PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Rent?

The Lovat Scout
02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I ask this because I don't want to end up spending $60 on it nd never play it again after it's gotten it's 1000GP. I'll use some examples.

Halo 3 - Buy, because of replay value.
Gears of War 2 - Buy, because of replay value.
Prince of Persia - Rent, it was an AMAZING game in my mind, but no replay value whatsoever.

See where I'm going. Now of course, your reviews on my example games will probably be different, and maybe even the exact opposite, but hats not what I'm asking for.

I'm asking if this game is worth spending $60 on, and I'll be playing it long after I've beaten the game.

(I've also read some pretty 'bad' reviews on the game [one being in this messge board] and I played the demo and thought it was pretty good. I'm looking for more of a thriller/scary game like the FIRST suffering, or resident evil, or dead space [kinda] so is it scary at all?)

Deathblow23
02-17-2009, 04:39 PM
Having finished the campaign...and spent quite a while in MP...I would say rent unless you are a huge FEAR fan. The MP achievements are very doable with the exception of 3 that are tied to XP amounts. The XP system itself is absolutely ridiculous. General is the top rank and it requires 1,000,000 XP to reach.

Yes,...you read that right.

IMO though,...the campaign is fantastic! The story answers many questions...and presents a couple more. I think you would enjoy it if you enjoyed the first one. It gives several nostalgic nods to the first game. The difficulty drops off sharply from the first game...but don't let that stop you.

Like I said,...rent it. If you like it...buy it because even if you're a completionist...you won't be getting the full 1K Gscore on this game in a week's rental time anyway.

DeafSunchaser
02-17-2009, 06:46 PM
the poll should have been...

1, RENT
2, BUY
3, DONT BOTHER WITH A SHITASS GAME!

ya know what i would pick LOL (3)

Ev0lon
02-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Rent, I was disapointed especially with MP...

Aghwee
02-18-2009, 03:28 AM
I recently wrote an in detail review that was, sadly, deleted off of the forum.

Summation--if you are a big FPS fan, but not a huge fear fan, coaster this game. Don't bother renting it. If you liked, or LOVED fear 1 then I'd say rent. Maybe, just maybe, buy it.

Ingles
02-18-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm trying to hold off on the MP portion of this game for now. I'd really like to get through the story campaign without having to worry about people in matches talking about the story and how they liked/disliked different parts.

I'm renting the game to decide if I want to buy it. I'm a completionist and a huge F.E.A.R. fan so I'll probably end up buying it but all in all this game is far better than the first. As was mentioned, it answers many questions and leaves you wondering about other things. Definitely a rental, at least at first for many gamers.

Byrney
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I played through the campaign and enjoyed it to an extent, but their is no incentive for me to go back and play through it again. Nothing is tempting me to go play multiplayer either, so i would go with what most have said. If you're a big Fear fan or completionist buy, otherwise rent.

xEndriux
02-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Talking in general the game is good
but I suggest to rent it
you'll never get 1000 cause the MP achievements based on XP but
the campaign is nice to play

o0EVIL0o x360a
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
If you want 1000, you will most definatley need to buy it. It takes like 140 hours for 1K.

asnaz11
02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Honestly, I would buy it. But that's just me. I don't even have Xbox Live, and I purchased it for pull price but I'm still happy as hell. The single player is amazing imo and I don't have Live to try multiplayer (for now), but I'm still not disappointed at all I bought it. The single player campaign is worth playing through many many times.

Absolutionz
02-18-2009, 07:18 PM
If you potentially want to nab the 1000 you NEED to buy it. No way could you 1k this game within a rental period unless you have a few Xbox's and can boost by yourself.

ExCartAttendant
02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I had a 5 day rental on this... after 2 days i need like 4 more achievments...
Hard mode was way too easy..(i wondered why there were so many health packs..i used maybe 2 the whole game)
Overall not worth buying
IMHO

xino
02-19-2009, 02:33 AM
RENT!!!!
I also loved the demo too! Even wrote a bloody 4/5 paragraphs just typing wonders about the game and how I loved it.

Seriously the game is an average. PLEASE Don't touch the multiplayer, it's beyond terrible!
I will only play it again (second time), just to get the Private rank achievement even possibly the kill more and less death achievement.

No the game isn't scary, this is my second play through, playing it with all lights turned off. But it is frightening.

7/10!

The Lovat Scout
02-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, by popular vote, I rented it. I haven't played online yet, but the campaign so far is okay. Not too scary as I would have hoped though...at least not yet.

On a side note, it's very very sad that a lot of games out now are only "rental" games, and hardly any of them people want to go out and actually buy. Sad...really.