PDA

View Full Version : "The Game" pop-up advert

eviltb
12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi, this may just be me, but that new advert for The Game is REALLY annoying. As in everytime I pass my mouse over it, it takes over the middle of the screen! Its like the rollover option is on any part of the banner, rather than where it says "rollover". Can the rollover be tweaked, or is it set from the advertiser? Like I said, I could just be being a Moaning Minney, but it really wants me to pop a cap!

Love and hugs!

Lebowski
12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Getting on my nerves too.
F**k The Game.
I want to discuss Games, not THE Game.

:)

PhoenixRising17
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I got one in my hotmail mailbox :( Its really annoying because you cant do anything and it comes back. Dont got it on this website gladly. And THE game sucks indeed

love and hugs back

Slow2die
12-30-2008, 06:49 PM
I just lost the game.

Haha, sorry had to.

If you don't get it, google it I guess.

Oh, and yeh, I posted about this in offtopic. One is on the main site page too. I think webb is trying to earn more of an income from the site through advertisements.

eviltb
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I think webb is trying to earn more of an income from the site through advertisements.

Yea thought that would be it.....How much does he want to get rid of it???

Slow2die
12-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Yea thought that would be it.....How much does he want to get rid of it???

A forum like this...

1,767,756 alexa rank..

Hmm.. around 300-400UV a day probably.. 5-10 clicks.. It looks like a CPM advert too, so around $0.10 cpm..

Around $100 a month could be generated from the advert... so you decide a buyout :P

she haunts me
12-30-2008, 07:56 PM
What is this "Game" advert/ad you speak of? I've never seen it on this site. Or any other site. Get Adblock. You'll never see it again.

Webb
12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Oi, don't blame me :p

It's the ad network that runs the ads and they should all be user initiated ... i.e. roll over/click over. So that means that you're doing the initiating :p

@ shehauntsme - It seems to be a UK ad, so you won't see it.

Oh and slow2die, lol, I don't know where you got the stats from, but they're a little behind the times (rank wise I mean) :p

I see it but I've not had any problems with it today and I've been all round the site :eek:

Slow2die
12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
So, for the people who can't see it, here are some screenshots >_>

http://i39.tinypic.com/2wgvqlf.png

http://i41.tinypic.com/8x8lxy.png

EDIT: haha Webb, "Dont Blame Me... Blame Alexa". Thats where I got the stats from :P I must admit I expected them to be a little higher, my blog is at 300k, and that gets 100UV a day.

Whats your PageRank as well, Prchecker didnt show one. And I know this forum has atleast 2-3.

Webb
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
EDIT: haha Webb, "Dont Blame Me... Blame Alexa". Thats where I got the stats from :P I must admit I expected them to be a little higher, my blog is at 300k, and that gets 100UV a day.

Whats your PageRank as well, Prchecker didnt show one. And I know this forum has atleast 2-3.

You're probably using the wrong URL, cause I just checked Alexa and it's a wee bit different to that :p

Slow2die
12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeh, I used x360a.org instead of the full xbox360achievements.org domain. My bad :P

6000 Alexa rank is a bit better I suppose.. gawd.. :P

Simzo
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
The Game is a legend, don't diss ;)

But yeah fair enough, the pop-up advert is annoying.

Webb
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I've asked them to change it to a click out rather than a roll over but chances are no-one will be in the office till at least the 2nd, maybe even the 5th. All we can do is wait :eek:

eviltb
12-30-2008, 09:57 PM
thanx for giving it attention webb :) im not actualy clicking it though, its just evry little brush with the cursor sets it off! Its even doing it on my cell!

Webb
12-30-2008, 10:12 PM
No probs.

It appears to be a rollover initiated ad thats why it's more sensitive. There are two types you see; roll over and click out, where the former just takes the pointer to touch it to set it off, the latter takes a click to open the extended dialogue.

I'm actually surprised that anyone even contemplates using rollover ads anymore because they are proved to have an adverse effect on their products rather than a beneficial one. Just shows how much the people that create the ads know about the people they are trying to sell to.

Slow2die
12-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Tell me about it. Countless times on my blog did I have comments, emails and complaints about my advertisements being annoying. I was even giving out popups to people when I didnt even select the option when signing up for the advertising company, and the worst thing is, when I left the company(Clicksor, the barstards), they continued displaying the pop-up and pop-under adverts, and a large % of them were adult advertisements as well which was extra annoying. Anyways after some hard coding,I finally removed them. I'm very surprised they even allowed malicious code to be entered by the site itself, thats terrible and I complained, but got nowhere.

Anyways, I'll shush now, as Im drifting more and more offtopic. Look forward to seeing the advert change soon. Atleast you'll earn a bit from it. :)

EDIT: The advert has now been replaced with a Curry's advert. This is not a rollover advert, and any effects will only take place when the advert is clicked.
Thanks for making the change, it is much nicer not scrolling over it endlessley and accidentaly clicking it with popups and all sorts. :P

Selections
01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
A forum like this...

1,767,756 alexa rank..

Hmm.. around 300-400UV a day probably.. 5-10 clicks.. It looks like a CPM advert too, so around $0.10 cpm..

Around $100 a month could be generated from the advert... so you decide a buyout :P

Heh, i remember a post in off-topic about a month ago:

http://www.websiteoutlook.com/www.xbox360achievements.org

Daily Pageview : 192509
Daily Ads Revenue : $579.26

So Mr.Webb. Want to show us a pic of that Porsche? :p

Slow2die
01-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Those outlook sites are crap. It can't determine how many people are clicking ads on average etc, and therefore can't give an estimate on revenue being earned, as the most will come from clicks, rather than impressions (pageviews).

Webb
01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Those outlook sites are crap. It can't determine how many people are clicking ads on average etc, and therefore can't give an estimate on revenue being earned, as the most will come from clicks, rather than impressions (pageviews).

Well ... kinda :p

Just don't listen to those sites, they speculate and sometimes, wait, most the time, do it badly.

NTA RazmaGT
01-02-2009, 03:10 AM
The T-Mobile advert gets on my man-boobs.