PDA

View Full Version : Run to the Hills, Drums

brad soup
02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Kay, I need tips. I can't keep up, the rhythm is too fast and crazy and it's killing me. I can barely survive most of it, but I fail out on the guitar solo. I'm playing on hard, and when the bass notes double up on the guitar solo I fail out if I haven't already, I can sorta just barely hang on through the rest of it. And I've tried playing it slowly and then speeding it up, it doesn't help. Around 70% speed I start missing a quarter of the notes.

SebastianSB
02-22-2009, 06:13 PM
do a forum search. There have been many, many topics about this song.

You'll get faster results probably than you would by waiting for a drummer to come by for tips...the RB1 forums are fairly dead.

brad soup
02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
Could you maybe point me to one? Because I'm obviously retarded and don't know how to use the search feature properly.

SebastianSB
02-22-2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83266&highlight=hills+drums

You might find something there. After looking through a few topics though it looks like no one really has much advice to give...looks like it's a tough song that you just have to practice until you get it. I know there's a strat that involves saving your overdrive so that you get a break every now and then.

TooMuchCowbell
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I found that I just had to fiddle around with the way I was using my hands to pass the song. Whether I'm keeping one hand for red and one for yellow, crossing my hands so my right hand is hitting the red and left on yellow, or keeping both hands on red until a yellow note comes. Just go into practice mode and keep fiddling with it.

NathAttack
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
The red notes represent a 16th note hi-hat pattern in this song. (If this makes no sense to you, sorry, I play drums in real life :P )

Everyone has their own way of playing this song -- The intended, and easiest way, is to alternate your hands on the red pad, and whack the yellow every time it comes around. This way you can preserve the natural sticking on RLRLRLRL (single strokes).

My advice is, if you can hit two overdrive phrases in this song, don't use overdrive until you ABSOLUTELY need to, and take a break during the freeform fill sections. It's cheap, but it works.

TwistedFate
02-24-2009, 02:08 PM
The red notes represent a 16th note hi-hat pattern in this song. (If this makes no sense to you, sorry, I play drums in real life :P )

Everyone has their own way of playing this song -- The intended, and easiest way, is to alternate your hands on the red pad, and whack the yellow every time it comes around. This way you can preserve the natural sticking on RLRLRLRL (single strokes).

He's playing on Hard. That run you are speaking of is triples (RRR-RRY-RRR-RRY with the kick on the last R of every RRR triple) on Hard, so the sticking order is a bit tricky if you don't play irl: RLR-RLR-RLR-RLR.

NathAttack
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Ahh, I didn't realize it was on hard.

Hard Run To The Hills is like expert Hand That Feeds, right?

-o
o-
o-
--
-o
o-
o-
--
-o
o-
o-
--

Am I right?

In that case, its like a gallop pattern, like TwistedFate mentioned, RLR RLR RLR RLR

TwistedFate
02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Ahh, I didn't realize it was on hard.

Hard Run To The Hills is like expert Hand That Feeds, right?

-o
o-
o-
--
-o
o-
o-
--
-o
o-
o-
--

Am I right?

In that case, its like a gallop pattern, like TwistedFate mentioned, RLR RLR RLR RLR

That's close, it's actually

-o-- R R
o--- L L
o--- R R
----
o=== R L
o--- L R
o--- R L
----
-o-- R R
o--- L L
o--- R R
----
o=== R L
o--- L R
o--- R L

=== is the orange bass line

I know NathAttack knows how to stick it but I added the sticking for those that don't play drums to know the way a drummer would tell you to do it. (reverse hands for lefties) The first sticking column is how most drummers would tell you to do because it has you playing the kick along with your dominant hand. Since this song is so fast, an alternate sticking is shown in the second column. The upside to this is that the natural tendency to play alternate hands is preserved. The downfall to this is having to kick along with your non-dominant hand.

IMHO, that charting is harder than the Expert. That little stutter pause for the missing 16th is a bear.

All of this kind of moot though. The part he fails is later in the song, although if he's struggling through this he may not be building up his OD to help him later.

ShadyKav
02-28-2009, 07:42 AM
If all else fails, get someone else to do bass pedal for you.