PDA

View Full Version : Idea

Eternal
01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Hello everyone!

I just thought up an idea where if you mouse-over the gamertag in your profile (left of the post) it comes up with a popup of your avatar and some other information. Little picture I cooked up for what it could look like:

Normal:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z96/GMTaldeer/nopop.png

On Mouse-Over:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z96/GMTaldeer/pop.png

This would be an easy (I would think) change using with a couple of codes in the topic render view portion of the skin. Nothing big, just a nifty little feature ;)

What do you guys think?

SynysterMonkey
01-19-2009, 01:32 AM
That seems like a good idea! Hopefully the we can get it utilized...

Evil Demon55
01-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the pictures, I was so confused till I saw your pictures.... I like that idea.

Though it would be a ton of work/coding I think. Hopefully they can do it.

Var 18
01-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Seems nice, and if the RoutineX would be willing to code it would be a good feature.

antnie
01-19-2009, 01:40 AM
That would be an exelent feature to make the new NXE have an impact on our site. P.S. Thanks for putting the picture in, I also was sort of confused before I saw it.

Lancer Evolution
01-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Cool idea, I really like that. Help this gets implemented.

Minty
01-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Gonna use a hell of a lot of bandwidth for something that a lot of people have on display on the forums already.

Eternal
01-19-2009, 02:27 AM
I don't see how that would eat up a lot of bandwidth... Maybe I'm missing something :p

Krueger
01-19-2009, 02:33 AM
I don't see how that would eat up a lot of bandwidth... Maybe I'm missing something :p
The gamercards already take up a huge chunk of it if you remember the site did not have gamercards for a long time. So just saying if the "addition" takes up half of the bandwidth gamercards do it would still be a lot.

Evil Demon55
01-19-2009, 04:51 AM
What's bandwidth???? Until I know, still like this idea :p

jukkakhan
01-19-2009, 06:05 AM
What's bandwidth???? Until I know, still like this idea :p

Simply put, bandwidth is a measure of data transfer. Everytime something is accessed from the website (say the avatar), the website has to send that data to your computer. It's not free either, the website host allows a certain amount of bandwidth to be used a month, and overages cost more.

I think it's a pretty cool idea, but a lot of people already have them displayed from their MGC image. Plus there's people (like me) who don't like using their avatars.

Jappe XBA
01-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Evil Demon55: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_(computing)

In the topic: I like the idea too, and it's not hard to make but the bandwidth is the problm still...

antnie
01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
How much more would it cost to get the bandwidth upgraded?

Evil Demon55
01-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh it refers to space... I thought it was some slang for banwitch which meant banning sandwitch which meant tons of bans.... wow was I off!

Lancer Evolution
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Oh it refers to space... I thought it was some slang for banwitch which meant banning sandwitch which meant tons of bans.... wow was I off!

LOL, I've never heard/seen Bandwidth explained or interpret that way. That was a first.

Minty
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
How much more would it cost to get the bandwidth upgraded?

Well it could potentially need a new server, so could be around $500 a month possibly.

Plus theres more features we want to add before this that will hit the bandwidth again. Got to remember, we get a hell of a lot of traffic to the site.

The Pants Party
01-19-2009, 03:08 PM
It looks cool and all, but what's the point? Got to remember: function over flash.

Maybe we could implement the avatars into the actual profile page someday, then you can just click someone's username to go to their profile. That would just be when we don't have anything better to add though. :p

Mantra
01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Can't you just fetch the images from XBOX Live?
Using this link: http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/<Gamertag>t/avatar-body.png

So, you could defeat the bandwidth cap.

Evil Demon55
01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Well it could potentially need a new server, so could be around $500 a month possibly.

Plus theres more features we want to add before this that will hit the bandwidth again. Got to remember, we get a hell of a lot of traffic to the site.

Don't the donators, subscribers, and ads make enough?

Keano
01-19-2009, 10:29 PM

I doubt it's a question of making enough money. It's more about making the most of the money they get and so it would be put into features that will most contribute to the site. To me, this feature seems unnescessary.

Minty
01-19-2009, 10:31 PM

No

Can't you just fetch the images from XBOX Live?
Using this link: http://avatar.xboxlive.com/avatar/<Gamertag>t/avatar-body.png

So, you could defeat the bandwidth cap.

Then MS get slightly pissed at us going through mass amounts of there bandwidth and stop us being able to access it :p

Blake
01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
So let me get this straight, why would i want to show my avatar to everyone on this site? if someone really wants to see it click on my gamertag and see it on xbox.com. Also waste of sites space. It looks cool and all, but there really isn't much point in it.

DrizztDourden43
01-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Yea, it is a cool idea...but really is a waste of time when you could just see it on xbox.com anyhow. I'm sure subscribers and such would want the money they give to go to something more important anyhow.

tatova2130
01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
it's probably good to keep that idea in mind for the future, y'know? just in case