PDA

View Full Version : X360A Game of the Day

Skillet
01-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Or maybe Achievement Days... or something like that. Either way, I have an idea that I think could benefit a lot of people around the site. This is basically a proposition for the mods and Admins. I'd like to know from the members if they'd even pay attention or not.

There seem to be tons of games (especially older ones) with achievement trading threads that are full of people all asking to trade achievements. Problem is, unless it's a game that's been out for less than three months (or extremely popular)... the "trades" go unanswered.

Anyway... on to the point. If you've checked your Xbox 360 dashboard anytime in the last... two years... you've probably noticed advertisements for different community events. Like say, "Play Gears of War 2 with the Gamerchix on Thursday!" or things of that nature. The Events, if you will.

Sounds like a solution to the previously mentioned problem to me.

I propose using a small section of the Home page to display a notice of sorts. Something that lets the community know that if they have a certain game that they want to boost in... or maybe just play, other members have the same idea.

As an example... I'll use Perfect Dark Zero. Anybody who's played it knows that the achievements can take a REALLY long time. And since other games have come out recently that everybody plays... the people who would like to play matches of Perfect Dark for the points are left sitting by themselves playing against bots. Crappy bots.

So... why not use the space on the home page that is normally used for the few-and-far-between BIG contests, and post something like this on a daily or maybe weekly basis. I even made a quick mock up of what it could look like:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/Skillet98/gameofthedaycopy.png

The above image lets you know that if anybody wants to boost in Perfect Dark Zero... there are people there. All they have to do is jump into a quick match. Rather than waiting in a pre-game lobby for 45 minutes for 1 or 2 people to join a game.

Of course, this doesn't have to be just for old games. Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 4. It's all fair game.

Besides the issue that Webb threw at me saying there needs to be a dedicated staff member to make sure the game is changed when it's supposed to be... I can think of no faults in this. People earn achievements, the community is drawn closer together, and X360A has another feature that pretty much everybody else doesn't have. Everybody's happy.

Thoughts?

narcolepticshee
01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a great, well thought out and proposed suggestion to me.

I don't think that someone changing an image each week will take much effort??

I basically think it's a great idea

Peace

Deadly Moves
01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
That's a fantastic idea Skillet! And could possibly help out 100's of members.

Cacky
01-16-2009, 03:51 PM
I think your idea is brilliant, I definately support it.

Jappe XBA
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Looks good so far :) I'm supporting this!

weesplash
01-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Awesome idea which will get people to fire up games that might start to have dust settling on them. Doesn't seem like too hard of an idea to implement and will definitely help people get those achievements in older games which currently have very quite servers. The mock-up of how the game of the day image could look looks awesome, well done. Really hope this idea gets accepted.

ThrawnOmega
01-16-2009, 05:27 PM
I would love to see something like this. I've never been able to play legit matches of Timeshift, and I would love to try that some time, or have fun in Shadowrun with x360a members. It might be too much do make it a daily thing, but certainly one night a week (let's say every Wednesday night just as an example) would be "x360a game night." That way, everyone knows exactly what night the event will be, which game it will be (so some will have the time to rent if they so choose), and staff only have to update an image (but not the time details) once a week. I think that's managable.

Skillet
01-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I would love to see something like this. I've never been able to play legit matches of Timeshift, and I would love to try that some time, or have fun in Shadowrun with x360a members. It might be too much do make it a daily thing, but certainly one night a week (let's say every Wednesday night just as an example) would be "x360a game night." That way, everyone knows exactly what night the event will be, which game it will be (so some will have the time to rent if they so choose), and staff only have to update an image (but not the time details) once a week. I think that's managable.

Yeah. Exactly. Just... SOMETHING to get the people together with a single game in mind. Keeps the community focused.

Creech
01-16-2009, 05:57 PM
We have done similar things in the past (and there are currently discussions about related ideas going on right now) but the community turnout has generally been very poor, so we stopped holding them.

Not a bad idea, but it is heavily dependent upon the community wanting to play the games chosen, and part of the reason the older game trading threads don't fare well is because not many people want to play those games any longer.

chupapuma
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I am happy to see you used PD as an example... This is a good idea... I too wish they would do this...

Skillet
01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
We have done similar things in the past (and there are currently discussions about related ideas going on right now) but the community turnout has generally been very poor, so we stopped holding them.

Not a bad idea, but it is heavily dependent upon the community wanting to play the games chosen, and part of the reason the older game trading threads don't fare well is because not many people want to play those games any longer.

I'm not saying it should be some huge event where everybody signs up and there's schedules and rules and having a bunch of moderators play...

It's not a tournament type thing.

And like I said, it doesn't have to specifically be old games. Maybe do Halo 3 one night/week... and Crackdown the next.

It's not hard toc hange it to something along the lines of:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/Skillet98/gameoftheweekcopy.png

Even if... 15 people happen to play that night... it's better than two people sitting around in a lobby waiting for a game that's never going to start. And all it took was some staff member's minute and a half to post an image.

Im a Manatee
01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
I think when I tried to organize this summer 07, we had a pretty bad turnout. We have WAAAAAAY more members now.

I for one would just see that, and know that there has to be a few members playing that today. Maybe everyone who has it in their collection would be visible if the image is clicked?

Skillet
01-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I think when I tried to organize this summer 07, we had a pretty bad turnout. We have WAAAAAAY more members now.

I for one would just see that, and know that there has to be a few members playing that today. Maybe everyone who has it in their collection would be visible if the image is clicked?

I wouldn't even say that much effort has to be put into it.

Just click the image and it goes to a thread maybe in the FAQ forum that explains what the Community Game Night is and when it takes place.

Maybe have the next 10 weeks or so in the thread as well so people have time to rent games or buy some MSPoints.

Week of January 19th: Perfect Dark Zero
Week of January 26th: Halo 3
Week of February 2nd: Castle Crashers

Something along those lines.

It might not be huge at first but I think after a few weeks... people will catch on and participate.

Blake
01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
A very bright idea, if it goes to daily the guys will need to be alot more active to put up a game everyday. If it goes weekly i doubt many people will participate. I think we need a system for this and lets hope we don't run out of games i mean 30 games a month :D. It could become a weekend thing too you know because people have more spare time then.

Var 18
01-16-2009, 10:23 PM
To make a quick elaboration, instead of a game of the day every day, possibly "Game of the Day Sunday" or something along the lines of 1 day per week. This would be a day when lots of members who had already completed the games/ still need to complete would help other x360aers with their achievements.

A pretty good idea all around

Evil Demon55
01-17-2009, 02:03 AM
I like it, maybe when it gets popular it can be this: http://gi89.photobucket.com/groups/k237/DA17LUAEUX/Untitled.png?t=1232158914
Later, it could be this: http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/wikboy12/AchievementNight-1.jpg?t=1232160172

Purge
05-09-2009, 07:32 PM
The idea has been there for a while, just nobody has been able to put it into words like good ol' Skillet has.

I support your cause Skillet!

skel3t0n
05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a cool idea, especially for games that are dead and buried for online. Im all for this!

bobocum
05-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Great idea, shouldn't be too hard to implement?

Patchy
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Great idea

As a recent convert to XBL from PSN i am noticing that i re-buy some old but classic titles which i played to death on PSN,and which i'd love to play to death on XBL.

Only thing is,like Skillet says,nobody seems to be playing these games any longer.This is now affecting my game choice when buying these older games as im afraid that 20 out of the 30 achievements will be MP based which would in hindsight be a waste of 5 -10 - 15- 20 Euros if there is no-one to play against.

In closing,i fully support this idea as long as all games are given fair treatment :)

J.Waddo
05-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Its been suggested in the past and I was all for it then, your idea is much better then been suggested before so I am 100% behind this.:)

Skillet
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Wow... never had a thread get bumped like this before :p

At any rate. I still stand behind this "idea". Most people don't play older titles because nobody else really plays older titles. It's one of those vicious circles.

On a site with almost 200,000 MEMBERS and who knows how many regular visitors... I know some people would look at one of those images and go play the game shown.

The only thing in the way is finding somebody to update the image as often as required. It's not really that much of an involved process anyway. Simple is usually better and I think that applies here.

Have a list of games, each week update an image on the main site to get people to play the current game. Hell, let the members choose the games.

Not really that hard or time consuming. :/

Tussell
05-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Personally, it seems like the only people that game together on a 'regular' basis are the subscribers. It would be nice to draw the community as a whole in closer, while knocking off those annoying achievements at the same time. I however don't think it would be strictly achievement boosting every single time, that's the only thing I would say about this is that it should be a mix between casual gaming and achieving.

Overall this idea is awarded:
http://i43.tinypic.com/1051h0j.png

Skillet
05-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Personally, it seems like the only people that game together on a 'regular' basis are the subscribers. It would be nice to draw the community as a whole in closer, while knocking off those annoying achievements at the same time. I however don't think it would be strictly achievement boosting every single time, that's the only thing I would say about this is that it should be a mix between casual gaming and achieving.

Overall this idea is awarded:
http://i43.tinypic.com/1051h0j.png

Of course. The idea isn't just for boosting. It just makes it easier to boost when you know that other people will be playing a certain game.

I think where most of the people who are against this idea lack to understand it, is the fact that this isn't like some huge organized event like a contest or tournament. The idea is just to place an... advertisment of sorts on the front page to direct members and visitors to a certain title for the day or week. Make some friends, spread the word about x360a... get focused on a certain game.

It doesn't have to revolve around some fancy schedule where everybody gets online at a certain time to boost for achievements. Just focus on playing one game so that the community has more of a chance of playing together.

Io Haze oI
05-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I'm definatly backing this as it wouldn't be hard to implement, since it could be just set to once every Saturday/Sunday. Also on a personal note the only time I have ever played with anyone from this site is the few achievement boosting sessions I have attended. So overall having a bit of fun, meeting new people on games is always positive.

SuperNova X2X
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm all for this. You have my support Skillet ;)

I loved playing The Darkness but it's completely dead now, so it would be great to be able to play the older titles with loads of people.

Trifle Pants
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I Think its a great idea.
Its extremely annoying looking at all my old games and achievements i'll probably never get, this could help people immensely.
You got my vote!

Skepsis93
05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Excellent idea. Maybe you should bring it to the attention of one of the Admins?

epik499
05-11-2009, 01:02 PM
I think its a good idea, but I think that it set for the weekend might result in better turn out. Then again it's getting nice out so people might be taking care of stuff outside too - who knows.
I'd also say that it would need a bit of time to catch on to the point where it pleases whomever is taking care of it. Not everyone is going to a) have the game listed or b) have the desire to play it over one they just picked up last week.
But it's something I personally would participate in, if I had the game on hand.
(http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24015)

Asian47
05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I've seen this suggested so many times, and I've been all for it every time.

Having a chance to play with members of X360A sounds exciting to me, hell, I'm sure communities smaller than this have something like game nights going for them. I don't see why this site, one of the largest Xbox sites out there, doesn't have a game night.

master_shake_350
05-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry if I sound like a dick isn't that what Achievements Trading Threads are for?

But in all fairness it is quite good especially if it was mentioned on the main page.

clementsjd1
05-11-2009, 05:06 PM
LOL, Don't know if I spelled that right, but hey its the thought that counts.. This is a brilliant Idea, it could be used as an intragal tool for the x360a community, and to determine which game to use, it would be quite simple, as an administrator on forums you can see which forums have received the most traffic, which will help you decipher what the majority of the community is pulling for. You can definatley shoot for that, if I could recommend the NPP to the person who started this thread I surely would..

Evil Demon55
05-12-2009, 05:57 AM
I like it because it packs more people into 1 game all willing to boost and it can very much e helpful, than looking for 4 people, than 10 minutes later a replacement, than 20 mins later ... ect...

Ingles
05-12-2009, 07:38 AM
As much as I'd love to see an idea like this become a reality, it won't. The reason I know, I mentioned it here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130825&highlight=blast+past) and it was shot down as well. I am however in the process of starting a social group for such a thing. I just think it'd be awesome to have a group where people can go to see what game is being played/boosted and then jump in and help or earn achievements where needed.

LoveAGramm
05-12-2009, 07:57 AM
seems like a good enough idea.

Skillet
05-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry if I sound like a dick isn't that what Achievements Trading Threads are for?

But in all fairness it is quite good especially if it was mentioned on the main page.

The problem is that achievement trading threads don't work quite as they should. Especially for older games, the thread is nothing but people posting their gamertag. I'm not sure how many people actually respond. I know a lot of people don't bother going back to the thread and adding people though.

As much as I'd love to see an idea like this become a reality, it won't. The reason I know, I mentioned it here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=130825&highlight=blast+past) and it was shot down as well. I am however in the process of starting a social group for such a thing. I just think it'd be awesome to have a group where people can go to see what game is being played/boosted and then jump in and help or earn achievements where needed.

Yes, a lot of ideas get shot down around here. ;)

No disrespect to the moderators and administration intended here... but I think they tend to see it a little differently than I do. I have Webb's response to you from the thread that you posted. As well as Creech's response. After quoting them, I'll give reasons as to why I think the line of thinking is wrong. (as if they posted these reasons in this thread)

We have talked about this off and on for at least the last year, but the only times we have organized something along those lines, nobody shows up...probably because nobody plays those games anymore. heh.

The subscribers have done something similar that was somewhat more successful, but it really was a more focused group and essentially a glorified achievement trading thread. It is still available to subscribers, but not particularly used anymore as far as I can tell.

The biggest reason why a lot of people don't seem to grasp this concept is because they think it's like organizing some contest or tournament. My idea (which I can admit is a variant of previously suggested ideas), doesn't involve any real planning or "work". Sometimes the best things are the most simple. It's not like I'm suggesting we schedule a day and time when the entire site should get online and play one game. The word "turnout" isn't even present in my mind for this.

As for something like you suggested, the problem would be time; 1. it would add to our never ending job list, 2. there would never be enough weeks to cover all the games people wanted to look at. The demand just isn't big enough for this sort of thing and out of a six figure community, helping 5 people would be a very inefficient way to spend our time.

This is pretty close to what Webby told me on MSN when I talked to him about my version of the idea. Again, without any disrespect since I know the staff here is very busy...

1: Yes, the idea would require someone to change the main-site image. But how long does it take to remove one pre-made image and replace it with a new one? I can't imagine it takes all that long, really. As for anything else forum-side... nobody really needs main-site access to edit and run that. So if the image linked to a thread in maybe the FAQ forum... even a simple member could "run" it.

2: Valid point... but who says you have to play every game in a year? The joyful part of this is, there are plenty of games available.

3: I think the demand is much higher than most people (including myself) think it is. The problem is that a) not everybody who would use the feature is a member, b) not everybody wants to give their opinion on the matter, and c) not all of the members access this forum and check on any "new" ideas to even be aware that it's out there.

4: I'm 100% positive this would help a lot more than 5 people. :p

So... any other thoughts as to why it would fail? I honestly don't see how this can be considered a bad idea by anyone's standards.

B T E R
05-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Wow... never had a thread get bumped like this before :p

At any rate. I still stand behind this "idea". Most people don't play older titles because nobody else really plays older titles. It's one of those vicious circles.

On a site with almost 200,000 MEMBERS and who knows how many regular visitors... I know some people would look at one of those images and go play the game shown.

The only thing in the way is finding somebody to update the image as often as required. It's not really that much of an involved process anyway. Simple is usually better and I think that applies here.

Have a list of games, each week update an image on the main site to get people to play the current game. Hell, let the members choose the games.

Not really that hard or time consuming. :/
but if the members choose, then only the popular games, e.g halo 3, will be chosen, and so the games that nobody played will be ignored. but if the mods and admins do it, they can't possibly own all the games, so they might only choose the games they have, not trying to be offensive. but they might not no all of the ignored games. i will support this idea though.

Ingles
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Having an admin/moderator of such an idea that only picked out games they needed help in would defeat the purpose of having a "community game week", keyword community. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't care to load up old games of mine to help out others as long as there was a need for that particular game.

With a feature like this, we could run it for a week or two to give everyone time to participate. Not everyone has weekends or evenings off when most gamers play. This would allow everyone an adequate amount of time who wanted to help/needed help a chance to participate. If myself and a few others would be willing to get something like this off the ground, I don't see where it would be a lot of work to keep it going. I mean, changing out an image on the main page with a link to a thread or social group would be the only real change needed every... two weeks like we said? I wouldn't think that'd be too much work but then again, that's atop all the work already that I'm sure needs to be done day in and day out.

Skillet
05-12-2009, 09:27 PM
but if the members choose, then only the popular games, e.g halo 3, will be chosen, and so the games that nobody played will be ignored. but if the mods and admins do it, they can't possibly own all the games, so they might only choose the games they have, not trying to be offensive. but they might not no all of the ignored games. i will support this idea though.

So let the members choose one week and the mods the next. :p

That or let the members choose... but make sure they don't chose the same game twice over the course of say 3 months. Give or take a month.

Not really all that hard to work out. :woop:

Having an admin/moderator of such an idea that only picked out games they needed help in would defeat the purpose of having a "community game week", keyword community. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't care to load up old games of mine to help out others as long as there was a need for that particular game.

With a feature like this, we could run it for a week or two to give everyone time to participate. Not everyone has weekends or evenings off when most gamers play. This would allow everyone an adequate amount of time who wanted to help/needed help a chance to participate. If myself and a few others would be willing to get something like this off the ground, I don't see where it would be a lot of work to keep it going. I mean, changing out an image on the main page with a link to a thread or social group would be the only real change needed every... two weeks like we said? I wouldn't think that'd be too much work but then again, that's atop all the work already that I'm sure needs to be done day in and day out.

I don't think it needs to be spread out over two weeks. Weekly would be fine. Like I said, there could be a thread with maybe the next ten weeks' games posted. Everyone would (or at least should) have plenty of time to aquire the games needed then.

adz5000
05-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Great idea it should be made a weekend thing like every Friday,Saturdayand Sunday night between 8.00pm and 2.00am

Ingles
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Great idea it should be made a weekend thing like every Friday,Saturdayand Sunday night between 8.00pm and 2.00am

I serious don't see it being strictly a weekend thing and especially narrowing it down to weekend evenings. Think about time zones here. Your 8 p.m. - 2 a.m. is different than others. That wouldn't really be to fair now would it. :)

A week is plenty of time I think. Come out with a pre-made list of older games to party up with community members and play? Is that what you are suggesting Skillet? That would work out. We'd need someone to make the images for each game which would not be a problem. I think the image you made for PDZ was great and would suffice just perfectly to get peoples attention. If the admins still won't approve of placing it somewhere on the main site (right side column or something), then we can start in the forums. If it gets popular enough then maybe we could gain a spot on the main page. Think of the people who just use the site who would then consider registering with x360a and being a member to take part in these community game weeks we'd be advertising. Thoughts?

Skillet
05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Not specifically older games. Newer ones are welcome. But the whole 360 library should be included IMO.

And like I said, I'm not suggesting a big organized event. Just let it be known that for a week, the x360a community is working on one game and other people are welcome. Give some direction to the huddled masses, so to speak. :p

KostinKid
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Sounds really good.

Ingles
05-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Not specifically older games. Newer ones are welcome. But the whole 360 library should be included IMO.

And like I said, I'm not suggesting a big organized event. Just let it be known that for a week, the x360a community is working on one game and other people are welcome. Give some direction to the huddled masses, so to speak. :p

I had written up some things for a social group last month and have been going back and updating those old files. I never went ahead and created the group just yet because I wanted to see if there was that big of an interest and also to get some logistics taken care of. I say if you want, we could go ahead and start up a group and go from there. See how things work out. What shall we call it though?

x360a - community gaming crew
x360a - a community gaming onslaught
the x360a gaming pub
x360a gaming arena

Hmm... these were just off the top of my head. Don't ask. ;)

Any suggestions? I'll go ahead and get it created once we think of a neato name and we can just start adding from there. :)

Skillet
05-13-2009, 12:59 AM
I don't really care what it's called. lol

As long as it isn't silly.

vgcollateral
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
crackin idea, gets my vote anyway

Br0kenAssass1n
05-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Definitely a good idea, would help many gamers that need achievements in obscure games. It would also help people to just enjoy a nice, legit lobby of their favourite older games.

With regards to the increased workload, why not create a ne team? You have the Review Team, the Submit Team and also the Game of the Day/Week Team...