PDA

View Full Version : F.E.A.R 2 scare factor?

Absolutionz
02-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Well, enough people have asked me, and I've seen a lot of people asking it on the forums. Is F.E.A.R 2 scary? Is it scarier than the first? So, to make it easier for them just simply cast your vote as to what you think about the scare factor of F.E.A.R 2.

Angel Fire 42
02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
It was very interesting and way scarier than the first and any of the other scary games out there.

KemicalSupreme
02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
I played the first mission last night. Kinda creepy. And jumped when Alma grabbed my face! Cant wait to start digging into this game this weekend.

Atarii
02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
I haven't finished the game yet, but the "jump" moments haven't scared me at all. First, none of the enemies are truly threatening, you never feel as if you could die in the game, so it doesn't give a tense feeling about facing an enemy. Second, the level design is in such a way that you know mostly where an attack or scary moment will come that it ruins any sense of surprise.

I'm disappointed with it :(

KemicalSupreme
02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I haven't finished the game yet, but the "jump" moments haven't scared me at all. First, none of the enemies are truly threatening, you never feel as if you could die in the game, so it doesn't give a tense feeling about facing an enemy. Second, the level design is in such a way that you know mostly where an attack or scary moment will come that it ruins any sense of surprise.

Were you disappointed in the first game also?

Terd!

o0EVIL0o x360a
02-13-2009, 05:27 PM
I appreciated all the scary moments thus far. There are, dare I say, a few more jumps than the original game. I wish the ghosts were more threatening though, and that they would attack from behind at times. That would have added to the scare factor. Also, it's a bit too easy to see the ninjas in this one. Obviously we all have different standards on how scary the game should be and at what points a good jump would fit in.

If you don't use the run button outside of combat and you look in every nook and cranny, you will find extra scare moments in the game, which is rewarding.

Butters
02-13-2009, 06:30 PM

I agree, the difficulty is what adds tension and when hard is like normal from the past games there is no tension. LAME.

ReynoldsM
02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm only halfway through the second chapter so obviously I cant judge it that much yet but I havent found it to be nearly as scary as the first so far.

For one thing I think that the levels are too bright in places and some of the scares are just too damn obvious to surprise me. Having said that, the game is great and I'm looking forward to delving further into it.

StolenKyle/
02-13-2009, 08:45 PM
The elementary school part was messed for me.

laundryman
02-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Meh, kinda scary, but I found it more creepy than the first, not more scary.

Elit3 m0nkey
02-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I appreciated all the scary moments thus far. There are, dare I say, a few more jumps than the original game. I wish the ghosts were more threatening though, and that they would attack from behind at times. That would have added to the scare factor. Also, it's a bit too easy to see the ninjas in this one. Obviously we all have different standards on how scary the game should be and at what points a good jump would fit in.

If you don't use the run button outside of combat and you look in every nook and cranny, you will find extra scare moments in the game, which is rewarding.

The ghosts are some of the scariest enemies in the game. I only played the demo for the first FEAR but from what i have played of this (on CH.11) this deffinitly scary

loverman529
02-14-2009, 11:00 AM
well i pump mine through my sterio and have it loud, i dnt see the point playin a horror game quite, if ya have it quite then i dnt think it scares ya but play it loud and i bet it does. anyway i think this fear is way more scarey than the 1st fear, im on the second chapter and have shite my pants bout 5-10 times.

bloodswan
02-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I never played the first one and maybe because people told me how scary it was I kind of over hyped myself into how scary this would be. It still has it moments though. The whole Elementary school part with the ghosts was one of the edgiest parts I have played in a game for years. I played it a 1 in the morning and I must admit I did kind of fear to walk forward. The Alma parts where she jumps out were well done but being a J/K horror veteran I didn't jump too often. I love the way they put an onryo into a fps. For me the scariest game I have ever played is still the original Project Zero and I think the Silent Hill series are far more unsettling and disturbing than F.E.A.R. 2. That said I loved the game (well the single player at least).

Judivarious
02-14-2009, 01:34 PM
The first games scare factor was scarier by far, and here is why.

In F.E.A.R., you were running around in the weirdest places all the times (Ducts, elevator shafts, dark buildings) and little girl Alma was always running around doing that creepy laugh, now, I don't know about all you, but if I was in a dark warehouse in the middle of nowhere, and I heard a little girl start giggling and slide by a window or something, I would near out s**t myself. Plus, the fact that I watched the movie "The Ring" before, made me think she looked A LOT like Samara, which made me scared of her even more (especially when Jankowski said "There's something in the water". (lol)

F.E.A.R. 2, you have to deal with naked grown up alma a lot more, not only that, at the times you do see little Alma, she has eyes, you can see her face, the F.E.A.R. 1 alma had no eyes (They were black circles) and it really kind of creeped you out. Grown up Alma only scared me like twice in the entire game, and thats because she really isn't that scary....

So, in full, little girls with no eyes are creepy....

By the way, I'm really kind of wondering what happened to this part of the game:

YouTube - Project Origin - Sequel to F.E.A.R - 18min Full Demo

Watch the video up to the end, and you can see the many differences.....the version in the video looks A LOT better....(no offense)

BUCK111
02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Never played the first ones......just the fact that shit pop's on screen can cause you to jump out of your pants....but anyways....i think its more creepy then scary

Atarii
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM

I played F.E.A.R. on PC - but wanted to rent this one for some achievement points - I enjoyed the first quite a bit, this one isn't as good as I had hoped.

killerc0P
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
F.E.A.R 1 = 1 Scary
F.E.A.R 2 = 0 Gay

MDKM 739
02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I just finished the game and I have to say... Nothing about it was creepy or scary at all... Nothing in the game freaked me out at all.l

Fmr. Bertwhistle
02-14-2009, 07:14 PM

Terd!

KS, I believe 'Terd' is spelled Turd. FAIL! Anyway why are you calling him a turd? He has the right to voice his opinion on a 'less-than-mind-blowing' game. As, I too didn't find this game as frightening or as entertaining to play as the original.

ronnycordova
02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I can't say that I'm finding the game all that spooky. If you want to play something scary I think Dead Space takes the cake.

Gackt
02-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Did not find this game scary at all, kind of predictable when things were going to happen... and Alma just isnt scary in my opinion

Muckrak3r
02-15-2009, 01:21 AM
I play the game alone, at night, with the surround sound rocking. The surround sound definitely helps make me jump. The first level by the pool made me yell out a cuss word when Alma scared the crap out of me.

JordanBoi
02-15-2009, 05:15 AM
There are some moments in the game that made me jump its a pretty scary game.:)

asnaz11
02-15-2009, 06:36 AM
I thought the missions were a lot creepier than the first (that isn't to say the first one wasn't creepy), as for "Scary" i wouldn't say so, there were a few pretty scary moments, but most of the game i would describe as "creepy" rather than scary. However, I did jump a lot and swear at the tv screen MANY times.

blackjw23
02-15-2009, 06:50 AM
You have to be open to getting scared. If you go in saying this isn't scary this is stupid your not going to get scared. Though this game isn't as jumpy as the previous I think that you have to play these games with an open mind and make yourself on edge a little. Let the game get into your head. Its like watching a scary movie or going to a haunted house. If you say its fake and don't get into it you won't get into it.

bloodswan
02-15-2009, 07:44 AM
You have to be open to getting scared. If you go in saying this isn't scary this is stupid your not going to get scared. Though this game isn't as jumpy as the previous I think that you have to play these games with an open mind and make yourself on edge a little. Let the game get into your head. Its like watching a scary movie or going to a haunted house. If you say its fake and don't get into it you won't get into it.

Yeh I agree with u on that one. I usually get immersed into whatever game I play unless the story is shit. Thats why people don't get scared or unsettled by Silent Hill games aswell because they play it simply as a game and something that isn't real but if u open up and allow the game to get inside of u and play late at night then the creepiness will start to settle in and I have to say I love the feeling. Try playing the Elementary level in the early hours of the morning with the game sound up and in a silent room. I played alot of the campaign during the day and it really took away the effects but I am so glad I played Elementary late at night.

PureEgo03
02-16-2009, 02:44 AM
I've not found it as scary as the first one, but I think thats because I know what to expect after having played the first one. The atmosphere is certainly creepy, and I've found myself growing increasingly tense as I progress through the game, but not as many genuine "jolts" as I expected to get from it. Not really the games fault though, I'm just used to it now.

WonkyBilly boy
02-16-2009, 03:22 AM
The first games scare factor was scarier by far, and here is why.

In F.E.A.R., you were running around in the weirdest places all the times (Ducts, elevator shafts, dark buildings) and little girl Alma was always running around doing that creepy laugh, now, I don't know about all you, but if I was in a dark warehouse in the middle of nowhere, and I heard a little girl start giggling and slide by a window or something, I would near out s**t myself. Plus, the fact that I watched the movie "The Ring" before, made me think she looked A LOT like Samara, which made me scared of her even more (especially when Jankowski said "There's something in the water". (lol)

F.E.A.R. 2, you have to deal with naked grown up alma a lot more, not only that, at the times you do see little Alma, she has eyes, you can see her face, the F.E.A.R. 1 alma had no eyes (They were black circles) and it really kind of creeped you out. Grown up Alma only scared me like twice in the entire game, and thats because she really isn't that scary....

So, in full, little girls with no eyes are creepy....

By the way, I'm really kind of wondering what happened to this part of the game:

YouTube - Project Origin - Sequel to F.E.A.R - 18min Full Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGX0uQHoa4)

Watch the video up to the end, and you can see the many differences.....the version in the video looks A LOT better....(no offense)

I agree the first one including extraction point was alot creepier, more psychological stuff that really scared me. Like seeing your dead team mates, going through the morgue etc. I gave up on the last 2 play troughs to get achievements cause i just couldn't play it anymore ha.

asnaz11
02-16-2009, 10:40 AM
You know guys, I just realized how many "secret scares" they are. For example, "go here to get ammo and have alma appear suddenly behind you." Open up every bathroom in the hospital level (OH GOD), or every classroom in the elementary school. I heard in one level if you look in a mirror in the bathroom she's crouched behind fire, but if you turn around there's nothing. Stuff like this...read a few here

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=932146&topic=48131514&action=tracktopic

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=932146&topic=48165945