PDA

View Full Version : PM limit- suggestion

Var 18
01-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Well, this is almost a half problem and half solution thread.

I, for one, really like using the PM feature of this site. It lets me easily communicate with other people in a private fashion. However, after the "phisher" incident, there has been a limitation of how many PMs you can sent a day; 5 I believe. Sometimes I try to send more than 5 PMs a day, but it doesn't allow me, due to the limit.

Some could argue or say that you should merely use a different form of communication, such as MSN, to talk to your friends. My response is that some people might not have these accounts, and if you encourage people to talk over MSN/ email, etc., that would nullify any use of the current PM system.

My solution isn't as definite as the problem, so I will just say a few ideas:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Pm limit is based on # of posts.

2. Pm limit is based on a new possible "ranking system.

3. Pm system is always 5, but can be increased be having to do a "special login" feature (requires a password) to activate a higher limit (based on posts/ ranking if implemented). This would stop phishers from being able to take someone else's account which has more posts/ is ranked higher to be able to send more PM's.

4. Display a new "reputation system" similar to Microsoft's Xbox live one. This will deem whether certain people are credible or not. Microsoft's system has obviously failed, but there will be something different with this new system.

Basically, there will be a new "special rank" in between regular members and moderators. It will be called "trusted members", or something like that. They, and mods, super mods, and admins, will be the only ones able to submit feedback. This way, if you have low feedback, you won't be trusted as much- so therefore phishers wouldn't be trusted as much. This way, regular non-trusted accounts will not be able to submit feedback that could be not deserved. And trusted members and above won't submit feedback to people who don't deserve it.

This system could be used for many more things other than to solve the PM problem, so it could be also a good addition to the forums ;)

Oh, and if you want it to be a "subscriber perk" you can do that. But I advise against it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this new idea(s), if passed, will affect the whole community, be sure to suggest your ideas and I'll be sure to add them to my post.

Method
01-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Based on this thread here:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116042

It looks as though the PM limit is just in place until a better system is put in place. I guess patience is the key here.

Var 18
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
yes, I saw that thread. However, Webb says:
We're working through a few solutions. When we have a concrete solution set in place, we'll let you know ;)

I am setting up a thread to suggest some solutions. And just re-stating the problem.

Method
01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Believe me, I'm not knocking you for suggesting solutions, I was just saying that I don't think the PM quota is permanent. I think your suggestions are actually solid. I'm just curious what a mod/admin has to say or what they have come up with in their own little think tank.

Var 18
01-07-2009, 11:05 PM
:) sorry if I responded a little too defensively, I didn't mean to.

Yea, PM quota is most likely not solid, just thinking of new ideas to help the admin's think tank.

Aside from what I am originally suggesting, I'm also trying to compile other's ideas. Some suggested ideas in the FAQ thread.. which really doesn't help.

anyway, thanks for the compliment :)

Lucent Beam
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
4. Disply a new "reputation system" similar to microsoft's Xbox live one. This will deem whether certain people are credible or not. Microsoft's system has obviously failed, but since this is a great online community, perhaps this newly implemented system will work out.

Every forum I've ever seen with reputation systems have completely inaccurate and abused systems. Unless it is a buying and selling reputation where actual money is involved before someone rates someone else, I wouldn't trust a rep system in a forum.

Var 18
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Every forum I've ever seen with reputation systems have completely inaccurate and abused systems. Unless it is a buying and selling reputation where actual money is involved before someone rates someone else, I wouldn't trust a rep system in a forum.

Possibly reputation can only be given out by mods-admins?
I would hope they won't be able to be bribed.

EDIT: read your post wrong- I though you said people would pay other people money for giving them rep. Disregard my sentence including bribes.

Rep only given out by mods and admins seems solid. Though there arn't that many, amybe there should be a class in between admins and members- Trusted members?

AOS Puck
01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Staff already hand out Rep, it is called "Infractions". ;)