PDA

View Full Version : How to win a skirmish in under 4 minutes!

-Cameron-
02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
The game has just been released as a demo and people have already found ways to beat the AI in a skirmish 100% of the time, whatever difficulty. Myself included. This guide is my way of defeating the Covenant in under 4 minutes. I call it Marine Rushing.

As soon as the skirmish starts build an elephant via your main base. Whilst that is being built, build 4 Supply drops so you have a steady supply of reasources. Just send your warthog off to collect supplies from around the map, or just leave it where it is if you want. Now as soon as your elephant is built send it to the Covenant base and depoly it as a secondary base, making sure at least two of the Elephants guns can aim at the Covanenants base (The other is for The Prophet of Regret or other troops).

When the elephant deploys just keep a constant supply of marines coming from the elephant and start attacking the base. If any enimies are at the base and your marines are attacking the base and your elephant's guns are occupied then have your warthog ram them down or deploy some Flamethrowers from your main base and bring them down. Keep doing this and as soon as the Covenants base's life get into the red zone, have all of your marines throw grenades at the base to destroy it and if your warthog or flamethrowers have taken out all Covenant units, you will win!

It took me 3 minutes and 50 seconds to win in an easy difficulty skirmish and I have tried it in all three demo difficulties and it works in them too but I didnt time them. So, what do you think?

twilightsniper8
02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
i like to see how long i can hold off covenant rather then win real fast

-Cameron-
02-07-2009, 05:00 PM
i like to see how long i can hold off covenant rather then win real fast Me too, im just saying it can be done. They should have made it so this cant happen though.

twilightsniper8
02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
i want to see what Legendary is like and how long it will take to beat

-Cameron-
02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
i want to see what Legendary is like and how long it will take to beat Same, it will probably take a while

General Khazard
02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I have this same strategy already in my "tips & tricks" section of the review I wrote. Scroll down the front page for the Halo Wars Demo Review and you'll see a covenant rush strategy too.

-Cameron-
02-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I have this same strategy already in my "tips & tricks" section of the review I wrote. Scroll down the front page for the Halo Wars Demo Review and you'll see a covenant rush strategy too. Wow, thats pretty cool! Well you know what they say 'great minds think alike'

Bolt
02-07-2009, 09:35 PM
I wish we had online multiplayer in the demo. test out these strategies on other players :(

Simzo
02-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I wish we had online multiplayer in the demo. test out these strategies on other players :(

Same here, i thought there was online multiplayer when i first downloaded it.

shinobigarth
02-08-2009, 06:58 PM
this doesnt work on Heroic. as soon as i got an Elephant there, they already had 2 turrets built so the Elephant got rocked. Marines didnt even help.

i will try it again cause i bet if i moved the Elephant up a bit it would be out of range of the turrets mostly. nice find OP.

General Khazard
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
this doesnt work on Heroic. as soon as i got an Elephant there, they already had 2 turrets built so the Elephant got rocked. Marines didnt even help.

i will try it again cause i bet if i moved the Elephant up a bit it would be out of range of the turrets mostly. nice find OP.

You have to build the elephant FIRST, before you even make any supply pads. I use the rushing strategy against heroic AI all the time, and I've never had a problem. There's a more detailed version of this strategy here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123797).

shinobigarth
02-08-2009, 10:33 PM
i DID build the Elephant first, set the relay point to the Covie base so the Elephant would go there immediately THEN started building supply pads, so the Elephant was on its way there as soon as it possibly could be, but they still already had turrets up.

it did work on Normal though with no problems. like i said, i will try again on Heroic since i probably just need to position the Elephant better.

General Khazard
02-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I tend to position my elephant far enough back that it can't shoot the base, but it can mow down any units that get produced by the enemy. Takes a bit longer when the elephant isn't helping against the base, but it's safer.

shinobigarth
02-09-2009, 02:07 AM
ok yeah, thats actually a much better idea than sticking the Elephant right next to the base. and if you care to upgrade the Elephant enough so that it can get the extra gun on top (2nd upgrade) i think that gun has longer range so it might be able to hit the base.

also after 4 supply pads, i would say build a reactor, then upgrade the supply pads when you can, then upgrade the reactor, THEN build the barracks so that you can buff up the Marines. if you can then upgrade them to ODST and their base still isnt gone, it will be after that (you may even be able to use the instant ODST drop power, i think it takes 2 Reactor power though). also 1 Spartan (no upgrades) should be good enough to deal with vehicles cause if he can jack a Wraith, that will help protect the Marines and the Elephant much better.

General Khazard
02-09-2009, 04:15 AM
I rarely got above Tier 2 upgrades when I did it, and yeah I built 5 supply pads then a reactor to upgrade them, then the barracks. I also never bothered with any of the elephant upgrades, as the twin engine was worthless to me and the gun on top seemed kind of a waste of resources. My Spartans (of which I built all three) definitely helped with their chain guns, and the one instance in which they built wraiths I jacked the first three they made and never had the opportunity to jack afterwards.

IXISHADOW
02-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Since Legendary difficulty is not playable on the demo maybe you have to complete the campaign on all other difficulties or maybe just beat it once to unlock legendary. Only time will tell.

General Khazard
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Since Legendary difficulty is not playable on the demo maybe you have to complete the campaign on all other difficulties or maybe just beat it once to unlock legendary. Only time will tell.

...or they just didn't want to let us play legendary in the demo so we have something to look forward to in the retail version?

TG Maduin
02-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I never played the demo, but tried this strat in the full game, and it didn't work. Gave it three atempts. First time it nearly worked (think I got the base down to about 25%), but the two next resulted in a blown up Elephant almost before I could set it in place. The Arbiter went nuts on it.
However maybe I didn't play on the right map or something like that. Or maybe they fixed something with the patch that's already out. I'll give it a few more goes though.

But what map is it that you guys have played it on? And which commander did you play as, and against?

General Khazard
02-14-2009, 04:30 AM
I never played the demo, but tried this strat in the full game, and it didn't work. Gave it three atempts. First time it nearly worked (think I got the base down to about 25%), but the two next resulted in a blown up Elephant almost before I could set it in place. The Arbiter went nuts on it.
However maybe I didn't play on the right map or something like that. Or maybe they fixed something with the patch that's already out. I'll give it a few more goes though.

But what map is it that you guys have played it on? And which commander did you play as, and against?

In the demo, we can only play 1v1 on the map at the top of the list (chasms?), it's a pretty small map, so that probably makes a difference. Also, we can only play with Regret or Cutter.

TG Maduin
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Okay, I think that was the map i tried, but I'll have to check to make sure. I figured Cutter just after i posted since I reckon he's the only one who can build the Elephant. But then maybe my mistake was to play against the Arbiter. Haven't really checked out the diffrences between the leaders since I only played one "real" skirmish match so far.

TG Maduin
02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
It worked this time when playing against Regret. He rushed to my base and left his own totally defenseless. So all I had to do was to destroy his faster than he destroyed mine. And that really was no problem at all.

I guess it took about 5 minutes or so. So this strat seems to be working fine even in the full game at Heroic.