PDA

View Full Version : Expanding Awards Feature

Skepsis93
01-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey, i've had an idea, i'm not sure if you'll like it but I thought i'd throw it out there anyway... my search came up with nothing so here goes

I know the site already has a yearly 'achievement awards', but how about a similar awards type thing that relates to the members and the forums, something to award commitment, skill, imagination ect in their posts...

We could make this yearly, half-yearly or even monthly

Some ideas are:

Best overall poster
Most improved poster
Funniest poster
Best thread
Best new poster
Best mod
Best writer
Best artist
Best avatar
Best sig

Thanks for your time :)

AOS Puck
01-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I doubt this would happen as it would cause a lot more work on the Staff's side of things, plus these types of things just turn into a huge popularity contest.

Skepsis93
01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I doubt this would happen as it would cause a lot more work on the Staff's side of things

More people for an 'awards' team? Simple enough, just set up a thread for nominations and collate for results.

Minty
01-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Popularity contest is the main issue. And out of the 33,000 active members, we cant possibly single out one or two people lol.

Skepsis93
01-16-2009, 09:11 PM
And out of the 33,000 active members, we cant possibly single out one or two people lol.
Lol, I never thought of that. Maybe this is an idea for a smaller forum. Sorry for wasting your time :)

dakisbac
01-16-2009, 09:34 PM
You didn't mention it, but a new award I'd like to see introduced is an award for organising a good, solid, boosting group. I've said it numerous times, but my main gripe with this site is the people who just go into the achievement trading threads and say "my gt is suchandsuch, send me a message on XBL". Those people take just want things handed to them.

I'm happy enough knowing that I organised a good session, and that everyone got what they came for, but an award for doing so wouldn't hurt

Skillet
01-16-2009, 10:20 PM
You didn't mention it, but a new award I'd like to see introduced is an award for organising a good, solid, boosting group. I've said it numerous times, but my main gripe with this site is the people who just go into the achievement trading threads and say "my gt is suchandsuch, send me a message on XBL". Those people take just want things handed to them.

I'm happy enough knowing that I organised a good session, and that everyone got what they came for, but an award for doing so wouldn't hurt

And how exactly would that be done? Anybody can say they were in a good session and all the people that were there got the achievements they wanted.

But for an award to be given, a staff member would have to participate in the same session. I don't quite see that happening.

Eternal
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
These awards would really only work on small forums where every member can be accounted for. I would know ;)

dakisbac
01-17-2009, 12:00 AM
And how exactly would that be done? Anybody can say they were in a good session and all the people that were there got the achievements they wanted.

But for an award to be given, a staff member would have to participate in the same session. I don't quite see that happening.

I actually intended to address this in my initial post, but it seems I forgot. We have a board where people go to complain about boosters that ditched them, so I propose we have another board where people can go in and nominate a user for the award. Like the complaint board, all messages would be hidden from regular users.

Minty
01-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I actually intended to address this in my initial post, but it seems I forgot. We have a board where people go to complain about boosters that ditched them, so I propose we have another board where people can go in and nominate a user for the award. Like the complaint board, all messages would be hidden from regular users.

Like a popularity contest board??

Keano
01-17-2009, 12:06 AM

That wouldn't work at all. Friends would just nominate each other so they can get the award. There would be no way of determining whether or not a boosting session went on without a member of staff being present which waste their time unless they actually wanted to boost.

the_b1ues
01-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Dont think these would happen how would they be judged?

Best overall poster - People will just post crap to get this award
Most improved poster - Imporved in what?
Funniest poster - Dont need anymore rubbish on here.
Best new poster - Dont no how this would even work lol
Best mod - They will prob be doing the voting
Best writer - Might work
Best artist - Might Work
Best avatar - People are always changing no way to judge
Best sig - Same as Avatar

Not trying to offend you.

dakisbac
01-17-2009, 12:15 AM
That wouldn't work at all. Friends would just nominate each other so they can get the award. There would be no way of determining whether or not a boosting session went on without a member of staff being present which waste their time unless they actually wanted to boost.

The same way a group of friends can currently just go to the complaint board and all complain against someone they don't like. It's the same thing. Every system is flawed, and I'm just making this up as I go along. If this were to ever be implemented it'd have to be well thought out- which is obviously not the case at this time.

Minty: No you

Keano
01-17-2009, 12:25 AM
The same way a group of friends can currently just go to the complaint board and all complain against someone they don't like. It's the same thing. Every system is flawed, and I'm just making this up as I go along. If this were to ever be implemented it'd have to be well thought out- which is obviously not the case at this time.

Minty: No you

They're different situations though. You cannot really get banned without sufficient evidence. If they're just random complaints for no reason then they will not be followed up. Giving awards for boosting is something that can't really be monitered.

dakisbac
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
They're different situations though. You cannot really get banned without sufficient evidence. If they're just random complaints for no reason then they will not be followed up. Giving awards for boosting is something that can't really be monitered.

I honestly love when people say "sufficient evidence/sufficient proof" (this has nothing to do with you, I'm thinking about a debate I had the other day) I'm not a mod, so I don't know, but what counts as sufficient proof? Maybe I could complain that "we boosted at Jan 1, 09 and he got the achievements, then left us. We have the achievements now because we had to get someone else to help us"- even though in reality he helped us out but we just didn't like his voice? So what would a mod do? Check the gamercard and see if the person has the achievement? Would he or she consider how many people complained. I would really like to know, because whatever their determinant, I could probably find ways around.

I get what you mean though, this could be abused. But what counts as "sufficient proof" for a legitimate nomination? Would I need to link to a bunch of posts showing the organization, and the dedication, as well as the word of X number of people? Would that count?

We have one feature here that's already implemented that can be abused, and a similar feature that could also be abused but is apparently not a good idea. Anyone seeing the logic in this?

Anyways, I'm done. I'm almost at the point of arguing for the sake of arguing. I need to go back to GameFAQs and unwind.

Asariel
01-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Just to say I have seen this work somewhat well over on the Codemasters boards (LMA Manager specifically, and it has around 1,000,000 posts). The method was to have a mod or admin take all nominations via PM and any revealing their nominations in the forum becoming void.

I'd have to agree though on an achievement based site, friends are likely going to 'boost' each other and I've a hard time seeing how it could work here. You could always have a representative panel of members/mods who take suggestions via PM and decide these awards perhaps looking through past posts of said users. A lot of work though.

Think I'm coming out on the negative on this one. =/

dakisbac
01-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Lol, it doesn't really matter. Nothing I suggest ever gets implemented, whether it be here or GameFAQs. The reason is always either "too much work" or "too much potential for abuse"

BemusedBox
01-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I was thinking about this the other night purely selfish reasons my awards showcase is a bit bare.So i went and had a look at the awards and well looks like theres not many i could get wont write a guide/road map or a+ thread.Theres no tournys any more and who knows if there will be another gamerscore league i could subsribe but it seems like im just buying the award and id like to earn it.So back to this thread i agree awards that are post related would be to hard to judge but how about some awards for what were here for achievements say every 3 months awards for.

1 most 1st and 2nd places in the 200/1000 clubs
2 most games compleated
3 bigest gamescore gain

there could be more i just thought these would be easy to judge what do you think about it.

Evil Demon55
01-17-2009, 01:54 AM

I'm happy enough knowing that I organised a good session, and that everyone got what they came for, but an award for doing so wouldn't hurt I like that, I organize almost all my boosting, and I hate the people who post that than when you ask them, they either ignore you or rented the game... maybe the should of mentioned they were renting so I didn't have to waste my time.

dakisbac
01-17-2009, 02:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing Bemused. I've got the Word of Mouth for being a representer, but I wasn't active in the forums back when all these other activities were going on- so I missed out. The only thread that I've ever made that's been stickied is a Speed Run guide for Assassins Creed, and that's not deserving of the A+ award.

Then again, I wonder why I even care about these awards. Maybe cuz they're like achievements on an achievement site. I dunno, how about giving me an award calld Dedicated for having 1000/1000 on GRAW.

Hayden
01-17-2009, 02:06 AM
I was thinking about this the other night purely selfish reasons my awards showcase is a bit bare.So i went and had a look at the awards and well looks like theres not many i could get wont write a guide/road map or a+ thread.Theres no tournys any more and who knows if there will be another gamerscore league i could subsribe but it seems like im just buying the award and id like to earn it.So back to this thread i agree awards that are post related would be to hard to judge but how about some awards for what were here for achievements say every 3 months awards for.

2 most games compleated
3 bigest gamescore gain

there could be more i just thought these would be easy to judge what do you think about it.

The majority of the awards we give out are for helping the site out:- word of mouth, bright idea, A+ et al.

It has been suggested before that we offer awards for 100k,200k,games completed etc, but these do not help the site.

narcolepticshee
01-17-2009, 02:15 AM

2 most games compleated
3 bigest gamescore gain

As Hayden says, awards are given out by the site, for doing things for the site. Getting yourself 1000g in a load of games doesn't help the site, neither does completing games and neither does gaining gamerscore...

Peace

Hayden
01-17-2009, 02:23 AM
As Hayden says, awards are given out by the site, for doing things for the site. Getting yourself 1000g in a load of games doesn't help the site, neither does completing games and neither does gaining gamerscore...

Peace

Also awards can only be given out by Admins of which there are 4, all awards are given out manually.

100k+ members, with so many 1000/200's, 100k+ etc = a LOT of work

The Pants Party
01-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Lol, it doesn't really matter. Nothing I suggest ever gets implemented, whether it be here or GameFAQs. The reason is always either "too much work" or "too much potential for abuse"

You seem to think there is something wrong with those excuses? If we implement things that increase our workload, our normal duties (the ones we deem important, such as doing news, reviews, achievements, guides, etc.) would suffer and the things we are known for and that make us the #1 site on the web for achievements would not be as good.

As for the second excuse, people abusing things like that also create more work for us, and then not only do the features not work properly, we're back to square one with not getting our other shit done because we had to deal with it.

dakisbac
01-17-2009, 05:00 AM
No, they're perfectly valid excuses. I'm just saying that whenever I have a new idea, that's all I hear. I wanna hear something fresh, even a "that idea sucks" would be new, although not truthful ;)

But I think this site, like GameFAQs, has a problem with too few moderators. If you have more work, you can always get more workers and maintain the balance.

drno
01-17-2009, 05:48 AM
No, they're perfectly valid excuses. I'm just saying that whenever I have a new idea, that's all I hear. I wanna hear something fresh, even a "that idea sucks" would be new, although not truthful ;)

But I think this site, like GameFAQs, has a problem with too few moderators. If you have more work, you can always get more workers and maintain the balance.
We have teams to do individual jobs, it's just what you're asking requires a team of respected and trustworthy individuals to judge people based off of their performance.

This isn't a job interview, keeping the awards less objectified is better and the ones suggested are basically telling everyone else that they're not good enough to qualify. Adding workload is a significant problem; in this case the reward would be less than pointless... it'd just be demeaning.

The Pants Party
01-17-2009, 06:41 AM
If we were slacking with the things that actually make this site what it is I would agree we need more help, but just saying we need more help so that we can implement features that we don't really want in the first place... yeah, not so much.

I've told plenty of people that their ideas are plain trash in the past if you want to search for those for some truth. :p

Lordvader178
01-17-2009, 07:29 AM
Personally, i think that these awards will cause fights amongst the members here because they are not deserving, or someone who's been with the site for ages and always posts and is really popular will get it. Hell, even a few of the new girl members will get some awards if its a popularity contest.

Mantra
01-17-2009, 07:50 PM
How about throwing a bone to those heroes that spend waking hours writing guides for us?
I'd love to see them having a little more spotlight, as I know I would NEVER be able to
find some of the ways they come up to get the achievements.

Heck, mention them in the front page so we can say "Thank you" collectively.

They deserve it.

Keano
01-17-2009, 07:56 PM
How about throwing a bone to those heroes that spend waking hours writing guides for us?
I'd love to see them having a little more spotlight, as I know I would NEVER be able to

They deserve it.

Isn't that what the awards for writing guides are used for?

The Pants Party
01-17-2009, 08:04 PM
People who write guides get an award on the forum (for 3, 6 or 10 guides written), their name on the guides page (link below) and their name on the Achievement Unlocked post which I had been doing bi-weekly, but with the winter lull there hasn't been much to report, so I decided to do Dec and Jan all in one shot.

(http://www.xbox360achievements.org/guides/Retail/)

DrizztDourden43
01-17-2009, 08:16 PM
How would these people be chosen for the awards if it were even to be implemented? With the awards out now there is actually something that has to be done. If they brought in stuff like "most improved poster", the only way it could be given is by a vote. Only the staff would be able to vote, because everyone else would vote for themselves. In the end it would still be causing more work for them.

By the way, how do you guys choose the member of the month? Is that a vote between staff as well?

BCPotter
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Popularity contest is the main issue. And out of the 33,000 active members, we cant possibly single out one or two people lol.

So hopefully we'll never see the "Member of the Month" thing again?

and neither does having a vagina, but you'll get an award for that. :)

Skepsis93
01-18-2009, 04:10 PM

They deserve it.
I agree, thats what I had in mind when I suggested the 'best mod', 'best writer' and 'best artist' awards. I accept now that the others would be too hard to deal with but I think these could work, and help the site out.

The Pants Party
01-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Why not? It is much easier to say "this person helped the site a great deal in these certain ways this month" than to say "this person was the best overall (whatever) for the entire year" -- but if you'll notice, we have not had them much lately (two in the last half year) though I suspect there will be one soon for a recent feature. ;)

Keano
01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Why not? It is much easier to say "this person helped the site a great deal in these certain ways this month" than to say "this person was the best overall (whatever) for the entire year" -- but if you'll notice, we have not had them much lately (two in the last half year) though I suspect there will be one soon for a recent feature. ;)

Who could that possibly be :confused:

BCPotter
01-19-2009, 08:58 PM

I've only seen the member of the month thing a few times, but I haven't been a fan of the idea. Maybe it goes back to my younger days where my coworkers would get an employee of the month recognition and then become arrogant assholes because they excelled at making burgers. It still goes against what Minty said and singles out one or two individuals. :)

Perhaps the wording should be changed to Member of the Moment since they're no longer monthly (if they ever were). I agree with you though that a recent feature would justify the title though.

Skepsis93
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
can we keep this on topic? what do you guys think about the best writer and best artist awards?

Minty
01-19-2009, 09:50 PM
can we keep this on topic? what do you guys think about the best writer and best artist awards?

Well we have sig of the fortnight for artists. And we have 1.4 million posts, so picking nominees is going to take a little while....

Keano
01-19-2009, 09:52 PM
I doubt this would happen as it would cause a lot more work on the Staff's side of things, plus these types of things just turn into a huge popularity contest.

These awards would really only work on small forums where every member can be accounted for. I would know ;)

Dont think these would happen how would they be judged?

Best overall poster - People will just post crap to get this award
Most improved poster - Imporved in what?
Funniest poster - Dont need anymore rubbish on here.
Best new poster - Dont no how this would even work lol
Best mod - They will prob be doing the voting
Best writer - Might work
Best artist - Might Work
Best avatar - People are always changing no way to judge
Best sig - Same as Avatar

Not trying to offend you.

Personally, i think that these awards will cause fights amongst the members here because they are not deserving, or someone who's been with the site for ages and always posts and is really popular will get it. Hell, even a few of the new girl members will get some awards if its a popularity contest.

I think thats the general jist of what most people think about the idea. I'm not trying to be a dick but it's already been knocked back ;)

Skepsis93
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Well we have sig of the fortnight for artists.
Didn't know that, and I was thinking just writers of guides/reviews ect

Minty
01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Didn't know that, and I was thinking just writers of guides/reviews ect

They have an award for that. If we arent happy with someones work on the guide or review team, we drop them. Comparing stuff like that is wrong.

MoM is different as the person hasnt requested to do something specific for the site, or been asked, they have normally done or suggested something above and beyond everyone else that month.

Skepsis93
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Heck, mention them in the front page so we can say Thank you collectively.

They deserve it.
Vader - some people agree that the people who work very hard on guides and reviews deserve some proper recognition

Minty
01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
What more recognition do you want?!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/staff/

Skepsis93
01-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Alright, fair enough, I went too far, just trying to improve the site. Sorry for wasting your time.

Mantra
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Sorry Minty, but that is somewhat limited.
Ok, fair enough, some names are there.

From the top of my head, whre's the guy who wrote that behemoth of a
guide for Lost Odyssey's Treasure Trove?

And no, I don't even know him though we live in the same country.

But there are a lot of people who go unnoticed, man! They may become
discouraged and then what will happen to me? :confused:

Heh, you know what I mean. But hey, you da boss. ;)

Minty
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
People that write guides get an award for writing a guide. We are not going to start picking individuals out of all those that write guides for writing a better guide than someone else.

That is the point of the awards we currently have.

The Pants Party
01-20-2009, 06:40 PM
People who write things like that (not achievement guides since that already has an award) get the A+ Award... and I could have sworn he had got that, but I see that he doesn't have it... I will see that he does soon though. :p

Mantra
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
People that write guides get an award for writing a guide. We are not going to start picking individuals out of all those that write guides for writing a better guide than someone else.

That is the point of the awards we currently have.
I am not discussing the significance of the awards. But sometimes there's that guy who just kinda looks like the lifesaver for the community because of this or that (not necessarily guides or whatnot).

Heck what I'm talking about is the same thing as the roadmap thing, toned down, so you can motivate a little more all those who can write guides and contribute with something more productive.

It doesn't have to be one user only, you don't even need to leave anyone out either, just a brief mention like: "We give our thanks to these users for helping us increase our guide library. Here's a cookie."

Yeah, I know it is prone to some bitching by some, but I'm sure there are those topics you read and think "Holy hell, that's a lot of hours there!"

People who write things like that (not achievement guides since that already has an award) get the A+ Award... and I could have sworn he had got that, but I see that he doesn't have it... I will see that he does soon though. :p Well, then. This made my ranting worth it.

Now I'll shut up.

The Pants Party
01-20-2009, 07:30 PM
You're talking about the "Achievement Unlocked" post.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/archive.php?page=2

dakisbac
01-20-2009, 08:51 PM
[quoted text]

MotM I think is for people that have been a great asset to the site, which is why this award isn't just a popularity contest. You can find a list of people on the awards team. The only thing against it is that just looking at it, I can see a few people I recognize simply because they are staff (reviewers, mods, etc)

[quoted text]

and neither does having a vagina, but you'll get an award for that. :)

I agree with this though

What exactly is a Contributor?

All that aside, I'd just like to point out that it's harder for those of us who are not staff to get achievement guides and roadmaps accepted (thus, getting the awards) since we cannot look at the submission thread and then activate them immediately. You may get two people submitting different guides for the same thing, look at the first and add it because it's good, then find the second one later and then think to yourself "this is good too, but is it better than the one just posted?" and then not change it.

The Pants Party
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Staff are not allowed to earn MOM. The people on the list who are staff now were not so when they earned the award. I rose so quickly to staff I did not have time to earn it myself. :p

Contributors (in the sense of the Achievement Unlocked post) are the people who sent in all the updates (missing images, guides, etc.) that are listed above said list of Contributors. I believe this is what Mantra was hoping to see done, but we obviously already do it.

As for your concern on guides, very few are actually done by staff. If it appears to be a lot, that is mostly because over the years, the most active and helpful members have eventually become staff. So active people write guides that get accepted, then they become staff and continue to do so. It is more a comfort level with their guides and that we know if this person writes a guide we can just accept it, while if this other person writes one I know I will have some work to do before it could be posted live.

dakisbac
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Er, I meant Contributor as part of the Staff. You have 8 people listed there

EDIT: All those names look familiar. That "Contributor" heading, does that just mean Moderator?

The Pants Party
01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Oh, those are the moderators who don't really have other duties around the forum. Except Covert and Pandora run the Maximum Clubs, Nightdragon does a lot of our graphics and Khaos helps out with the guides from time to time.

Hot Juicy Pie
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Just the "Best" aspect is a bit shady to me and could cause conflict among users. Especially since there would have to be only 1 per category. For instance:

"You really think that guy is funnier/wittier/smarter/more contributive than I am? Well fuck you buddy!"

Skepsis93
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Sorry Minty, but that is somewhat limited.
Ok, fair enough, some names are there.

From the top of my head, whre's the guy who wrote that behemoth of a
guide for Lost Odyssey's Treasure Trove?

And no, I don't even know him though we live in the same country.

But there are a lot of people who go unnoticed, man! They may become
discouraged and then what will happen to me? :confused:

Heh, you know what I mean. But hey, you da boss. ;)

Ok so I'm not going to get any more involved, but I'm glad to see someone agrees with me Mantra, I thought I was alone on this one ;)

Mantra
01-21-2009, 06:47 PM
There's at least 33.000 regulars, of course there's bound to be more opinions like ours.
But do they voice themselves? Surely not.

I kind of dislike the blinding speed some good ideas are shot down, but hey, the forum/site was here way before I even registered.

Maybe some people just don't care or don't even feel the community enough to ask for some alterations.

I'd love to see some forum clean-up (i'ts way too strange that front page with all the games listed) and some ideas like this one are valid and I show my support.

Yeah, they are met with firm resistance but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Minty
01-21-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd love to see some forum clean-up (i'ts way too strange that front page with all the games listed) and some ideas like this one are valid and I show my support.

Yeah, they are met with firm resistance but it doesn't hurt to ask.

It's not always firm resistance, but you have to realise that sometimes when somethings been mentioned before it's a repeat. We do look at all suggestions, and some do get implemented.

And the game lists will be there for a long time yet, because it makes life easier for people who use CTRL F ;)

Mantra
01-22-2009, 12:54 AM
I do Minty, I really do. And yes, I'm aware some ideas might be repeats and at this point some slight changes could very well mean a massive blow in terms of bandwidth
or hard work and I'm cool with that.

I know some of us can be pick about small things but that is a sign that people always look at everything and want things to get better.

And it's one sweet and sour taste of having this many users...

Lordvader178
01-22-2009, 01:03 AM
vader - some people agree that the people who work very hard on guides and reviews deserve some proper recognition
I didn't say anything!

Mantra
01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, someone opened a topic giving praise to them already.
Talk about happenstance.

Jappe XBA
01-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Umm... here is some new awards I think would be cool:

- An award to the member of the site who has submitted most achievement pictures
- Like the above but submitted guides
- Like above but road maps

Those 3 awards would be given once a year, to the members that have posted most achievement pictures, guides and road maps. Shouldn't be too hard or too complicated to make, eh? I understand if you don't count those things but you could make a text file in your computer where you would list every members name that posts an approved guide/road map or achievement picture to the site. :p