PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy?

Gumby™
12-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing this game, mainly because I need a new RPG in my library. I love the concept behind it (the music), and I enjoyed the demo.
Is there any huge hindering flaw or glitch that prevents it from being enjoyable/completable? How long does it take to finish the first play-through?
To those of you who own it, was it worth the purchase?

EOU Findub
12-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Hmmm, well, first off I am going to say I didn't personally like it...but you will find more people that liked ES than disliked it, so I am definitely in the minority.

As far as the glitches or flaws...nah. There really isn't any. It is a SUPER SIMPLE RPG in the way that there really isn't any customizable aspects that blow you away. Your characters look exactly the same throughout the entire game, which I thought was super weak.

It took me a little under 30 hours to finish my first playthrough. Simple as that. The second playthrough actually took a little less time, under 25 hours. I skipped all cutscenes and warped everywhere I could really fast.

If you can find it for $20.00 or less, I would say it is a great pick-up. Took a long time to finally get 1k on this. Just wasn't interested enough in this game to finish it. Wouldn't pay anything over 20 for this...BUT, that is just my opinion. If you love RPGs...you should pick it up.

TatteredRagDoll
12-09-2008, 05:02 AM
If you can find it for $20.00 or less, I would say it is a great pick-up. Took a long time to finally get 1k on this. Just wasn't interested enough in this game to finish it. Wouldn't pay anything over 20 for this...BUT, that is just my opinion. If you love RPGs...you should pick it up.

It is new enough that I seriously doubt you'll find it for $20, unless you look on eBay or something.

I actually got it for free, as I won it off a Facebook application. I actually picked it since I had seen all the positives reviews, and at the time I couldn't find it at my local GameStop. Even if I had not won it, I would have totally paid full price for it.

If you're going for achievements, it will probably take 2-3 play-throughs, if not more.

I personally love this game. Have you tried Eternal Sonata yet? If so, and if you liked it, you will probably enjoy Tales of Vesperia.

EDIT: for some reason I thought I was posting in the Tales of Vesperia forum... that's what I get for opening multiple forums at once.

Xzero
12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
If you like the demo, go for the game. It takes about 20- 25 hours to beat I believe. But you only can get a max of 340 points in that play through so if you want more than that you need two playthroughs.

Oh yeah I won't pay more than $40 for it but if you can find it for $30 that will probably be the best price for it.

gutshotenigma
12-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I Picked this up today on offer with Assassins creed
goth both for 20 pounds.
pretty happy with that :)

SynysterMonkey
12-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Well if you're going for achievements, I would rent it as they are all achieved through the story. If it's for fun, then I would buy it.

MadMartign
12-24-2008, 10:49 PM
i just started playing this... and i gotta say, while it is a fairly simple RPG, the animation and music are awesome, as well as the overall art style. It's a really nice game.

TatteredRagDoll
12-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Well if you're going for achievements, I would rent it as they are all achieved through the story. If it's for fun, then I would buy it.
Which requires you to playthrough twice... so renting may not be the best option for an achievement whore.

bman10030
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I found this on amazon brand new for 10 dollars. Now usually, the cases of games that cheap on there are like slashed and look like a cat got at it, but for whatever reason, it was the most flawless game I'm ever seen in my entire life. I'm almost in shock.

Btw, I'm talking about the case, not the actual game.

The actual game is good. Polka's voice is a little annoying though. So I turned on the Japanese voice.

ParoXyzm
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
I actually got 1000/1000 on this game in 1 week, borrowed it from library and loved the game so i just... maxed it. Lol. Still a great game, switch it to Japanese instead of english, if i didn't rent it i would've bought it. 40 bucks sounds reasonable to me.

As you can see below, my gamer picture is from ES lol x)

Rosalie
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
I bought my xbox 360 just to be able to play the game ;)

Creazil
02-18-2012, 02:45 AM
I played the demo to this, with the fact I've helplessly loved FFXIII-2 and Tales of Vesperia, but I wasn't sure. The battle system is very different and it told no story on the demo. I'm real unsure whether to get this. It looks beautiful, but I really don't know.

Ceris
02-20-2012, 03:44 AM
I played the demo to this, with the fact I've helplessly loved FFXIII-2 and Tales of Vesperia, but I wasn't sure. The battle system is very different and it told no story on the demo. I'm real unsure whether to get this. It looks beautiful, but I really don't know.
I just finished my 1st playthrough of this, and I loved this (along with FFXIII-2 like you said). The battle system gets a bit repetitive, but it really became obvoius when I needed to fight for a few hours going through the optional dungeon. The game actually spreads out the combat relatively far apart with 15-20min cutscenes, so the repetitiveness didn't seem like much of an issue. I loved the story, but then again, I am pleased with pretty much anything with a fantasy based storyline. If you can get this game for $20 or less, it is definitely a good buy for RPG fans.:)

CiaranChan
03-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Oooh, this thread got bumped four years... But considering that it's a common question... :3

As far as I've seen, people either love or hate this game.

In my case, I loved it, but then again I am a huge fan of JRPGs.
If you are going to be buying it for the music though, it's not really worth it. I did a lot of trouble to get this game because besides JRPGs, I'm a big Chopin fan. However besides being able to play a character called Chopin and some music cuts with info about his life (which I personally liked), it's really just another JRPG.

The rather quaint story line really had me going. The game play was fun and the insane amount of playable characters was a nice addition.

the_sconnie
03-03-2012, 02:32 AM
I, too, feel I must post on this old-ass thread come to life!

I bought this game for Christmas for myself and will be starting it this weekend, hence my reason on the forums. I just finished playing Bully... hehe, that game's fun.

Anyway, I bought ES on ebay for less than $20 I think.

I'm a fan of this style of RPG and I also like Chopin's music... here's hoping I like it!

metalsteelix
07-07-2012, 10:10 PM
May i join the party?

If your a rpg lover like I am, definitly buy it. It may have a strange storyline but if you've played all Final Fantasy games it doesn't matter ;D

Like I stated before on another thread somewhere in this forums, they could have done the division better. What is the use in getting Claves at the very end of the game? Which makes it even worse that she's one of the best characters ingame O_o. And the money... I had like 20000 money after the first boss because of photo's. Could have done that better Namco :3

gorene
09-26-2012, 02:22 PM
It's a very fun game and it is a lot different from any other RPG I've ever played. The combat is fun, the story is compelling and it's goal is not the typical "Save the world" shtick you get with most games nowadays.

ChickinOnaChain
09-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Since it was a LONG time ago since the OP made this thread, I wonder if he/she bought the game or not?