PDA

View Full Version : x360a App for iPhone

Medz
01-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Who would like to see an App from x360a for our iPhones/iPod Touches?

When will we see an innovative App for the iPhone/iPod Touch for x360a? Alot of us have one and want something awesome. Is there anything in the works?

Deleted2014-12-02
01-17-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't have an iPhone or anything... but couldn't you just use a web browser to load up x360a?

Medz
01-17-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't have an iPhone or anything... but couldn't you just use a web browser to load up x360a?

You can... and it is sufficient. But even on WiFi, the wait is a bum. Maybe an App could help sorting and speed up the process.

Who has time to wait for the browser to load when you're working hard to earn those achievements anyways?! :)

Var 18
01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
It is a good idea, but wouldn't it be a lot of work for a small thing that stops only minor inconveniences?

Evil Demon55
01-17-2009, 01:52 AM
I've seen a thread about this before, it would be a good idea I think... but I have no idea how much work it would take or look like, since I do not have an iPhone/iPod Touch.

Medz
01-17-2009, 02:09 AM
I've seen a thread about this before, it would be a good idea I think... but I have no idea how much work it would take or look like, since I do not have an iPhone/iPod Touch.

I will admit I am not one who would know where to start to make one. But functions like: Access to your checklists, a section for the Top 5 Games you are playing/working on, a news section, a friends/message section, poll section, etc.

The ideas are limitless and I believe it could be a stellar App if done correctly.

narcolepticshee
01-17-2009, 02:09 AM
1. You have to have a reason for an app. You don't explain at ALL what you want this app to do?

2. If you wanted it to be a x360a site style app, then it still needs to have access to the internet to update - so it would take the same time as going on safari...

3. It costs money to make an app... (just for the liscence at least) and time - which the staff of this site probably don't have

This seems like a REALLY stupid idea. You need to expand on your original post a LOT before anyone starts to take this seriously... Just saying you'd like an app for the iphone is useless, you need to explain EXACTLY what you want it to do - but even then, I'd doubt it'd go through.

Peace

Medz
01-17-2009, 02:14 AM
1. You have to have a reason for an app. You don't explain at ALL what you want this app to do?

2. If you wanted it to be a x360a site style app, then it still needs to have access to the internet to update - so it would take the same time as going on safari...

3. It costs money to make an app... (just for the liscence at least) and time - which the staff of this site probably don't have

This seems like a REALLY stupid idea. You need to expand on your original post a LOT before anyone starts to take this seriously... Just saying you'd like an app for the iphone is useless, you need to explain EXACTLY what you want it to do - but even then, I'd doubt it'd go through.

Peace

Check out my ideas above. My intentions were to brew some creatively. This site has tons of innovation and gets better everytime I jump on.

More Ideas to think of: A section dedicated to Easy Achievements and Hard Achievements; direct links to You Tube videos for explanation and "achievements show-how"; a section dedicated to the new Road Maps where we can see these first this take links to the dedicated Game Achievement List.

Krueger
01-17-2009, 02:15 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54006&highlight=iphone

Medz
01-17-2009, 02:23 AM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54006&highlight=iphone

This was a blessing. I remember how it was before this came along. But look at my phone now...

Medz
01-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Does anyone else have any ideas as to what they would like to see in a x360a App?

Hitchman
01-22-2009, 10:11 PM
i would love to see this happen

jorGe62990
01-22-2009, 11:44 PM
What about a BlackBerry launcher?

Medz
01-23-2009, 01:15 AM
If one can be made for the iPhone I do not see why one couldn't be made for the Blackberry as well. I believe they [Blackberry] are coming out with an App store in a couple of months. :woop:

Sanction
01-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Screw the app, I just want a mobile site. Loading the current html site is a pain, even though I have a Storm that runs 3G, it's still a pain.

jorGe62990
01-23-2009, 01:35 AM
If one can be made for the iPhone I do not see why one couldn't be made for the Blackberry as well. I believe they [Blackberry] are coming out with an App store in a couple of months. :woop:
A launcher is not exactly an application. Basically it is just an icon that can be placed on the home screen (or anywhere else on the BB) that directly launches x360a through the browser. It's really just a shortcut.

But I do agree with Sanction, there are some serious problems loading x360a on most mobile phones including blackberries. Is there anyway to make the forums WAP-compatible (specifically designed for easy mobile access). WAP isn't as detailed as HTML and won't show much images, but posting is a breeze.

Medz
01-23-2009, 02:20 AM
[quote=jorGe62990;1530896]A launcher is not exactly an application. Basically it is just an icon that can be placed on the home screen (or anywhere else on the BB) that directly launches x360a through the browser. It's really just a shortcut.

Thanks for the knowledge :)

If they made one for the iPhone one should be easily made for the Blackberry

Medz
01-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Screw the app, I just want a mobile site. Loading the current html site is a pain, even though I have a Storm that runs 3G, it's still a pain.

It is a pain. This is why I brought a notion of using a full blown App, possibly with databanks that could be updated with the guides. Just something that is a little easier, quicker and efficient.

Cheezbrgr
01-23-2009, 04:59 AM
No way, the site works fine. I would LOVE an iPhone app called x360a where I could quick browse achievement lists and the achievement guide, as well as game reviews. Just these 3 things would be GREAT. If anyone does have the skill to make one, I will help however I can. A great suggestion, but you need a programmer.

Might I suggest contacting 'Borocouncilman'.

He is the one who made the iNXEs App and the 1337PWn friends application for the iPod Touch/phone, so he does have some experience.

Clipse 2
01-23-2009, 06:57 AM
I got my iPhone back in November and dove into the iTunes Apps craze. After downloading the Myspace and Facebook apps I began to think of how an X360A iPhone/iPod Touch application would work with a similar layout to that of the Myspace and Facebook apps. An application pulling specific information from various parts of the site, Gaming News, Site News, Achievement listings, Guides, etc. I can't say I'm much of a programmer as I only know Java myself. I've never worked with Apple's Xcode software, however have gone ahead applied and been accepted as an Apple iPhone/iPod Touch developer meaning I can develop and upload applications to iTunes for approval. I applied after messaging Webb on November 28th of last year asking if he had any knowledge of Routine developing the application we're speaking of. Webb told he that he didn't believe so and I took it as initiative to start planning. However I work in the retail industry, it was Christmas time and obviously I didn't get anything done. I'm taking another semester off from school so I'll have some free time to maybe get into this depending on if anyone else wants to take the project. As I said I've never done an application in Xcode and if I were to do it I'm sure it would take me some time to read through some tutorials, and get something in alpha stages.

Medz
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately I lack the programming knowledge too. My hopes when starting this thread was to rally up support and other voices to see how we can use our favorite site more efficiently as well as spread the word of its existence.

If I am able to help, let me know. I can generate ideas, but I need a team with skills to help push these through. Point me in the direction of what skills I need to learn and I am willing to try.

Thanks Clipse V2 for taking interest and sharing your ideas! :)

Minty
01-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Have you stopped to think how many people have an iphone that would actually use it?

Cant be more than a hundred tops. SO you're asking to take time/resources/money from a site with 155,000 members for the sake of very few.

Yeah it would be nice to happen in the future, but that's going to be a long time in the future.

Maka
01-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I would sure love it but I dont think its the best idea.

Although I would love to see a version of the site I could access over a mobile phone so that it wouldnt take as long as it does now. This way at least we could satisfy more people, with one project.

The forums are almost near impossible to use as well.

Medz
01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Have you stopped to think how many people have an iphone that would actually use it?

Cant be more than a hundred tops. So you're asking to take time/resources/money from a site with 155,000 members for the sake of very few.

Yeah it would be nice to happen in the future, but that's going to be a long time in the future.

Yes, I actually thought of it months ago but didn't bother because there weren't mass member numbers. But I was in a Borders bookstore last week and saw that some guy made a book with the guides from this site. I didn't even know it existed. If there are gamers who haven't seen this site and saw that book, I am sure they would check the site out for pure interest. If an App is made, x360a would spread like wild fire and we would definitely gain new members. New members mean more diversity which means different tips and tricks for all of us to enjoy.

Pretty much Advertising 101; an App, even if it just pulls up guides will still pull in new members. :woop:

Clipse 2
01-24-2009, 06:40 AM

Cant be more than a hundred tops. SO you're asking to take time/resources/money from a site with 155,000 members for the sake of very few.

Who knows how many would actually use it. Once its developed, running, and placed on the iTunes Apps list for all we know it might draw people in from pure curiosity. I don't see how time/resources/money would be involved if someone that is a non-staff member were to develop the program. If anything the developer might need permissions or direct addresses to specific items, but nothing that would take away time/resources/money from the site. The developer I would hope (I know I would) offer the application free of charge for those who might care to use it.

I'll be honest, I don't have the precise programming knowledge to create the application. I don't know much about Object - C 2.0, but with enough support and backing I would be very willing to put forth the time/resources/effort it would take to create such an application. However, I can understand as a member of multiple sites the reluctance staff on this site might have towards me creating such an application. I can only hope that this may be over looked as I'm here to help gamers and all gamers alike.

jorGe62990
01-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I think it would be better to focus more on making the forums more mobile-compatible. An iPhone app or BlackBerry launcher seem more like luxuries at this point. More and more people are using their phones (not just iphone/bb/smartphone) to access the internet so it would only make sense to have the site more accesible by adjusting and reformating for phones. I think vBulletin has several mods that you could add on (for free?) that make the site "lite" when accessed from mobile phones. Basically it cuts down a lot of unnecessary graphics and coding and only loads the bare minumum (forums, threads, posting, etc.)

Here is an example:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174375&highlight=Mobile

A very cut back style with very low bandwidth usage which renders well on pretty much all small screen devices from old Nokias to new iPhones.

Supports viewing/posting/replying in forums
Supports Private Messaging
Supports Tags (viewing, not adding)
Supports viewing and replying to messages in Social Groups
Supports Thread Prefixes
has an add-on product to customise here: Extend and Customise Mobile Style (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=182692) (It is recommended that you install this also, but not required)

It even says it uses very low bandwith so it wouldn't be so harsh on the servers. I think this would be a great idea for the site.

Rich Shady
01-26-2009, 05:02 AM
I would love to see an app for my iPod touch. It would be such a help

ezekiel 08
01-28-2009, 11:54 PM
I think a mobile version of this website would be enough. Even that would take time and effort. But then again, all mobile internet users can benefit from it, not just iPhone/iTouch users

Medz
01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
The poll closed after a week of voting. The winner is, with a 58% majority, "YES, WE NEED ONE!". Looking through the thread there were little tiffs that this would all be a waste of time. But for a majority of the users (at least who voted), we want x360a to be more efficient is some mobile sense if not at least an App specific form.

Thanks for everyone who voted and thanks for the robust dialogue that came from the users wants and needs! :drunk

The poll may be closed but this thread can keep going. Who else has ideas for App implementation or other sorts of mobile creativity/wants/needs/would likes?

Tron
01-29-2009, 12:26 AM
right now you can add the x360a link to your dashboard or whatever they call the main screen on the iPod and it comes up as the favicon...there was a thread like this at least a year ago, search around its somewhere...

Medz
01-29-2009, 12:34 AM
right now you can add the x360a link to your dashboard or whatever they call the main screen on the iPod and it comes up as the favicon...there was a thread like this at least a year ago, search around its somewhere...

Yea, we already discussed this. This was definitely a nice use of x360a on the iPhone. I started this thread to see of we could conjure some ideas for a x360a related App.

Minty
01-29-2009, 01:02 AM
It may be 58% yes, but thats 18 people out of 160,000.

Only Florida could consider that a majority.

Like has been said, it's a good idea, but at the moment it's not happening.

Medz
01-29-2009, 02:59 AM
It may be 58% yes, but thats 18 people out of 160,000.

Only Florida could consider that a majority.

That's cool and I understand. 18 is a small percentage out of the whole. Maybe run a longer poll and we can find someone with the talent and skill?

(Sorry, us completionist do not like giving up )

Clipse 2
02-01-2009, 04:53 AM

Even if someone outside of staff were to devote their time, efforts, and energy to develop such an application you'd deny them?

(Sorry I'm just posting this now, I've been without electricity for 5 days.)

tommat12
02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
I think this would be a great and a terrible idea at the same time. It would be awesome but I'm unsure about whether people would use it enough.

Make it or not, here are some ideas...

Interactive achievement list: Something like just listing all the achievements, and when you click on one it expands to how the guide entry. Also with the ability to hide completed achieves, but just a click and it updates automaticaly.
Just a list of news would be great, a small section for the x360a news and then access to the other news in another list.
Then the ability to send and receive private messages.
And finally I don't see why you can't link it to the podcast...

Do any of these and I'll be very happy; as for forums I think that might take a bit of work but if that can be done then it would be absolutely amazing! Although as I said, I'm unsure of how many people would use it... hmm, I think we should start a petition of sorts. Who's in?

spank23007
02-05-2009, 03:50 AM
I would DEF want to see an app for the iphone!! There isnt anything on the market that I've found where you can see your cheevs and update them.

Console Monster is the closest and it takes for EVER to load, and doesn't even upload the cheevs you already got... or fav games... yeah its just a waste.

But if you guys could put something together for the iphone it would be sweet as hell... not to mention a rare app in the market for now...

Sorry this is a late post, but I'm relatively new at posting in the forums... hence the rookie status.

Webb
02-05-2009, 03:58 AM
If you've got an iPhone ... why can't you just use the browser? :p

Clipse 2
02-05-2009, 05:27 AM
If you've got an iPhone ... why can't you just use the browser? :p
You could, but it would take more time to navigate to what you want to find. A dedicated app with select key features could bring the content right to the hands of the user faster as long as its included in said application. I've got some ideas of my own on paper of how it would work, how it would look. Actually I photoshopped a mock up of what an application might look like shown below. Its rough and not necessarily what it would turn out but gives you an idea of what it could look like.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/prmaples/iPhoneMockUp-1.png

I'm interested in developing it and plan to whether staff wants me to or not. It would be learning experience for me to just learn the process of developing the application and learning this new (to me) programming language. I would not, however, release an application to the iTunes app store without the blessing from Routine and staff.

LoneStarr
02-05-2009, 05:29 AM
That would be cool, but the thing is I have Ipod touch and no wireless.

Purge
02-08-2009, 03:59 AM
I dont really see the point in making an x360a application for the iPhone and iTouch. If you want to log onto the site then you can simply use the Safari Browser or better yet, bookmark the page and turn it into a bookmark application. If you want a snazzy application that has xbox 360 achievements though, theres already one out there on the general market. It has all the latest games and achievements and updates regulary but the only problem with it is that it costs 0.59.

iZ Revived iZ
02-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Ur all so rude the staff already put hours of dedicated time & effort into running what they have but no you cant be happy you just keep asking for more things never appreciating what you have. Why dont you go and make one if you want it SOO much. (Not just u Medz)

GreaseMonkeyGB
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
i think that would be great! so i can look at site quickly while playing my 360

Jappe XBA
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
i think that would be great! so i can look at site quickly while playing my 360

If you have a PC, then just move it to the same room you have your Xbox. Or better, a laptop. That's what I do.

cod WaW ftw
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
great idea i hope it comes thru

Medz
02-12-2009, 01:36 AM
If you have a PC, then just move it to the same room you have your Xbox. Or better, a laptop. That's what I do.

Good idea... but I was looking for something more outside of the box. Expand the innovation of the site and hit up some new mediums to attract other crowds. Also, App functionality can take out some jargon not needed so we can get to a guide quicker.

Medz
02-12-2009, 01:38 AM
You could, but it would take more time to navigate to what you want to find. A dedicated app with select key features could bring the content right to the hands of the user faster as long as its included in said application. I've got some ideas of my own on paper of how it would work, how it would look. Actually I photoshopped a mock up of what an application might look like shown below. Its rough and not necessarily what it would turn out but gives you an idea of what it could look like.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/prmaples/iPhoneMockUp-1.png

I'm interested in developing it and plan to whether staff wants me to or not. It would be learning experience for me to just learn the process of developing the application and learning this new (to me) programming language. I would not, however, release an application to the iTunes app store without the blessing from Routine and staff.

:bow: Awesome idea. :bow:

Routine/staff - Are you at least interested to seeing what he can produce with the site's awesome information? Come on... just a little?

A 2rue boofer
02-12-2009, 03:27 AM
man i have an iphone and having a x360a app would be awesome or having x360a mobile for the web page

Medz
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Speaking of iPhone Apps... Check out this article from Kotaku where this guy made over have a million on his App. This could be bank for x360a... Tons of improvements could be initiated as well as more members. So many possibilities...

http://kotaku.com/5154107/want-to-qu...ul-iphone-game (http://kotaku.com/5154107/want-to-quit-your-day-job-develop-a-successful-iphone-game)

Amazing...

Minty
02-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Dude, your like a friggin broken record.

Medz
02-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Just trying to help spread the word ;)

Barker76
02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
wouldnt really use it id just wait til i got home.