View Full Version : Wow, this...sucks.
At first I was looking forward to this one.. assuming it would be a traditional Mahjongg (Yes, it's written correctly with 2 gs but not one) and then.... this.
So I did the tut and as it was ending and the first ach popped up (phew, 30 gs for a mere tutorial isn't too bad) I still knew exactly as much as in the beginning. Weird game.
Oh my. I wonder whether anyone plays this.
01-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Havnt got it yet, but was looking forward to it... would you still recommend it?
01-29-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm certainly no expert, in fact I just had to google this to properly respond, but after searching and confirming what I initially thought:
1. Mahjong is spelled properly. In American versions it is *sometimes* spelled Mahjongg, but by no means is that the definitive spelling (if anything, you can argue that 1 g is more proper since it is used much more often and is the original spelling).
2. This game is "traditional Mahjong". I'm going to assume you were hoping for a tile matching game, which is actually Mahjong Solitaire or Shanghai or Mahjong Matching Tiles. That game was a derivative of this game.
3. I have never fully learned the rules for Mahjong before (I had tried to play it a few times on japanese consoles and I sorta figured out it was similar to Gin Rummy, but not much past that). After the tutorial I definitely had a grasp for the basics of the game (even with the tutorial's poor grammar and sometimes confusing instructions). Scoring is still a bit confusing (with so many special cases) but I definitely feel I can play the game after the tutorial.
If you are interested in learning Mahjong or like the game already I think this will be a good game for you.
Those expecting flash will be sorely disappointed as it looks like this game was ported from a DS or smartphone version...seriously the graphics are horrible and the text is even pixelated!! How can you leave text as a blurry graphic instead of just using actual text....Oh well. It's still kinda fun.
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I wish they'd release more rules for the game to select from the default is the Taiwanese variation of the game where you are dealt sixteen tiles at the beginning, I think releasing a Hong Kong rules would make sense.
I'm no expert at the game, but I know how to play it, I just struggle at making hands. I agree with the game probably being a port from a ds or something of the sort - they are horrible. But I guess I can perceiver, I only play mahjong for fun and often it is on facebook. I tried playing ranked matches yesterday but they are hard to find and when you do find one you need 4 people in a room before it can start, I finally managed to get a few in though.
01-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow Pips...That's sick lol.
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I love this game! Took me about four games to figure out exactly what was going on, but now I can see that's it's really a lot like Uno crossed with whist or some other tricks-based card game.
I got a few wins in ranked games - it's really satisfying to beat a bunch of players from Hong Kong and Japan.
I'd agree that the tutorial is a little confusing. The part that confused me was when I had a group of three tiles in my hand and sometimes the game would set them aside, sometimes not. I wish I'd discovered mahjong years ago.
02-03-2009, 01:01 AM
I love this game. Finally I can play some mahjong.
02-05-2009, 05:40 AM
This game is fun, but I d still wish they got the traditional hong kong option to choose from.
02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I've always wanted to play Mahjong but never really found anyone else that wanted to play it and I never really understood the rules. This game is good for novice mahjong players because it takes care of all the scoring and procedure (i.e. setting up the board, determining winds etc) and lets you just worry about learning the strategy.
That said, there's a lot this game could improve on.
1) Use our avatars!
2) UI needs to be improved so that I can better see the tiles that my opponents are showing.
3) Allow me to rearrange my tiles the way I want
4) Explain the scoring system somehow. I know how to win hands but I don't know how to maximize points which is involved in three achievements.
02-20-2010, 08:30 PM
I might have to try this out.
08-28-2010, 03:05 PM
I downloaded this game to learn the basic rules (I had just bought a fantastic Mahjong set from Hong Kong so wanted to learn quickly instead of reading a manual) and I think it's great! I'd say the only downside is that there is never enough people online to play multiplayer :(
Anyone want to play via xbox live feel free to add me as a friend and sent me a message! :)
12-04-2010, 01:23 AM
it's a good game if you want a real mahjong game and not a puzzle game, but nobodys plays it, and it's boring to always play against the AI... so you can ad me too, if you want to play with real people ;)
01-31-2014, 04:44 PM
After playing this in a ranked match for 1 hour and 10 minutes where nobody won the match seriously tempted to delete this off my hard drive. Really cant see me playing 100 + matches of this game at over 1 hour per match.....
vBulletin® v3.8.7 Beta 1, Copyright ©2000-2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.