PDA

View Full Version : Horrible grammar in Achievement Guides

Tailz
02-16-2009, 12:31 AM
While working on some arcade games today i came across a couple of guides that were published on the main page with some of the worst grammar and typos i have ever seen. I don't know if it was done on purpose or someone did not care but it's 3rd grade stuff. Maybe you guys don't review every guide on this site and just publish it to publish it?

Some examples in Geometry Wars 2 ...

Another achievement that is best attempted by trial and error. In King mode you cannot shoot unless you are in one of these zones so what you must do is keep going through every zone as quickly as possible. once you go through a zone another one will usually appear. This starts to get hard after going through about 20 zones because the enemies speed up but do not worry because going through a zone will usually slow them down.

badly typed sentences and bad spelling...

This is one of the hardest achievements as this is the hardest mode in the game. This will take alot of attempts but after enough practise and enough learning of the patterns in each challenge this is definately possible. There are 20 chellenges in sequence which get harder as you go along. For the easier levels try not to use your bombs and if you die carry on anyway for a bit of practise.

challenges and practice spelled horribly wrong?

jorGe62990
02-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Why in the hell would anybody purposely use bad grammar in any guide?

If you find specific spelling/grammar issues in any guide you should post here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5808

Tailz
02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Why in the hell would anybody purposely use bad grammar in any guide?

If you find specific spelling/grammar issues in any guide you should post here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5808

Thats not what i meant, what i meant was how was that missed? it's pretty clear that nobody reviewed that guide when it was submitted.

Pashos
02-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Thats not what i meant, what i meant was how was that missed? it's pretty clear that nobody reviewed that guide when it was submitted.

No, it is what you meant...

I don't know if it was done on purpose or someone did not care but it's 3rd grade stuff.

I don't know how that was missed though. Usually the guide team is really good on catching stuff like that.

Scotian Bred
02-16-2009, 02:15 AM
That guide was obviously put onto the site way before there was a Guide Team. The GT was just started not that long ago.

Everyone on the team works hard, editing, overhauling and sometimes completely redoing the submitted guides. Guides don't just get submitted and flopped onto the main site without going through the above steps.

We're still in the process of redoing some of the older guides. The Guide Team members know these types of guides exist on the site, but it takes time to get around to them, and to correct them.

But as always, if you have an issue with a Guide because of bad spelling or bad errors, then PM a member of the team. You don't need to make a new thread to explain it.

Norman Coxwell
02-16-2009, 02:18 AM
If you can figure out what they mean, why do you care about the grammar? Its just like another language. After maybe reading it once or twice over you'll get what it means and be able to work with it. It's not too big of a problem.

Shelton
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
While working on some arcade games today i came across a couple of guides that were published on the main page with some of the worst grammar and typos i have ever seen. I don't know if it was done on purpose or someone did not care but it's 3rd grade stuff. Maybe you guys don't review every guide on this site and just publish it to publish it?

Another achievement that is best attempted by trial and error. In King mode you cannot shoot unless you are in one of these zones so what you must do is keep going through every zone as quickly as possible. once you go through a zone another one will usually appear. This starts to get hard after going through about 20 zones because the enemies speed up but do not worry because going through a zone will usually slow them down.

This is one of the hardest achievements as this is the hardest mode in the game. This will take alot of attempts but after enough practise and enough learning of the patterns in each challenge this is definately possible. There are 20 chellenges in sequence which get harder as you go along. For the easier levels try not to use your bombs and if you die carry on anyway for a bit of practise.

I would just like to point out that x360a is comprised of people from all over the world. "Practise" is completely acceptable in many places. There are different variations/ways of spelling words depending on where u are.

Humor/Humour

Tire/Tyre

etc.

You obviously know what he/she are talking about in any case. Its a non-issue.

Tailz
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I would just like to point out that x360a is comprised of people from all over the world. "Practise" is completely acceptable in many places. There are different variations/ways of spelling words depending on where u are.

Humor/Humour

Tire/Tyre

etc.

You obviously know what he/she are talking about in any case. Its a non-issue.

no that is not true because they had challenge right in the same paragraph. This game isn't even that old it came out in like November and I'm pretty sure the GT has been around longer then that.

fugitivetoby31
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM

Firstly, it may be wise, to practice what you preach!
It would be easy for others to say that your post was '3rd grade' standard, with the obvious lack of correct punctuation and typographical errors. Do you understand the purpose of comma's ?

Secondly, as someone has already pointed out, there are other acceptable spellings for certain words around the world. Practice/practise are actually both acceptable in 'english'.

Lastly, why not just message someone from the guide team about this, I'm sure they would appreciate any constructive criticism. If this proves fruitless then bring it here for all to see.

The Pants Party
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
God I'm sick of you, Tailz. All you do is go around trying to find ways of accusing the staff here of doing a bad job or screwing over our members. Grow up.

We have a thread specifically for issues like this. It is called "Problem with an achievement guide? Let us know here." So why don't you do that instead of trying to make some big public thing about it over a few tiny typos. Mk, thanks.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57731