PDA

View Full Version : Show which post the person is replying to in linear mode.

Zenquen
01-22-2009, 02:37 AM
I searched for a topic like this for reals so I'm sorry if whoever is in charge of combing through the entire feedback forum and bursting into every duplicate topic and shouting "there is already a thread like this" has to do it, but here we go.

In linear thread mode I can't seem to find a way to tell just who someone is replying too. Sure usually you are expected to Quote someone, but lets face it that does not always happen. It is also a pain to have to switch display modes to figure it out. It would be nice if on each post there was a little arrow or button or piece of text that would take you to the post the person had been replying to.

Minty
01-22-2009, 02:40 AM
The only way it will show you which post someone is replying to is if they mark it. There will be no difference in the amount of people who press the quote button and the number of people that will press any new button.

Zenquen
01-22-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't mean something new you have to press, before posting, just something on each message in linear mode, kind of like when you push the #2 on a message it takes you to the direct link of that specific post, have something like #2 in reply to #1 or something. Just to spare people from having to switch to threaded mode, most forums are set up that way already.

The Pants Party
01-22-2009, 04:29 AM
I don't mean something new you have to press, before posting, just something on each message in linear mode, kind of like when you push the #2 on a message it takes you to the direct link of that specific post, have something like #2 in reply to #1 or something. Just to spare people from having to switch to threaded mode, most forums are set up that way already.

Click the little black arrow next to your name. (Or whoever's name happens to be part of the quoted message in whatever thread you're looking at.)

Zenquen
01-22-2009, 04:42 AM
Then what do you do when someone forgets to quote?

Evil Demon55
01-22-2009, 06:34 AM
But how would the thread know which topic that person is replying to? If someone isn't going to hit quote, they most likely arn't going to hit this new button.

Also, is linear new posts on top, like Social Groups?

The Pants Party
01-22-2009, 06:34 AM
You either assume they're speaking to the person directly above them, or you try and figure it out. I'm not sure what exactly you want us to do about people's laziness in quoting...

Zenquen
01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Okay here I will try again, but this time with visual aides!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zenquen/x360a/visualaid1.jpg

See when you view the forums in threaded mode, or hybrid mode you get this nifty little box that shows the line or chain that people have posted in. When you view it in linear mode (the mode which I suspect 99% of the people here view forums in, you don't see it)

When people reply to all the posts in the sequence they post in, everything is quite simple, easy to follow, but as threads get larger and more people post or people start replying to old posts in the thread... the chain gets more complex.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zenquen/x360a/visualaid3.jpg

See that, things are getting kind of tricky now, but still it lets you know just who is posting to what and to where, when and all that nifty business. But to make matters worse depending on how big the thread gets or the forum or other factors, especially topics with over 1000 replies the site has a big hissy fit and you get this.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zenquen/x360a/visualaid4.jpg

or sometimes it just wont load...

Now what I am proposing is something more along the lines of this for those in "linear mode...." if you want to see all this yourself by the way scroll up and look at where you can rate the thread, to the right of that should be display modes, click that and have fun playing around with something you probably never used.

So yeah here is my proposal.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/zenquen/x360a/visualaidpart2.jpg

See in the top left of this last visual aide, how I added the little RE: Zenquen or whatever, by clicking that it would take you to the post demon had replied to as well, so if there was no quoting going on, you would still get a sense of who was being replied to. Or that little blue box, make it so if people clicked that you would be taken up to the next point in the chain. Now I am not saying make it work/look exactly like how I have displayed here. I am not saying make a new button that people have to click in order to make a post, what I meant was a button/link added to all posts which would simply bring you up to the next post in the threads chain.

The Pants Party
01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
First of all, that isn't even a feature of vBulletin so we would have to custom mod it.

Second, and again I stress this, you're asking us to take time out of our normal day-to-day things and other features we are trying to finish to accommodate people's laziness in quoting, or your confusion in how to read a thread. Ain't gonna happen.

Zenquen
01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
First of all, that isn't even a feature of vBulletin so we would have to custom mod it.

Second, and again I stress this, you're asking us to take time out of our normal day-to-day things and other features we are trying to finish to accommodate people's laziness in quoting, or your confusion in how to read a thread. Ain't gonna happen.

I am simply trying to offer suggestions to make the site better or more accessible for everyone, yet you are acting like i just did an irish jig all over your pretty little sand castle. You should not take such an antagonist tone with people trying to offer feedback.

Skepsis93
01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
I am simply trying to offer suggestions to make the site better or more accessible for everyone, yet you are acting like i just did an irish jig all over your pretty little sand castle. You should not take such an antagonist tone with people trying to offer feedback.

I'm going to have to agree with you there Zenquen, I think this could work but only if the mods are willing to put in that little extra work to make the site better.

Minty
01-22-2009, 05:06 PM
First of all, the only way this is possible is if the person clicks Quick Reply on a specific post rather than Post Reply. If they are clicking this link, its all but next to the Quote button.

What you're basically asking us to do is customise vBulletin because some of our users are lazy. Why not fix the problem rather than just cover it up? And we aren't responsible for the laziness of our members lol

The Pants Party
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Well you didn't understand the first two times we subtly rejected your suggestion and just kept on pressing it, so I took a more direct approach.

I'm going to have to agree with you there Zenquen, I think this could work but only if the mods are willing to put in that little extra work to make the site better.

Little? Have you ever written a custom mod for vBulletin? I haven't, but I can be it is not something that would be done overnight. For such a paltry "addition" to the site, it is not worth the time or effort just so we can atone for our members not quoting all the time. Or to appease the few people who can't take a few extra seconds to figure out which post said non-quoter was directing their statement at.

We appreciate suggestions, and I'll admit we're quick to reject most of them, but that is only because we can tell rather quickly what would be worth our time to actually make the site better/easier to use, or if the suggestion is just something a small handful of users might find beneficial. The things we are going to implement need to hit a broad stroke of our 35k members. This particular thing would not fit that category.

Just to note: the last three things we implemented were checklists, social groups and road maps. Those are the types of things we are looking for. Not, "hey this would save me five seconds!"

Zenquen
01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Well you didn't understand the first two times we subtly rejected your suggestion and just kept on pressing it, so I took a more direct approach.

That is the kind of approach that keeps me from fully supporting this site, when someone in charge acts like an ass, it looks bad on everything else.

Minty
01-22-2009, 11:41 PM
There's only so many times you can say no nicely without people taking the hint before you have to say no and lock the thread.