PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a section for all Nintendo consoles but only 1 for Sega?

Ultrapro
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Forgive me if I am offending any Nintendo fans but there are millions of people out there who are fans of Sega and just don't have a care in the world for Nintendo because we grew up either being fans of one or the other, we didn't have the money to own both!! I'm not actually a Nintendo hater although it may appear that way, I have a Gamecube and the N64 emulator for my pc, Its just thats how we grew up. I actually am a SONY hater, purely because of what happened to the Dreamcast and Saturn etc.

Anyway so my question is, wheres the love for all the other Sega Consoles aside from Genesis? I personally grew up slightly underprivileagued when it comes to consoles. when the Mega Drive (its PROPER NAME!! lol) came out in the UK I was still on the Master System, when the Saturn came out I got a Mega Drive, when the PS1 came out I got the Saturn. So everytime I found myself behind! No one was interested in my one because they already had the new one.

Then of course the legendary Dreamcast came out and I finally had a console from release! Obviously things went wrong with the ol DC and it became out of date, so I moved onto Xbox and never looked back.

Anyone looking to discuss their Retro console collections post them here!! I Have shed loads of games and consoles, a ridiculous amount. Here is a list of consoles and rough number of games:

Sega:
Master System (40)
Mega Drive (50)
Game Gear (20)
Mega CD (10)
32X (1)
Saturn (45)
Dreamcast (225)

Microsoft:
Xbox (60)
360 (40)

Sony:
PS1 (20)
PS2 (25)

Nintendo:
Gamecube (10)

Atari:
Lynx (10)
Jaguar (20)

Your thoughts on retro gaming? Sega/Nintendo? Sega/Sony? I am interested to hear all opinions.

Pro

PC (25)

[Waggly Bean]
01-25-2009, 11:10 PM
To answer your first question, I assume there are sections for every Nintendo console, because Nintendo is still very much an active company in terms of console production, whereas Sega obviously stopped on that front. Unfortunately...

I myself LOVE Sega and the Mega Drive. I personally own a Mega Drive 1, Mega Drive 2, Mega CD1, Multi-Mega (CDX in America), and the 32X, so am very much a fan of that era! ;)
I also own the Master System 1 and 2, and the Game Gear too. (And the Saturn). I do not own a Nomad however - that piece of crap is worth nobodies time or money!
Talking Sega-Love, you can even see the sexy Mega Drive 2 in my sig below, but that's besides the point! :p

I've got loads of other consoles too, but I'm just leaving it at the Sega ones for now as listing them would take a while and I need to go to bed!! :D

Ultrapro
01-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I guess that much is true, but still, I'd say 85% of the gaming industry audience didn't even know there were consoles before the PS2. Just annoys me that amazing games came out way before this generation and yet they get no respect. Example: I saw Samba De amiga on the shelf for the Wii. My mrs has just bought one, she knows full well how crazy I am about retro consoles and my dreamcast in particular, hell, I've even shown her Samba De Amigo before, but would she play it? NOOOO!! now though, she'll stand there and play the wii and look like a retard and even went to look at Samba on the Wii and wanted to show ME it, I just looked at her and walked off. F***ing cheek!

I have owned both versions of the Master System and Mega Drive but currently only own 1 of each, and I never bothered with all the crazy multi console things, wish I could get one but they are just too expensive!

Anyway, RANT over, I just get a little irritable about the whole Sega untimely demise thing, gets me riled up is all lol.

I do have some pretty rare stuff, such as all the latest imported releases for Dreamcast including Under Defeat, Karous, Last Hope and a few others. Theres one coming out this month BTW. And I have Panzer Dragoon Saga and Alien Vs Predator on Jaguar, said to be V rare, god I need to stop buying cack!!

Pro

[Waggly Bean]
01-26-2009, 03:06 PM
You didn't mention Mega CD... tell me you have some love for the Mega CD? ;)

Ultrapro
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I think you'll find I did my friend, I listed it in my breakdown of consoles and games under the master system and mega drive. I have about 10 games for it, including Sonic CD, Road Avenger, Earth Worm Jim Special Edition (my personal fave!!) Eternal Champions, Supreme Warrior, Some wierd football game, a helicopter one with the video rolling and the commands to direct the chopper, and one really bizarre one, kinda like an alien invasion one in a massive case, think its called Ground Zero Texas. I love my Mega CD, great fun on ol road avenger lol oh and the legendary SOL FEACE! how cool is the music from that game?

Pro

albajos
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
At least the VirtualBoy doesn't have a section.

To me the most imortant machines when growing up was Commodore 64 and Commodore Amiga 500, but they don't even have any category.

At least I know that I want to write about anything without a folder, all can be put in the top level of Old School. And after enough thread they may be worthy their own folder?

Ultrapro
01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
true say. I do forget that there are consoles even older than I remember! although in my defense my family had commodores, amigas, spectrums and ataris so we did the whole Uber retro thing! I just can't remember half of em lol. I did have an old speccy in my room, was a lovely little thing, except I could never get it to work very well lol.

Pro

[Waggly Bean]
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Oops my mistake! Yeah, you did list it too... :)
I love the Mega CD - I wanted to make it my mission to collect every single PAL Mega CD there was - can't remember how many I got to in the end but I believe it was a sizeable chunk of them. If my memory serves me correctly, I think there were around 110 European Mega CD releases.
The games you listed are all awesome (except Supreme Warrior) - Cobra Command is the helicoptor one I think you're talking about. I always MUCH preferred Road Avenger to Cobra Command - it just had more style. Ground Zero Texas is one of my favourites too - that game is amazing. I love the way the general guy in the intro gives you a mega drive pad as the 'heart' of your command centre! How he keeps a straight face while acting that is beyond me... ;)

Snatcher, Yumemi Mystery Mansion and Shining Force CD are also fantastic games. I don't understand how the Mega CD was so hated on!

I also started out on the Spectrum, with Dizzy Egg and Seymour Slug, CJ's Elephant Antics, Chaos, Feud. I still have my Spectrum too with hundreds of games - what happened to the days of games costing 3.99 standard price! :)
I haven't had that out in a long time though - waiting for 19 minutes for a game to load, only for it to crash 5 minutes later is not my kind of fun! I'll stick to emulators for my dose of Chaos... :)
Talking of Chaos, that would be my dream XBLA release - with online capabilities it would be excellent!!

Ultrapro
01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Are you referring to Chaos as in asteroids? Because I used to play Chaos on the Acorns!!

Hey hey!! Supreme Warrior is amazing too! Me and my brother became pros at that damn game. To be honest I just loved the cheesey movies etc. I also really enjoyed Surgical strike, never got to far into Ground Zero, I really must live out my dream of having all my 8bit-32-bit consoles hooked up to one tv, my 128bit and upward on another, and then my odds and ends hooked up to another, god I want to buy my own place with a cellar or attic lol. I'd never leave the house!!!

Have to give Earthworm Jim a dust off one day, what an excellent game.

Pro

[Waggly Bean]
01-27-2009, 07:39 PM
No Chaos as in 'Chaos - The Wizard Wars' or something like that. It's a really good game, although I'd imagine it'd take a bit of getting used to these days...

I don't know Chaos on the Acorn I don't think - I had an Asteroids type game that was amazing on the Acorn called Ubiquitus or something like that.

I also plan to have a games room when I move into a place big enough. Our current place is nowhere near big enough to have them all set up....
Luckily my gf is totally happy with us having a games room one day!! :D

I remember Surgical Strike, but can't remember if I ever got a copy in the end. I know it was one that became quite rare... along with Marko's Magic Football! :p

Ultrapro
02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Well the Acorn Emulator I have is quite nice, I downloaded images for a dozen or so games, or rather the dos files etc. I have my fave one back now, which is Moonquake, awesome little game I used to play to death when at secondary school lol. And then there was Chaos, Lander and The Tank wire frame game, but the Lander runs to fast now, You just cant control the craft any more lol.

Pro

Skully Kaishe
03-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Gosh the Game Gear was like the greatest hand held system for me back in the day. Lol... that thing was so bulky but hey it kept me entertained. =P... I'm always gonna keep that thing forever and ever! WHOO!!!

Volzagia
03-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I was born in the SNES era and grew up with the N64 not the Dreamcast but I did play one at a friends house the game being sonic adventure :).
I was so glad they remade that for gamecube

Death Metal Jim
04-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Oh man, to remember the old days when Sega vs Nintendo was in full force. I was a HUGE Sega supporter from the moment i was given a Genesis back in 1991 (still my favorite all time system). I completely ditched Nintendo for a good 10 years while i bought/received all Sega's major consoles, Genesis/Game Gear/Saturn/Dreamcast. It was a sad day for me when Sega announced that they were abandoning the Dreamcast and wouldn't develop anymore hardware. I still to this day hope they'll make a return to the console wars (here's to hoping Playstation completely falls apart). The company was always way ahead of it's time, with the Sega CD, the add ons and having the first good online gaming console (Dreamcast). I'm an X-box supporter since like 2003 but if Sega came back into the picture i'd definitely shift my allegiance in a heartbeat.

Ultrapro
04-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Hey I'm with you on that one mate, I have to have more Sega games!! I need another Panzer Dragoon RPG, Jet Set Radio game, Shenmue Sequel, Sonic Adventure sequel (the ONLY 3d Sonic games that were ACTUALLY any good!) another Skies type RPG and more Phantasy Star Online, that would be the shiznit!! I'm a mahoosive xbox fan and would definitely get whatever sega machine they built, but my allegiances have never left the Sega camp... I still have all my consoles and all my games, I can't get rid of them, the last time I did I ended up really regretting it and buying them all back lol

Pro

[Waggly Bean]
04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey I'm with you on that one mate, I have to have more Sega games!! I need another Panzer Dragoon RPG, Jet Set Radio game, Shenmue Sequel, Sonic Adventure sequel (the ONLY 3d Sonic games that were ACTUALLY any good!) another Skies type RPG and more Phantasy Star Online, that would be the shiznit!! I'm a mahoosive xbox fan and would definitely get whatever sega machine they built, but my allegiances have never left the Sega camp... I still have all my consoles and all my games, I can't get rid of them, the last time I did I ended up really regretting it and buying them all back lol

Pro

At least Sonic Adventure is heading to XBLA - it's been a while since I played either of them so should of forgotten enough for it to be well worth playing. Plus, it's Sonic Adventure with achievements (and avatar awards)! :D

Death Metal Jim
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Pro

What we really need is a new Streets Of Rage. Just an awesome 3d game with lots of free roaming through the city ala Grand Theft Auto. Of course they'd have to bring back Yuzo Koshiro to do the soundtrack.

I heard these faint rumors a while back about Sega maybe making a new console called "RingEdge" but haven't heard anything new about that since like last year. Oh well, here's hoping they one day decide to hop back into the console market :drunk

Ultrapro
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I think your referring to this mate:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/sega-continues-arcade-legacy-with-ring-edge-powered-border-break/

I would be interested to see that Border Break game on a console, but doubt they would bother converting another arcade board to a console (like the Katana or whatever the board was they used in the DC, Naomi or something) Still, its a nice thought

Pro

Death Metal Jim
04-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I think your referring to this mate:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/sega-continues-arcade-legacy-with-ring-edge-powered-border-break/

I would be interested to see that Border Break game on a console, but doubt they would bother converting another arcade board to a console (like the Katana or whatever the board was they used in the DC, Naomi or something) Still, its a nice thought

Pro

Nah, the rumors i heard were they were gonna have the "RingEdge" as a console, and a "RingWide" as some kinda interactive arcade thing, i don't remember the details as it was about a year back. nontheless, we still never heard any announcement so i'm still in a 9 year Segaless console depression :(

bribonus
04-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I own every sega system,and i'm proud to say everyone of them works today: all of them were ahead of their time (specially Sega CD/Mega CD and Dreamcast), not understanded by a lot of gamers and the company finally payed the ultimate price: bankrupt and a humillating status of third-party developers (at least humillating for such a great company). Seems that Nintendo always had the favour of most gamers.

Don't misunderstand me. The big N developed great systems; i still have my NES, SNES and original gameboy in mint condition, and i still play them (yes, i'm a die-hard collector). But Sega will always have my love and my gratitude for blow my mind over 9000 times with their games, from Altered Beast to Shenmue. Genesis/Mega Drive was my first console back in 1991 and i'll never forget that.

PS: BRB, gonna blast again my copy of Shinobi 3 on my Game Gear:Bounce:

james82
04-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Anyone looking to discuss their Retro console collections post them here!! I Have shed loads of games and consoles, a ridiculous amount. Here is a list of consoles and rough number of games:

Sega:
Master System (40)
Mega Drive (50)
Game Gear (20)
Mega CD (10)
32X (1)
Saturn (45)
Dreamcast (225)

Microsoft:
Xbox (60)
360 (40)

Sony:
PS1 (20)
PS2 (25)

Nintendo:
Gamecube (10)

Atari:
Lynx (10)
Jaguar (20)

Your thoughts on retro gaming? Sega/Nintendo? Sega/Sony? I am interested to hear all opinions.

Pro

PC (25)

good post,i loved retro games and am always buying them over xbox 360 games now days
my collection though is rather small (around 450 including 360 though)
Atari - 67 games (this includes a 32 in 1 game)
Sega Master system -14 games
Sega Mega Drive - 24 games
Sega/mega cd - 3 games
Nes - 19 games
Snes - 26 games (no rock n roll racing or super r type though :()
N64 - 26 games
Game Cube - 6 i think (only bought it a month ago)
Gameboy -10 games
ds -5 games
pc - 15 (most are games like starcraft and warcraft 1)
xbox - 37 games
xbox 360 - 86 games
ps1- 25 games
ps2- 45 games
wii - 13 games

Joeplay201
04-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Gosh the Game Gear was like the greatest hand held system for me back in the day. Lol... that thing was so bulky but hey it kept me entertained. =P... I'm always gonna keep that thing forever and ever! WHOO!!!
Yeah, it was fun. I remember it was cool because I played a different version of Sonic 2 on the Game Gear. The thing literally ate up batteries though. It used literally six AA batteries. On top of that it didn't come with a charger.

hydrosugar
04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
well the 64 is the best console of all time and it barely gets any attention on this site, im not sure how many people would be active in forums for an individual sega console. not hating on it, space channel 5 is epicly awesome:woop:

Masfima
04-20-2011, 09:37 AM
YouTube - Genesis does what Nintendon't!

Genesis Does! What Nintendon't!

Archfoot
05-27-2011, 09:25 PM
I would love to see the Sega saturn in the list

Sickboy254698
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Because Nintendo fanboys think the Genesis sucks cause its hardware wasnt as good. They also loved how lame Mortal Kombat was with no blood.

flyestsquire
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, it was fun. I remember it was cool because I played a different version of Sonic 2 on the Game Gear. The thing literally ate up batteries though. It used literally six AA batteries. On top of that it didn't come with a charger.

I loved my game gear, got it for my 7th birthday! sonic was wicked and Mortal Kombat OMG need i say anymore!

PMS Green1Chaos
01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I was born in the SNES era and grew up with the N64 not the Dreamcast but I did play one at a friends house the game being sonic adventure :).
I was so glad they remade that for gamecube

Volzagia, you and me are a like...I too came from a family of nintendo players...My mom used to own the big gameboy, that was the foundation of my gaming...We had a playstation 2,gameboy color,game cube,gameboy advance,and N64. Dreamcast was one of those systems that you would hear about from your friends and would play the system at their house...One of the kids that lived in my neighborhood had dreamcast and "Monster Rancher."

ChickinOnaChain
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
The Genesis was my favorite but I also had the 8 and 16 bit and the Saturn, which I still have. I wish it was the Genesis.