PDA

View Full Version : How can I get into RTS for Halo Wars?

The Lovat Scout
02-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Hey guys, I've never really been into Real Time Strategy games. I just liked to take full control of my own individual character and whoop ass (or at least attempt to). Now I haven't played Halo 3 as much as I did before because of GoW2, but I'm really into the Halo Universe and it's story. And for that reason only I'm going to get Halo Wars. My only fear is that I won't enjoy playing it enough to even finish it. And tips on what to expect when I do play the game? Isn't EndWar a RTS out right now? Are they similar? I just need to get into them or at least get a hang of them in time.

General Khazard
02-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Well, if nothing else you could play with somebody who *is* into RTSes and just let them handle all the stuff you don't want to. The co-op lets two people control the same army/faction, so one of you can concentrate on building and the other one can concentrate on the fighting. If you need someone to play with for that reason, hit me up as I'll probably be more than willing to play campaign co-op any time (except for my first playthrough, gotta do it single-player for myself the first time).

GT: Sangheilioz

Squirrel257
02-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Play some CC: Red Alert 3. It is out at the moment and IMO it is great fun. You can play the whole thing co-op with a buddy to, to make it more enjoyable for you if you are trying to get into the whole RTS thing :)

The Lovat Scout
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Sweet. I'll give CC:RA3 a shot. I'm going to download te demo this Thursday and hopefully I'll enjoy it.

ZundayXx
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Well, i have RA 3 and i played the Halo Wars Demo, and Imo it totally is NOT the same, well yeah the idea is the same but it TOTALLY feels different.

The Lovat Scout
02-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Well, i have RA 3 and i played the Halo Wars Demo, and Imo it totally is NOT the same, well yeah the idea is the same but it TOTALLY feels different.

Would you say Halo Wars is better? I'm downloading it right now (finally, stupid college) so I'll let everyone know (if anyone else is reading this and not so much into RTS's) how I like it. :)

General Khazard
02-06-2009, 02:37 AM
I have a few friends who dislike RTSes, but found the Halo Wars demo to be very enjoyable. I myself find it to be a unique experience, even if some of the RTS elements are very watered-down...

FaW II HaVoK
02-06-2009, 02:40 AM
If you want to like Halo Wars - Try Lord Of The Rings: Battle For Middle Earth 2.

ZundayXx
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Would you say Halo Wars is better? I'm downloading it right now (finally, stupid college) so I'll let everyone know (if anyone else is reading this and not so much into RTS's) how I like it. :)

I wouldn't say its better because the full game isn't out the full one might have some extra stuff.
But if you really want a opinion i'd say Halo Wars is better for beginners...

The Lovat Scout
02-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I just played it and I think its great. My only complaint is that I wish I could select certain units. Like, only my infantry. I know you can press A on them, but then when you try and press A on another unit of marines, it deselects the first one. And I know you can hold A, but thats a huge blowup bubble to use when my army is quite dense. And then I know about local units, but again, when my whole army is dense its hard to get only the marines on screen. If you could continually select marines it would be solid!

General Khazard
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I just played it and I think its great. My only complaint is that I wish I could select certain units. Like, only my infantry. I know you can press A on them, but then when you try and press A on another unit of marines, it deselects the first one. And I know you can hold A, but thats a huge blowup bubble to use when my army is quite dense. And then I know about local units, but again, when my whole army is dense its hard to get only the marines on screen. If you could continually select marines it would be solid!

double-tap "A" on a marine group and it will select all the marines on screen. this trick also works for all your other units. Similarly, if you have a large mixed-type force, you can use the Right Trigger to cycle through each unit type in your army, to issue orders to just those units. I have a tips & tricks portion in my demo review that you can find here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123797).

Alyssaphanboi
02-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I just played it and I think its great.

I am glad to hear that!

If even non-RTS types think the game is great then I am assured to like it (I like LOTR:BFME 2 so do like RTSes)

Jack_x2yz
02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Play Age of Empires 2 and 3, they are from the same people as Halo Wars. They are extreamly fun and follow the same rule set as halo wars (the rock paper scissors thing)

MothMan
02-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Starcraft is great. You can pick up it and the expansion for $20, and it will run on any PC.

The Lovat Scout
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Play Age of Empires 2 and 3, they are from the same people as Halo Wars. They are extreamly fun and follow the same rule set as halo wars (the rock paper scissors thing)

Yeah, I have two friends who used to play that. It was a loong time ago. All I remember is them driving a corvette around with a bazooka killing people, lol.

And yeah, I am pretty surprised at how much I enjoy it. I play it all the time now and my friends get mad when I decline invites to Gears of War 2 when I'm playing just the demo, lol. Already reserved the LE for the Mythic Map Packs, and for the flamin warthog, lol. I'll probably be posting in these forums a lot when the game actually comes out.

General Khazard
02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm happy to see you liked it so much!