PDA

View Full Version : Is a mic absolutely necessary???

Warchild13
12-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Ok, I know this is a pretty stupid question, but I like to play when I get home from work at 2am, and this does not lend itself well to using calling out commands to team mates. Should I forget online if I cannot use the mic?

Is there as much communication playing as infected? To be perfectly honest, I haven't even tried online yet, as I'm bouncing back and forth between this game and WaW. I really kind of like just being a silent support person, and it seems like you can't really do that in this game...guess I'm not really a people person. :(

griphphin
12-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Ok, I know this is a pretty stupid question, but I like to play when I get home from work at 2am, and this does not lend itself well to using calling out commands to team mates. Should I forget online if I cannot use the mic?

Is there as much communication playing as infected? To be perfectly honest, I haven't even tried online yet, as I'm bouncing back and forth between this game and WaW. I really kind of like just being a silent support person, and it seems like you can't really do that in this game...guess I'm not really a people person. :(

its not completely necessary, but it would help a lot. if playing a normal campaign without a mic, you should probably be content with just being a follower, not a leader. I cannot tell you how many times a person without a mic decided to take the lead, and fcuked everyone over cause they wanted to be rambo.

if playing versus, playing without a mic would be alright. a lot of people dont even talk when theyre the infected, they just do what they want to do and respawn and do it again, BUT if you wanted your team to be a well oiled zombie killing machine (i.e. you grab him, you grab him, you grab her, and ill pounce on him), then yeah, a mic would be good.

but, if you dont have a mic, by all means, DO NOT think you should forget about the online portion. Thats what makes this game great, playing with friends, laughing at stupid things, even if they can't hear you.

Edit: no question is a stupid question

Bobo
12-03-2008, 03:17 AM
i've seen a lot of people get kicked from a team for not having a mic

again... this doesn't mean it's necessary... but it sure helps if you want to win... even though we can see a person who is being attacked by a Special... it definitely helps when you hear someone screaming like a bitch in your ear "HELP ME HELP ME I'M PINNED!!! HEEEEEEELP!!!!"

Warchild13
12-03-2008, 03:22 AM
it definitely helps when you hear someone screaming like a bitch in your ear "HELP ME HELP ME I'M PINNED!!! HEEEEEEELP!!!!"

That's funny. Yeah, I was worried about getting kicked for not having a mic. I suppose as long as I'm giving the team support and not doing anything stupid, I could probably earn my place on the team.

I think part of my problem is having played so long as a lone wolf, I don't feel comfortable chatting it up with complete strangers. This is the biggest reason I don't do Co-Op. It's easy to sit back and be part of the crowd in a 12 person deathmatch, but when it's just you and one other person...it can feel awkward...anyway, thanks for the replies.

Bobo
12-03-2008, 03:33 AM
dude, i was a lone wolf gamer for a long time, too... but it gets easy after a while to tell who you may have something in common with and can carry on a conversation with as opposed to the other 80% of a game's community that are usually douche nozzles... i was even lucky enough to have a guy i met in a game come to america with his wife from Derby, England just to hang out with me and my wife for 11 days... sorry sack of shit came all the way to america for the first time to visit 2 potheads in Terre Haute, Indiana... lol... seriously it was one of the coolest moments in my life cuz he didnt tell me he was coming and he just walked into the hotel i work at and i recognized him instantly from photos... all based on an in-game bet he had made a year before where he promised if i beat him he would personally deliver a nice bottle of scotch to my door, which he did

so there is at least one reason to plug in that mic and start trying to meet some cool people... free scotch!

griphphin
12-03-2008, 03:35 AM
he didnt tell me he was coming and he just walked into the hotel i work at and i recognized him instantly from photos... all based on an in-game bet he had made a year before where he promised if i beat him he would personally deliver a nice bottle of scotch to my door, which he did

that is quite possibly the coolest thing i have ever heard of a gamer doing.

Tussell
12-03-2008, 03:56 AM
i've seen a lot of people get kicked from a team for not having a mic
That's what I do! I can't stand when people don't communicate in the game. It's not really that bad, but once the finale comes, it's terrible!

InFaDeLiTy
12-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Dont use XBL if you dont have a mic.
One of byfar the worst things about playing online there isnt an option to search for players with mics only.

But yes its necessary if you want to play on anything harder than easy.

a trillionair
12-03-2008, 05:58 AM
That's funny. Yeah, I was worried about getting kicked for not having a mic. I suppose as long as I'm giving the team support and not doing anything stupid, I could probably earn my place on the team.

I think part of my problem is having played so long as a lone wolf, I don't feel comfortable chatting it up with complete strangers. This is the biggest reason I don't do Co-Op. It's easy to sit back and be part of the crowd in a 12 person deathmatch, but when it's just you and one other person...it can feel awkward...anyway, thanks for the replies.

if people are going for the hard achievements then you need a team with mics and pro or not...the team isnt going to no that and your booted thats how it is in team games so get a mic man or your going to find it hard to get a game with anyone because there are many people like me that boot people without mics and people with guests due to the fact you need to communicate for the more complex achievements(nothing special, untouchable, expert ect) so without communication those can go south very quickly

Bleeding Star
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
tbh Id only play this game with friends, people online are total douches, a mic is not needed, its not hard for someone to see when you need help or reviving or when theres a witch or hunter so I would say its not needed

then again playing the game with random people isnt that great so Id definatly try get a group of friends to play it with

GTukC
12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
It's not essential to have a mic but it damn sure helps hehe. Mind you I only play it with people on my FL tbh.

VA1N
12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Seriously, if you don't have a mic, don't play the game. Don't think about it from your perspective, look at it from everyone else. People need to stay in constant communication about health, status, zombie locations, etc. The mic is necessary. So many people don't use mic's on the PC and it ruins the game, especially if you are playing versus.

Even if you have to whisper or only say 1 or 2 words at a time, use the mic.

griphphin
12-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Seriously, if you don't have a mic, don't play the game.

wtheck? no way man. just cause he can't use the mic, doesn't mean he shouldnt play the game at all. If your mic broke, does that mean you would put the game down forever or play solo the whole time? If he's gonna play on expert then yeah, it would be better to use the mic, but on normal, if he doesnt use the mic, telling him not to play the game is takin it a little too far.

Lucent Beam
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Seriously, if you don't have a mic, don't play the game. Don't think about it from your perspective, look at it from everyone else. People need to stay in constant communication about health, status, zombie locations, etc. The mic is necessary. So many people don't use mic's on the PC and it ruins the game, especially if you are playing versus.

Even if you have to whisper or only say 1 or 2 words at a time, use the mic.

Yeah, exactly. It's frustrating playing co-op like this with people who can't communicate.

I don't kick people without a mic but I do find it irritating if they run ahead and can't tell us what's going on. If you aren't going to have a mic, make sure you are listening to everyone else and just basically being a shadow and by someone all the time so someone can babysit you or you can see what strategies they are using.

griphphin
12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
If you aren't going to have a mic, make sure you are listening to everyone else and just basically being a shadow and by someone all the time so someone can babysit you or you can see what strategies they are using.

yeah, thats what i'm saying. just because they dont have a mic doesnt mean they shouldnt play, they just shouldnt try to lead.

la tigresa xx
12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
The 360 comes with a free mic. No excuse. I don't care about other games, I would rather get kissed by a Boomer then use my mic in Halo 3, even though I stopped playing that bootleg POS, but in this game, it is ENTIRELY focused on teamwork and strategy.

Mic is required, not necessary, required.

bigsal82
12-04-2008, 07:17 PM
wtheck? no way man. just cause he can't use the mic, doesn't mean he shouldnt play the game at all. If your mic broke, does that mean you would put the game down forever or play solo the whole time? If he's gonna play on expert then yeah, it would be better to use the mic, but on normal, if he doesnt use the mic, telling him not to play the game is takin it a little too far.

If your mic breaks buy a new one. This game was designed for players to work together. Without communicating with each other, you can't work together all that well. I will kick anybody out of a L4D room if he/she doesn't have a mic.

Synyst3rG8ts
12-04-2008, 07:42 PM
in my opinion mics are necessary if your playing on expert or the verse mode... on normal its not really needed ... possibly for advanced as well you might need a mic.. but dont let it hold you back from using the awesome online capability of this game my friend .. ill co op with ya send me a request :woop:

Warchild13
12-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Basically, I'm getting the feeling if I'm to play expert, a mic is expected, which is understandable. I don't play expert, just normal, so it's definitely a more relaxed atmosphere. And if in the lobby, my teammates are discussing strategies for getting achievements, I might either leave, or plug my mic in. Other than that though, I play like the one guy above said, I listen to the directions others are giving each other. This is what I've always tried to do anyway.

osea101
12-05-2008, 01:25 AM

I'm afraid required means the same thing as necessary. Hit me up and I'll play some left 4 dead w/ you.

griphphin
12-05-2008, 01:34 AM
I'm afraid required means the same thing as necessary. Hit me up and I'll play some left 4 dead w/ you.

HAH. i was thinking the same thing.

Ortep
12-05-2008, 10:58 AM
The 360 comes with a free mic. No excuse. I don't care about other games, I would rather get kissed by a Boomer then use my mic in Halo 3, even though I stopped playing that bootleg POS, but in this game, it is ENTIRELY focused on teamwork and strategy.

Tell that to my mic that broke.

InFaDeLiTy
12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Tell that to my mic that broke.

Call Microsoft.
Buy new one
Trade it in, buy new one
Resolder it, my uncles currently resoldering mine, rather simple task.

There is no excuse if you can spend $60 on game you can spend $10-20 on a mic.
Its necessary.

Ortep
12-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Call Microsoft.
Buy new one
Trade it in, buy new one
Resolder it, my uncles currently resoldering mine, rather simple task.

There is no excuse if you can spend $60 on game you can spend $10-20 on a mic.
Its necessary.

So i shouldn't play online just after it breaks?

InFaDeLiTy
12-06-2008, 07:52 AM
So i shouldn't play online just after it breaks?

Honestly no.
Its a horrible gaming experience for those of us who have mics in rooms full of micless people.

Ortep
12-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Honestly no.
Its a horrible gaming experience for those of us who have mics in rooms full of micless people.

Well i've played countless games with people who haven't had mics and it hasn't resulted in a horrible gaming experience.

xRogue 5x
12-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Mics should definatly be required for online play. If i'm host and there is not mic you can bet you'll win a free trip back to the main screen.

Unstoppable
12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
You Dont Need one. But i think yuo should get one as it makes the game 10times better when your playing with some mates ;)

TatteredRagDoll
12-06-2008, 02:47 PM
...its not hard for someone to see when you need help or reviving or when theres a witch or hunter so I would say its not needed
Ummmm... yeah it is. Unless you're babysitting the other survivors, or you're in the back, you're not going to notice someone w/out a mic is down as quickly.

jobless sam
12-06-2008, 04:58 PM
mics cost nothing, so theres no reason not to have one + you communicate alot with teamates or i do anyway

InFaDeLiTy
12-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Seems like the vote is
YES GET A MIC

Really is no reason not to have one, at all.

Kernel
12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know why people always say that the mic is required for gaming, most of the time the people that talk in the games pretend to be a pro saying only useless things through all the game.
I never use my mic and I'm really annoyed when the people can't stop talking, c'mon, there's silent people like me who just want to play, not hear the same useless chat from a random gamer.

I remember in other games like GTA IV when the people said "OMG, you need a mic for the multiplayer coop missions, you cannot do it without coordinate! OMG kick the ones without mic!". Bullshit, I completed those coop minigames in GTA without saying a word, and I was really pissed when I was kicked for incredulous people who think that they need to chat like parrots for a good gaming.

If someone who read this also hate to talk while playing, add me as a friend and I'll play L4D with you, so we the silent people and the talkers won't get annoyed one another from playing in the same games.

chanman
12-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I've been kicked out of lobbies cause I didn't have my mic in. I have a mic, but sometimes I feel like playing without chatting.

rockhopper
12-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Me and my friend ask the other 2 people in our lobby every time before we start a campaign on expert if they have a mic. We don't even start it until we know they have a mic. No mic, they get kicked. Easy and normal is perfectly okay without a mic if you just want to stroll through and shoot some zombies up without much worry but it kind of takes away from the whole experience of teamwork and communication with this game.

A mic is required for expert or it is epic fail. It is imperative that you all know what position you're taking and who's going to cover what. One friendly fire by a shotgun and you're either downed or pretty much limping.

Ducino
12-17-2008, 09:14 PM
To be honest i dont like using my mic either. Most of the time time they just make fun of my english when im talking :P. Its ok that they laugh with it because i know my voice sounds funny when i speak english but sometimes they act like : Go learn english and then try again and they kick me out. Thats not fun at all.