PDA

View Full Version : Prima Guide

SengIV
01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
So I was in Walmart today searching guides and saw an achievement guide. Well it had over 50 games in it so I bought it. I was looking at the Bully, Madden, and Iron Man guide.

The Bully one sounded familiar. So did the Iron Man one. Because I co-authored both of these. And then the Madden one. I was using it the other day and noticed the 'for begginers' thing. It sounded just like the guide on here.

So I checked the credits and saw that it was in association with this website.

So this is the feedback forum right? Here is my feeback, that is plain awesome.

Seeing my writing in a published book is awesome. And now 77 other people can see their own hard work in stores for people to look at and buy.

Great job guys which ever one went along with this idea. It was plain genius to go through with it.

EDIT: Here is my thread from July about this idea (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81660). Looks like Prima got us sponsored since that was the whole problem with the idea, money. Again great job. Saves me from having my laptop steadily next to me.

EDIT 2: It is word for word our guides. I checked the Iron Man, Madden, and Bully guides. The Iron Man guide mentions getting help in the forums.

EDIT 3:

Complete Game List:

2006 Fifa World Cup
Alone in the Dark
Amped 3
Arkadian Warriors
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bomberman Live
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Bully (Yay!!!)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Castle Crashers
Clive Barker's Jericho
Cloning Clyde
Crackdown
CSI (Full Walkthrough Guide)
Dead Space
DiRT
Enchanted Arms
Eragon
Eternal Sonata
Fable 2
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Feeding Frenzy 2
FIFA 09
FIFA Street 3
Fight Night Round 3
Forza 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Galaga
GRID
Halo 3 (1250)
Hitman: Blood Money (Complete Silent Assassian Walktroughs)
Iron Man (Yay!!!)
Jumper
Just Cause
Kung Fu Panda
LEGO Indiana Jones
Lost
Madden 06
Madden 09
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mass Effect
NBA 2K6
NBA LIVE 06
NBA Street Homecourt
NHL 07
NHL 09
NHL 2K6
Open Season
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Prey
PGR 4
Pure
Shrek 3
Silent Hill Homecoming
Smackdown 08
SoulCalibur Arcade
Surfs Up
Tales of Vesperia
The Bourne Conspiracy
The Club
The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Tiger Woods 09
Timeshift
TMNT
Too Human
Undertow
Uno
Wall-E
Worms
X-Men

jorGe62990
01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
That's really sweet. Congrats to x360a!

narcolepticshee
01-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Nice one if Prima asked for permission

Sucks if they didn't (I'm presuming they didn't otherwise it would have been a news story on here..... right?) X360A should demand royalties!

Peace

MajinFro
01-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I would like to know if x360a asked permissions from the authors of the guides.

Apple
01-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Nice one if Prima asked for permission

Sucks if they didn't (I'm presuming they didn't otherwise it would have been a news story on here..... right?) X360A should demand royalties!

Peace

What I'm wondering is why x360a didn't announce it yet, because they do know.
I would like to know if x360a asked permissions from the authors of the guides.

Yeah what's up with this, the authors should demand royalties! :o

drno
01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I find that a little hard to believe but possible.

Is it this one?
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Xbox360-Achievement-Guide/Prima-Games/e/9780761561583

Either way, just straight copying internet info to a book seems awful scandalous unless it were published by the same site.

Achievements guides for the same game always end up similar but having a book would eliminate YouTube videos and links to other URLs and the like. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible though.

SengIV
01-06-2009, 12:49 AM
I find that a little hard to believe but possible.

Is it this one?
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Xbox360-Achievement-Guide/Prima-Games/e/9780761561583

Either way, just straight copying internet info to a book seems awful scandalous unless it were published by the same site.

Achievements guides for the same game always end up similar but having a book would eliminate YouTube videos and links to other URLs and the like. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible though.

Yes that is it. It also states that it is joint partnership with x360a

And no they didnt ask permission from the authors. But who gives a flip? Im published! Woot!

EDIT: Word for word our guides. In the Iron Man guide it even mentions checking the forum for more help.

Apple
01-06-2009, 12:55 AM
And no they didnt ask permission from the authors. But who gives a flip? Im published!

You want to know who gives a flip, the same people who think that it's not okay for other sites to put our guides on their sites.

Maybe the rules change when money is involved, I don't know. =/

Birky
01-06-2009, 12:59 AM
You want to know who gives a flip, the same people who think that it's not okay for other sites to put our guides on their sites.

I might be mistaken but, I am pretty sure when you write a guide and give permission for it to be published on the site you are basically handing the rights to it over to the owners of the site.

SengIV
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM

Achieve360 stole my Bully guide and the guy credited himself. At least Prima credited this website.

MajinFro
01-06-2009, 01:04 AM
It is still shady as fuck. Because guess what? Prima now owns those achievement guides. Those authors now can't take their achievement guides and sell them if they chose too. Prima pays their guide writers quite a bit of money and those authors didn't get jack but now x360a is profiting off work that was offered to members of the site for free. Any interest I might have had for submitting content to x360a is no longer there. If I was any of those guide writers I would be pissed as hell.

Blackjaw x
01-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Is the Vegas 2 or Turning Point guide(s) in there? ;)

SengIV
01-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Is the Vegas 2 or Turning Point guide(s) in there? ;)

No Turning Point not sure about Vegas right now.

RoutineX
01-06-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm on my mobile now and have a flaky connection, so I'll try to keep it short until i get back home.

Just to clear out some blunt accuations that has been given without knowing any facts. Prima does _not_ own any of the content in the book. They were given a permission to publish the guides in _only_ that book.

And second. I'm not sure where you get that "Prima pays their guide writers quite a bit of money", but that is most certainly not the case. The primary objective for the book was to give more PR to the site and the ones writing the guides, and I would have thought that was the idea when initially writing a guide; to get your name published. 100% of the revenue from the book goes straight into a new feature on the site that will be published later this month or the beginning of the next.

Blackjaw x
01-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Is RoutineX anyone else's favourite staff member by far?

RoutineX
01-06-2009, 02:10 AM
There. Had to drive home to make another post.

It wasn't my intention to sound like an ass in the previous post, but when I saw some of the things that was far from the truth I felt I had to say something quickly before one feather grew into 10 chickens, a dog, three cows, and maybe... just maybe, a couple of goats.

@Blackjaw x
If my sarcasm detector isn't very out of tune, I'd have to say thanks :P

Blackjaw x
01-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Nah, it's quite harmonious. Like everything else about you. *Bats eyelashes*

The Pants Party
01-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Is RoutineX anyone else's favourite staff member by far?

*raises hand*

Fro, I'm not sure why you're getting all bent out of shape, but like RX explained, the book was made by Prima on our behalf with direct input from our staff and all the profit made by x360a goes back into x360a. Prima has no rights to those guides, the writers and x360a still own them.

SengIV
01-06-2009, 02:40 AM
Just wanted to say thanks again.

As a writer of multiple short stories, I have always wanted to see something I did in a store.

Now, with the help of this website, I can actually view some of my work in a book.

So thank you. This has actually inspired me to complete my short stories and try harder.

This website is one of the best. It is not only good for achievements, but also good for a community.

Peace.

Filter x360a
01-06-2009, 03:06 AM
100% of the revenue from the book goes straight into a new feature on the site that will be published later this month or the beginning of the next.

That's awsome! Looking forward to seeing what the new feature added will be.

Once again, congrats to all the contributers and to the site itself. Looking forward to getting the book!

FX.

AOS Puck
01-06-2009, 05:02 AM
Now that everything is squared away, any chance of a list of the guides in the book? I hate having to go in the other room to take a look at a guide and if there are enough guides I need in the book, it would warrant a purchase.

SynysterMonkey
01-06-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm on my mobile now and have a flaky connection, so I'll try to keep it short until i get back home.

Just to clear out some blunt accuations that has been given without knowing any facts. Prima does _not_ own any of the content in the book. They were given a permission to publish the guides in _only_ that book.

And second. I'm not sure where you get that "Prima pays their guide writers quite a bit of money", but that is most certainly not the case. The primary objective for the book was to give more PR to the site and the ones writing the guides, and I would have thought that was the idea when initially writing a guide; to get your name published. 100% of the revenue from the book goes straight into a new feature on the site that will be published later this month or the beginning of the next.

Well, thanks for clearing everything up.

jackanape
01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
How interesting. If anyone could tell me what was in that book it would be hella cool - doubt my guides made it but you never know.

Some scumbag on a different forum (360 HQ) stole my CSI guide and took total credit for it, he even kept in all of my phrases like 'job's a goodun'. Like someone in Australia (where he was from) would ever utter that phrase. Bastard.

SengIV
01-06-2009, 12:20 PM
When I get home I will post a complete list of the guides.

The cSI guide is in there.

Webb
01-06-2009, 12:35 PM
We were also planning on announcing it officially (we still will :p) but I was waiting for my shipment of guides to turn up so we could run a competition as well ;)

jackanape
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
When I get home I will post a complete list of the guides.

The cSI guide is in there.

WOO HOO! It's like I'm totally famous - unless they have used the short 'complete each case' guide and not my step by step one.

I suggest that all contributors to the book get a free copy............;)

Webb
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
WOO HOO! It's like I'm totally famous - unless they have used the short 'complete each case' guide and not my step by step one.

I suggest that all contributors to the book get a free copy............;)

You do realise your reviews reach a much bigger audience right? :p

I'd love to give all contributers a free copy ... BUT, we're only getting a limited copy to give away :Angel

jackanape
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
You do realise your reviews reach a much bigger audience right? :p

I'd love to give all contributers a free copy ... BUT, we're only getting a limited copy to give away :Angel

Ha ha ha, every little helps. Soon I'll have the world under my sway - or cursing my butchery of the English language at the very least.

It's all good in the hood though.

chrisnottm
01-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Guys that's awesome news.
Congrats to all of the new published writers :p

JC
01-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Thats awesome!

They should sell them in the UK as well, what guides were in the book?

InkedUp
01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Congratulations to all of the writers, good work. This is really cool for this site

Bishop24
01-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I doubt any of my guides are in there since I mainly only write guides for sport games but anyway congratulations to everybody who has a guide in the book.

Hopefully they don't stop making them and more books will keep coming in the future.

SengIV
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Complete Game List:

2006 Fifa World Cup
Alone in the Dark
Amped 3
Arkadian Warriors
Army of Two
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Bomberman Live
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Bully (Yay!!!)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Castle Crashers
Clive Barker's Jericho
Cloning Clyde
Crackdown
CSI (Full Walkthrough Guide)
Dead Space
DiRT
Enchanted Arms
Eragon
Eternal Sonata
Fable 2
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Feeding Frenzy 2
FIFA 09
FIFA Street 3
Fight Night Round 3
Forza 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Galaga
GRID
Halo 3 (1250)
Hitman: Blood Money (Complete Silent Assassian Walktroughs)
Iron Man (Yay!!!)
Jumper
Just Cause
Kung Fu Panda
LEGO Indiana Jones
Lost
Madden 06
Madden 09
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mass Effect
NBA 2K6
NBA LIVE 06
NBA Street Homecourt
NHL 07
NHL 09
NHL 2K6
Open Season
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Prey
PGR 4
Pure
Shrek 3
Silent Hill Homecoming
Smackdown 08
SoulCalibur Arcade
Surfs Up
Tales of Vesperia
The Bourne Conspiracy
The Club
The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Tiger Woods 09
Timeshift
TMNT
Too Human
Undertow
Uno
Wall-E
Worms
X-Men

Wow...long list.

Bishop24
01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Didnt you write the Madden 09 guide? Its in there.

No I did not write that guide. I've written a good bit of guides but Madden 09 is not one of them.

EDIT: I'm kind of shocked none of my guides are in there but oh well. Maybe some of them will be put in the next one.

[M]ike
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
That's awesome, bit of inspiration to get people writing guides too. I've only done one myself and that was for an XBLA title, A Kingdom for Keflings, and that was killed by tonnes of other idiots posting practically the same guide editing an odd word.

AOS Puck
01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice list, looks like I'll be picking up one of these are there are quite a few games in there I plan on playing.

Hayden
01-06-2009, 09:06 PM
No I did not write that guide. I've written a good bit of guides but Madden 09 is not one of them.

EDIT: I'm kind of shocked none of my guides are in there but oh well. Maybe some of them will be put in the next one.

I think most of your guides are fairly new Bishop, we decided on the list of games to go in the guide a few months ago and at the time a few of guides where not complete.

If we do another guide maybe you will see a few of yours in there ;)

The Pants Party
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
ike;1479402']That's awesome, bit of inspiration to get people writing guides too. I've only done one myself and that was for an XBLA title, A Kingdom for Keflings, and that was killed by tonnes of other idiots posting practically the same guide editing an odd word.

Yours ended up going on the main site, which is what we used for the book. So if they ever wanted a sequel and asked for that game, yours would be the one we'd go with.

Looks like I have about 8 guides, plus a few I have collectible guides written for. :D

o Hill o
01-06-2009, 10:57 PM
So this book is just comprised of guides from x360a?

JC
01-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Complete Game List:

Feeding Frenzy 2

Wow...long list.

Yes! My guide is in there! :eek: :D

Do we get a free copy? ;)

J.Waddo
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Complete Game List:

FIFA 09

Holy shit so is mine! I'm an author! Wooo!

Gimme a copy or I may sue:p Jk

Genesis x360a
01-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Sweet, Nice1 x360a - Do you no if these will be coming over to the UK as i wouldnt mind getting my hands on 1 for when i havent got my laptop.

The Pants Party
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
So this book is just comprised of guides from x360a?

Correct.

And sorry but we can't be giving free books to everyone who was included.. unless you win the upcoming contest. :p