PDA

View Full Version : Smaller sigs perhaps?

Dysitis
11-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Why does almost everyone on this site feel the need to put 2-3 large pictures in their signatures? In every topic I read, every individual post takes up at least a half page worth of space on my computer screen and often even takes up the whole page. It can be very annoying to have to do so much scrolling just to read a few posts. Could there perhaps be stricter limits on sigs? For example, maybe only 1 picture max, and have length limits to it(maybe an inch?) Am I the only person bothered by the sigs on this website?

Apple
11-27-2008, 12:48 AM
I believe there is an option to not show sigs, this would definitely clear up a lot of space. ;)

User CP, Edit Options, Thread Display Options, uncheck Show Signatures.

Exane22
11-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Having four ginormus images in your signature is the cool thing to do, havent you heard :rolleyes:

.....oh, and they all must have boarders to ;)

Dysitis
11-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Ah, I wasn't aware of that Apple. Thanks!

Valentin Selezynov
I'm just testing my new signature.

Minty
Why do people never post examples lol. If we see someone with a ridiculous sig, we give them a chance to change it before doing it for them. But hard to look at all 120,000 sigs lol

Dysitis
11-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Ok I just tried disabling sigs but it doesn't really make a difference. The posts still take up just as much space, except where their sig used to be, it's just a huge blank space. Oh, and um, Minty, your sig is a pretty good example. No offense, but it's fucking huge. It's at least 10x as big as your post.

Apple
11-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Oh, and um, Minty, your sig is a pretty good example. No offense, but it's fucking huge. It's at least 10x as big as your post.

Oh shit... :p

My sig is just as big, it just has a quote instead of a pic.

Lebowski
11-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Ok I just tried disabling sigs but it doesn't really make a difference. The posts still take up just as much space, except where their sig used to be, it's just a huge blank space. Oh, and um, Minty, your sig is a pretty good example. No offense, but it's fucking huge. It's at least 10x as big as your post.

Lol out of all the examples you picked Minty's.
lol. The Supreme Overlord of 11,000+ Posts will pwn you. :p

chrisnottm
11-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Mines pretty big but I don't think it's too big...

The only huge one i've seen was a bunch of Halo images, i forget the name.

Minty
11-27-2008, 01:26 AM

And if you look to the left on my profile I have an awards box. And if you look, this goes down below my sig. So even if my sig wasn't there, my post wouldnt shrink at all.

And I dont care anyway lol.

Dysitis
11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Well lets put it this way chris, due to your sig, it is not possible for me to see this post and your post at the same time. I mean that ginormous picture of Tails, is that really necessary?

Edit: Well Minty, on my screen your sig goes down further than your awards. I don't know why it's different on my computer.

Exane22
11-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Its because the amount of text he has plus his sig, he did quote you after all which makes his over all post appear even bigger. Regardless, with the profile picture, a gamertag, and the awards it going to be a little long. Its a real problem when someone has one line of text and then the sig still drops it down hundreds of pixels beyond the award box.

I do think though that there is actually more images to look at then there are text in most peoples post. It all depends on how annoying you personally find it :)

chrisnottm
11-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Why is it such a big deal what people have under their post?
It seems as though you want the forum to have no 'personality'. Just blocks of writing, sure you have to scroll down more when people have sigs, it's hardy going to give you carpel tunnel or arthritis.

You've been told that you can turn them off but you want the page redesigned to make 10 posts visible without scrolling.

Scotian Bred
11-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Now people, things will display differently depending on what forum style you use.

As for the sig sizes there are limits if you see someone with massive sigs then just report them, nuff said, topic locked. (I don't have the power though)

Exane22
11-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Whats wrong with letting people state how they feel, there is really no reason to lock the thread unless it gets out of hand (which is a possiblity).

GUNSLiiNGER
11-27-2008, 02:29 AM
my sig was huge..mod hayden pm'd me to shrink it down...its still kinda big tho lol

Scotian Bred
11-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Whats wrong with letting people state how they feel, there is really no reason to lock the thread unless it gets out of hand (which is a possiblity).

Because of spam, the topic has been answered, no need to keep open a thread that won't go anywhere.

This same topic has been brought up in numerous threads. People don't like to search but they love to spam.

If people have an Idea then PM it to somebody who can do something about it, plus there is a thread about ideas, and this isn't one of em. :p

P.S - put a border on that thing it looks unfinished and slightly fugly. :p

Exane22
11-27-2008, 02:35 AM
So I guess no one is open to other possibilities, maybe someone out there has an idea or can come up with an Idea. But I guess haveing a forum for discussing things isnt for discussing things, my bad. I completely misunderstood the concepts of forums. Mods, please forgive my stupidity and lock this sucker down ;) plzkthxbye

agentplatypus
11-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Mine is pretty big :P

Blackjaw x
11-27-2008, 02:41 AM
It just bothers me when people have one of the following; or even worse, a combo:

-Two images, or sigs. Like with a render, brushing and their name and whatnot. One is enough.

-A quote about something barely funny that few care about, usually it is from an 'authority', a popular person, or their friend, and is just a social thing. Hilarious, but not really.

-Something to do with a forum girl mentioning them... Roxy, Da Cru, etc. are featured in a lot of greasy boys' signatures. Like the quotes, no one cares.

-Stats about their gamerscore, completed games, etc. when gotten out of hand. So many people have it, as if we're going to stop and read/care about them after the first one.

-An image with their gamerscore, gamerpic, etc. in it. There already is one of those on the left, why have another?

-A grammar mistake.

chrisnottm
11-27-2008, 02:49 AM
I just reduced the size of tails lol
I figure the
if you see someone with massive sigs then just report them
Will have already been done to me :p

On topic though, can't the sig have a height limit? like when you put a large image in the forums it automatically gets resized.
I figure that'll solve it.
Restricted to the length of your user bar bit with your avatar. so the more awards you have, the bigger your sig is...
Just a thought :p

Apple
11-27-2008, 02:55 AM
-Something to do with a forum girl mentioning them... Roxy, Da Cru, etc. are featured in a lot of greasy boys' signatures. Like the quotes, no one cares.

Haha, you're just jealous. :p

Minty
11-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Haha, you're just jealous. :p

Isn't it. Why would anyone want a Roxy quote :p

Nightdragon
11-27-2008, 03:35 AM
Isn't it. Why would anyone want a Roxy quote :p

Or a cru one for that matter ;)

Dysitis
11-27-2008, 04:28 AM
Because of spam, the topic has been answered, no need to keep open a thread that won't go anywhere.

This same topic has been brought up in numerous threads. People don't like to search but they love to spam.

If people have an Idea then PM it to somebody who can do something about it, plus there is a thread about ideas, and this isn't one of em. :p

P.S - put a border on that thing it looks unfinished and slightly fugly. :p

FYI I searched "sig" before making this thread and nothing came up. And also, PMing a mod when you have an idea ruins the point of this board. As Exane said, the point is so that people can discuss them.

shadaik
11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
my sig was huge..mod hayden pm'd me to shrink it down...its still kinda big tho lol
I LOL'ed the other day, though, when someone was asking about the sig limit and you said "just keep it reasonable". :p

KRIS DETH
11-27-2008, 02:53 PM
what computer are you using?

i'm on my 14" (screen) macbook and the sigs are fine

and they're definetly ok on my 19" desktop

you might need to change your screen res, that might help the problem

shadaik
11-28-2008, 08:40 AM
I can see them alright (21", 1280xsumthin), I just think a signature should not be larger than the average post it belongs to.
It's all about signal and noise.

Simzo
11-28-2008, 09:58 AM
On topic though, can't the sig have a height limit?

I'm pretty sure there is a 500 pixel height restriction..