PDA

View Full Version : Biography of x360a

Vyper666
01-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Ever since being a member of the site I've always wondered about the history of this sit i.e Whose brainchild it was, who started it up etc. or a biography which ever you like to call it. I think it's a pretty sweet idea and would be a very interesting read.

Just my opinion.

Keano
01-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds pretty good but I'm not sure if there would be enough to write. After all the site was set-up only about 3 years ago.

Vyper666
01-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Sounds pretty good but I'm not sure if there would be enough to write. After all the site was set-up only about 3 years ago.
Yeah I suppose so but for what history the site has now can be written down. And every year or so it could be edited

drno
01-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Groux was the original founder of xbox360achievements.com. For the most part the site ran well until Groux had stopped visiting the site and many members questioned if Groux was even still alive. Since he was the only admin the site was pretty much at a standstill.

Well after a couple of months or so Routine (who if I remember correctly was a mod at the .com) decided to move the community somewhere and started the .org version of xbox360achievements which eventually grew into this. He chose g4m3r7ag as his first mod and then a few prominent members as mods later on (Minty, DaWebbMeister, and Tron come to mind.)

After a while Groux found out about the .org after he was finished being dead. Routine was willing to make him an admin as well but Groux wanted to be the #1, not co-#1. So he threw a hissy fit and ended up getting nothing. His lawsuit against x360a.org for stealing his intellectual propety is still pending.

Well x360a went on as normal and eventually it was found out that g4m3r7ag was a gamesaver and had to be given the boot. Other mods came and went, a few left due to personal and others left due to moral objections to the site (L3gion and Flea come to mind.)

That's really about it. Now you know the basic origins of x360a.

Oh yeah, Groux tried to sell xbox360achievements.com (the domain name) and got a few bids for it. (http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/645/whatxv4.png)

Go there today and you'll find that the buyer totally got their moneys worth and definitly payed $75,000 for the site. There was no falsifying bids there.

Vyper666
01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Groux was the original founder of xbox360achievements.com. For the most part the site ran well until Groux had stopped visiting the site and many members questioned if Groux was even still alive. Since he was the only admin the site was pretty much at a standstill.

Well after a couple of months or so Routine (who if I remember correctly was a mod at the .com) decided to move the community somewhere and started the .org version of xbox360achievements which eventually grew into this. He chose g4m3r7ag as his first mod and then a few prominent members as mods later on (Minty, DaWebbMeister, and Tron come to mind.)

After a while Groux found out about the .org after he was finished being dead. Routine was willing to make him an admin as well but Groux wanted to be the #1, not co-#1. So he threw a hissy fit and ended up getting nothing. His lawsuit against x360a.org for stealing his intellectual propety is still pending.

Well x360a went on as normal and eventually it was found out that g4m3r7ag was a gamesaver and had to be given the boot. Other mods came and went, a few left due to personal and others left due to moral objections to the site (L3gion and Flea come to mind.)

That's really about it. Now you know the basic origins of x360a.

Oh yeah, Groux tried to sell xbox360achievements.com (the domain name) and got a few bids for it. (http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/645/whatxv4.png)

Go there today and you'll find that the buyer totally got their moneys worth and definitly payed $75,000 for the site. There was no falsifying bids there.
Well that was very enlightening.

J.Waddo
01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Seconded ^^^
What actually happened to Groux when he was dead?

Minty
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Nobody knows, nobody cares, and let's not give him anymore airtime. He went his way, we went ours, and we all know who made the better call.

Vyper666
01-10-2009, 08:04 PM
So would that make Routine the owner of this site ?

Pheonix_Assassin
01-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I only joined in Jan 08 so this is my 1 year ANNIVERSERY lol longest realtionship ever and it ent gonna end but nope it would be ace if we wrote a thread based on this site

Hayden
01-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I only joined in Jan 08 so this is my 1 year ANNIVERSERY lol longest realtionship ever and it ent gonna end but nope it would be ace if we wrote a thread based on this site

We could ask Marx0r to write it, he knows every in and out of the site since it started.

Andrew x360a
01-10-2009, 10:47 PM
We could ask Marx0r to write it, he knows every in and out of the site since it started.

I second that. I've read through all the old archived threads that have a lot of the arguments and so forth from the origin of the site. Things like how the site came to their stance on gamesavers and so forth, but I'd love a coherent, continuous history. Depending on how it was set up, you could include things like who won various gamerscore leagues, new features that were added, and the like. I'd read that.

JC
01-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Great idea, surely Minty or Webb should write it as they were some of the first mods and therefore some of the oldest members...the old guard. :p

Wehttam
01-11-2009, 01:14 AM
I would like to know if the admins such as minty, webb and routine do this as their main job and take a salary/wage or if they have other careers/jobs?

Minty
01-11-2009, 02:00 AM
I would like to know if the admins such as minty, webb and routine do this as their main job and take a salary/wage or if they have other careers/jobs?

None of us take money from the site, we do it as a passion. Any money the site makes goes directly back into the site.

I have a 'proper' job, while Rx and Webb are finished/finishing university and working on the site.

DiamondD
01-11-2009, 02:10 AM

I don't know if this is a personal question or not relating to the site, but when you mention moral objections to the site, do you mean they were actually against what xbox360achievements was doing? (you know, helping others with achievements)

Vyper666
01-11-2009, 02:13 AM
I don't know if this is a personal question or not relating to the site, but when you mention moral objections to the site, do you mean they were actually against what xbox360achievements was doing? (you know, helping others with achievements)
Well if they were a part of x360a long enough to become mod's I think they would have some idea of what the website was about :p That was a very silly question

Keano
01-11-2009, 02:16 AM

If that was the case then they would never have been mod's of the site in the first place.

EDIT* Beaten to it. Although my post was 3 minutes later I was looking at other things while in the reply section.

Squirrel257
01-11-2009, 02:23 AM
I'd be really interested in reading a history of the site. I read the thread made about the site's stance on 'Gamesavers' (aka Vermin), and It was an extremly entertaining read. I'd like to read something about the FULL history of the site.

DiamondD
01-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Well if they were a part of x360a long enough to become mod's I think they would have some idea of what the website was about :p That was a very silly question.

Yes, that's what's actually confusing me. If that wasn't the case, what could he possibly mean by moral objections to the site?

Im a Manatee
01-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Ill give a little info on why some of the veterans and mods left in 2007 sometime. There was a lot of bullshitting going on, as well as a questionable promotion and the alleged theft of ideas. A certain member suggested something pretty major, their thread got closed, then that feature was added and they were not a part of it. Member WTF's, member is banned, others see some funky stuff is going on, it comes to the surface that the mods at one point said some bad things about some vets, a lot of prominent members leave.

Also, the Gun Glitch was pretty influential.

josh0444
01-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Seconded ^^^
What actually happened to Groux when he was dead?

yes what did...

JaCKsWaS7eDL1Fe
01-15-2009, 02:45 AM
whats the gun glitch?

Im a Manatee
01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
whats the gun glitch?

In Gun, it let the player skip to any level in the game, including the last 30 seconds, and easily complete the game 4 times since the difficulties did not stack. It was HUGE! Glitches before this had not been influential enough to let someone earn hundreds of points on a whim. No account trading, no gamesaving, just standing between two rocks and pressing a bunch of buttons.

The debate was this: would glitches in the game that could be replicated to earn hundreds of points be kosher? By this time gamesavers had been rooted out. Many members weighed in, many argued, and it went on for days. Eventually, everyone was pissed at everyone and several notable members all but abandoned x360a. For some, it was the beginning of the end.

Webb
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Some people just don't like it when their ideas are rejected. There is a thing called ego and sometimes when it gets involved, it gets messy, so when the men in suits (we actually wore suits that day) laid down the law, they thought they had some divine right to stamp their feet to get their own way.

Basically, it was all handbags at dawn and was much ado about nothing. Since then we've tripled in size, both in terms of quality of members and staff and in numbers. So it's all moot really and was the end of the beginning ;)

Since then we're moved from amateur to the role of professionals ... and we've not even started yet :D

impmeister
01-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Wow im intrigued just from reading this thread lol. Definitely a good idea if someone had the time to do it.

Im a Manatee
01-18-2009, 01:22 AM
I think people were stamping their feet because they suggested features, got turned down, features were added.

That, and a cheater in the GSL is now staff. That was around the same time.

Marx0r
01-18-2009, 01:45 AM
That, and a cheater in the GSL is now staff. That was around the same time.

Its Orange Baby isn't staff.

Webb
01-18-2009, 01:50 AM
I think people were stamping their feet because they suggested features, got turned down, features were added.

That's it though ... you don't go in to someone else's house and stamp your feet and demand things. It's rude if you ask me.

We add what we think will benefit the site and what we think is a viable feature. We ask for suggestions, and that's what they are treated as. Some make it, some don't ... no need to throw a paddy if they don't make it.

Lordvader178
01-18-2009, 01:52 AM
That's it though ... you don't go in to someone else's house and stamp your feet and demand things. It's rude if you ask me.

We add what we think will benefit the site and what we think is a viable feature. We ask for suggestions, and that's what they are treated as. Some make it, some don't ... no need to throw a paddy if they don't make it.

I think what he means is, someone suggested a feature, then they got turned down, then the feature they suggested was added without any credit to them. At least, thats what im thinking when i read that.

Deathblow23
01-18-2009, 02:07 AM
This is one of the most interesting threads that I have ever read on this site,...EVER!!! I have been a member for just over a year, but I was a lurker reading lots of info for quite a while before I became an official member. This is a fantastic idea. I also like that names are being named, and credit is being given,...as well as blame...because many of us got here later and we weren't witnesses to the site's early days.

Bottom line...keep it going! I'm such a nerd for this type of thing...I would read copy and pasted emails from bickering staff if you wanted to post that too! C'mon x360a...give us the unadulterated...every gory detail...backstory!:p

Var 18
01-18-2009, 02:14 AM
^ I agree, an official one would be very nice.

Webb
01-18-2009, 02:59 AM
I think what he means is, someone suggested a feature, then they got turned down, then the feature they suggested was added without any credit to them. At least, thats what im thinking when i read that.

But if you been round here long enough, you'd know that wasn't the case :D Take the checklists ... Tarekegypt I do believe suggested those and everyone recognises that. Same with Method and the road maps. That was an example, both old and new ;)

And although suggesting is one thing, actually creating it is another, and RX deserves all the praise for that :Angel

antnie
01-18-2009, 03:12 AM
I have been a member for over a year and this is the best thread that I have ever read. x360a seriously needs to make a biography.

agentplatypus
01-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Best thread ever. Keep it going! :D

Other mods came and went, a few left due to personal and others left due to moral objections to the site (L3gion and Flea come to mind.)

What do you mean by "moral objections"?

Wehttam
01-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow the gun glitch debate sounds awesome, i would just like to know if any current members of the site used it and are still here?

Vyper666
01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Wow, I go away for a few days and find out this thread has turned into a disgussion... Oh well.. So is there any chance of my idea happening at all? Or will we only have this thread?

Minty
01-18-2009, 02:45 PM
If you are that intersted in it, why don't you look through the forums....most of it can be found in there.

Vyper666
01-18-2009, 02:55 PM
If you are that intersted in it, why don't you look through the forums....most of it can be found in there.
That is an alternative for me :p.. But last week I spent about2 or 3 hours looking through a thread and related case where it was either you or Webb who was "calling" out a guy to admit he was a Gamesaver... Very amusing thread t'was indeed.

The Pants Party
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Ill give a little info on why some of the veterans and mods left in 2007 sometime. There was a lot of bullshitting going on, as well as a questionable promotion and the alleged theft of ideas. A certain member suggested something pretty major, their thread got closed, then that feature was added and they were not a part of it. Member WTF's, member is banned, others see some funky stuff is going on, it comes to the surface that the mods at one point said some bad things about some vets, a lot of prominent members leave.

Also, the Gun Glitch was pretty influential.

The amount of incorrect information here is astounding.

But, considering you were one of the people who "left" during that whole situation, I don't find it surprising that your argument paints them as the victims. I also don't find it surprising that you came back... as has pretty much everyone else, Legion included.

antnie
01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Pants is right about some people coming back, flea also came back because he sent me a couple of messages about a year ago.

Im a Manatee
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
The amount of incorrect information here is astounding.

But, considering you were one of the people who "left" during that whole situation, I don't find it surprising that your argument paints them as the victims. I also don't find it surprising that you came back... as has pretty much everyone else, Legion included.

Were you a mod at the time? I posted what was visible to the members, in the threads started by them. If i'm missing vital information, i'd love to hear it as I don't want to continue using this site with the wrong attitude towards something. What i'm trying to put out there is this site was not as jolly as it was. Despite if my information is wrong I never stopped lurking game forums.

Perhaps its not misinformation butting putting a spin on it. Of course it's not wholly appropriate to add someone to a function just because they suggested something similar first, but at the time a few others took their side.

Come to think of it, I can't remember what exactly drove people away for those months.

I think i found the one. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35367&highlight=glitch

The Pants Party
01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
I was a mod at the time, yes. I really don't want to get into an argument about why they left and who was right, mostly because they'll feel the need to come in here (after all this time) and continue the fight. We don't need that and we don't need to drag old dirt like that back up.

Fact is, they made their choices and everyone can see how that worked out on both ends.

Im a Manatee
01-18-2009, 08:58 PM
I was a mod at the time, yes. I really don't want to get into an argument about why they left and who was right, mostly because they'll feel the need to come in here (after all this time) and continue the fight. We don't need that and we don't need to drag old dirt like that back up.

Fact is, they made their choices and everyone can see how that worked out on both ends.

And thats what I wanted. I wrote that as if it was a chapter. Have I conveyed those events in a manner that a newer user could read that, as a part of a collection, and know what happened?

If I sounded sarcastic, I apologize. I legitimately want to know what I was wrong about. No arguement, no rebuttle, just another side.

madcap1
01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
My opinion if it matters;) I'm all for finding out about the history of things on how they have evolved into what they are today, but it just seems to me that this has just turned out to a "he said, they said" debate. This is a great site and a great community and we should just all move forward and make our own history and not worry about the past, obviously there are some people that have bad feeling's about this site and in my opinion should not be bought out into the open like this because it does nothing to improve this site in anyway and that's the thing we should all be concerned about is how can we make this a even better community and site then it already is. Like I said this is just my opinion and i'm not trying to offend or upset anyone with this post, if I did then i'm sorry that was not my intent.

The Pants Party
01-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Well there's a history of where we started and how we got here, and then there's a history of all the things that have happened to see members/staff come and go... drno laid out the history of how we got here and Manatee tried to get into all the drama crap. In my opinion, like madcap hinted at, that stuff doesn't matter (and I won't be discussing it). We are where we are now ultimately because of our members, past or present, and the ones here now continue to drive us.

TONY PWN
01-22-2009, 12:35 AM
A lot can happen in 3 years it seems lolz

the_b1ues
01-22-2009, 01:04 AM
That was quite and interesting read one of the best ive read on this site in a long time.

Almighty Tubsta
01-23-2009, 12:48 AM
Shame people cant get along, for 'The unifying theory of GAMERSCORE!'

Still, i've always found the community to be helpful so i'm grateful to members past and present.