PDA

View Full Version : User Reviews Idea

Army of 88
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi all
I read a lot of the forums on this site and I see people asking if they should buy the game or not, so from this I thought it would be cool to have a feature where users of the site can post their reviews and from this everyone can get a better opinion of whether they should by a game or not.
The reson I would like this is a lot of reviews you read are done by people who get paid to do good reviews, so the most real review would come from the many different users who play computer games.
The reviews can be like how the main site is layout e.g. rates the achievements but user can say whether you should rent it or buy it and give reason why they like it.

The Pants Party
02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
We don't get paid to do our reviews, so you can trust us. :p

Army of 88
02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
i know you don't but some do i mean it would be cool to have lots of different people's opinion on a game so the you get a good idea of what the game is like.

eskEMO
02-04-2009, 06:59 PM
i know you don't but some do i mean it would be cool to have lots of different people's opinion on a game so the you get a good idea of what the game is like.

From experience and opinion, this is only relatively a good idea. The reviews on this site are already VERY accurate and in-depth. Most users on forums don't put out enough effort, thought, etc. to form a well-written review. It would be a bunch of, "Wow, this game sucked!" and "GOTY imo!" comments with only a few helpful reviews that gave +/- of the game. Stick to what's already written here. ;) If you really need help with a decision to try the game; check out the specific forum for that game. :D

Tailz
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
They may not get paid, but they get compensated in forms of swag.

Minty
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
We have a user score rating for each game, that's the closest were gonna get :p

The Pants Party
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM

We get the game we review once in a while, but not even all the time. Three of the last four games I reviewed I purchased or rented.

Tailz
02-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I know how reviews work. Generally at least in my case when i review tech products. Alot of the time when you give a favorable review the company will send you anything from that product, to plane tickets to gift certificates. So to say you don't get "paid" isn't true. Now who knows if you guys are that "known" by game companies to that point.

The Pants Party
02-05-2009, 02:20 AM
We have one of the lowest metacritic averages on the internet. We do not give favorable reviews in hopes that companies will send us more games. The fact that you've even insinuated that frankly pisses me off. So let me reiterate that we do not get paid, nor do we get swag, nor do we get anything in return for our reviews. Companies send us things to review because we get out there and ask for it. If the company wants people to read about their game, regardless of how it gets scored, they come to us. If they want a 90+ review, they can hope their game is good enough or fuck off.

Webb
02-06-2009, 03:26 AM
I know how reviews work. Generally at least in my case when i review tech products. Alot of the time when you give a favorable review the company will send you anything from that product, to plane tickets to gift certificates. So to say you don't get "paid" isn't true. Now who knows if you guys are that "known" by game companies to that point.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. You've obviously never worked in the games industry. I can say that we've NEVER got anything for a review, not even a sticker.

We have one of the lowest metacritic averages on the internet. We do not give favorable reviews in hopes that companies will send us more games. The fact that you've even insinuated that frankly pisses me off. So let me reiterate that we do not get paid, nor do we get swag, nor do we get anything in return for our reviews. Companies send us things to review because we get out there and ask for it. If the company wants people to read about their game, regardless of how it gets scored, they come to us. If they want a 90+ review, they can hope their game is good enough or fuck off.

Pants is right, although he's not as tactful as we'd usually like :p

We have a duty to our readership and our readership alone. Just because you've obviously given favourable reviews in the hope of getting "swag", please don't insinuate that we act like that as well, because we don't.

The Pants Party
02-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Haha, sorry about that Webb. Heat of the moment and all. :p

Maybe it sounded like it from my first sentence, but we don't just bash games for fun either. The low metacritic rating is just a byproduct of our honesty. There are unforunately not enough original, exciting games out these days.

Ingles
02-06-2009, 03:42 AM

I won't say what making assumptions does because I think you know, at least I would hope you do.

ThrawnOmega
02-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Hi all
I read a lot of the forums on this site and I see people asking if they should buy the game or not, so from this I thought it would be cool to have a feature where users of the site can post their reviews and from this everyone can get a better opinion of whether they should by a game or not.
The reson I would like this is a lot of reviews you read are done by people who get paid to do good reviews, so the most real review would come from the many different users who play computer games.
The reviews can be like how the main site is layout e.g. rates the achievements but user can say whether you should rent it or buy it and give reason why they like it.

Most user reviews I've seen have barely gone beyond two paragraphs, and, with only a few rare exceptions, have been pretty poor quality. We take pride in taking our time to write in-depth, comprehensive, and honest reviews. Quality is better than quantity. Would you really prefer 10 one paragraphs "reviews" to one extensive review?

IMHO, most of those people asking if they should get a game didn't read our reviews.

jackanape
02-06-2009, 04:21 PM

Ha ha ha, I know this has already been commented on but you made me laugh anyway. I do reviews in my spare time and buy a lot of the games I review (I paid 50.00 for Army of Two so that it would have a review up within days of launch). I'm not going to say that I don't get the occasional 'review' copy for free but they are often for games I wouldn't have bought in the first place and I rarely sell them on - so there is no real profit.

I gave a game 10% this year. Ten. Percent. Does that sound like a favourable review to you? In fact I also know that certain games have not had a review released because the team felt the score was too high (or in one games case too low).

You make me sad................:p