PDA

View Full Version : PM idea.

Falcongale
12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
For now, make PMs available to people who have over 500 posts. It's obvious people like that who have been on the site long enough to be trusted to use their PMs. I'm just saying this because a lot of us feel like we've lost an arm or a leg over this, totally disconnected and the visitor box isnt the same.

vBulletin will let you set a minimum postcount to send PMs so set it to something like 250 or 500, a number you deem that someone has been around long enough to be trusted. Phishing accounts will never get to 500 posts...

Anyway, that is my idea, thank you for listening :)

Slow2die
12-31-2008, 11:19 AM
There are some accounts which have already been phished with over 500 posts I believe, which can be used by the phishers to send a large amount of PMs to people.

Its only a very small number though, depends how many PMs they would get out.

Deadly Moves
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a good idea falcon..

Ive not really been on over the last few days and only found out last night that we cant PM at the moment :(

What was the reason for stopping the PM system?

Hayden
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Post count has nothing to do with how long people have been around, it took me a year to get my 1000 posts some people do it in a month (spamers).

The reason people are phising is because some stupid people use the same password for the site as they do for xbox live, the phishers are trying to steal live accounts.

We are doing something with the pm's at the moment and when they are ready they will be back.

Slow2die
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
What was the reason for stopping the PM system?

As said in this topic: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114983

To stop more and more people falling for the phishing scam, we've temporarily disabled private messages. Hopefully you can understand with this preventative measure, but we'd rather not have this bored individual have any more fun with people's account info.

In the meantime, please communicate all other actions here unless already stated.

Thanks and we hope everyone understands our reaction to this situation.

Eternal
12-31-2008, 11:38 AM
There was a phisher trying to get our account passwords.

Yes that would be a nice idea. Maybe even for 1000+ people :p

Slow2die
12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Post count has nothing to do with how long people have been around, it took me a year to get my 1000 posts some people do it in a month (spamers).

The reason people are phising is because some stupid people use the same password for the site as they do for xbox live, the phishers are trying to steal live accounts.

We are doing something with the pm's at the moment and when they are ready they will be back.

I understand what your saying, but a phisher will not work hard to gain post count. It is not in their nature, as they are banned quickly and will lose a months worth of pointless posting as there only intention was to spam pm's etc.

A phisher will sign up and work on gaining over peoples accounts to save time, and make it easier for them. So in a way post count does have something to do with how this situation could be resolved, but as you rightly said, cannot be used to calculate how long someone has been around.

Minty
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Or make PMs only available to subscribers :p

Hayden
12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Or make PMs only available to subscribers :p

Even better, just staff :p

Falcongale
12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Some of us can't subscribe and that would be a shitty tactic to gain subscriptions based on the sole fact that PMs are one of the necessities of a forum board.

1000 posts maybe? Anyone with 1000 posts isn't thick enough to get phished... I hope.
Also, Hayden I understand what you mean... I took my time and I've just hit 1,000 :p

PhoenixRising17
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Even better, just staff :p

Even better, just girls. Were no phishers :p. But it's a little sucky to send PM to people and dont get any responses haha. I guess we need to wait

Minty
12-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Even better, just girls. Were no phishers :p.

You kidding?!

The girls on this site are more trouble than the guys lol

Slow2die
12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Even better, just girls. Were no phishers :p. But it's a little sucky to send PM to people and dont get any responses haha. I guess we need to wait

Pfft. Look at you pretending your all popular with your PMs :p

Falcongale
12-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm just saying it would be nice to have the commodity back for members who have a decent amount of posts. I have to say there is no way someone with 500 posts++ that can be fooled by the scam.

PhoenixRising17
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Pfft. Look at you pretending your all popular with your PMs :p

You ever had a full PM box? I did :p nenenenene. But just wait guys. PM will come back and take control of our lives again ;)

cobratodd
12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
yummy girls i like to eat them lol

thats a good idea tho

[M]ike
12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
yummy girls i like to eat them lol

thats a good idea tho
What ... the .. hell? o.o

But yeah, in my opinion, anybody stupid enough to be phished deserves to be. So just enable PM's and then we can laugh at those that do get phished.

Blake
12-31-2008, 01:11 PM

I'v been here for a year is well not even thousand yet lol :D.

Very good idea though it will help with hackers who sign up and send stupid messages instantly.......

Falcongale
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I'v been here for a year is well not even thousand yet lol :D.

Very good idea though it will help with hackers who sign up and send stupid messages instantly.......

You'll get it eventually.

So - can we get this implemented? We want to get back to PMing :)

Shelton
12-31-2008, 09:06 PM
I've been a member here for almost 2 years and only have a little over 100 posts... I think if x360a were to implement a system it'd have to be a time based one.

People who do not post religiously, should not be punished for it.

I contribute to the site when I can.

If they were to change this I believe it'd make the site less accessible and therefore less appealing.

People should be more weary about where they input their login information. Thats the real problem.

Jaystar
12-31-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm just saying it would be nice to have the commodity back for members who have a decent amount of posts. I have to say there is no way someone with 500 posts++ that can be fooled by the scam. Unless you're those annoying twats Jaystar or PunksNotDead... grrr.

I've just Reported that Post inside the Complaints Board. Just because I have a lot of free time on my hands doesn't give you the right to call me.

Keano
12-31-2008, 10:46 PM
I've just Reported that Post inside the Complaints Board. Just because I have a lot of free time on my hands doesn't give you the right to call me.

I'm pretty sure that was a joke but if not then yea it was out of line.

Xterm1n8or
12-31-2008, 11:15 PM
I think people who have been here for over 2 years and 4 months and have 1400 posts or more should be able to use their PM. Oh look at that, I am fortunate. :p

Seriously though, nobody should be able to use PM until the situation is fully resolved.

Webb
12-31-2008, 11:22 PM
We're not going to put post limits or limit them to a certain group on the PMs. We have a solution ... a simple one, and it should be rocking and rolling after the New Year :)

Happy New Year btw folks :D

Var 18
01-01-2009, 12:49 AM
I agree with Web. And just to convince you more, I have like 110 posts or something, yet I have over 90 PMs. I constantly use the system in order to not spam, or if I need to directly talk to someone.

What would I do with this jerk guy? Banned. It is obviously a rare occasion, so I don't believe safe actions really need to be taken. If this was a more constant problem, further PM system changes to make it safer would need to happen. However, this is a one time deal I believe.

Just wondering- Why are people still getting messages if this guy is banned? Can't you IP ban him?

Webb
01-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Just wondering- Why are people still getting messages if this guy is banned? Can't you IP ban him?

There is the odd occassion where that isn't a viable solution depending on what actions the user takes when posting/setting up the account, etc.

Tried and failed, but we don't give up that easily :p

Jaystar
01-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I agree with Web. And just to convince you more, I have like 110 posts or something, yet I have over 90 PMs. I constantly use the system in order to not spam, or if I need to directly talk to someone.

What would I do with this jerk guy? Banned. It is obviously a rare occasion, so I don't believe safe actions really need to be taken. If this was a more constant problem, further PM system changes to make it safer would need to happen. However, this is a one time deal I believe.

From what I understand there was more than one mate.

Var 18
01-01-2009, 12:59 AM
O, what I heard was that it was this one guy. But if it is more than one, I can understand necessary actions need to be taken. Sorry about my falsely informed post >.<

Webb
01-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Actually, there was only one, but a few people entered account info and so they had control over more accounts ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, it's all bye the bye now. Solution in the new year :)

XZYOE
01-01-2009, 04:06 AM

There's always Proxies.

But I think it's a terrible idea. Why should the people who don't post as much be treated differently than who don't, because we have nothing to say. The people who go into Cheating treads and say "Cheating is for noobs" in every game forum.

But the Webb said it should be fixed in the near future, so we should be good in few days. Use MSN or something.

Evil Demon55
01-01-2009, 11:17 AM
People could have been phished and had over 500 posts and the phisher than uses that account aswell and there it goes again... I do like the idea though. Maybe PM should become available after a small test that an administrator can give you to see if you could fall for the phisher.

Selections
01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I've been a member here for almost 2 years and only have a little over 100 posts... I think if x360a were to implement a system it'd have to be a time based one.

People who do not post religiously, should not be punished for it.

Agreed. Previous experience with troubles like this has taught me that time-based systems are much more likable than "get x posts". Anyone can rack up 500 posts in a month if they spammed everywhere. Going by time would count as a reward for staying with a site for so long. Like a "Thank you".