ATTN, Pros of DDR (1000 or near 1000)

I came up with an idea for a near perfect guide for these games. Most people here probably agree with me that DDR is one of the hardest games to get 1000 on and even though it's possible with lots of practice, guides can definately make it easier. It was today though that I thought of a guide that would be VERY challenging to make but would possibly create a near flawless way to beat the challenges (or at least cut the difficulty down severely)

I don't even know if this is possible but if there was/is a program where you can customize your own notes on a computer and you somehow manage to copy your exact button patterns onto this program, you could create a simplified method of your strategy used to beat a specific mission.

In case that confused you too much, let's say someone's done this and now a new person is using this as a guide. What he does is take a premade downloaded song track with steps that show on the computer in a slowed down form so it's easy to read. He times it perfectly so the song and the chart starts at the same time but what he does is he plays off of the COMPUTER and not the actual game. If the person charted it right, there should be no mess ups and you won't have to be confused with extra speeding notes, poisoned notes, double jumps, consecutives, etc.

Here's the cons of this though:

-I dont even know if this method is POSSIBLE to do, as in is there even a program that is possible to customize it in the same way as you play in the game? Maybe if you manage to hack the game somehow onto the computer and have it copy your button presses?

-The player will still need a good amount of talent but the thing that helps is that the player will have a very simple, easy to read version of the song. No notes he should avoid, no rediculous speeds, etc but there's still probably very challenging parts that requires practicing.

Does anyone else mildly support the idea? I don't know if the faults seemed like something way too big enough to stop this idea but does anyone else think it would at least help more than a guide saying, avoid any extras, memorize the patterns, *insert another command that's no where near easy and requires much practice*?

You could do that, or you could write the notes down on a piece of paper which is what I do sometimes. As long as you write them well, it's just as easy. But that doesn't help with challenges that involve some insane timing. Like, the two where you have to get 100% marvelous, and the one of them that has a slowdown and is basically impossible. I got it on my 9th try out of sheer luck.

There's one on U3 that is actually impossible. It's the club challenge at Club Ara. It can't be beaten because the timing window's glitched.

Isn't there an option that lets you add lag or change the timing when you hit a note? I figured that would help make the challenge easier if you can get 100% perfects on a song so then just add a little lag to where you get 100% marvelous instead. I haven't played in a while though so I get marvelous nearly everytime -_- Kind of aggravating because I know I have rhythm...

Just to let you know...

Yes, the program is possible and yes, it would cost a pretty penny to set up the hardware. You could do the same deal as the Bejeweled bot with different programming.

SERIOUS?! That's awesome. The only problem is that I don't know anyone good enough who would bother to make the programs. My guess was Vesper but I haven't seen Vesper in a while =/

How exactly would this process work and about how much money are you talking about? I would love to also do this but I'm one of the people who NEEDS the guides, not really make it. Although I haven't really sat down and just crammed to try to beat the hardest missions. I pick up to games very well (took a few days for me to beat Expert when I first bought GH and now I've maxed the first 3) so maybe I might pick up to this rhtyhm game too. I started working on songs in expert mode so maybe after a little practice I will head up to Oni.

The only thing that's holding me back are games like CoD5, Sonic Unleashed, Naruto TBB, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it ended up being $600 total worth of hardware for the guy who first developed the Bejeweled bot. However...this ended up using a camera to read what was on screen, and that's not needed for this, so I'm sure the actual price for hardware would be much less. I'd have to look into the actual costs, but the only thing I think that would be needed from that setup would be the ability to send signals from a PC->controller->360...and obviously a lot of tuning.

Actually...technically, this setup could work for any rhythm game given a set of variables (modifiers/TV latency/bpm/chart). There's already a Guitar Hero bot out there that I'm sure could be repurposed for this (not that I really advocate it unless you develop it yourself or at least contribute to the project).

• 4 weeks later...

Well ya I mean you still would have to have talent but I'm saying for those annoying missions where there are poison notes or where you aren't supposed to hit a direction or if you have invisible notes, etc.

Basically you would start both at the same time and read off of the computer one which would have ONLY the correct steps and would give you plenty of time to read them. Only an idea, probably wouldn't come true, I would love to but 1. Can't afford to 2. Not tech savy enough 3. I'm not the one who's beating these missions, I would be someone READING these =P

Although I have been practicing a little, got my first FC on Oni and now I just gotta start getting the street challenges.

If you just wanted to create special versions of the stepcharts with the poison arrows and other stuff removed, that could be done with Stepmania. However each chart would have to be manually made and it would be far more tedious and labour-intensive then just playing the quest over and over 'til you get it. Plus there would be the issue of getting it to start at exactly the same time. Just keep at it, you'll get it. I've beaten most of the street challenges, are there any in particular you need help with?

Edit: Also, I think using these charts would hypothetically be okay, but a bot to input the commands for you? Come on. You'd get banned from an MMORPG for using a bot, why should this be any different? They're called "achievements" for a reason. Not that it matters since this bot doesn't/will never exist, but I'm just saying the ethics are a little questionable.

Edited by F Stumbleduck

^ Eh...freaking 'achievements r 4 earning' speech. Not starting anything but just saying I get annoyed from hearing this. Yes, achievements are for earning and they are things that show off accomplishments. People who are completely addicted to collecting like I am try their hardest to get EVERY achievement. I spent hours playing GH3 just to get that 750k achievement. THAT was an achievement. DDR has rediculous ones too like that and I know I can get some of them but some of them take rediculous practice.

Now, I'm not saying it's wrong to use a bot but think about it. Boosters...people who help each other get wins for achievements. What are they truly achieving? Nothing special. They do that just for the sense of completion which is exactly my case. Now like I said, not starting an argument, just showing my side of the idea.

But anyways =P I have maybe ehh 6-7 streets left. I haven't sat down and seriously tried many of them but I know one that I can't seem to get is the one where it's like 'up up down down left right etc' and the notes are invisible and you have to his EVERY note on marvelous. Was there a trick you did? It seems like basic luck to me...

Edit: Crap were you actually adressing me? I didn't know because I read about the charts being ok and I thought that was my idea? Anyways if not oh well still stating my opinion for people overall who hate not earning an achievement without ANY type of extra help.

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this is old, I just joined.

This game become a LOT easier with timing if you spend about $250 on a metal pad, I am reeaaally trash with the ones that are plastic, but with the metal I can do every thing at almost 100% maximum score, I have been playing DDR since I was around 4 though. I'm 16 now, 12 years of experience helps a lot, although there isn't any metal pads for Xbox currently, there are some for the PS2, lol.

To let everyone know, the pad that comes with the game is garbage, you have a better chance of playing the game with your toes+the controler and getting achievements than to get good with that pad.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

as far as the "it'd be quicker to just practice and get good than it would be to cheat the system" that's a no. I've been playing for 5 years pretty consistently, I can AA every thing on extreme minus PSM and PSMO in the arcade, and I still can't do all the challenges. If they would let me choose the speed mods, I could do all of it, but that'd ruin the "challenge" part of challenge. Honestly, the easiest way to do it is to chart it out in stepmania, and try like hell to start them both at the same time. if you get this to work, i'd love to hear about it

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck.

The only real question here is whether or not you can get Universe 3 and a Stepmania chart playing what you want it to to sync up together. Besides shelling out heavy money to get the proper syncing hardware to do something like this, the only other way that I can see this happening is having a buddy with you to stop/start Stepmania and to use manual sync (Two of the keyboard function strokes during gameplay, I forget which two) to sync the song just right.

Even after all of that work, you're still going to see a hell of a lot of loading time. I say screw it. Achievements are great, but I don't try to do the impossible.

• 3 months later...

Hey y'all.

I'm from the UK so don't own this game (as much as I'd like to...), but it's not at all impossible to sync up stepmania to the game. I just finished getting 1000 on DDR Universe 2, and for the final challenge I played I had to get Stepmania playing at the same time as the chart, and it took about 4 attempts. Open the chart you want to play in the stepchart editor, select the bar the challenge starts on, and as soon as the loading screen finishes press P to play the chart from there. After a few tries you'll learn how to get it exactly in sync, which is exactly what I did and it worked wonders :)

WILDFIRE YOU ROCK! You've just inspired me to finish DDR2. I just want to ask you, how hard is it exactly? If you need an idea of my skill level I was able to 1k all of the guitar hero games (minus WT for longevity reasons) and I pick up to them very fast. Are you one of those superhumans that's just amazing or did it just take some practice?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...