PDA

View Full Version : What's so good about this game?

Foxhound300
01-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I played the demo. Thought it was very pretty and slow mo makes it fun enough.

But the main reason to play FPSes is the multiplayer option. And from what I've seen about FEAR1's multiplayer, it's just a generic affair.

The two best things about FEAR are the visual effects (the ghosts and w/e) and the bullet time, neither of which are very prominent in the multiplayer. Strip those away and you might as well be playing goldeneye. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but still.

Basically, what's so great about FEAR's multiplayer when everything good about the game itself is stripped away?

KemicalSupreme
01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I played the demo. Thought it was very pretty and slow mo makes it fun enough.

But the main reason to play FPSes is the multiplayer option. And from what I've seen about FEAR1's multiplayer, it's just a generic affair.

The two best things about FEAR are the visual effects (the ghosts and w/e) and the bullet time, neither of which are very prominent in the multiplayer. Strip those away and you might as well be playing goldeneye. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but still.

Basically, what's so great about FEAR's multiplayer when everything good about the game itself is stripped away?

No offense, but in 2005, that was the best FPS we have ever seen to date until COD 4. So cut the multiplayer some slack. Something about this game will keep me coming back. Very different unique game compared to other FPS. I think the single player story is why I come back.

Shame on people who thought Dead Space was scarier than FEAR. Fear is by far scarier than any other game I have played.

Deathblow23
01-28-2009, 08:28 PM
No offense, but in 2005, that was the best FPS we have ever seen to date until COD 4. So cut the multiplayer some slack. Something about this game will keep me coming back. Very different unique game compared to other FPS. I think the single player story is why I come back.

Shame on people who thought Dead Space was scarier than FEAR. Fear is by far scarier than any other game I have played.

You are dead on about the timeline. It actually ONLY came out on the PC is early 2005. It wasn't ported to consoles until November of the next year...and to top it off,...it came out within 2 weeks or Gears1 and COD 3. That's a bad position to be in at that time because those were some highly sought after titles.

Anyway, the game's mechanics are fantastic and truly fit into the concept and story...probably more so than almost all other FPS's. The only other shooters that I would say really hold it all together are COD(Infinity Ward's versions)...and R6:Vegas 1 & 2, and of course the Halo series.

For those that need to know the truth...the slow-mo is actually not a gimmick. It is the product of the main character's incredible reflexes. It is actually stated in some dialogue in the first game. This is the reason there was no hesitation in sending your character into combat alone when the first game started. I think anyone that has any doubts about playing the sequel should play the demo and look at how polished it is. You will be pleased. And by the way Kemical...FEAR may be scarier...but my God Dead Space is an absolutely astonishingly good game. I simply can't believe it hasn't done better than it has. IT is sooooo good on so many levels. Anyway...FEAR 2 will smash heads and melt faces once it drops...I just hope people take notice. It really shouldn't be a sleeper hit because the first game was great...it just hasn't aged quite as well.

KemicalSupreme
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
You are dead on about the timeline. It actually ONLY came out on the PC is early 2005. It wasn't ported to consoles until November of the next year...and to top it off,...it came out within 2 weeks or Gears1 and COD 3. That's a bad position to be in at that time because those were some highly sought after titles.

Anyway, the game's mechanics are fantastic and truly fit into the concept and story...probably more so than almost all other FPS's. The only other shooters that I would say really hold it all together are COD(Infinity Ward's versions)...and R6:Vegas 1 & 2.

For those that need to know the truth...the slow-mo is actually not a gimmick. It is the product of the main character's incredible reflexes. It is actually stated in some dialogue in the first game. This is the reason there was no hesitation in sending your character into combat alone when the first game started. I think anyone that has any doubts about playing the sequel should play the demo and look at how polished it is. You will be pleased. And by the way Kemical...FEAR may be scarier...but my God Dead Space is an absolutely astonishingly good game. I simply can't believe it hasn't done better than it has. IT is sooooo good on so many levels. Anyway...FEAR 2 will smash heads and melt faces once it drops...I just hope people take notice. It really shouldn't be a sleeper hit because the first game was great...it just hasn't aged quite as well.

Dont get me wrong. Deadspace was a good interesting game. I liked the concept and everything about it. People told me on this very site that is beats the hell out of Fear. Not the case at all. I wont play the Fear2 demo because it will make me lose sleep. I will wait for release date.

Cheers

Maybe we can catch a few games together.

Foxhound300
01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
truly fit into the concept and story

but that's not the question. the "concept" and "story" are thrown to the wayside in multiplayer.

Deathblow23
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
but that's not the question. the "concept" and "story" are thrown to the wayside in multiplayer.

After 6 months of being released on 360...multiplayer was an afterthought. Most people now are not playing FEAR for the multiplayer anymore. There is an extremely small community left on this one. Of course you can get a game online...but it's almost always a boosting match. The concept of a soldier with incredible reflexes that are such that time slows down...and a story about the paranormal, etc are a major focus and the gameplay mechanics fit perfectly. This is what I meant, and its true.

Honestly...these things ring true in multiplayer as well because all of the maps are basically clipped from the campaign...and there are "slow-mo" versions of a couple of the gametypes as well.

KemicalSupreme
01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
After 6 months of being released on 360...multiplayer was an afterthought. Most people now are not playing FEAR for the multiplayer anymore. There is an extremely small community left on this one. Of course you can get a game online...but it's almost always a boosting match. The concept of a soldier with incredible reflexes that are such that time slows down...and a story about the paranormal, etc are a major focus and the gameplay mechanics fit perfectly. This is what I meant, and its true.

Honestly...these things ring true in multiplayer as well because all of the maps are basically clipped from the campaign...and there are "slow-mo" versions of a couple of the gametypes as well.

The small community is for the PC. Everyone seems to hack in it also. Even with Punk Buster.

xino
02-01-2009, 07:51 AM
What's so good? this game is sick!

I remember hearing about the first F.E.A.R, I was so excited about it, upon finally playing the demo on 360. The controls killed it and I was not impressed by something.

Now I decided to give this a go..and my goodness! The Realism!

First of all, the visuals for this game are so damn nice! The graphics may look generic plain, but visuals tops it up. The problem about the damn console version is, it doesn't run at 60fps! And it has low resolution, whereas the graphics would truly be enjoyable on PC with maxed out settings.

When I started moving the character away from the helicopter, my goodness, the way the guy walks, felt so REAL! I thought I was injured, but I wasn't! I love the movement of this game! Feels like Mirror's Edge (even though I haven't touched it myself, desperate I have seen too much videos and watching others play it.

I observed the melee combat, it was decent, but when I picked up the gun and fired....WOW! LOL It felt so real! It instantly reminded me of this game on PC. When you fire a machine gun for so long, the aimming goes out of control. This was how the aiming felt! When I zoomed in, it felt like playing KillZone 2 O_o (when you zoom-in in KillZone 2).

I don't like the "running and melee" though, I never hit the enemies on spot.

The slow-mo effect is great. But I don't like it because it seriously makes the game too easy! When I get the full game, I'll make sure I'll start on Harder difficulty (for the first time). Then the slow-mo will be worth using to survive.

The flash backs weren't scary:/ But when I played the game the second time, a ghost did scare me. This reminds me of d00m 3. And I'll surely only play this game at night to get the full sweet scary experience.

I don't like the rocket launcher though, feels like Battle Field rocket launcher, whereas the rocket goes through walls but doesn't have a full impact. And what's with the GunDamn suit thing? It's pretty cool, but makes the game come out of it's scary genre.

Oh yea, don't forget another realism, you can tip over tables and vending machines for cover:)

When I saw the comparison with F.E.A.R 1 and F.E.A.R 2.
Fear 1 looks like a 1997 game with updated graphics/visuals and better gameplay.
While Fear 2 looks like everything has been taken to the extreme level!

(but I won't be getting this game early, just ordered Devil May Cry 4)

The Clutch Hand
02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Right on i'm diggin the ranking system, and you can also get achievements for them to which doesn't make it a waste..... =)

bloodswan
02-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I atcually prefer campaigns to multi-players. The only exception is the COD series.

KemicalSupreme
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
What's so good? this game is sick!

I remember hearing about the first F.E.A.R, I was so excited about it, upon finally playing the demo on 360. The controls killed it and I was not impressed by something.

Now I decided to give this a go..and my goodness! The Realism!

First of all, the visuals for this game are so damn nice! The graphics may look generic plain, but visuals tops it up. The problem about the damn console version is, it doesn't run at 60fps! And it has low resolution, whereas the graphics would truly be enjoyable on PC with maxed out settings.

When I started moving the character away from the helicopter, my goodness, the way the guy walks, felt so REAL! I thought I was injured, but I wasn't! I love the movement of this game! Feels like Mirror's Edge (even though I haven't touched it myself, desperate I have seen too much videos and watching others play it.

I observed the melee combat, it was decent, but when I picked up the gun and fired....WOW! LOL It felt so real! It instantly reminded me of this game on PC. When you fire a machine gun for so long, the aimming goes out of control. This was how the aiming felt! When I zoomed in, it felt like playing KillZone 2 O_o (when you zoom-in in KillZone 2).

I don't like the "running and melee" though, I never hit the enemies on spot.

The slow-mo effect is great. But I don't like it because it seriously makes the game too easy! When I get the full game, I'll make sure I'll start on Harder difficulty (for the first time). Then the slow-mo will be worth using to survive.

The flash backs weren't scary:/ But when I played the game the second time, a ghost did scare me. This reminds me of d00m 3. And I'll surely only play this game at night to get the full sweet scary experience.

I don't like the rocket launcher though, feels like Battle Field rocket launcher, whereas the rocket goes through walls but doesn't have a full impact. And what's with the GunDamn suit thing? It's pretty cool, but makes the game come out of it's scary genre.

Oh yea, don't forget another realism, you can tip over tables and vending machines for cover:)

When I saw the comparison with F.E.A.R 1 and F.E.A.R 2.
Fear 1 looks like a 1997 game with updated graphics/visuals and better gameplay.
While Fear 2 looks like everything has been taken to the extreme level!

(but I won't be getting this game early, just ordered Devil May Cry 4)

The game was much more enjoyable for the PC than the console versions. FEAR 2 will rock, but sadly probably wont be played much due to RE 5 and COD WAW

laundryman
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
The game's multiplayer is awesome, but it's usually deserted within the firts month because people don't like it or move on to more popular games.

The multiplayer is fantastic in my opinion. People just don't give it a chance. I don't think it will be as good as the first, but it will still be fun.

Lordvader178
02-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I picked up FEAR thinking it was an average FPS. Boy was i wrong.

It had EVERYTHING. Incredibly smart AI, awesome weapons, multitudes of bad guys, slo-mo, excellent characters and voice acting. The only thing it didn't have was enjoyable scenery. However, the scenery was memorable. Who could forget being in offices for like 15 levels :P

FEAR is now my favourite FPS of all time. I even pick up FEAR Files because i loved it so much. Extraction Point was godly fun, but Perseus was kinda meh. I dunno why, i just didn't like Perseus as much.

I pre-ordered FEAR 2, and am picking it up on release day. This is my GOTY for 2009.

KemicalSupreme
02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I picked up FEAR thinking it was an average FPS. Boy was i wrong.

It had EVERYTHING. Incredibly smart AI, awesome weapons, multitudes of bad guys, slo-mo, excellent characters and voice acting. The only thing it didn't have was enjoyable scenery. However, the scenery was memorable. Who could forget being in offices for like 15 levels :P

FEAR is now my favourite FPS of all time. I even pick up FEAR Files because i loved it so much. Extraction Point was godly fun, but Perseus was kinda meh. I dunno why, i just didn't like Perseus as much.

I pre-ordered FEAR 2, and am picking it up on release day. This is my GOTY for 2009.

Those office buildings seem huge huh? The game definitely isnt about scenery, but everything about the game is very memorable.

Reloaded
02-06-2009, 05:21 PM
FEAR is one of the best single player games I've played the game play is amazing with slow mo and instant action is fun and challenging. I did not like the multiplayer either though but I dislike most anyway only CoD and GoW are good to me.

KemicalSupreme
02-06-2009, 05:39 PM
FEAR is one of the best single player games I've played the game play is amazing with slow mo and instant action is fun and challenging. I did not like the multiplayer either though but I dislike most anyway only CoD and GoW are good to me.

Keep in mind back in 2005, Fear was the best FPS we have seen yet. Now obviously COD's engine is unbeatable. GOW is garbage.

Judivarious
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I have to disagree with the first post when you said the best reason to play FPS games was multiplayer, there are SEVERAL FPS games in the history of gaming that didn't include multiplayer, like System Shock 2, Deus Ex (The multiplayer was added later, and actually made the game look bad), Fallout 3, Oblivion (Is Oblivion really a FPS though, it has swords. :D)

Butters
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I have to disagree with the first post when you said the best reason to play FPS games was multiplayer, there are SEVERAL FPS games in the history of gaming that didn't include multiplayer, like System Shock 2, Deus Ex (The multiplayer was added later, and actually made the game look bad), Fallout 3, Oblivion (Is Oblivion really a FPS though, it has swords. :D)

You totally forgot Bioshock...

I G0NZ0 I
02-09-2009, 06:26 AM
F is for Frightening

E is for Engaging

A is for Alma

R is for Replay Value

That is why F.E.A.R is so good.