PDA

View Full Version : first boss

G4M3RC0P
11-08-2006, 07:04 AM
ok, i know, im a n00b. I haven't played this in over a decade. I just beat the first boss in chapter 1 and it warped me to this room and i totally died. I got the chapter 1 achievement but what was that room?? I also, for some reason, didn't get the chance to save before that happened and now i have to do that all over :mad:

Butters
11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Thats the ending.... you warp into hell or something you don't go farther. Thats why you got the ach.

Supaaafly
11-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Just to add to what Butters said...that is chapter 1 complete, but rather than continue from there, you have to go back and select a new game and chapter 2. Rinse and repeat for 3 and 4 and hey presto, you completed the game.

Kinda strange way of doing things, but it makes the game more challenging cos you have to restart with no additional weapons.

xsni
11-12-2006, 07:14 AM
It kinda freaked me out and confused me too.

G4M3RC0P
11-30-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks for the help. I guess I'm not too familiar with those kind of levels..

SixtyeightState
12-17-2006, 06:07 AM
That room actually takes you to hell, or so I think.

Infected Z
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
That room actually takes you to hell, or so I think.

Nah it takes you to the deimos moon base, where the next chapter continues.

machII
02-23-2007, 01:08 AM
i've been playing this on an older console and am considering purchasing the game, i've completed it twice on nightmare so should'nt pose a challenge for the achievements...

Mulsiphix
02-24-2007, 01:47 PM
To elaborate on what actually happens when you beat the Baron of Hell and go through the teleporter only to be ambushed by a ton of enemies, I offer this explanation from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom#Story).

In order to beat the game, the player must fight through three episodes containing nine levels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_%28computer_and_video_games%29) each (see Episodes and levels of Doom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodes_and_levels_of_Doom)). Knee-Deep in the Dead, the first episode and the only one in the shareware (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shareware) version, is set in the high-tech military bases on Phobos. It ends with the player fighting the Barons of Hell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_enemies_in_Doom#Baron_of_Hell) and afterwards entering the teleporter leading to Deimos, there getting overwhelmed by monsters and seemingly killed. In the second episode, Shores of Hell, the player journeys through the Deimos installation, whose areas are interwoven with beastly architecture. After encountering the Cyberdemon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_enemies_in_Doom#Cyberdemon), the truth about the vanished moon is discovered: it is floating above Hell.

I have actually read the first Doom novel which, if your a hardcore Doom fan and are very familiar with the Doom level designs, is based very closely on the original game and level designs. However, when Flynn Taggart (the doom guy) goes through the teleporter no such "ambush" incident actually occurs.

I've marked the relevant information in red for those who don't want to read the whole thing. This excerpt starts at the very ending of Chapter 14 and I must warn you that this does contain a few spoilers to the storyline. For those who don't care, read on.

I was lying on the floor of the same enormous, star-shaped chamber; but the walls had fallen, crumbling into constituent bricks outside, leaving the way clear to the outside. That whole concept of "outside" bothered me. Why wasn't I a corpse-sicle, floating in space?
There was air to breathe. There was an overcast sky to watch, complete with low-hanging clouds; dark clouds before a storm. Wherever I was, it sure as hell wasn't Phobos.
I found a platform behind the building. There was a switch. I pressed it and watched a stairway slowly rise. Wotthehell, Archie, wotthehell... I walked up the stairs.
At the very top was a Gate ... a working Gate. It was marked by a flickering symbol that gave me a splitting headache when I tried to concentrate on the design. I approached it, eyes averted.
And damn me if there wasn't Arlene Sanders's last mark, right next to the Gate, pointing directly at the symbol. She'd written a single word: OUT?
I didn't know. But I didn't hesitate a moment. If that were the way Arlene went.. .
Then that was where I was going.
Without a glance back, I stepped aboard.

Chapter 15

Time had no meaning for Fly Taggart—the memory of being Fly Taggart. He had no body but retained a consciousness somehow, somewhere. A sense of motion, but that might only be another memory.
Remembering a hand created a hand. Remembering a foot resulted in the sensation of a foot, a painful sensation from where his ankle had been bruised. Memory of a backache condensed into a patch of flesh and blood that was a back.
Memory of breath turned emptiness into a pair of lungs. Recollections of hot days on a summer beach left their imprint on a forehead slick with sweat.
Then he had a whole body, floating in a warm current of air slowly cooling; an upside-down vertigo turning his stomach, which meant he had a stomach. The fall wasn't long, and he skinned his knees on a hard metal surface before falling forward on his face. The air was cold.
He blinked eyes in an aching head. He couldn't see anything but white and red spots chasing each other across afield of darkness. The man panicked at the thought that he'd been blinded; but gradually vision returned. There wasn't much worth seeing.
The light was dim. He wanted to breathe fresh air again, as he had before stepping on the platform. He'd been breathing the stale air of spaceships and the Mars station and the Phobos installations for so long he'd almost forgotten what fresh air was like. Even if it had been fake, he wanted it again. But when he filled his lungs, it was that disgusting sour-lemon smell he had first noticed when he killed his first zombie. He was a man again, but he didn't want to be back in hell Yet he had traveled somewhere, hadn't he? He felt he'd come a very long way just to reach . . .
I didn't know where I was. Instinctively, I reached with my left hand for the machine pistol, the weapon I could most quickly bring into play. My hand slapped bare flesh. There was nothing on my chest but air, I looked down and saw that I was naked.
Jesus and Mother Mary. And after all that work gather­ing shotgun, Sig-Cow, and rocket launcher.
Having lost my clothes during the strange journey didn't bother me, except for the drop in temperature; but I didn't want to turn into dead meat because I didn't have weapons. A naked man is an unarmed man.
I wasn't going to waste another second before recon-noitering. If there were monsters anywhere near here, then I had to get my hands on a firearm right away. The sour-lemon smell was a dead giveaway—zombies lurked somewhere in the shadows. I'd come through a gateway with nothing but my body, but at least I was breathing. I wanted to keep it that way.

KolaNut
04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I remember playing this game on my PC all the time when I was a kid. If you had God mode on when you were teleported you still died right? I distinctly remember watching somebody older than me play it once though and I'm sure they activated a cheat which allowed you to kill everything when you are teleported, like an invulnerability cheat or something. Did I dream this or was it actually possible?

em0rox
04-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Kinda strange way of doing things, but it makes the game more challenging cos you have to restart with no additional weapons.

This is because the game was released in 4 parts, or episodes when it came out. On 360 they put all four into one game so that is why you have to start over at the end of each episode.