PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: New way to sort achievements

dakisbac
01-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Currently, when I go to a game's achievement list or achievement guide, the achievements are sorted:

1) Known Achievements (meaning not secret)
2) Secret Achievements

Personally, I don't care if an achievement is secret or not, I'm striving to get all of them regardless. I'm not going to CTRL+F down to secret achievements so I can tackle them next.

I don't think it's very useful either. While I like to know what the "secret" achievements are, having them under their own heading is unnecessary and useless otherwise.

My proposed method of sorting:

1) Single Player achievements
2) Multiplayer achievements (includes local and XBL)
3) Mixed achievements (achievements that can be unlocked in single and/or multiplayer)

while still indicating which achievements are secret, by putting them at the bottom of their respective lists and putting (secret) in the title.

This is not only what my personal preference would be, but, I believe, more practical for everyone. I said that I'm not going to CTRL+F down to the secret achievements, but I sure will CTRL+F down to multiplayer achievements- as I'm sure many others will too.

An example of what the changes would look like:

Before: http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff285/x0dAk0k/saintsoldsort.png

After: http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff285/x0dAk0k/saintsnewsort.jpg

I chose Saints Row because it has a mixture of muliplayer and single player achievements- both secret and known.

Anyways, as we can see, I illustrated which achievements are secret with a red S (I got lazy) and put them underneath the known achievements like I said.

With my idea, I'd still like to see use of the sorting of achievements alphabetically or by gamerscore as well as the buttons to show/hide secret/completed achievements.

I can only see one slight problem right now- it's that when the achievement lists are first posted, the secret achievements aren't known to be single or multiplayer. However, I think until they are confirmed, they could still be (appropriately) placed under the Mixed column- which would eliminate that problem

So, guys, what do you think? Would the lists be more useful (to you) if the achievements were split into single and multiplayer?

Feedback much appreciated since I did spend a while thinking on it and photoshopping that one list.

Sorry about the long post.

EDIT: I looked at the Previously Suggested Ideas sticky again after I made the topic. I missed this idea initially because it was listed as an idea under the My Achievements feature, and I'm not talking about My Achievements specifically, so I kinda skimmed over it.

The main problem Pants brought up is that there's no way to identify which are which- in that case I'll volunteer myself for the job. But first, let's see who would prefer them to be sorted this way.

Crimson Ridley
01-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I like this idea, IIRC they did that over on a360p (The less said about about that site, the better though). Really helped me to see how many Multiplayer Achievements there were in the game I was looking at.

Lordvader178
01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
I think they should make them in the rough order it is best to get them. Often i find myself thinking "What the hell, i have no idea what i should go for next". By sorting them in an order from easiest to hardest, it will give me knowledge of what to do.

Selections
01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I like this idea. More sorted categories would make things a lot easier.

I think they should make them in the rough order it is best to get them. Often i find myself thinking "What the hell, i have no idea what i should go for next". By sorting them in an order from easiest to hardest, it will give me knowledge of what to do.

This would require people voting, or similar, for each achievement. It would take some time before its perfected. But in the end its a great idea.
I just feel that it could either take too much time, or it gets abused.

Nightdragon
01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Currently, achievements are ordered in the way that they are ordered on xbox.com once the achievement list goes gold. I.e. all the tiles are up at tiles.xbox.com.

We do encourage our guide writers to lay out their forum guides in better ways, such as organising into categories, but everything on the main site is presented in the same order as the achievement list on xbox.com

dakisbac
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Although I would prefer my heading method, I'd still be happy with

some sort of mark beside the achievement or in the title line that identifies the type of achievement it is (online, offline, mixed)

Anything that makes looking for single/multi player specific achievements easier to find- since it's not an option at all currently.

I also support the idea for DLC indicators, so say we use the tags, example

S- Single player
M- Multi player
X- Mixed
D- DLC

So a DLC single player achievement would be DS

Lordvader178
01-03-2009, 04:00 AM
This would require people voting, or similar, for each achievement. It would take some time before its perfected. But in the end its a great idea.
I just feel that it could either take too much time, or it gets abused.

Yer i know it would require effort, but isn't that was this site is about? Making things easier and putting more effort in to help members a bit more on the site? I would be up to sort the achievement guides, easily. It wouldn't really require people voting, the person who is writing the guide usually has 800+ points in the game, and they can just go off that oppinion. For an example, in L4D, not one person has got Untouchables as the first achievement, so it could be at the bottom. The achievements the person doesn't have can go to the bottom. It will be hard yes, but it will be worth it in the end.

The Pants Party
01-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Search the feedback forum for the term "tagging."

This has been in the works for a while now.

Selections
01-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Yer i know it would require effort, but isn't that was this site is about? Making things easier and putting more effort in to help members a bit more on the site? I would be up to sort the achievement guides, easily. It wouldn't really require people voting, the person who is writing the guide usually has 800+ points in the game, and they can just go off that oppinion. For an example, in L4D, not one person has got Untouchables as the first achievement, so it could be at the bottom. The achievements the person doesn't have can go to the bottom. It will be hard yes, but it will be worth it in the end.

Thats a really good point.
However, your skill may be completely different to mine. What you would post up as an easy achievement might take a bit of time for others.
Especially in games where theres been more than one series in the title. Newcomers to a series will be completely new to it, against a person who wrote the guide who may be very familiar with the game.

Evil Demon55
01-05-2009, 03:38 AM
I like secret, but lately some threads just show all achievements as one set of achievements and they do not lable any as secret and it ruins the story for me... I rather that be fixed before this were to happen.

But if they were to do all this, I would like 2 sections of known and 2 sections of secret. Maybe like this:

SP-
MP-

SP Secret-
MP Secret-

I would actually like that much better.