PDA

View Full Version : Mike Checka' Tutorial

Apple
11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Mike Checka' Guide
A tutorial for Beat It

This is a tutorial on how to achieve this the easiest way.

You're going to need to learn a couple things before you begin:
-What Freeform is and how you can make the most of it
-How to use the Online Keyboard to manipulate the Freeform
-How to keep a 4x multiplier through-out the song

Freeform

Freeform is a new feature in Guitar Hero that allows you to gain an uprising of points and up to a 7x multiplier (with-in the Freeform, this is separate from your usual 4x multiplier(or 8x if you have star power))

This Freeform will be they key to your gain of 123k in Beat it. Without learning how to use this, it will be impossible to get this on Medium, even if you Full Combo the song.

There are two kinds of Freeform sections in Guitar Hero. One that gains you points and one that cheers the crowd up.

This is the Freeform that gains points.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/yaeger_ryan/Freeform.png
This is the Freeform that cheers the crowd up.
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/yaeger_ryan/FreeformCrowd.png

Online Keyboard

The online keyboard is a keyboard made up of several different keys that you will need to play in order to manipulate the Freeform section into thinking you're singing 7 different pitches, thus raising your multiplier to a much needed 7x.

[Link to Online Keyboard] (http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/resources_ftp/client_ftp/ks2/music/piano/guitar.htm)

Keeping a 4x multiplier

If you're not familiar with this song, you're more than likely not going to be able to keep a 4x multiplier for very long, if at all. So, you're going to need to familiarize yourself with this song as much as possible before you attempt this.

When I first sang this song I wasn't very familiar at all, I couldn't get more than 3x multiplier on Medium and even failed on Expert a couple of times. I listened to the song for a day straight, came back and used this method and was able to keep a 4x multiplier going 75% through the song and even started five staring it on Expert. You will also need to practice a little, if not a lot.

Tutorial
Steps

Firstly, you're going to want to sing this song on Medium because it's the lowest difficulty that can achieve the set goal of 123k.
Start the song in Quickplay, using (I would suggest) your Rockband or Guitar Hero mic. I'm not sure if the headset from your controller would work as well.
The first part of the song is going to be a Freeform section that lasts exactly 14 seconds. This is where the online keyboard comes into play. So open up your online keyboard and get it ready to play for the Freeform section. When you use the online keyboard it should always be set to Guitar.
What you're going to want to do is put your mic right in front of your computer speakers, so the mic can pick up the different pitches from the online keyboard. Try not to use laptop speakers because they tend not to be able to reach the volume needed. I would use normal computer speakers (set to very high volume) or hook your laptop up to a stereo (The volume needs to be very, very loud. Seriously).
Once you're in the Freeform section of the song, play the different notes by hitting U, Y, T, F, E, W. (Bb, G#, F#, F, D#, C#) You will need to hit each note about 2-3 times (or until the game picks up the multiplier). When you go through this rotation you will end at W (C#) with a 7x multiplier, but after you have that you are going to want to keep pressing the Y (G#) key to keep the points rising until the end of the Freeform.
During the Freeform you should accumulate around 1600 x 7 points or 11,200 points.
At the end, hit start so you can get ready to sing the actual song. You will need to keep a 4x multiplier for most of the song, or at least until you reach the second Freeform section.

How to use star-power effectively
Until you reach the second Freeform section

You will get numerous amounts of star-power in this song. You will want to use star-power right when you get it, just about every time. Once you hit the 50k mark (depending on if you kept a 4x multiplier or not) you will want to save the rest of your star-power for the second Freeform.

You will soon come to a phrase that starts out as "beat it, beat it..." then in that same phrase is the second Freeform section. This Freeform is a lot shorter than the first one, but is way more effective in scoring points, and here's why.
Right after you pass "beat it, beat it..." but before you start the second Freeform section, you will want to use star-power here, then hit start to get your online keyboard ready again.
If you've done everything correctly you will have a 4x multiplier with used star-power, which will make it a 8x multiplier.
You will want to do the exact same thing as the first Freeform section here. As I said before, this Freeform section is a lot shorter because it only lasts 5.5 seconds this time (instead of 14 seconds) so you will have to be fast when using your online keyboard. I usually got up to a 6x multiplier, but it is possible to hit 7x, just practice if you are having trouble raising it that high (7x is ideal).
When you get to the end you should have 600 x 7 points or 4,200 points. If you combine that with the 8x multiplier, this will score you about 33,600 just from that second Freeform section. Hit start at the end of the Freeform section and continue to keep a 4x multiplier until the end of the song.

Watch what to do
A video on timing

Below is a video I created which shows exactly what to do from a video point of view. If you listen closely you can hear the different pitches from the online keyboard during both of the Freeform sections. Good luck.

YouTube - GHWT - Beat It - Vocals - Medium 125k

Necrite980
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Great idea to write this tutorial.

Thanks!

Wewer132
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
You are god Apple. You just gave me the best opportunity to get the complete 1000 in this game. Thank you so much man, i started to play the online keyboard and its fun. I can never get the "No one wants to be defeated" part correct, i always sing too high. Thank you so much for the guide though, you saved me much complaining to the Guitar Hero community for a singing patch.

Joegismoe
11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for this post. I was reading it in the other thread but it was hard to understand. This one anyone can understand. Thanks

Valiant Goat
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Great guide, I might give this a whirl sometime soon. I only have the 360 headset to function as my mic so I' guess I'll see how that goes.

Iv VeNoM vI
11-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Diddnt help me :(

dm master
11-05-2008, 01:39 AM
i think i am in love with a fruit... :)

First the guide now this u are amazing :)

Nastadon
11-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Diddnt help me :(Same. I'll give it another try some other time though. Maybe it'll work then.

lisergic456
11-05-2008, 02:02 AM
OK Apple,,,

first off.. congrats..

secondly.... I'm doing exactlt what your saying and haven't passed 40k on medium.. my Girlfriend, who has an awesome voice can't do any better..

i'm fine o the freeform sections.. but the mic just doesn't give me credit for some of the vocals. are you singing or humming?? we are baffled on how to do this as we both have good voices...

help me out bro..

Valiant Goat
11-05-2008, 02:04 AM
i think i am in love with a fruit... :)...

lol, you realize what you've done right? j/k...too funny though

I might have to quote that in my sig

Wewer132
11-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Urg.... I can't get the dang multipliers during the freeforms. I put my laptop at its highest volume and it registers it but doesn't give me the x7 multiplier. I'm about to try speakers, any good speakers that can hook up to a 2007 model year laptop? Also i score around 65-70k per run without the freeforms, is that any good?
EDIT: Just hit 85k with 5k at most from freeform, is that any good?

ShadyKav
11-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Without this I can score 99k on medium...

Oh how I wonder what I'll get with it.

Apple
11-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Diddnt help me :(
Same. I'll give it another try some other time though. Maybe it'll work then.

What are you guys having trouble with exactly? Maybe I can help.

OK Apple,,,

first off.. congrats..

secondly.... I'm doing exactlt what your saying and haven't passed 40k on medium.. my Girlfriend, who has an awesome voice can't do any better..

i'm fine o the freeform sections.. but the mic just doesn't give me credit for some of the vocals. are you singing or humming?? we are baffled on how to do this as we both have good voices...

help me out bro..

It's really all about being able to sing the song perfect on the Medium difficulty. You'll need to hit 92% to 96% just to get over 123k. After you can do that regularly, it comes down to working the freeform sections, that's getting 7x on the first one and at least 6x on the second one while keeping a 4x multiplier the entire time.

Urg.... I can't get the dang multipliers during the freeforms. I put my laptop at its highest volume and it registers it but doesn't give me the x7 multiplier. I'm about to try speakers, any good speakers that can hook up to a 2007 model year laptop? Also i score around 65-70k per run without the freeforms, is that any good?
EDIT: Just hit 85k with 5k at most from freeform, is that any good?

Haha, that's exactly why I put this in the tutorial

What you're going to want to do is put your mic right in front of your computer speakers, so the mic can pick up the different pitches from the online keyboard. Try not to use laptop speakers because they tend not to be able to reach the volume needed. I would use normal computer speakers (set to very high volume) or hook your laptop up to a stereo.

My laptop has premium sound but just was not loud enough to pick up the pitch. You will need to seriously crank your speakers as loud as they go until it sounds as loud as an amp.

85k is up there, but if you are using the freeform sections right, you should at least get 100k. (that's with breaking a multiplier 3 or 4 times)

PlanetGalida
11-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Apple, I really appreciate the tips and thought you put into this thread - thanks!!

Cranked the computer speakers REALLY LOUDLY, saw how to get the 7x and the 6x multipliers for the two freeforms... and after a few hours of learning the tune otherwise.... JUST GOT IT!

Thanks again for this.....:)

Nastadon
11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
What are you guys having trouble with exactly? Maybe I can help.Freeform sections. Can't get 7x no matter what I do. I can get 6, but I end up with like 7k points at the end if that. My speakers are pretty loud, I would go higher but there is always someone else home. Gotta wait for a day off when no one is home so I can blast the speakers see if that works lol.

thenixhex311
11-06-2008, 02:40 PM
im to the point now where i wish someone would just record them on the computer playing the tones for the 2nd freeform section. Ive officially got as far as i can do (having about 60k) going into the 2nd multiplier, 4x

I have no problem with the first one. I just cant figure out the right volume / hit the key combination to get the freeform multiplier up. One time it will work, next it wont. Highest ive gotten AFTER it is 75k. Ive tried:

mashing the keys (uuuuuuuuu,yyyyyyyyy,ttttttttt,fffffffff,eeeeeeee, wwwwwwww,yyyyyyyy)

hitting them like a trill over and over
(uytfewyuytfewy)

2-3x each key
(uuyyttffeewwyyuuyy)

Just getting frustrated with this. Ive maxed out my vocal scores to my ability (i believe) and have had a note streak/4x through the song countless times here. It just sucks to make it halfway through the song to tank on that 2nd freeform and have to start over, and over, and over!

/end venting!

Mah Weezy
11-06-2008, 08:11 PM
incredible guide, however i think im gonna have my gf try it first on hard or expert, if that doesnt work, then ill try this

thenixhex311
11-07-2008, 06:15 AM
i am officially hoarse from singing this song like 30x today. Its a random mix of:

tanking (9800-10000) the first freeform and nailing the first vocals (having around 56k) and tanking the second freeform (either the game not recognizing me spamming the online keyboard or not doing it right or whatever, OR breaking combo going into it)

or doing shitty singing the first part, getting like 40k and then OF COURSE miraculously nailing the second free form and getting like 30k out of it.

I dont know how many times I've had 4x multiplier after the last 'beat it beat it' before the 2nd freeform, to only active starpower, switch audio input on my receiver, plug in headphones, sit mic inside phones, and re-start game only to have it kick me back to 2x as soon as the freeform starts.

This and satch boogie are giving me problems!

thenixhex311
11-07-2008, 07:32 PM
this is just driving me nuts. I completely mastered the first part of the song on medium. I get about 60k going into the second freeform. My problem was/is that right when i activated starpower before it, i would drop from 8x immediately down to 2x upon entering the 2nd freeform. I figured i didnt nail the last 'beat ii beat it' before it correctly.

So this time i just got a 4x-8x multi all the way though the song, had the note streak all the way to the last 'beat it beat it' and activated starpower RIGHT before it. I nailed the 'beat it beat it' and still had 8x after it, but as soon as i entered the freeform and pressed the U on my keyboard (for the online keyboard) i got kicked back to 2x and only got like 8000 out of the 2nd freeform.

ARGH?!?

Any ideas? Apple, what key do you start with in the second freeform? Feel like recording it to an mp3 file? LOL (<------SLIGHTLY serious!)

Apple
11-08-2008, 12:02 AM
haha, I'm not even sure recording it would work, I think it has to do with the volume a little bit.

I do know what you're talking about when it dropped to 2x, but I never figured out why it did that. I don't think it's from missing the "beat it, beat it..." in the same section, but the "beat it, beat it..." the previous section ends with.

I use the keys the same way the guide says, U, Y, T, F, E, W.

Lucent Beam
11-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Ugh, I am hating this song more and more. It's really an annoying key to sing in and I'm sucking hardcore. And it's not even fun anymore. Think I just may give up on the achievement.

good ol boy366
11-11-2008, 08:34 AM
okay, so while sitting and letting my fan finish the vocal career on beginner for me...i was studying how sp works for vocals...the way i was doing it (and many others i reckon) was deploying it at or near the beginning of a phrase, but this is not the most points efficient way to do it.

the way the vocals points system works (at least on beginner) is:

1. you get 100 points per phrase
2. at 4x you get 400 points
3. under sp, you get 800 points, but only if the sp is in effect during the end part of the phrase (when the "comet" does that little green explosion).

so, what i started to do was wait until the end of a phrase and deployed sp (using the controller) and that way i was able to still get 800 points for that phrase and then maybe squeeze in an extra phrase or two (depending on the speed of the song) under sp!

maybe this will help some of you get a few extra points in this song (i have not attempted it yet, because i'm rubbish at singing).

Stufin135
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the guide apple :) i haven't quite got this down yet but i couldn't do the virtual keyboard thing. So i used my Guitar Pro to create a lil thing and tried that out.

Heres a quick screen shot of what i have done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/stufin135/GP.jpg

Bassically i have used the frets 19, 14, 11, 9, 7, 4 & 2 on the B string. Made them a power chord made each note a 16th and played them twice.
set the time sig to 28/16.
looped that pattern so it plays twice in one bar.
made the bar a repeat of 99x.
used a tempo of 130.
Lastly used a overdriven guitar at full volume.
This seemes to work well for me got me hitting around 2000 x 6 in the first freeform. For the second i left it going through the audience freeform as well as i noticed it gave me a little bit of Star Power.

I hope this helps anyone who can't do the virtual keyboard.

I also imagine this will work in Power Tab.

My highest score is about 116,000 on this on medium, mainly because i can't keep a streak singing and fuck up bad on the outro.

thenixhex311
11-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the guide apple :) i haven't quite got this down yet but i couldn't do the virtual keyboard thing. So i used my Guitar Pro to create a lil thing and tried that out.

Heres a quick screen shot of what i have done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/stufin135/GP.jpg

Bassically i have used the frets 19, 14, 11, 9, 7, 4 & 2 on the B string. Made them a power chord made each note a 16th and played them twice.
set the time sig to 28/16.
looped that pattern so it plays twice in one bar.
made the bar a repeat of 99x.
used a tempo of 130.
Lastly used a overdriven guitar at full volume.
This seemes to work well for me got me hitting around 2000 x 6 in the first freeform. For the second i left it going through the audience freeform as well as i noticed it gave me a little bit of Star Power.

I hope this helps anyone who can't do the virtual keyboard.

I also imagine this will work in Power Tab.

My highest score is about 116,000 on this on medium, mainly because i can't keep a streak singing and fuck up bad on the outro.

can you post a link to your .gp5 file?

Stufin135
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
i haven't uploaded it anywhere as the only place i know that accepts them is ultimate-guitar and well i dont want to clog their site :P lol

thenixhex311
11-11-2008, 05:54 PM
i haven't uploaded it anywhere as the only place i know that accepts them is ultimate-guitar and well i dont want to clog their site :P lol

you could use a site like sharefile or rapidhost.

Stufin135
11-11-2008, 06:00 PM
you could use a site like sharefile or rapidhost.
alright then next problem mines the 5.2 version lol hence the not having RSE. I don't know how they made a newer version that was older then the previous.

thenixhex311
11-11-2008, 06:02 PM
alright then next problem mines the 5.2 version lol hence the not having RSE. I don't know how they made a newer version that was older then the previous.

i have 5.2 also ( i havent used it in a while tho)

isnt there an option to save to mp3?

Stufin135
11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
There we go i uploaded both to savefile There not anything special just makes it easier then using that damn virtual keyboard :P lol

GP Tab http://www.savefile.com/files/1882173

MIDI http://www.savefile.com/files/1882175

oh and it saves MIDI not MP3 you just open a new GP and click import > MIDI and then your file :P

Stufin135
11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Finally got this today ussing Guitar Pro as my keeyboard (thanks for the tips apple)

I got 128,425, 91% and a 52 note streak the only sections i 100% was the freeforms lol.

So yeah use the GP method its a bit easier and i didn't even sing to get the achievement i just hummed :P

ezekiel 08
11-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the guide Apple, I didn't even think of this method but now I might have a chance!

There we go i uploaded both to savefile.

Thank you so much for the MIDI, I don't have that software you mentioned but I can still use your MIDI in Windows Media Player :).

Pyroman31
11-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Awesome tip man. Definately going to use it.

Stufin135
11-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the guide Apple, I didn't even think of this method but now I might have a chance!

Thank you so much for the MIDI, I don't have that software you mentioned but I can still use your MIDI in Windows Media Player :).
It's allright, let me know how you get on because well if it doesn't work then i will delete the files so it doesn't waste everyones time lol.

GUNSLiiNGER
11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
thanks it was a big help

jello
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, it helped me out. I thought I was going to have to learn how to sign in this game on expert -_-

And thanks to Stufin for the midi file. I wasn't able to get up to x7 on either of the freeform sections, but the x6 in the first one was enough for me to manage to get 127,000 points.

Stufin135
11-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, it helped me out. I thought I was going to have to learn how to sign in this game on expert -_-

And thanks to Stufin for the midi file. I wasn't able to get up to x7 on either of the freeform sections, but the x6 in the first one was enough for me to manage to get 127,000 points.

Yeah it just doesn't get you to that x7, but after hours trying notes to get it there i realised it was getting 2000 x 6 and i then realised i was getting about 12,000 after the first freeform and checked it to apples amount and it was a bit more then he was getting on a x7. So i thought it was fine like that lol.

Teh_Joker
11-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I will try it out. Thanks.

LeglessMoof
11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm having a problem. My star power deploys automatically, so I can't save it for the 2nd freeform section. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind. I tried holding the mic a different way and it stopped deploying star power automatically.

With this guide and a few hours practice I was able to get the achievement. Thanks!

ChaosLegend
11-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I would be able to get this achievement if not for the fact that the beat it beat it part just before the second freeform broke my combo every single time. I know there is a "magic pitch" to sing to scrape a yellow since I've done it once or twice now but its really tight and difficult to hit. Is there an easier way to keep combo here?

MkMaster13
11-30-2008, 04:36 AM
I tried this for eight hours straight and can't get it
plus my computer if far from my xbox
so if theirs not another way to do this then i might just give up :mad:

DM Seraphim
12-07-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm wondering if it's achievable if you use an ipod or something and play the song into the mic. Any ideas?

Stufin135
12-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm wondering if it's achievable if you use an ipod or something and play the song into the mic. Any ideas?
Well you can but there is many problems.

It picks up sounds from all instruments so you will miss most notes.
You need an isolated version with just vocals
Getting the timing right is a very big problem you could never get them to start at the same time at the start.
Don't forget GH will bring out the vocal levels so you only hear Jacko singing and so on so you'd also have to find a version that contains all the prats of the song you need.
Also all versions of the song are different, single versions are always different to video versions or album versions or ext. versions. Not so big a problem on most songs but this song there is a few different versions of.
The list goes on but they are the main problems if you can get round them good luck ;) and also ipod not speakers full volume yes :)

SeriousTroggers
12-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I actually got this on my first try without too much effort. Most of the verses are the same note and I just used my star power during free forms and the short sections. Got the achievement with a whole 500 pts to spare. haha.

witide
12-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Why can't you just mute all the other instruments, and put the mic between a pair of headphones coming from the TV?

Stufin135
12-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Why can't you just mute all the other instruments, and put the mic between a pair of headphones coming from the TV?
I don't know why but when i have tried turning all other instruments volume down it doesn't really do anything lol, might just be me. Also this is more on how to use freeform to get loads of points.

witide
12-15-2008, 03:53 AM
Nah it doesn't work. Even if I put the volume down for everything but vocals and set the volume to max, I end up failing...

edit: I just can't do this song at all. The highest I can get in the freeform is around 7k, and thats just by purring like I saw in a youtube video. Using the online keyboard doesn't seem to work and I can only get around 300 points...

IceKingz
12-17-2008, 01:33 AM
I can't get this on Medium. I can sing everything 'near' perfectly and get like 80k. On the second freeform if I even manage to keep a X4 from that stupid last 'beat it beat it' I used it and only get like a x4 in the multiplier with star power activating and get about 480 points... I don't get this at all. Yes, I kept a x4 overall, yes I used star power right before, yes I used the online keyboard (although I don't see how anyone can do it fast at all). I don't get it. I'll probably just keep practicing on hard or expert.

IceKingz
12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Agh, nevermind I'm still gonna give it another shot. Sorry for ranting a bit I was just trying this for a while and it was driivng me nuts. I finally realized what you meant by the U,Y,T, etc. I was trying to click each individual note taking an eternity. I'm going to try this method again, the only possible explanation for the 400 pts on the second was that my meter must have gone back to x2 (w/ starpower). *Sigh* I got a 2-hr delay from school right now so I'm gonna give this a shot. If not I'll probably get it this afternoon.

Edit: Sweet, after 2 runs I have 120k. Gonna keep at it, I'll probably get it in just as sec =D Thanks for the guide.
Edit2: GOT IT! Technically 4 tries total because I messed up on that beat it right before the 2nd freepart. Ended up getting 124,634 so it was still pretty close and I kept a x4 the entire time but I got a near choke at the end, dunno how I kept a x4 but I'm not complaining. Thanks again for that guide.

Apple
12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
It took me a couple hours to get it the first time. You really have to blast your speakers for the online keyboard, and make sure they're not laptop speakers. ;)

Nirumano
12-18-2008, 02:37 AM
first of all i only have laptop speakers, and they don't seem to work. secondly i live in an appartment complex, so i would probably get complaints for making too much noise if i did get it loud enough:( and thirdly, i cant even hit a single phrase either singing or humming, i just fail pretty fast.. :( I even fail on easy.. I always hated singing, but didn't know it would be this hard! Guess I can just forget about this achievement.

Iv VeNoM vI
12-18-2008, 03:54 AM
This is actually easier on expert.

SeriousTroggers
12-18-2008, 02:54 PM

That's what I was thinking...a lot easier.

IceKingz
12-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Not for me. The Mic seems to lag horribly on Hard and Expert so even though you get the pitches right, it doesn't read them half of the time and you don't get up in the multiplier. Your supposed to do these achievements on higher difficulties but unless you play vocals often I think the Medium option is much easier when you figure out how that 2nd freeform works.

Stufin135
12-18-2008, 07:53 PM
You don't even have the achievement so how can you say that?

The Afterburner
12-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Just got this with just over 124,000 i came so close twice with 122,00 and 123,251 luckily got a star power phase right at the end phase to get it past 123,450 used stufin135's MIDI file in WMP worked a treat thanks, and thanks to apple for the tips :)

Shelton
12-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi. I'm having a little trouble with the freeform sections. I can manage 91% notes hit and am sure if I can get the freeform down I'll get the achievement.

I burned Stufin's Midi file to a cd, am using it in my stereo. It picks up the sound easily enough, but it never goes past 1x.

Is there some sort of trick to it? Settings I should change?

I can get a 6x on the first Freeform section using my vocals, but the second I only manage a paltry 3x.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chewie
12-30-2008, 02:44 AM
There we go i uploaded both to savefile There not anything special just makes it easier then using that damn virtual keyboard :P lol

GP Tab http://www.savefile.com/files/1882173

oh and it saves MIDI not MP3 you just open a new GP and click import > MIDI and then your file :P

This needs to go in the OP ASAP!
I was trying and trying with that damned keyboard and the highest I got was 120k, first time I used that MIDI file and I got 129,616 playing the MIDI on Windows Media Player through my LAPTOP SPEAKERS!
92%, 48 streak

superkid1995
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
i would have it but i cant sing

Stufin135
12-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I was trying and trying with that damned keyboard and the highest I got was 120k, first time I used that MIDI file and I got 129,616 playing the MIDI on Windows Media Player through my LAPTOP SPEAKERS!
92%, 48 streak
Yeah but the noise that it is is very annoying, you have to admit that lol. I did try to make it very high so i could have my volume not so loud but it coulld still be picked up lol.

anusmonger
12-31-2008, 09:52 PM
the midi works great for the free form unfortunately i cant sing worth a dam so i cant keep a multiplier for the song. even when i humm my best is about 85%

guess ill just have to keep playing this song for a few days straight

lol that will be fun

BenderIsKing
01-01-2009, 11:06 AM
so, i tried this and utterly failed.
the mic was picking up the sound of the speakers, (it gave me a ton of points,) but it never gave me the multiplier.... I did EXACTLY as you said and my speakers can go up to about 45-50 decibels. What am I doing wrong?

sniperX47
01-02-2009, 03:19 AM
I find it hysterical that the people posting how well they did without your help are all males. Do you realize that my being "manly" be being "better" you are signing away your "manliness"? This is Michael Jackson!!! He's great but barely makes the cut as a man.

Sm1thy93
01-03-2009, 12:00 AM
92%, 48 streak

DID U JUST PLAY THE SONG ALL THE WAY THROUGH ????? OR JUST IN THE FREEFORM PARTS I CARNT SING ON THIS FOR S*** LOL I awesome at lips lol haha plz help

Itsbrown4606
01-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I find it hysterical that the people posting how well they did without your help are all males. Do you realize that my being "manly" be being "better" you are signing away your "manliness"? This is Michael Jackson!!! He's great but barely makes the cut as a man.

Honestly, if that's what you think, you're just flat-out ignorant.

Shelton
01-05-2009, 07:04 AM
so, i tried this and utterly failed.
the mic was picking up the sound of the speakers, (it gave me a ton of points,) but it never gave me the multiplier.... I did EXACTLY as you said and my speakers can go up to about 45-50 decibels. What am I doing wrong?

I had this problem to begin with. Honestly though, the volume needs to be set so high, and the mic should be pressed close to the speakers.

Increasing the volume fixed the problem. Once I was able to use that midi file for the freeform, I got the achievement straight away.

~Thanks for the guide Apple.

~Thanks for the Midi File Stufin.

Damage Dam
01-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey guys, for anyone who can't get the achievement using this guide, which is excellent, I've found a youtube video which, if synched with the song on Expert and putting the mic in front of your speakers, you can get it, I got it on the first run through using my headset. Thanks to jLamz for the video

YouTube - How to get Mike Checka' Achievement on GHWT: Vocals Expert - Beat it

Tips
Turn all sounds down except for Vocal's and Mic
Must be on Expert Difficulty

Hope this helps you as it helped me

Luke847
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
The above video has been posted in this thread http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=117778 and has also got lots of tips on how to sync up :)

Stufin135
01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't think most people in this thread would be happy about that vid if they are trying hard to get this. Also as mentioned before there already is a thread saying about it.

Tips

Also just cruious how would this help your holding the mic to your pc not your tv?

XFirePuppetX
01-30-2009, 05:03 AM
you are awsome i just got it 127907 thanks for the tutourial

Hylian Hero13
02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Did you really get 30,000 with that second freeform???

was it that high because of Star power there, because im pretty sure you didnt get 30k there with pitch

Stufin135
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Did you really get 30,000 with that second freeform???

was it that high because of Star power there, because im pretty sure you didnt get 30k there with pitch
It's not constant pitch its different pitches all played in one secquence really fast eg a scale of the notes A,B,C,D,E,F,G. That scale is repeated really fast and gives loads of points and increases the multiplyer. All he has to do is hit about 3,750 in the freeform section and multiply that by 8 and he gets 30,000.

Hylian Hero13
02-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Yea i understand now, sorry for be too lazy to read thoroughly

Just did it correctly for the first time and got 120k DX so close

jdang
02-15-2009, 11:05 AM
this achievement along with many others is glitched for me =( i got 144k on expert and no achievement. is there any way i can fix this??

Zacry072
02-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Ugh, this just doesn't work for me. I can sing good, but I'll never get this achievement. My mic doesn't pick up the tones from the keyboard sufficiently to get lots of points, and I can't keep a multiplier for long anyway because short little parts like "beat it, beat it" say I'm not hitting them at all. I hate this.

M1N1rugby
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
i can get the 1st freeform to x7 but i cant get the 2nd higher than a 4x
how do u guys get the 2nd freeform such a high score

Stufin135
02-28-2009, 06:30 PM
i can get the 1st freeform to x7 but i cant get the 2nd higher than a 4x
how do u guys get the 2nd freeform such a high score
Are you using the MIDI file or a re you using the Virtual keyboard?
If your using the keyboard I would say at the second part because you have been singing your just not getting the keyboard playing right.
If your using the MIDI then you might not be holding the mic close enough after moving it from the first time. you just gotta try to get it closer or maybe turn up your volume.

thefonz1986
03-01-2009, 08:15 AM
u can use ur headset's mic....yet it is somewhat difficult to use.....i can't seem to get better than beginner at the moment.....just gotta keep working on it i guess

i'll get there someday somehow....

darkavenger786
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
This is a long thing and requires a lot of time and effort. Fudge the effort, i want the achievement. I'll try by playing the song on expert through my phone speaker and putting the speaker against the mic. if it works, i'll let you people know.

Xx 8cho
03-13-2009, 07:46 PM
I wanted to start my own thread in hopes that more people would read some of my tips but I hope this helps..
1. Expert diff.
2. use the youtube vid by JLamz
3. use a COMPUTER NOT A LAPTOP
4. speaker volume has to be ALL the way up
5. most importantly use BOTH of your speakers side by side
using this method i got it on the first try 124,048!!

cgc1221
03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
This is so hard and it is keeping me from 1000G! Probably the hardest Guitar Hero achievement ever in my opinion...

Wyku
03-19-2009, 02:30 AM
I got it using the YouTube video on HARD -- 127,119 ;).

good ol boy366
03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
wow...when you get it to work...it REALLY works! i tried this method maybe a tops of 4-5 times with various outcomes (some low scores, some failures, some new high scores)...but after making a few adjustments and using a combination of the midi file during freeform and the video for the rest of the song (on expert)...it unlocked with ease!

really, the key is the midi file...i got like 20,000 points on the first freeform, and i messed up and didn't have any sp ready for the second one, but it didn't matter because i was right at 121,000 points at that moment! i ended up with like 165,000!

thanks everyone for all the tips!

CyanideSpirit
04-10-2009, 06:23 AM
This was a life saver

HJO1403
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyone Willing to help me with the band vs band achievement?
i have all instruments so can do whatever everyone else aint doing

ixnay37
04-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Argh, that "beat it, beat it" part right before the 2nd freeform breaks my streak EVERY DAMN TIME.

I'm able to get the keyboard working just fine with my laptop speakers, but I have to make sure the mic and the laptop speaker are physically touching so that it picks up the vibrations.

xesx StarFox
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
if you don't want to actually sing you can just go on you tube and get it that way. i got on my second try just by syncing it up with the vid.

TriRock
04-22-2009, 05:48 AM
Hey guys, for anyone who can't get the achievement using this guide, which is excellent, I've found a youtube video which, if synched with the song on Expert and putting the mic in front of your speakers, you can get it, I got it on the first run through using my headset. Thanks to jLamz for the video

YouTube - How to get Mike Checka' Achievement on GHWT: Vocals Expert - Beat it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjW4rXklGcM)

Tips
Must be on Expert Difficulty

Hope this helps you as it helped me

Thank you for this. I just turned the TV volume off and cranked up the speaker volume, while pressing the GH mic against one speaker. Second time unlocked it. :)

Edit - I feel dirty now. Cheating to get a Michael Jackson achievement. :(

Smizzle T
05-15-2009, 09:00 PM
sweet shit http://card.mygamercard.net/community/360style/Smizzle+T.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/Smizzle+T)

Smizzle T
05-15-2009, 09:02 PM
http://card.mygamercard.net/community/360style/Smizzle+T.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/Smizzle+T) Cool beans.

Stufin135
05-16-2009, 10:54 PM
You do know that code for that banner can be posted in your sig don't you?

ajennice
05-24-2009, 05:24 AM
If you're having trouble in the freeform, Record the keyboard parts on a MP3 player for the required time and key up the MP3 of the freeform when you need it. Depending on the recording software you can adjust the speeds and get it really maxxed out for the 2 freeforms.

I've done it 2 times already but ironically it wasn't on my HDD or my gt. Going to get it on mine tomorrow when I can get my friends MP3 player we used.

You can also download the NCH tone generator (free) and chart the song ( takes about 30 minutes) and record it to mp3/wav and key it up when the song starts. If you incorperate the keyboard and the tone generator into one file, you can start the file wit the song and if you're lucky on the 2 start times you'll ace this song with well above 123,000..... In theroy

AJ

Trombonafide
06-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow. The legend died today.

R.I.P. Michael Jackson (1958-2009)

Crimson Ridley
06-25-2009, 11:01 PM
I think I'm gonna put World Tour in, and play Beat It one more time. :(

Party Of Thr33
06-28-2009, 12:15 AM
R.I.P. MJ , now I'm, about to get the Mike Checka achievement

loozered
07-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I cannot for the life of me get enough points in the second freestyle. This is fucking ridiculous, how the fuck can you get 30,000?! I've followed the guide exactly and can only get around 10k at best, so then i'm finishing the song with around 110,000. Seriously.. what the hell am i doing wrong?!

ofay
08-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Dd anyone ever try using grage band to play the piano and record and loop it? If that works you could just play it on loop and have it going the whole time you were signing and just pu lt the mic to the speaker when you needed it.

5h4D0wSn1p3r41
09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah Thats All Cool, But My Mic Doesn't Reach My Computer, What Do I Do ??? :mad:

Apple
09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah Thats All Cool, But My Mic Doesn't Reach My Computer, What Do I Do ??? :mad:

Buy A Laptop

Boone180
09-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Just got this a few seconds ago using this tutorial.

Only thing I did different was I used the online keyboard to get the note and actually use my voice to imitate it rather than use the keyboard itself.

I was able to get about 1600 x7 on the first freeform and 600 x7 on the second.

The rest just fell into place nicely, either way thank you for this tutorial! It helped!

ShinjiMessiah
11-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Thank you very much for this guide

Ningamer
11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I got 22k on medium. And I nearly failed loads of times. Maybe I should give up. I can't sing for shit.

gamerenemy
11-18-2009, 02:22 AM
RE5 isn't that bad, it is sitting infront of tv endurance achievements rather than actual challenges

JIake
12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
how exactly do i get your file stuffin?

Stufin135
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
how exactly do i get your file stuffin?
It looks like the site I uploaded the file to no longer exsists. The file was nothing special and just made noise to get points in the freeform sections. People thought it sung the whole song for them which it didn't.

You might as well do what everyone else is doing and sync the mic up to a video on youtube and get it that way ;)

halfiepint
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
What if you have a regular keyboard? Can you use that?

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow this booting my score from 20k to 50k. for anybody still having trouble with this:

If you have the ability to aquire a keyboard, do it, it works alot better than the online one.
and Practice you'll get better at if use this method and practice it, my score is going up by almost 2-5k each time.

:)

XxFrAsZeRxX
02-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow this booted my score from 20k to 50k. for anybody still having trouble with this:

If you have the ability to acquire a keyboard, do it, it works a lot better than the online one.
and Practice you'll get better at if use this method and practice it, my score is going up by almost 2-5k each time.

:) and yes halfiepint, this works better with a keyboard IMO as i stated above.

Illerongis
10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
even using the youtube vid, the highest I get on this was close to 100k...

using computer speakers on both sides of mic

max volume

sync'd perfectly (im a video editor, i know it's sync'd perfect)

and nothing, it picks up some of it, but it never keeps a streak going past more than 5, if that...

it sounds super distorted coming out of the speakers, is it possible I have it too loud?

Reapersoldier13
10-17-2010, 06:53 AM
thanks bro really helped me out

ParsleyParsnips
02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
:( cant do this as my computer screen is my xbox screen :@

undergr3nades
04-17-2011, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the virtual keyboard tips. I couldn't figure out how to get my free form up. Just perfecting my techniques hoping to get past the 105K hump I'm stuck at. Thanks man.

Kairi
08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
If you still need help for this...set the difficulty to expert and then put the mic up to your computer and laptop and play this video:
Beat It Vocals Mike Checka' Achievement - From Computer Speakers - YouTube

This method got me over 168K and my achievement very easily. :)