PDA

View Full Version : Expand on the Garage Sale?

Bluntman428
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I was just thinking that with the high turnover-rate gamerscore whores have with their games, it might be a good idea to open up another forum where people can post what games they're looking to buy.

Maybe make the posting rules a little stricter for that section to keep it legit? Like limit transactions to people with 500+ posts or something along those lines.

I've seen other gaming sites with similar setups. Just think it'd be cool to see here considering we all play a whole lot of games trying to get achievements.

The Pants Party
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Why can't they just search ebay? The point of the garage sale is to try and help members advertise their auctions so they can get more money and possibly sell to a community member.

Bluntman428
01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Right, and if someone posts they're looking for certain games, that gives anyone who has those games the opportunity to get rid of them. Which could also potentially get the buyer a better deal if he has multiple offers to pick from.

If I were to for example say I was looking for Fallout 3, Fable 2, Gears 2, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey, there would be a ton of people who have those games. That could also give me the chance to potentially kill 2 or 3 birds with one stone if one person had a few of those games they were trying to get rid of.

Plus some folks just don't like Ebay, myself included. I just don't like dealing with random strangers over the internet when money is in the picture. I used to buy used games from another site I used to frequent from members there, and I found the deals and the entire experience in general to be a lot better than what you'll get dealing with some random people on Ebay.

Just sayin, it might be worth putting some thought into.

The Pants Party
01-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Even if we did add such a thing, we would still require people to use ebay. We tried it the way you're suggesting before and someone got burned and expected the site to be responsible. That's not something we're interested in dealing with. With ebay, it's in their hands and not ours.

Bluntman428
01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Ah, I didn't know that was why it got restricted to Ebay only.

Still, it seems like shutting down a whole site feature because one person got burnt is...overreacting a little? Over at another site I used to visit some kid tried to burn several us who bought a bunch of games off him. Long story short, his address got posted along with his contact info, and after several unexpected pizzas arrived at his house and a few calls to his parents, we all ended up getting what we paid for. People just don't realize that the internet isn't as anonymous as you'd think, and internet justice can be a beautiful thing. :p

I mean if the powers that be don't want to deal with it, that's understandable. But legally even if it were to happen again and someone threatened the site, there's nothing that they could do. If there's a disclaimer posted that all transactions are done at the buyer/seller's risk, the site has no legal obligation.

And really, if activity there is limited to people with 500+ posts, the chances of anyone getting burnt are slim. Anyone who's invested that much time into the community over here isn't likely to want to throw it away over a small bit of money.

In reality, you have a risk of getting burnt any time you buy or sell something from people on the internet. Same goes with Ebay or any other trading site. It just comes with the territory.

I just think that given the nature of x360a and the people who frequent the boards here, letting people trade their games away to other people on the site after they've gotten all their gamerscore from a game just seems like it would add something significant to the community. One thing we all have in common is we have a lot of games, and they've gotta go somewhere when we're done with them. God knows Gamestop isn't a good choice, and Ebay can be a royal pain in the ass.

Minty
01-22-2009, 02:30 PM
As Pants has been said, we use eBay only to make it a safer transcaction for both buyer and seller, and also because we don't want the site to be involved in any way when things go wrong.

We have a trading section available to Subscribers who meet certain criteria in the private board.

Plus it's a lot easier on those smaller sites which have very few active members- we have about 35k active members currently.

alexsimms
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Can't what Bluntman428 is suggesting be accomplished without leaving the transactional process to x360a? The actual payment can all still be done through eBay (Buy It Now option), while the discussion, or "wanted" posts can still take place on this site. This alleviates the issue of the site being the middle man when money is involved.

jackanape
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
It's a decent idea but what is the difference between dealing with a random stranger on ebay or a random stranger on this forum?

At least on ebay you are protected to some extent, but on here I don't know a lot of members personally so what is to stop them from ripping me off 500+ posts or not?