PDA

View Full Version : 1000 piece jigsaw methods and times

impatientiain
12-27-2008, 01:09 AM
I started a 1014 piece jigsaw (the two horses one) and it has taken me two hours just to sort out the edges,turn over the pieces and sort out the different colours in to piles, this achievement will take me some time to finish i think.IF you have finished one or are doing one post up your methods or times.:eek:

jerms
12-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm doing the Albion label one. 12 hrs so far, 503 out of 1054 pieces left. My main gripe with the game is that you can't select and move groups of pieces at a time.. sitting there moving a thousand pieces one by one is soooo tedious. If they had that feature I'd probably finish the puzzle in half the time. Sigh...the crazy things I do for an achievement.

Patrik73
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
i did a picture from the sci-fi DLC.

startling stories with the airship on it. 1190 pieces i think
I think I screwed up big time choosing that picture.
well I am done and it took 29 hrs something-
outrageous for 20 point achievement

Motrahtox
12-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Im doing the Colored Pencils right now and I'm 9 hours 15 minutes in with 160 pieces left out of 1014.

Im pretty good at puzzles, but I really wasnt sure how long this might take since I dont usually time myself when putting together puzzles.

xGodDogx
12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
is there a way to save this 1000 peice puzzle as i see some of the other modes you can save but i havent found one for this one.

Motrahtox
12-29-2008, 03:53 AM
From the menu when you choose to exit it gives you many options, one of which is to save and exit.

Just completed Colored Pencils 1014 pieces on expert in 11 hours 35 minutes. I knew right from the beginning all those white pieces were gonna be a challenge.

lansir
12-30-2008, 03:50 PM
hey, does anyone know if u can get the 1000 Achievement if u play co-op?? whether it be on the same system or over XBL

Apple
12-30-2008, 09:15 PM
hey, does anyone know if u can get the 1000 Achievement if u play co-op?? whether it be on the same system or over XBL

I believe none of the other achievements unlock in multiplayer, and I doubt anyone would really want to test it (unless they really were a puzzle fanatic). So I would be safe and do it alone. ;)

Gizmo2k
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
7hrs into it and 464 pieces left. Chose the "Flowers and Bugs" one, figuring it'd be 'easy' to separate all the 9 sections of pictures into piles and then use the black lines to set the full framework. Did the top left, blue bg yellow flower, pretty quickly, but the rest is a ballache. So much pink and blue and greens.

I'll post an update when it's done. I'd done the colored pencils on normal by accident first, that took 9hrs and was much harder than this one.

le b3nz0r
01-02-2009, 11:17 PM
7hrs into it and 464 pieces left. Chose the "Flowers and Bugs" one, figuring it'd be 'easy' to separate all the 9 sections of pictures into piles and then use the black lines to set the full framework. Did the top left, blue bg yellow flower, pretty quickly, but the rest is a ballache. So much pink and blue and greens.

I'll post an update when it's done. I'd done the colored pencils on normal by accident first, that took 9hrs and was much harder than this one.

I also chose the Flowers and Bugs puzzle. I did the same as you and did the outline, then the tic-tac-toe pattern, then I worked the blue tile in the corner, then the bottom left, then the left center, then the top and bottom center, then the far right, then the top right corner, then the center, and finally the bottom right corner. Hope this made sense to anyone. It took me 16 hours. (15 hr 59 min)

xxXI Dave IXxx
01-03-2009, 10:04 AM
is there a way to save this 1000 peice puzzle as i see some of the other modes you can save but i havent found one for this one.

I found the same thing. The only option it gave me was exit and lose all progress on this puzzle? sure you can't just save in certain game modes?

Downloki
01-05-2009, 02:02 AM
you can save your progress on big puzzles, not in challenge mode.

im going with the colored tiles, 1024 something pieces, i had the red car first but that one was too difficult for me, the tiles are going great so far

xxXI Dave IXxx
01-05-2009, 03:47 AM
I found what my problem was. You must put at least two pieces together before you can save. I just tried to get all the border pieces seperated, and then went to save, as that took over an hour alone.

Im doing the colored pencils. Just got the border together, soon will start filing in the middle. Ill post my time when I'm finished.

t4nd4r
01-06-2009, 02:57 AM
I did the sci-fi puzzle.

Took me 21 hours and 4 minutes.

Piculiar
01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I did the sci-fi puzzle.

Took me 21 hours and 4 minutes.

I'm doing that one now, and after 5 hours
the 25% message popped up, so it's on the
damn schedule. :mad:

I've done all of the edges, and I'm focusing on
the text right now, but thinking back, I should have
picked an easier puzzle.

Mathematics
01-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I just finished the colored pencils right now at just over 20 hours.

I thought to myself beforehand that the 10 or so different colors would make it easy, but dear god I didn't think about the glare from the light in the picture. It makes almost half of the pencil almost white and made it a huge pain.

A guess of how it worked was:

hours 1-3: Flipping tiles, and lining up pieces into rows to make sure none were overlapping

hours 3+4: Filling out the border

hours 5-10: Pencil work

hours 10-15: Wooden tips of pencils and relining remaining pieces.

hour 16: I actually fell asleep for about 45 minutes while reorganizing.

hour 17-20+: The whites, dear god, the whites.

So not only was I screwed by the glare, but the wooden tips as well as the insane white middle.

Whomever did this on as well I am sure can feel my pain. But at least its done.

In hindsight, I would think that the tiles would be the easiest one to do it on. I would imagine doing the horse one on 1000 expert would pretty much make any sane person a raving lunatic.

Its over though.....

Piculiar
01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I just finished the colored pencils right now at just over 20 hours.

I thought to myself beforehand that the 10 or so different colors would make it easy, but dear god I didn't think about the glare from the light in the picture. It makes almost half of the pencil almost white and made it a huge pain.

A guess of how it worked was:

hours 1-3: Flipping tiles, and lining up pieces into rows to make sure none were overlapping

hours 3+4: Filling out the border

hours 5-10: Pencil work

hours 10-15: Wooden tips of pencils and relining remaining pieces.

hour 16: I actually fell asleep for about 45 minutes while reorganizing.

hour 17-20+: The whites, dear god, the whites.

So not only was I screwed by the glare, but the wooden tips as well as the insane white middle.

Whomever did this on as well I am sure can feel my pain. But at least its done.

In hindsight, I would think that the tiles would be the easiest one to do it on. I would imagine doing the horse one on 1000 expert would pretty much make any sane person a raving lunatic.

Its over though.....

You mean the one with all the diamond shaped, differently colored tiles?
I might start on that one instead of this stupid "Amazing Stories" bullshit
I'm attempting at the moment, cuz that one just won't work out.
Way too much red, and lets not speak of the big f-in letters.

apsouthern
01-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I also chose the Flowers and Bugs puzzle. I did the same as you and did the outline, then the tic-tac-toe pattern, then I worked the blue tile in the corner, then the bottom left, then the left center, then the top and bottom center, then the far right, then the top right corner, then the center, and finally the bottom right corner. Hope this made sense to anyone. It took me 16 hours. (15 hr 59 min)

I'm also doing the Flowers and Bugs, 4.5 hrs in and "25% completed" just popped up so I'm possibly looking at about 18 hrs...

slim01
01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
im trying the abstarct art piece called "many of them". think it looks ace... looks very tough though. i used to do puzzles as a kid so i rekkon ill blitz through it.

im also going for a high sore on this one, as the image is 2.00x, and the piece shape im using is 1.50x i rekkon ill be near top of leaderboards if there is one for individual score.

what were ur scores guys?

i wanted to do the bug one but i thinkj ive already done that one like 4 times. lol. i need a challenge, i rekkon itll take about 35-40 hours. wish me luck!!

hezeuschrist
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Alright, I think I've for sure found the best method to do this without plowing through 20 hours of puzzling. I can't take credit for this, I can't remember if I read this on this board or somewhere else, but someone had this idea for the final challenge and it works like a freakin charm for a 1000+ piece puzzle.

I used the puzzle with the white/yellow/brown/blue/red tiles. The edges are pretty easy to assemble and that's all that really matters.

There are six different shapes of pieces in the standard puzzle shape. Create a pile for each type of piece, and by pile, I mean line them up so they're perfectly on top of each other piece of the same type. In the end you'll have a big empty board with what looks like only six pieces. Obviously seperate out the edge pieces, you can combine them while you're stacking all the inner pieces for a bit of a break from the monotony... because it takes forever. It took me nearly 4 hours to get every piece lined up and stacked.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make your six piles in the CENTER OF THE TABLE. I screwed up and put them to the upper left corner (which was where i just started flipping pieces) and some of the edge pieces I have are TOO BIG to move all the way up to the corner to go for connections on the piles.

Next, you can either create the entire border or just start with a corner that has some number of pieces on both ends. The important thing is that you've got a corner to work with.

You'll now know what kind of piece needs to fit in that corner. There's at max I think 7 different piece orientations you can try for any type of corner, so since you have all the pieces stacked on top of each other for each type, it'll snap to the right piece when you find the right orientation.

Do this over and over and you'll fly through the center 900 or so pieces. It took me I think 3hrs and 40min to get all the pieces stacked and build out some of the edges, and I'm down to having 600 pieces left to place at around 5 hours. At worst (if I had placed the pieces in the center of the table) I'll be done by 8 hours.

I've just realized that this is pretty difficult to explain. I'll make a video of it when I get home later today, if necessary.

apsouthern
01-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm also doing the Flowers and Bugs, 4.5 hrs in and "25% completed" just popped up so I'm possibly looking at about 18 hrs...

Finished last night in 14hrs 35mins, can't say I'm sorry that it's over...

hezeuschrist
01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Just to update to my method above, it took me just under 7 hours to complete the entire 1014 piece tiles puzzle. Definitely the easiest and fastest way to do it.

TwistedFate
01-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Just to update to my method above, it took me just under 7 hours to complete the entire 1014 piece tiles puzzle. Definitely the easiest and fastest way to do it.

Maybe I can suggest something to try that might make it easier. I stumbled across something similar in the checkerboard challenge, only took 27 minutes with 18 minutes of that sorting pieces and assembling the edge, and 2 minutes running to the bathroom.

I took the complete border and tried dropping it on my pile of center pieces a couple of times trying to get random pieces to stick to it. That didn't work, but when I went back to trying to fit the inside pieces, they were all in the exact order I needed. As I worked left to right, top to bottom through the middle, every piece I picked up was the one I needed for the next spot. They had to be rotated, but they fit.

This is the order I was working:
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - etc...

May work on the 1000 piece puzzle too.

Lee Snowflake
01-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I took me 19 hours to do the Coloured Pencils one. First i turned over all the pieces, then i just started making the pencils. When i had them made, i put them together as best i could. Then i had to try each white piece in each postion. I was using the square shaped pieces so that was a real killer. Any white pieces that didn't fit where put to one side. When i got down to about 60 pieces left, they started going in really easily. But it's done now, so :woop:OH YEAH, IT'S MY BIRTHDAY, GET MY GROOVE ON.:woop:

CharleyTony
01-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I chose "Flowers and Bugs" to do this.
It took me 17 hours and 40 minutes but I think I might have dozed off 1 hour or 2 !

Method: did the outline, then the "black grid" inside, then chose one or two squares that had similar colors and tried to match pieces on the seperate board you can use when you press "Y". I first did the upper left one then lower left and so on...

The ones I kept for the last stretch were the middle, the lower right and upper right ones. They all had strong pinks and bright yellows, I had a hard time with em, still glad I kept them for the end since you hve a lot fewer pieces to chose from ...

xxXI Dave IXxx
01-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Ok, finally finished this up. I did the colored pencils, took 17 hours. The white in the middle was just a real pain. All I can say is I'm glad to be done with this one!

blackjw23
02-08-2009, 05:51 AM
I did the 1014 colored pencils one, but didn't realize that doing it on turbo was not normal until i finished and no achievement so definitely do the puzzle on classic. I like the suggestion above with the 6 piles. There is always a quicker way.

alex4283
02-08-2009, 09:06 AM
15 hours 8 mins to do a 1014 piece colored pencil puzzle.

NorthernLass
02-08-2009, 01:00 PM

I completed this one too and used the same approach with the straight pieces then the black lines and then focused on on section at a time.

ONEROSSY
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I'd love if that PINK FLOYD poster that "apple" has was in the game, i love floyd n av that poster hanging over may fireplace!! lol

TwistedFate
02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Flower & Bugs
1044 pieces
4 hours, 28 minutes, 20 seconds

NoodleII
02-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I decided to do the Albion Oranges puzzle as both the expert 1000+ piece achievement (1024 pcs) as well as my first puzzle achievement (figured that would make sure I stuck with it to completion).

As I flipped all of the pieces over, I arranged all of the edge pieces I found into the workspace (Y button).

After I assembled the frame, I then picked out certain areas of the puzzle to complete one at a time (again, keeping everything in the workspace area and leaving the bulk of the pieces on the main table). I started with the big orange, then moved to the grass with words, then did the red and pink flowers, then did the other words in the sky, then the yellow flower and stems, and then finally they sky. As I did each of these groups, i would scan the main table for pieces that looked related and dropped them in the workspace. Once I finished scanning I moved to the workspace and arranged all of the pieces I found near where the item was withing the border frame and then started to work on it. The only real issue I ran into was that as I dropped pieces into the workspace, it placed them in the same loaction there as they were on the main table. so, when I went to assemble them I initially had pieces everywhere in the workspace. Kind of annoying until I got them grouped together, but then assembling went pretty quickly. Did this one in about 14.5 hours - checked the leaderboard afterwards and was in top 100 so I felt like it was a good process overall.

TwistedFate
02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Here is the method I used.

Close the Puzzle Preview window (Hit X until it goes away completely) You won't need to actually see the puzzle for this.

Create 3 piles. Corners, Edges and Middles. Make sure you rotate them at least once so they aren't at slightly off angles. Don't just drop the pieces in a random pile, stack them as neatly as you can on top of each other. It will take a little longer, but you will more than make up for that in a little bit. Also make sure you are near the middle of the screen with your piles so you have some room for the next steps.

Rotate the edges so that all of them have the edge facing the same place. Doesn't matter which direction, you just need them all facing the same way.

When you are done with your piles, grab a corner and set it down on the edge pile. The proper piece will snap onto it. Pick up the new piece and do it again, repeating and adding the other corners until you have the entire border built.

Now zoom all the way out. Then take your completed border and drop it on the inside pieces. Since you are zoomed all the way out the "hot zone" for autosnapping the pieces in is increased so you may pick up more than one piece at a time. (I got up to 7 pieces at at time) Go all around the border adding pieces by picking up and dropping the border on the pile. Once you have gone all the way around, rotate the border and repeat the process. Keep rotating the border every so often and you will have it done in no time.

It took me about 4 hours to sort the pieces and about 30 minutes to actually assemble the puzzle this way.

mr_FOS NL
03-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Did "Lines and Shapes", 1014 pieces, on classic mode, expert, for the achievement. 21 hours and 49 minutes for 20G *sight*.
First I took all the edge pieces over to the other table and connected them. Then back to "table 1" and sorted the different colors. Next, made the puzzle 1 color at the time. Hell of a job though.
Thank god I did not have problems with the saving this time. Earlier I lost the level 3 fractal save at around 60% completion after 5 hours.........gay.

IGC ELIMINATER17
03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Can someone please help me with this method that TwistedFate described, im confused. Do u have to make different piles for each particular shap or can u just stack EVERY single middle piece on top of one another any way u want, i just want to finish this puzzle or can someone just make a short video on it so i know exactly what to do. I would really appreciate it

TwistedFate
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Can someone please help me with this method that TwistedFate described, im confused. Do u have to make different piles for each particular shap or can u just stack EVERY single middle piece on top of one another any way u want, i just want to finish this puzzle or can someone just make a short video on it so i know exactly what to do. I would really appreciate it

Every single middle piece in the same pile. You must rotate each piece at least once before you stack it on the pile so that they snap to a neat 90 degree angle or it won't work, and you must stack them as neatly on top of each other as you can. The neater your pile the faster the puzzle will go together.

lucas1987
04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
3 hours 39 minutes. DONE!!!!!!

method: I believe it was the 2nd puzzle. (one with robot and lots of text) I did the squares as the piece shape too. I stacked every single piece in the middle of the board on top of each other. I kept one piece out that was part of text towards the bottom and i just kept picking up the puzzle and placing it back down. once i tried every possibility, i spun the puzzle around and tried every piece on that side. Just keep rotating and placing it back down.

It took me over 2 hours to place all pieces in the middle, and another hour plus to finish the puzzle

WillR87
04-18-2009, 12:25 AM
i wanna know if 2 ppl can do this together

deaks
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
twisted fate is correct. it is BY FAR the easiest to create one single pile using SQUARE pieces in the MIDDLE of the board then snap on to it over and over and over and over and over and over... x1000. It seems tedious, but i've been working on my pile for about 30 minutes and it's becoming clear that it will go together very fast compared to me having to actually FIND the piece that fits into a certain spot.

not related to this thread, but this method would be AWESOME for the checkerboard puzzle (challenge puzzle #20) it would take 30 min tops.

SonneMori
06-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Finally! took me 15 - 16 hours ... i did the "coloured pencils" puzzle ... it wasn that difficult to complete the colours but this damn white and brown puzzle fragments were horrible ... well at least it was a bit relaxed ^^ and moreover im happy that im done with that damn achievement now ... :woop:

mmartynn
08-01-2009, 03:52 PM
im doing the owl puzzle
im 5 hours in, ive flipped all the pieces over, built his claws, his eyes and nose. ive pilled up his chest and im pilling all the edge pieces together. ugg, this is gunna take some time :(

lijnloos
02-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh my, I'm thankfull I looked here before I'm gonna do this achievement... I'll try the stacking method, not sure which puzzle, but it doesn't really matter I guess, using this methode. I'll be giving it a try tonight!

The-tonemeister
03-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Yup, got mine done last night. Took well under 4 hours in total.

I took the Flowers & Bugs puzzle, but it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

I took nearly 3 hours sorting the pieces into edges, middles & corners & creating the 3 stacks as Twistedfate described.
Then about 45 minutes to pick, move & rotate to build up the puzzle.

Big big thanks to Twistedfate for the guide, easily saved me 15 hours plus on this one.

Trigger Inside

Marketman316
10-12-2011, 06:15 AM
3 hours 48 mins-the stamps one, but it doesnt matter really nearest one to 1000 pieces. The method of placing all the pieces on top of each other worked perfectly.

I remember trying to do it properly on the crayons one and that took 3 hours to turn them all over and just do the edges so deffo the above method is faster. Just the online chievos left now if anyone can help :-)

hoferchr
02-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Just completed "Flowers and Bugs" (Classic, Expert) with 1,044 pieces. Time: 17 hours, 49 minutes, 25 seconds.