PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from the demo

bombfirst885
01-30-2009, 03:28 AM
I've only played the tutorial, and through the demo campaign once so bear with me...

Pros -

The controls are pretty good for a console RTS

Campaign feels like it'll be fleshed out, and CGI is nice

Graphically appealing

Cons -

Resource system feels dumbed down compared to AOE series

Operation from a set base structure feels restricted

General Khazard
01-30-2009, 05:38 AM
One question... how have you played it? It's not available yet... [EDIT: Teamxbox rules]

bombfirst885
01-30-2009, 01:12 PM
One question... how have you played it? It's not available yet... Until you can provide a plausible explanation, I am declaring this a fail.Received a free code from Teamxbox for early D/L.

General Khazard
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I see, well then I retract my declaration of fail and instead ask you, how?

Toastix
01-30-2009, 06:08 PM
so how does unit balance feel and micro management? Does it feel like it has a lot of variety in how you build your forces? Those are my primary concerns with it and I hope the demo addresses those concerns.

The Weasel
01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Very lucky. :)

So how's the gameplay? And how do the reasources work? How do you gather ressources?

bombfirst885
01-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Very lucky. :)

So how's the gameplay? And how do the reasources work? How do you gather ressources?Basically you make a resource center on your base. You can upgrade it to a level 2. Also around the level there are resource points you can control, and small deposits of resources.

Its been awhile since I've played an RTS, but this one feels solid so far.

The Weasel
02-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Thanks for answering. I can't how to see how an RTS will work out on the xbox. It's kinda weird how you get ressources but it still sounds good.

Sonnenberg
02-01-2009, 06:51 AM
nice on the early demo sonnn

i just dabble a little in RTS games but im excited about this one and will for sure get the demo

my only concern is that some of the cheevs might be tough because im not too familiar with RTS

I hope the demo is as good as the hype for this game has been

Unibrow88
02-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Basically you make a resource center on your base. You can upgrade it to a level 2. Also around the level there are resource points you can control, and small deposits of resources.

Its been awhile since I've played an RTS, but this one feels solid so far.

Whats the balance like does any unit seem overpowered and game winning?

ClevelandRocks8
02-01-2009, 04:13 PM
So there's no way for us to get the Demo?

Please share if there is a way.

Jamie Solo
02-01-2009, 04:49 PM
The demo is available this thursday - February 5th - for everyone.

ClevelandRocks8
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
The demo is available this thursday - February 5th - for everyone.

Thanks for posting this, I'll be sure to download.

bombfirst885
02-04-2009, 02:11 AM
Whats the balance like does any unit seem overpowered and game winning?Everything seems balanced. I'm not sure if you can play with the Cov so I haven't tried them yet.

You can only use one (small) map. After watching the new vidoc I'm excited to play against real opponents. RTS games are at their best in multiplayer. Right now I'm basically destroying the Cov on Normal difficulty.

tastefulmrship
02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I've only played the tutorial, and through the demo campaign once so bear with me...

Cons -

Resource system feels dumbed down compared to AOE series

Operation from a set base structure feels restricted

Sounds like they've gone down the T:A route, rather than AoE/AoM. Strange! I guess we'll find out for sure today when the demo's available.

Stephens34
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I thought was going to be a first person shooter like other halo games, i never heard that it was to be like command and conquer and end war. I played the demo and I don't really like that much.

General Khazard
02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
I thought was going to be a first person shooter like other halo games, i never heard that it was to be like command and conquer and end war. I played the demo and I don't really like that much.

... So you're giving it a bad rating because you've been living under a rock and didn't realize it was a different genre than what the other three Halo games are? Makes perfect sense to me...

twilightsniper8
02-06-2009, 12:34 AM
i loved the demo

General Khazard
02-06-2009, 12:52 AM
I thought it was great. I posted an unofficial review (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123797), it gives a more detailed account of my impressions.

bombfirst885
02-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I thought was going to be a first person shooter like other halo games, i never heard that it was to be like command and conquer and end war. I played the demo and I don't really like that much.You can bet Microsoft sells a number of copies based on this alone.

SaintKnight
02-06-2009, 01:44 AM
I really enjoyed it. It's so simple to play and it's fun. The cutscenes make it seem like Halo could be a great CG movie. I've never played a RTS before, and for Halo fans who like this game, it should make people play some more RTS games.

THATxDARNxSWEDE
02-06-2009, 01:53 AM
yeah it looks pretty good

IXISHADOW
02-07-2009, 02:53 AM
I have enjoyed the demo alot I am gonna pre order from game.

Lancer Evolution
02-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Thought it would be 'eh', but tried the demo and loved it.
It was way better than I thought it would be. Totally getting this game.

Hot Juicy Pie
02-07-2009, 03:33 AM
No multiplayer in the demo /cry

Squirrel257
02-07-2009, 04:45 AM
I have replayed the single skirmish map about 20+ times now. i think I could be addicted.

Atarii
02-07-2009, 06:59 PM
The demo is alright, when the game comes out I will try to rent a copy to see if the retail version is good. If a couple friends buy it than I may buy it as well to play online with them.

Bolt
02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
It's probably the best console strategy game out their, the controls work very well and it is tons of fun, hopefully the multiplayer will be great.

01mvoi
02-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I thought the game was quite enjoyable, I'm not a massive fan of the Halo series, but I am a big fan of RTS games. In my opinion, the game and controls are a lot easier to use than the Command & Conquer games and other strategy games previously released on the 360.

After playing the demo, I was very impressed with the game generally. The attention to detail on the soldiers and units were top notch, and the landscapes looked amazing. Until the game comes out, we'll have to wait and see whether the game is all it's cracked up to be.

Deathblow23
02-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I have never played 1 single RTS game in my life whether it be on a PC or a console. Having said that,...I thought this demo was a blast to play. It feels so much like a Halo game...it's uncanny. Everything from the title screen to the menus to the music...EVERYTHING feels like Halo.

I will, without a doubt play this game!!! It's almost worth splurging for to get the CE so I can get a hold of the Mythic maps early!!! Regardless...Ensemble went out with a bang...I really think this will be an example of a developer "getting it right"!!!

Aedim
02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I like fps and rts games and I got to admit it's good not sure wheither imma get it or not cause it seems theres just a few units and only 2 sides thats a bit boring but we'll see I prefer cnc

Sniper Riflez
02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I like Halo Wars because it feels like a war, not a super human steroid pump human raping everything.

xUKxSniperDemon
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
I loved the demo apparently the real game is going to be loads better???? I cant wait to see what other infantry is available in the real game