PDA

View Full Version : Need to play F.E.A.R first?

bloodswan
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I have never played the original F.E.A.R game but I love twisted horror games and it looks likes this game will be one of them. Obviously the game would be better if I had played the original but I just wanted to know whether or not it would really matter if I went straight into F.E.A.R 2.

KemicalSupreme
02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
I have never played the original F.E.A.R game but I love twisted horror games and it looks likes this game will be one of them. Obviously the game would be better if I had played the original but I just wanted to know whether or not it would really matter if I went straight into F.E.A.R 2.

My friend,

If you like horror twist games so much? How did you miss Fear1 and Fear files? Easily the scariest game made to date. DeadSpace, Resident Evil, etc do not touch it. Easily one of the best games of 2005 on the PC. It didnt get much play on console because people didnt have the buzz of it like the PC community had.

I doubt you need to follow the stories from the 1st game, because I am sure you have the simple background who Alma, Fettal is.

I would play those games though. The xpacks of Fear 1 go into different areas of the city at different times of when Fear 1 was happening.

I would play Fear 1 and the xpacks because it litterally scared the @%*@ out of me. I could never play the game by myself and if I did, I would have to take breaks because I would litterally have my heart pumping. They do a great job with background noises. Keep you guessing when Alma might show up. The experience you have when she is about to show up. I have been waiting since the end of the first game in 2005 for this one. Imagine my excitement.

Hope you buy it.

laundryman
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
If you like horror twist games so much? How did you miss Fear1 and Fear files? Easily the scariest game made to date. DeadSpace, Resident Evil, etc do not touch it. Easily one of the best games of 2005 on the PC. It didnt get much play on console because people didnt have the buzz of it like the PC community had.

Hardly the scariest game ever made, but yes, it's scary.

You don't have to play the first, but you might want to go onto Wikipedia or something and read up on it. Reading about it online will make more sense than the actual game. It can be a little confusing.

KemicalSupreme
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Hardly the scariest game ever made, but yes, it's scary.

You don't have to play the first, but you might want to go onto Wikipedia or something and read up on it. Reading about it online will make more sense than the actual game. It can be a little confusing.

Maybe the original RE was scarier, but mainly because it was the first of its kind. I happen to think Fear is very very scary.

laundryman
02-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Maybe the original RE was scarier, but mainly because it was the first of its kind. I happen to think Fear is very very scary.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, F.E.A.R. is a scary game, but I just don't think it compares to the first Condemned or Silent Hill.

Well, I guess everyone get's scared by different things.

bloodswan
02-04-2009, 10:08 PM
My friend,

If you like horror twist games so much? How did you miss Fear1 and Fear files? Easily the scariest game made to date. DeadSpace, Resident Evil, etc do not touch it. Easily one of the best games of 2005 on the PC.

Hope you buy it.

It is suprising that I've never played it. It seems like it came out at a time when I was overseas. I have only got back into gaming since I came back just over a year ago so any games from mid 2005 to mid 2007 I missed though I did play whatever games my bro had bought. I generally only play console games too with the exception of Total War games.

If it comes close to the Silent Hill series I will become an instant fan. I might buy this when it comes out now actually.

ElderOmnivore
02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, F.E.A.R. is a scary game, but I just don't think it compares to the first Condemned or Silent Hill.

I for one think the Fatal Frame series is the scariest. Those are the only games I refused to play in the dark by myself.

KSI Chikatilio
02-04-2009, 10:21 PM
the original fear is so bad ass

Butters
02-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I would highly recommend Fear 1 for a play through before 2 but it's not necessary.

HAHAyurDEAD
02-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I really enjoyed FEAR, and FEAR Files. I don't think you will need to play them to catch up on the story. If you don't play them though you are missing out on 2 great games. Plus if you enjoy having nightmares and hiding under the bed sheets, by all means go and pick these games up ASAP!

Vendetta
02-05-2009, 03:58 AM

Doom 3 was scarier than Silent Hill for sure... Condemned is on par with Doom I suppose.

Anyways... back to the topic I would recommend playing FEAR for sure. It is $15 used at gamestop

KemicalSupreme
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
It is suprising that I've never played it. It seems like it came out at a time when I was overseas. I have only got back into gaming since I came back just over a year ago so any games from mid 2005 to mid 2007 I missed though I did play whatever games my bro had bought. I generally only play console games too with the exception of Total War games.

If it comes close to the Silent Hill series I will become an instant fan. I might buy this when it comes out now actually.

Silent Hill doesnt touch this. You will like this story so much more. Think about it. Fear 1 starts out where you think you have a squad. From the start, you have that erry feeling like man, I hope my squad doesnt leave me? Then boom, Alma destroys everyone but you. You are left alone. The creepy sound affects and the spooky moments where Alma comes out of nowhere. Dude, there are points where you have to climb up and down laddars and as your turning to go on the latter, Alma is there watching you. Freaks you out. Or Alma hiding in corners or your in a room that you cant get out and you see Alma thru the window. Trust me, this game is scary because your by yourself in warehouses, office buildings, etc.....

I G0NZ0 I
02-09-2009, 06:11 AM
You guys are going to be really dissapointed. OXM said that F.E.A.R 2 wasn't scary.

Steve007101
02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Maybe but if you take a look at one of the other reviews currently out, like videogamer.com, you'll find a different reaction:

"F.E.A.R. 2 got under my skin. It totally sucked me in, grabbed my nerves and shredded them. After a few hours I was a blithering wreck, cursing every time something moved across my vision."

Yeah. Current reviews are:

GamePro 4 / 5
Official Xbox Magazine 7.5 / 10
Game Informer 8.2 / 10
VideoGamer (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=990659) 9 / 10

In general I would say Game Informer gives one of the most neutral/objective ratings around, considering theirs is over an 8 I expect the game to be great or better.

chasedabigbase
02-10-2009, 11:00 PM
FEAR as nothing to me in the scare department, the only thing that gave me a little shake was when the guy spanked the mans face from behind the dumpster (I could say spoiler but...really?), but when I started going guns a blazing, ( a minute into the beginning) it was simple as pie, (yes, i did say simple as pie). Not that I'm saying it was a bad game because of that, on the contrary it was still a great fps for it's time, & playing the new demo just gets me amped up for tomm. :D same with Condemned, except back in '05 those visuals with that AI intelligence made it a very frightening experience, which I loved. Finally I gotta give my props to Dead Space, for being the only game to (almost) make me shit my pants purely with sound alone.

chasedabigbase
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
You guys are going to be really dissapointed. OXM said that F.E.A.R 2 wasn't scary. Sorry for double posting but after seeing OXM's terrible & uneducated review of Dead Space it has lead me to choose not to take there opinion for my own, or & other critics for that matter.

Rolyatkcinmai
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
IGN and 1up are the only review sites I give a flying rat's tit about. OXM? Who cares?