PDA

View Full Version : Evil Germans?

xsni
11-13-2006, 06:53 AM
I was just wondering... why did they have to make the Germans look so darn evil in this game? Whenever you enter one of those shoulder button mashing moments, the evil appearance of the German soldier is undoubtably purposeful.

I'm really not one to complain about unrealism in games, but this aspect annoys me.

Is my opinion reasonable, or is this just a case of unneeded analysis? How do you feel about it?

Fartmaster UEO
11-13-2006, 12:19 PM
I dont think that they needed to enphasize on makig them look so evil. In reality the germans were nice people to talk to and they were intelligent. But once you get to the SS they were Hitler fanatics. The regular Germans were not evil at all. Think about it, they wre forced to fight. They have families just like we do.

xsni
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Exactly. They weren't exactly forced to fight... but who wouldn't have? Germany was in despair after WWI. When Hitler rose to power, he gave them a new hope. However, the following course of events was undoubtably tragic.

Though I still think it's a bit disrespectful to portray the Germans in that manner.

Zef
11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
You don't see your own character's face, so his might too have bad intent plastered upon it.

And Hitler helped bring Germany back from the hell-hole it was because of WWI and the reparations Germany had to pay out. He did go a bit too far trying to eradicate the Jews, but who didn't in those days?

IceWarm
11-13-2006, 06:32 PM
War brings out the worst in people usually. I'm sure your character's face is just as bad looking as the Germans when it is a matter of life or death.

DELTA FOX
11-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Lol yea, very true.

Dont forget this was a loooong time ago and the Germans were forced to fight, as were the British soldiers as were the Americans and everyone else in the war. I'm pretty sure most of the soldiers would have rather not fought in the war and would have rather not had a war altogether.

Darth Odan
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
That was true..Before Poland and the Battle of Britian and Operation Barbarosa...Along with Pearl Harbor...

xsni
11-14-2006, 12:12 AM
War brings out the worst in people usually. I'm sure your character's face is just as bad looking as the Germans when it is a matter of life or death.

No. Take a look at some of the Germans you fight in that face to face combat. They have rotted looking teeth and other exagerated negative features... in a sense it's dehumanizing.

Dont forget this was a loooong time ago and the Germans were forced to fight, as were the British soldiers as were the Americans and everyone else in the war.

I really don't like to look at the soldiers' service in WWII to have been forced on them. True, the United States did have a draft; but in most cases a soldiers service was a result of the duty he felt to serve his country at its time of need. Hence the name of the game. :D Of course that's only an opinion, and it's disputable.

Darth Odan
11-14-2006, 12:16 AM
OH. That...Well yes. They all do, especially the ones in hand to hand.

excessum01
11-14-2006, 06:49 AM
I don't know about you, but I'd make the evilest face possible to scare the enemy when its a matter of me dieing or him. Also, the main bulk of the German army was forced to join, and most of them forced to join were from farms, etc. People back then didn't really care about hygein expecially when they assumed they were dead.

Just IMO.

xsni
11-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Yea. Like I said it's disputable. I still think the designers purposely gave the German soldiers a negative image though.

ll Nitemare ll
11-14-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't know about you, but I'd make the evilest face possible to scare the enemy when its a matter of me dieing or him. Also, the main bulk of the German army was forced to join, and most of them forced to join were from farms, etc. People back then didn't really care about hygein expecially when they assumed they were dead.

Just IMO.

Yeah, I would too.

It's also possible that since they were out in the middle of the battlefield, that they just had other things on their mind other than brushing their teeth. Like trying to survive just like everyone else.

Zef
11-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Yea. Like I said it's disputable. I still think the designers purposely gave the German soldiers a negative image though.

It kind of seems like they made it look like the Americans did everything to win the war as well, everyone else was just crowd control.

COD Americans = :uzi::eek:

COD British, Russians, Canadians and Polish = :drunk

Psycence
11-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Anyone got a screengrab of these evil looking germans?

Be interesting to see

xsni
11-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Anyone got a screengrab of these evil looking germans?

See? His teeth are gross... and on another note. Look at those superb hand designs. Tsk tsk developers.

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/736/736563/call-of-duty-3-20060929052356287.jpg

ll Nitemare ll
11-15-2006, 12:00 AM
That's a face only a mother could love, and yes they could've done alittle better with the hand graphics.

xsni
11-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Here is another example. I suppose it isn't too bad though. In a sense he merely looks battle hardened.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/310/reviews/928655_20061107_screen020.jpg

This next one is quite reasonable... this is what I'd expect from a WWII game.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/235/928655_20060824_screen007.jpg

magictroll
11-15-2006, 03:25 AM
The mass media (movies, games, etc..) is to blame.
They blurr the lines between Nazis and Germans, Communists and Russians/Vietnamese/Koreans, Terrorrists and Muslims.
To a certain extent its understandable, people need bad guys, but its sad that some are not smart enough to see that all people are sheep and politicians/kings/world leaders are simply butchers who send the sheep to slaughter other sheep and to, themselves, die in the process.

Supaaafly
11-15-2006, 04:00 AM
That's a face only a mother could love, and yes they could've done alittle better with the hand graphics.

:biglaugh LMAO, but yeah...looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp!

xsni
11-15-2006, 04:32 AM
To a certain extent its understandable, people need bad guys, but its sad that some are not smart enough to see that all people are sheep and politicians/kings/world leaders are simply butchers who send the sheep to slaughter other sheep and to, themselves, die in the process.

Well said. People always need either someone to hate, or a scapegoat.

"Older men declare war, but it is the youth that must fight and die."
-Herbert Hoover