougher still to find one that works perfectly well :eek:..........good luck with that.

i have not played it under my tag yet as it will be a birthday present next weekend for my sons, but it has been played under my boosting tag so they do not know about it , yet!

i did see a site that explained everything as far as compatibility with the different games and all the equipment , here is the link...........

http://www.joystiq.com/Instrument-Compatibility-Matrix/

Valiant Goat
11-01-2008, 04:39 PM
I can't believe it, someone who actually is thinking about getting Rock Revolution and with the drums to boot. Seriously though, those drums look more retarded then the game itself. Try reading some reviews of Rock Revolution. I was never getting it to begin with, but still checked out some reviews...they aint pretty.

As someone who has yet to use the GH:WT drums, I'm inclined to say go with the WT drums. You'll get the extra pad for WT, and I've not been impressed by the RB drum kits(all they do well is work really).

Lucent Beam
11-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I have the RB1 drums, RB2 drums, and WT drums.
I hate the bass pedal on the WT drums but I think having the cymbals raised makes it more fun.
But in the end I never use the WT drums (other than the first day I bought it) because they came broken and the red pad won't work all the time and YOU have to pay to ship it back to them, so screw that.
Seems like right now too many people are having problems with their drums and with the fact that Activision wants to you pay for own money to fix a product that they allowed you to buy broken.... I just wouldn't risk it.
If I had known that so many drums were going to be faulty and that I'd have to pay to fix them (or that my guitar was going to be faulty and squeak constantly), I wouldn't have bought the GH:WT bundle

Davem3 TF
11-01-2008, 06:13 PM
i agree with lucent beam with the problems with guitar hero : world tour broken stuff. i bought all my things at wal-mart and the band kit was flawless ( my wife and i tested it out rather quickly), but the world tour guitar bundle came with a broken strum bar and i exchanged it ASAP.

i want to make sure everything works well when they play it after their birthday party next sunday ;).

out of all of them i like the world tour drums the best, well the best bundled drums,

but i would love a set of the ION drum rockers if i could add the extra cymbals for world tour.

has anyone test the rock band pedal in the GH drums yet and does it work???

JJBDude
11-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Thankyou for taking the time and effort to respond. :)

I think I am going to leave out the drums for now, for a few reasons. The biggest concern is obviously getting broken drums that don't work, it may be different in the UK but I think it would be wise of me to wait and see what people say about the drum set we get before I make a purchase.

I'm starting to realise that Rock Revolution is becoming a really unaccepted game, as some of the gurus of the genre have been slagging it off and not willing to give it a try. This pleases me as it makes me realise I don't need to venture into getting the best drum set for it if i'm the only person playing. I will wait for the game to be sold for a bargain and then I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Because I think for now just playing with my guitar is all the fun I need. I played my RB1 drums on PS3 earlier and it is fun yes but I definitely do get bored much quicker than on guitar (my foot always aches) so that's another reason for me deciding to leave it out for now. I will get the game on it's own friday and I shall be happy. :) Thanks all. :)

Dave, I saw a vid on Youtube from PatTheCow when he confirms it is not possible to use the RockBand 1 drum set kicker into Guitar Hero World Tour drum set :(. Hope that helps.

AngrySalad
11-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Thankyou for taking the time and effort to respond. :)

I think I am going to leave out the drums for now, for a few reasons. The biggest concern is obviously getting broken drums that don't work, it may be different in the UK but I think it would be wise of me to wait and see what people say about the drum set we get before I make a purchase.

I'm starting to realise that Rock Revolution is becoming a really unaccepted game, as some of the gurus of the genre have been slagging it off and not willing to give it a try. This pleases me as it makes me realise I don't need to venture into getting the best drum set for it if i'm the only person playing. I will wait for the game to be sold for a bargain and then I'm sure I'll pick it up.

Because I think for now just playing with my guitar is all the fun I need. I played my RB1 drums on PS3 earlier and it is fun yes but I definitely do get bored much quicker than on guitar (my foot always aches) so that's another reason for me deciding to leave it out for now. I will get the game on it's own friday and I shall be happy. :) Thanks all. :)

Dave, I saw a vid on Youtube from PatTheCow when he confirms it is not possible to use the RockBand 1 drum set kicker into Guitar Hero World Tour drum set :(. Hope that helps.

Get the GHIV + Free Bass bundle and sell the drums to someone who wants them. Re-coup the money and keep the free bass. Then maybe buy the RB2 drums afterward. Best of both worlds.

Jaster Mereel04
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Ok i just have to say, the GHWT drums are bad ass, if they work, get the RB2 drums for right now, this week Mad Catz is releasing the 2 cymbal kit, i got mine last week from Amazon and they are bad ass. It still only uses 4 pads, not 5 like the GHWT, but the raised cymbals are bad ass as hell. I like the fact that i can raise em higher than the GHWT cymbals....plus they WORK without flaw. So im probably never going to get the GHWT drums now. As for the kick pedal, i am using the Omega Switch that allows me to use 2 custom kick pedals. I made a DIY pedal from a Tama Iron Cobra Double kick pedal setup and simply awesome, now way to break em and makes the game alot easier to play.

Davem3 TF
11-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Ok i just have to say, the GHWT drums are bad ass, if they work, get the RB2 drums for right now, this week Mad Catz is releasing the 2 cymbal kit, i got mine last week from Amazon and they are bad ass. It still only uses 4 pads, not 5 like the GHWT, but the raised cymbals are bad ass as hell. I like the fact that i can raise em higher than the GHWT cymbals....plus they WORK without flaw. So im probably never going to get the GHWT drums now. As for the kick pedal, i am using the Omega Switch that allows me to use 2 custom kick pedals. I made a DIY pedal from a Tama Iron Cobra Double kick pedal setup and simply awesome, now way to break em and makes the game alot easier to play.

my only problem with the RB 1 or 2 drum kit is dropped notes and crosstalk

and steridan tech now has a twin rocker WT switch out now..........just ordered it ..........i just pray the WT drums will work for as long as my RB one drums have with no major problems :woop: