PDA

View Full Version : Are the any beginner (and I mean BEGINNER) guides for fighting games?

greenjello
12-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I've never played a fighting game beyond random button mashing. But someone gave me DC vs. MK and now I'm obsessed with unlocking at least one of the achievements. I've searched the internet looking for how-tos, but all I can find are lists of moves.

I have most of the moves down, but I can't get anything else to work. I can't do fatalities or any of the kombo challenges. I've watched the videos on youtube dozens of times. I know about the little flash to do a pro move (I've only been able to pull off Batman's pro move, but I've tried them all). But when I enter the combos, nothing happens. I'm pretty sure it's a timing issue, but I have absolutely no idea how I'm doing it wrong. Am I going too fast, too slow? I've tried everything, and it's very frustrating that I have no results or improvement.

And when it comes to the fights themselves, I'm pretty lost. What's a "breaker" and how do you do it? The AI always seems to be able to block everything and I can't block anything. In arcade mode, after endless continues, I get to Dark Khan. He beats me in 5 seconds or less. I don't even get a shot in.

So are there any guides or sites that address these topics?

Lordvader178
12-04-2008, 01:46 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/mkvsdcu/main.htm

Just to tide you over until i find a better one.

You can do a breaker if you have one of your rage bars filled. Press Back and Block at the same time as an enemy attacks to knock them away. It does no damage though.

I beat Dark Khan, with any character, by spamming X. Usually this is a 3 hit combo, and Khan is too slow to react, and he keeps getting pummeled. I have no lost a fight to him by doing this, and on normal.

Any more questions, feel free to ask :).

greenjello
12-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Thanks, but that's the same stuff I find everywhere. I try the moves, but I can't get the pro moves or combos. Not even against the practice dummies. And I can beat Dark Khan on very easy, but I can't get to him without continuing a million times.

YellowHare
12-04-2008, 04:23 AM
The only advice I can give you is to not worry about guides and to keep playing the game, as it is. The only thing that's messing with you is a lack of experience with fighters, and time and practice are what's going to make you better. As time goes on, you'll easily learn the timing and the shortcuts to being better at fighters. I would suggest you pick a fighter that seems a natural fit to you and stick with them and learn how to get faster and memorize their move-sets, so it becomes second nature. You might even start off on the Easiest difficulty, fight through it with that fighter, then once you beat it, kick it up to the next difficulty, same fighter, etc.

greenjello
12-04-2008, 04:43 AM
I'm actually not that interested in becoming good at these games in general. But I feel like there's a set of assumptions in all the guides I find. For example, they don't tell you exactly when to enter a fatality combo, or how fast to do it. I guess MK fans already know that sort of thing.

And I've been playing this game 2-3 hours a day for 3 weeks. I've gotten almost nowhere. I can do the special moves fairly reliably, but I can't do one Kombo Challenge.

It usually goes like this: I'll get the kick, kick, punch in, but then when I input a special move as part of a combo, nothing happens. I'm sure it's a timing thing, but I've tried all sorts of things and I'm out of ideas.

TheWings977
12-04-2008, 04:54 AM
Well on Very Easy, he shouldn't be able to beat you in 5 seconds, but I would suggest just playing with each character, and see who fits you best, you can still lose but the pplayer you choose may be a good one. I personally hate Scorpion because he reacts slowly, but Scorpioin and Flash is great. You can spam a few moves with Flash if that helps.

Lordvader178
12-06-2008, 02:49 PM
It usually goes like this: I'll get the kick, kick, punch in, but then when I input a special move as part of a combo, nothing happens. I'm sure it's a timing thing, but I've tried all sorts of things and I'm out of ideas.

Read the last paragraph of my first post, it's how you bet him.

Fatalities need to be entered reasonably fast. Like not super human fast, but not slow enough that you finish moving before moving again (example, if its like B,F,F,B, you press back, then press forward, before he steps backward and actually stops. You press it as he takes the step. Then when he steps forward, press again midstep). For fatalities that say U, that mean you jump, and when you lands, you put in the button.

They assume you know what to do because nearly everyone has played a fighting game. You have alot to learn child.

Jedi ObiJoe
12-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Lordvader178 is right. I have been playing MK games for a long time - my brother an I use to go to a local retail store that had an arcade version of MK1 to play it. It takes timing and practice. The MK games in particular have gotten complicated but this one seems to have taken it back a little.

Fatalities have a lot to do with timing AND distance. Some are really easy to pull off if you are the proper distance away. Check the guide listed in this forum - its really helpful.

As far as beating the AI. If it is on very easy you should be able to go through the entire tower by using only the X,X or X,X,X combos. Mix it up a little and keep going after them. It won't help you learn the special moves but it will progress you through the battles.

Timing, distance, and practice. Good luck to you.

greenjello
12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
"Fatalities need to be entered reasonably fast. Like not super human fast, but not slow enough that you finish moving before moving again (example, if its like B,F,F,B, you press back, then press forward, before he steps backward and actually stops. You press it as he takes the step. Then when he steps forward, press again midstep)."

This is the first practical advice I've read. This is the kind of thing I don't know but everyone else does. I didn't know if my guy was actually supposed to move around and jump as I was entering a fatality. And I still can't find any guides that answer these kinds of questions.

Lordvader178
12-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Well if you need help, add me on live. I can do my best to help you remember things and get the basics down.

GT: Vader X360A