PDA

View Full Version : Stay in School kids! You too could be paid to research video games!

ThrawnOmega
11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I felt that this would be the proper place to announce this...

As some people have already heard, I'm working with the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire's sociology department doing research on MMORPGs. The specific focus of my research is looking at the transformation of instrumental to affective relationships during play. In simpler term, we're looking to try to uncover what causes shift player behavior from being about the game first (questing, getting loot, etc.) to placing a higher priority on interactions with other players in the game (guilds, partying, etc.)

This research will be conducted by analyzing player narratives in blogs, articles, and other written media over a period of time, and looking for behavior change.

Doing this research won't all be fun and games. Quite a lot of work goes into finding quality sources, reading through them, and performing analysis. Then we need to run through our findings to generate result data, and I'll be presenting my findings at Student Research Day on campus next April. I'll probably be putting a couple hundred hours of work into this, when all is said and done. However, I'm doing it on a topic I find highly interesting, so it'll still be a pretty good time.

For all that work, I've received $2,100 in grant money, as well as 3 Independent study credits, meaning my research also counts as a full class toward graduation. In addition to my Review Team work for x360a, and other college obligations, I'll be a very busy guy;)

Study hard, and if you have a good idea, pursue it. The idea for this project began as a paper I wrote my freshman year, and I continued refining my theory and improving my knowledge, to the point faculty wanted to work with me to get grant money and make it happen. It feels great to make something you've worked towards for so long finally become a reality:woop:

The Pants Party
11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
I played WOW for 11 months so I definitely know what you mean. Went from simply playing for fun with a few friends to merging into a bigger guild and eventually being an officer of that guild. My friends got bored and left but I was sort of an integral part of the guild at that point so it was almost less about having fun with the game than it was keeping the guild under control and managing all the members.

If I never played that shit I'd be over 200k right now. :p -- One addiction for another!

plumbpist
11-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Thats really cool, congratulations!

xRogue 5x
11-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Congrats Thrawn. Well deserved.

ThrawnOmega
11-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Thats really cool, congratulations!
Congrats Thrawn. Well deserved.

Thanks guys:p I'm trying to plow through reviews and homework so I can get a little work done on this. Thankfully, most of the work can be done in the spring, but I'm supposed to have my sources ready to go by the end of the semester.... Let the good times roll:p

A a R o N j 9 0
11-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Could say it's too cool for school but that would be tooooo ironic lol Gratz anyway dude!

Lucent Beam
11-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Aw, that's exciting!
I miss college and researching and writing papers. If only I had enough money to go back.
It's really amazing how much fun "school work" is when it's something you really like.

PunksNotDead2k8
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Cool.. Congratulations mate..

Deathblow23
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
FANTASTIC!!! In a world where so many hate their jobs/work, etc...it's great to see someone enjoy what they are doing despite the fact that it will truly be "work".