PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Achievement Book from X360a.org

Tailz
02-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I wrote a guide that is published on the website that is going to be published in this book. Will i be credited for this in the book somewhere? Kinda only seems fair that the people who wrote the guides should be credited for them? Yes?

narcolepticshee
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I don't know the answer to the original question but I thought I'd add my own to this thread instead of making a new post.

Is there a list of which achievement guides will be present in the guide?

Peace

JC
02-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Nope, unfortunately authors of the guides will not be credited in the book.

Narco, see HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-1093-The-Official-X360A-Guide-Book.html). :)

Tailz
02-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Nope, unfortunately authors of the guides will not be credited in the book.

Narco, see HERE (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-1093-The-Official-X360A-Guide-Book.html). :)

That sucks, X360 benefits from it financially but the people who put the hard work in time and writing them dont get anything? Seems unfair to me...

Maybe we can get a free copy of a book at least? :)

JC
02-08-2009, 11:58 PM
That sucks, X360 benefits from it financially but the people who put the hard work in time and writing them dont get anything? Seems unfair to me...

Maybe we can get a free copy of a book at least? :)
Entering the Birthday Bonanza competition is your only way to get a free copy, it would be nice if all authors got a free copy. But it is up to the publishers how many promo copies are given away.

jackanape
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I asked the same thing - no offence was intended to any of the authors but the book was put together rather rapidly once the idea was mooted and a list of contributors was simply overlooked. If (or hopefully when) another one is published that oversight will be recified.

Plus, the site only gets so many free copies and it seems only fair to give everyone a chance to win one rather than just the authors.

I have a guide in the book and that makes me happy, enough said.

Tailz
02-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I agree, i guess it would be nice that the authors got something. Oh well i guess i'm excited to see my guide in it too.

Purge
02-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Just remmember that there would be no guides without the hardwork put in by the x360a family.

Hopefully I'll receive one of these beauties from the birthday competition. ;)

The Pants Party
02-09-2009, 02:16 AM
X360 benefits from it financially

To be clear, the staff themselves have not profited from this if that's what you're getting at. Any penny that comes into our coffers will go back into server/hosting costs or other financial needs of the site. If anything, our members will be benefiting with the better service and new features we can provide.

The full list of guides can be found here:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1479354&postcount=33

MajinFro
02-09-2009, 02:41 AM
and where is evidence that it's going back to the site? Prima and site took public domain guides and turned a profit on it and you couldn't even give credit to the authors of the guides.

good job guys.

Scotian Bred
02-09-2009, 02:52 AM
That's the thing, once you post your guide on a site doesn't it become property of said site as well as yourself? If yes, permission for redistribution wouldn't really be required would it? Maybe if it was exact word for word, I would think they are slight edits.

If I write a guide here I wouldn't expect to get paid. So if it made it into a book why would I then?

Helping others is why I do what I do. No where in my younger years was I dreaming of a cushy job of being a Video Game Achievement Guide Writer with a big leather chair and lots of Cheetos.

Just feel warm and fuzzy knowing your words are helping others should be payment enough.

I'm sure the books has numerous links back to this site right?

Tailz
02-09-2009, 03:25 AM
I wrote my guides on this site to help others out. I didn't think it would be taken and published into a book where the owners of the site clearly will benefit from. How can you say whoever signed this contract with prima is not getting anything and it "Will go back into the site so our members will be rewarded". I think that is completely BS and i find it rather unfair that the people who spent hours and hours won't even be thanked/rewarded or ANYTHING. I think you are going to see a serious decline in some of the more prominent and extensive guides on this site because of this.

The Pants Party
02-09-2009, 03:47 AM
and where is evidence that it's going back to the site? Prima and site took public domain guides and turned a profit on it and you couldn't even give credit to the authors of the guides.

good job guys.

First off, the fact that you are even accusing us of that is just ridiculous. You're one of our senior members and you know most of our staff well. Don't be an ass. As jack mentioned, the entire process of putting this together was extremely fast and we simply overlooked it. This was literally started and finished in less than two weeks. Sure, Prima made a profit. They'd have no reason to make the book if they didn't. We are not. Do you realize Routine (among others) has been using money out of his pocket to keep this site going for the last three years? Hopefully with this, that won't be necessary anymore.

How can you say whoever signed this contract with prima is not getting anything and it "Will go back into the site so our members will be rewarded". I think that is completely BS and i find it rather unfair that the people who spent hours and hours won't even be thanked/rewarded or ANYTHING. I think you are going to see a serious decline in some of the more prominent and extensive guides on this site because of this.

I can say it because it's the truth. If I'm known for one thing, it is brutal honesty whether people want to hear it or not. And again, we apologize a contributor list was not included but we were on a short deadline and didn't think of it. For the record though, I can pretty much guarantee there will not be a decline in our guides because unlike you and Fro, most of our members recognize the hard work and dedication of our staff, and realize we're not in this to turn a profit or screw people over.

Skillet
02-09-2009, 03:58 AM
When I buy my copy of the book, I'm concluding that the profits are going to Prima for printing it and the rest is going towards keeping the servers alive so the members can continue writing the guides.

The book and the subscribers/donators are what pay for x360a. Sure, the lack of a contributers or authors list is a slight lack of foresight but seriously. Anybody who looks at the book in a store or buys the book in the store and doesn't already know of the site will probably check out the site and/or join up anyway. So they'll know who write the guides around the site and that is the members.

Tailz
02-09-2009, 03:58 AM
First off, the fact that you are even accusing us of that is just ridiculous. You're one of our senior members and you know most of our staff well. Don't be an ass. As jack mentioned, the entire process of putting this together was extremely fast and we simply overlooked it. This was literally started and finished in less than two weeks. Sure, Prima made a profit. They'd have no reason to make the book if they didn't. We are not. Do you realize Routine (among others) has been using money out of his pocket to keep this site going for the last three years? Hopefully with this, that won't be necessary anymore.

I can say it because it's the truth. If I'm known for one thing, it is brutal honesty whether people want to hear it or not. And again, we apologize a contributor list was not included but we were on a short deadline and didn't think of it. For the record though, I can pretty much guarantee there will not be a decline in our guides because unlike you and Fro of our members recognize the hard work and dedication of our staff, and realize we're not in this to turn a profit or screw people over.

I'm not questioning you or your staff's dedication or anything of the sort. I just think it's incredibly selfish that whoever did this totally is ignoring the people that made this book possible. I just find it disrespectful that you say "We didnt think about you", so basically you are saying that we were too worried about making money then to worry about thanking the people who made this possible?

I'm not trying to be rude here, but i just think it's kind of unfair to the people who made it possible. I realize it wasnt your call but if this sells well i'm assuming the admins like Webb and Routine will benefit from this. Just wish there was some compensation (Book,game whatever) its small but is a small reward that says thank you.

Skillet
02-09-2009, 04:08 AM
I'm not trying to be rude here, but i just think it's kind of unfair to the people who made it possible. I realize it wasnt your call but if this sells well i'm assuming the admins like Webb and Routine will benefit from this. Just wish there was some compensation (Book,game whatever) its small but is a small reward that says thank you.

Just my $.02 on this comment. I'm guessing Rx is the only person who is getting ahold of any "profit" from this book. And I also trust that just like the money from the Subscribers and donators, it goes straight to the maintenance and upkeep of the site. Not into his pocket for a round of brewskies.

The Pants Party
02-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Not sure how many times I have to apologize or explain it was just an oversight. If we could go back and do it again, the contributor list would be there.

And once again (you do this often Tailz), you have assumed incorrectly. No single person is benefiting from this. All the money is going back into the site.

Hayden
02-09-2009, 04:31 AM
I was one of the staff member who worked on the guide book and literally in the space of a couple of weeks we had to decide what games where going in, move them all from the site into word, completely re-edit them removing links etc and trust me it took a very very long time.

I gave all this time freely and I also have 2 guides in the book and I don't care that I didn't credit because anything that makes this already great site better, is good in my eyes.

You complain about not getting any "compensation", as Pants has already stated Routine has been running the site himself and the amount of time that Webb puts into the site is just ridiculous, do they get any "compensation" or credit, when was the last time you thanked them???

How about you think of the what's good for the community rather then your own selfish needs.

Tailz
02-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Makes me wonder, do the x360 staff get mentioned...hmmm ?

The Pants Party
02-09-2009, 05:09 AM
No, they don't. Anything else you'd like from us? Want us to admit we were responsible for the holocaust? How about global warming? This isn't some kind of big conspiracy for us to get rich and famous. This was an effort to pay the bills and promote our community.

Tailz
02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
I was kinda hoping you could explain the end of the world

The Pants Party
02-09-2009, 05:53 AM
I could explain the end of your account here if you keep this up.

Anyway, your original question has been answered and this has already gone too far.

:locked

Tron
02-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Makes me wonder, do the x360 staff get mentioned...hmmm ?

the staff as a whole are not attention seeking glory whores, and thus have no problem with it.