PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Stickies

Makaveli Rydah
02-06-2009, 05:17 PM
No this isn't a Halo reference :)

I enjoy reading the forums alot - but i don't like scrolling half or 2 thirds down the screen to find the latest posts .
Pretty soon we'll have to go to page 2 to see the latest .

I think a tidy up could help ,
Mak

Creech
02-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Most of the forums are fine, with 3-5 standard stickies. Trust me when I say that us moderators and the admins do discuss the forums with excessive stickies on a regular basis, and do what we can to maintain some semblance of order.

DarkBlackWidow
02-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree some forums do have a ton of stickies but at the same time it's helpful. The important stuff is right there up front, no looking around and "searching" for what you need.

Tomscfc
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
personally i think there isn't enough stickies on some forums because half of the useful things people will and do use is on page 10 etc.
I.e Jaystars guide for activities on Saints Row 2.

Creech
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Feel free to send me a PM with a link and/or description of any thread you feel should be stickied. I will review all of them and stick the worthy ones.

CyanideBreathMint
02-15-2009, 06:14 AM
personally i think there isn't enough stickies on some forums because half of the useful things people will and do use is on page 10 etc.
I can only reply from personal experience, but I disagree. I work in a fairly large head office and used to work in Facilities. I've found over time, putting notes up around the office warning staff about what to do and what not to do tends to eventually get ignored if you put up one too many signs.

Same applies with 'sticky' threads. The eternal problem of nudging members to actually use the search feature...now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. The General Xbox 360 Forum (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=194) has too many stickies IMO and is a prime example. Don't take this observation as a personal attack either, please.

KlicK
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
There are 15 stickies in the General 360 forum. Fifteen. There's a point when stickies become helpful, to downright useless.

I mean, do we really need 3 stickies about avatars?

True I Skill
03-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I do find many pointless stickies. i think there should be mabe a secondary sticky section. When you click on the forums theres a button saying Side stickeys and it has all the once that aint much use put people still use now and again. I also see alot of great threads get lost too when they aint stickied. Then a guide just like it will come out with maybe quater of the work that the guide i saw at first had. i found a gears of war 2 guide before. All the gun tips, was adding map tips. and alot of other tips. that was lost within 2 days.

Sorry didnt see what Creech said.
Ive lost the thread now. it dont rly matter coz i dnt play gears of war 2 anymore tho (: Il send usefull threads i find tho to you.

BooseyGirl
03-08-2009, 04:53 AM
I don't think there are enough stickies (I mean stickies that serve a purpose). However I do think that some of the stickies with non-relevant information should be removed.

CyanideBreathMint
03-08-2009, 06:30 AM
No, there's more than enough sticky threads IMO. It's not the majorities fault if the minority doesn't know how to search, and really, that's 90% the problem right there.

jChaotic
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
The number of stickies before they get too crowded is debatable but do they really need to be on every page in the forum? I click on page 2, scroll past the stickies I've already scrolled past, click on page 3 scroll past the stickies I've already scrolled past twice now, and so on.

Contrah
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Use the New posts feature.

jChaotic
04-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't always sign in as I don't often post.

gatorbait
04-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I've felt this for a while. It's not as bad for most games but like someone said before, General Xbox 360 has 15 stickies and I can guarantee you a number of them aren't that important to have to stick as a reminder for everyone to read up on. I know they are created to cause less clutter so new threads on the same subject don't keep popping up but it becomes a bit of a nuisance when you have to scroll through the stickies everytime you just want to read up on the latest topics. People also need to learn how to use the search function and I bet we wouldn't even be in this mess. It's not a major issue but maybe a few could get the ax here and there.

Biodrive
04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
There is a vbulletin mod that separates stickies from normal topics, I believe implemeting this would start to solve this problem. But that's just me :)

roy1751
04-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I mean, do we really need 3 stickies about avatars?

I came on this thread to post that.

Mantra
04-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I believe a thread named "Stickies" where the stickies of that topic would be
accomodated is a nice solution.

Yes, it would be a big endeavour, but it would slipstream the topics, and save a
few kb's per hit.
Heck, it could even save some bandwidth. :p

EpicGinge
04-18-2009, 12:11 PM
There should be just one part that says 'Stickies', then when you click it the the threads appear below it.

The Pants Party
04-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I've done this for Halo and Fallout 3 recently, and it is done for most of the RPGs on the boards.

If you see any games specifically that could use this treatment, post them.

ilickzombies
08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
one thing I don't like about stickies is that they're on ever page of a forum. for the ones that have a lot(like the general games board), it gets pretty annoying having to scroll down 5 feet past every sticky

edit: forgot to mention other sites can keep their stickies to one page