PDA

View Full Version : New Awards.

pensivedragon
02-25-2009, 06:35 AM
I was looking at the couple of previous posts about new awards and saw you only want awards for stuff that improves the site, so I tried to keep that in mind.

General Awards

Firefighter - Helped put out a flame war. Picture could be a fireman's hat, a water bucket, or a flame.

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?) new member with questions. Picture could be a Lasso or a fence.

Hot Topic - Created a thread that had at least (80?) responses or (5?) pages. Picture could be the thread icon on fire.

Informer - Told people about (5?) interesting news items or good deals. Picture could be of a magnifying glass.

Hancock - Have a great signature OR Created (5?) signatures for other people. Picture could be of a feather quill.

Bibliophile - Combined posts contain over (100,000?) total characters or (20,000?) words. (If you can track that statistic)

Face Off - Posted your picture in the 'Faces of x360a' Thread. Picture could be of a silhouette or generic face.

Opinionated - Voted in (15?) or more polls. Picture could be a mouth shouting.

Census Taker - Created more than (10?) polls with at least (30?) responses.

Panic Button - Reported (5?) posts that were then deleted or edited. Picture could be of a big red button.

Spelling Bee - Your spelling, grammer, and punctuation have been recognized as being well above average in the majority of your posts. Picture could be of a bee or an alphabet block.

Neat Freak -Edited at least (20?) posts.

Boostmaster - Helped boost at least (20?) people.

Now Introducing... - Created a well written and informative introductory post in the Member Profiles forum.

Silly Awards

Emoticon Mania - You use (a lot of/too many) emoticons in the majority of your posts.

Duh-l33t - Numbers are not letters. (for posters prone to using l33t speak or 2 instead of to etc.)

Contest Awards

Best Thread of the month - Voters decided your thread was the best one in a given month.

Signature of the Month - Voters decided you had or created the best signature in a given month.

Quote of the Month - Voters decided you had the best quote in a given month. (this would be for the most memorable/funny/intelligent comment a member made in a post.)

Whew! That took a while to think of all those. I hope they are along the lines that you want new awards to be. If so, I will try to come up with some more.

But before I go, have you ever thought of doing 'Anti-awards'? These awards could be temporary, and would give incentive for the receiver to mend their ways.

Anti-Awards

Pyromaniac - Started or participated in a flame war.

pH4i1Ure 2 C0mUn1k8 - Majority of posts have terrible spelling and grammar.

Can of Spam - Spammed posts.

Where am I? - posted into the wrong board or thread at least (3?) times.

*Edit*
Here are some more I thought of...

Teachers Pet - Posted (5?) mistakes that were then fixed to the 'Found any typos?' thread.

Hayden
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I was looking at the couple of previous posts about new awards and saw you only want awards for stuff that improves the site, so I tried to keep that in mind.

General Awards

Firefighter - Helped put out a flame war. Picture could be a fireman's hat, a water bucket, or a flame. Report and let a mod sort out

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?) new member with questions. Picture could be a Lasso or a fence. People should want to help new members not just beacuse of an award

Hot Topic - Created a thread that had at least (80?) responses or (5?) pages. Picture could be the thread icon on fire. Topic with the most spam???

Informer - Told people about (5?) interesting news items or good deals. Picture could be of a magnifying glass.Again shouldn't need an award for being helpful

Hancock - Have a great signature OR Created (5?) signatures for other people. Picture could be of a feather quill. SOTF??

Bibliophile - Combined posts contain over (100,000?) total characters or (20,000?) words. (If you can track that statistic) Pointless

Face Off - Posted your picture in the 'Faces of x360a' Thread. Picture could be of a silhouette or generic face. .......:confused:

Opinionated - Voted in (15?) or more polls. Picture could be a mouth shouting. Pointless

Census Taker - Created more than (10?) polls with at least (30?) responses. Pointless

Panic Button - Reported (5?) posts that were then deleted or edited. Picture could be of a big red button. An award that says you have reported posts??? reports are anonymous for a reason ;)

Spelling Bee - Your spelling, grammer, and punctuation have been recognized as being well above average in the majority of your posts. Picture could be of a bee or an alphabet block. Everyone should strive for this ayway

Neat Freak -Edited at least (20?) posts. People will just edit posts unnecisarily for the award

Boostmaster - Helped boost at least (20?) people. You should want to help boost as you are haleping yourself ;)

Now Introducing... - Created a well written and informative introductory post in the Member Profiles forum. Should be par for the course

Silly Awards

Emoticon Mania - You use (a lot of/too many) emoticons in the majority of your posts. BAN HAMMER

Duh-l33t - Numbers are not letters. (for posters prone to using l33t speak or 2 instead of to etc.) BAN HAMMER

Contest Awards

Best Thread of the month - Voters decided your thread was the best one in a given month. Popularity contest, wouldn't work

Signature of the Month - Voters decided you had or created the best signature in a given month. SOTF

Quote of the Month - Voters decided you had the best quote in a given month. (this would be for the most memorable/funny/intelligent comment a member made in a post.) Popularity contest, wouldn't work

Whew! That took a while to think of all those. I hope they are along the lines that you want new awards to be. If so, I will try to come up with some more.

But before I go, have you ever thought of doing 'Anti-awards'? These awards could be temporary, and would give incentive for the receiver to mend their ways.

Nothing gives more incentive then in infraction or the threat of the ban hammer

Anti-Awards

Pyromaniac - Started or participated in a flame war. Infraction

pH4i1Ure 2 C0mUn1k8 - Majority of posts have terrible spelling and grammar. Infraction

Can of Spam - Spammed posts. Infraction

Where am I? - posted into the wrong board or thread at least (3?) times. Infraction

*Edit*

Teachers Pet - Posted (5?) mistakes that were then fixed to the 'Found any typos?' thread.

Just my thoughts :p

Shelton
02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Some interesting awards you've come up with, but the system would too easily be abused.

Plus, considering how many users this site has and the amount of awards u suggested, thats a lot more work for mods/admins. Their time is probably better spent elsewhere.

I did enjoy reading them however. Very creative.

Mantra
02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I love Spelling Bee.
This is one award that would be great.

KFZ Scrubs
02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
.... i think your basing your awards off of achievements. Lots of pointless easy ones that could easly be obtained with little to no effort or by spamming/boosting

dakisbac
02-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I agree about the spelling bee award. Usually if I reread my post after posting it and realise there's an error, I'll edit it just to correct it.

pensivedragon
02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Just my thoughts :p
Ouch! It would have been nice to get a least a bit of encouragement... All that work and you did not even think a single one was going along the right lines? You put words beside all of my suggestions, but they all amount to, No. Could you at least say if some of them MIGHT work if modified? Or if none can even be modified, could you point to the ones that are going in the right direction?

Some interesting awards you've come up with, but the system would too easily be abused.

Plus, considering how many users this site has and the amount of awards u suggested, thats a lot more work for mods/admins. Their time is probably better spent elsewhere.

I did enjoy reading them however. Very creative.
It was never my intention for all, or even most, of these awards to be implemented. I thought up this many for people to comment on so I could get a handle on just what kinds of awards they would want. Then I can either come up with some new ones along those lines or modify my existing ideas to conform more with them.

.... i think your basing your awards off of achievements. Lots of pointless easy ones that could easly be obtained with little to no effort or by spamming/boosting
Of course I am basing them off achievements. What are the vast majority of the users of this site interested in? And as for how easy they are, that is why I put the number and a question mark. I had no idea what would be a good number for any of them so I just guessed and put that number there, with the intention that it would be changed later to something difficult or worthy.
Also, with a little more effort and some incentive I can likely modify most of the awards to not be spammable.

I love Spelling Bee.
This is one award that would be great.

Thanks, it is my favorite as well. I have noticed that the spelling on this site is... well. Not very good for most people, downright bad for others. A little incentive might help some more shape up. If not, it would recognize the effort of those that make reading the site bearable with their proper spelling.

Now for some specifics.

General Awards

Firefighter - Helped put out a flame war. Picture could be a fireman's hat, a water bucket, or a flame. Report and let a mod sort out
*It was a silly Idea to start with, just something to get my thinking juices flowing. I will delete it.*

Noob Wrangler - Greeted (30?) new members OR Answered/Assited (10?) new member with questions. Picture could be a Lasso or a fence. People should want to help new members not just beacuse of an award.
*People should, and people do, but not all that many actually bother to. So is there anything wrong with giving a little regocnition to the ones that make new members feel at home and welcome?*

Hot Topic - Created a thread that had at least (80?) responses or (5?) pages. Picture could be the thread icon on fire. Topic with the most spam???
*Interesting topics build comunity, making people want to check and post to the forums more. Any large thread will have a certain amount of spam on it, but it could be a requirement of the award that at least a certain percentage of the topic would need to be good posts. Also, it dosnt have to be for just one thread, maybe it could be for like, 5 or more threads, to make it more difficult.*

Informer - Told people about (5?) interesting news items or good deals. Picture could be of a magnifying glass.Again shouldn't need an award for being helpful.
*People should not need an award for donating to the site, or posting 1000 posts either, but it is still nice to have. Besides, by bringing news items to THIS site, people do not have to go elseware to find out whats new for the xbox. And they help build the community be giving people a topic to sound-off on. And, like all my suggestions the number required is totally open to be changed to make it more difficult.*

Hancock - Have a great signature OR Created (5?) signatures for other people. Picture could be of a feather quill. SOTF??
*When looking at the awards page, I had no idea what SOTF was. So I did not realize there already was a kind of award for this. I still like my name better though :). I will delete it.*

Bibliophile - Combined posts contain over (100,000?) total characters or (20,000?) words. (If you can track that statistic) Pointless
*So is 10,000 posts. This has the advantage of showing who actually makes good and long responses and does not spam, assuming this statistic can be tracked.*

Face Off - Posted your picture in the 'Faces of x360a' Thread. Picture could be of a silhouette or generic face. .......:confused:
*It sounded like a good idea at the time, and I still think it has some merit. Just posting your picture in that thread is a bit too easy though, maybe it could be combined with 'Now Introducing...'?*

Opinionated - Voted in (15?) or more polls. Picture could be a mouth shouting. Pointless

Census Taker - Created more than (10?) polls with at least (30?) responses. Pointless

Panic Button - Reported (5?) posts that were then deleted or edited. Picture could be of a big red button.An award that says you have reported posts??? reports are anonymous for a reason ;)
*All right, I will give you that. Deleted*

Spelling Bee - Your spelling, grammer, and punctuation have been recognized as being well above average in the majority of your posts. Picture could be of a bee or an alphabet block. Everyone should strive for this ayway
*But they don't, they REALLY don't.*

Neat Freak -Edited at least (20?) posts. People will just edit posts unnecisarily for the award
*Granted, this one is probably unfeasable.*

Boostmaster - Helped boost at least (20?) people. You should want to help boost as you are haleping yourself ;)
*What if the award was changed to helping boost people in games you have already completed?*

Now Introducing... - Created a well written and informative introductory post in the Member Profiles forum. Should be par for the course
*It SHOULD be, but it most certainly is NOT. I have greeted over 40 new members, and only a handful had anything more than a paragraph of introduction. Many had only 2 or 3 lines.*

Silly Awards

Emoticon Mania - You use (a lot of/too many) emoticons in the majority of your posts. BAN HAMMER

Duh-l33t - Numbers are not letters. (for posters prone to using l33t speak or 2 instead of to etc.) BAN HAMMER

*HARSH! You ban people just for using Emoticons and l33t speak!?!*

Contest Awards

Best Thread of the month - Voters decided your thread was the best one in a given month. Popularity contest, wouldn't work

Signature of the Month - Voters decided you had or created the best signature in a given month. SOTF
*Did not know what SOTF was, Deleted.*

Quote of the Month - Voters decided you had the best quote in a given month. (this would be for the most memorable/funny/intelligent comment a member made in a post.) Popularity contest, wouldn't work

*So... member of the month is NOT a popularity contest? And besides, what is wrong with a popularity contest? You have all these tournaments of skill, why not a few contests of popularity?*

Anti-Awards

Nothing gives more incentive then in infraction or the threat of the ban hammer
*I am not disputing that, but could these not be handed out alongside of any warnings given?*

Pyromaniac - Started or participated in a flame war. Infraction

pH4i1Ure 2 C0mUn1k8 - Majority of posts have terrible spelling and grammar. Infraction

Can of Spam - Spammed posts. Infraction

Where am I? - posted into the wrong board or thread at least (3?) times. Infraction

*Edit*

*At the very least this one should be ok, as it is TOTALLY along the lines of submitting unknown achievements. This improves the site, not the forum (which you dont seem to like :confused:)*

Minty
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I stopped reading when you accused the two people with 10k posts of spamming tbh.

Agree with Hay.