PDA

View Full Version : Annual Community Award Ceremony

devlin
02-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Before I start, I did a thorough search, and couldn't find anything specific to what I'm proposing.

This idea refers to an annual (yearly) award ceremony, celebrating the outstanding members of the community for the past year. You could probably call it Member of the Year, but there will be various awards. Basically around December 09, you will look back throughout the year on the board, talk amongst the staff and gather up a decent amount of outstanding members. Then on New Years day, announce the winners.

Awards such as:
Top Poster/Contributor (quality posts)
Best Moderator
Best guide submitter
Best review writer
Most helpful member
Newcomer of the year
other can be brainstormed if idea is used

The idea is to give back to the members who have stuck by the site throughout the year and have shown their loyalty and devotion. It's also an event for the members to look forward too and is an incentive for them to get more involved in the community.

I used to run a community, and these awards were an anticipated event. We used to give out prizes such as rapidshare accounts, xbox gold memberships, paypal money etc. However how you handle your prizes is up to the admins.

Now if this idea is actually already an annual thing then I'm going to look stupid, however I couldn't find anything that indicated that this idea has been proposed or is already in use. So shoot me down if I am wrong :P

Let me know what you think.

antnie
02-25-2009, 10:27 PM
I think it is a good idea, except for the top poster. If the award you are talking about, is given to the person with he most posts, the site will just have spamming in every thread. All in all, great ideal.

devlin
02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I think it is a good idea, except for the top poster. If the award you are talking about, is given to the person with he most posts, the site will just have spamming in every thread. All in all, great ideal.
Thats why I put "top poster/contributor". I'm talking about the members with the most quality posts. And not one word spam every reply.

M85A21
02-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Adam Miller or Weapon would win that.

RuggersAssassin
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Its a decent idea. I think in other threads they just said it would be too hard to pick out those few people out of the huge community we have here. I like the idea but it would take a lot of work from administrators. They would have to find a "fair" way off doing it. It would be hard to spot out some people unless they patrol every forum and check each member a lot. It just seems confusing and a lot more work is behind it.

Minty
02-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Fine when you have a small community, no chance when you have over 30k active members

M85A21
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
what about you only take the people with over 1000 posts when it comes to that 1st award? Or most.

RuggersAssassin
02-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Fine when you have a small community, no chance when you have over 30k active members

Called it. :p

what about you only take the people with over 1000 posts when it comes to that 1st award? Or most.

Thats a good idea. It would be unfair to those who do contribute though that just do not like to post alot. A high post count going to 1,000 does not mean you should have more chances of getting an award in my opinion. It does show involvement though and somewhat dedication to the site though. I'm really not sure about this...

devlin
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Its a decent idea. I think in other threads they just said it would be too hard to pick out those few people out of the huge community we have here. I like the idea but it would take a lot of work from administrators. They would have to find a "fair" way off doing it. It would be hard to spot out some people unless they patrol every forum and check each member a lot. It just seems confusing and a lot more work is behind it.
Two good points, but I believe if all the staff are hands on them all important outstanding members can be found. If someone isn't pointed out by more than 3 or 4 staff members, then they obviously aren't eligible or valid for an award.

Another way around it is (probably a long shot). Recruiting a specific team, to keep an eye out for these people. Keep the team a secret though, consisting of say a minimum of 10 members(?).

If thought about thoroughly, it could make a very good addition to the site. If not, one of the best additions/features.

Minty
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
What you're suggesting is a popularity contest. Has been suggested before, and was turned down then as well ;)

RuggersAssassin
02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
I like the idea. I don't think they are up for setting up and organizing a community awards team. That job would biased. I mean you would keep an eye out, but it depends what day and time you check. Members post at different times and not everyday. The chances just don't seem equal and bias to the site by who is choosing them even if they are unidentified. How will they be credited? No one wants to do a job and not be rewarded for it nowadays...Its a tough subject and confusing matters...

devlin
02-25-2009, 11:06 PM
What you're suggesting is a popularity contest. Has been suggested before, and was turned down then as well ;)
I like the idea. I don't think they are up for setting up and organizing a community awards team. That job would biased. I mean you would keep an eye out, but it depends what day and time you check. Members post at different times and not everyday. The chances just don't seem equal and bias to the site by who is choosing them even if they are unidentified. How will they be credited? No one wants to do a job and not be rewarded for it nowadays...Its a tough subject and confusing matters...
Yeah I suppose. Again thanks for the feedback. Great idea in theory though.

Scotian Bred
02-26-2009, 12:55 AM
The best idea is to do all of those you mentioned above, without receiving an award.

The Staff here at x360a don't get paid for what they do, nor do the regular members. We receive that good feeling that comes with helping out fellow gamers. I'm Canadian so that helping out part just comes natural.

Site awards are good and all, but somethings just need to be done because that's how it should be done.

Pashos
02-26-2009, 01:01 AM
The Staff here at x360a don't get paid for what they do, nor do the regular members.

Really? You don't get paid? I get $10 for every 100 posts and I hear that the staff get $25 every time they infract or ban someone.

Seriously though, you shouldn't need any incentive to do good things. Also, if members voted on these, it would be way to easy to forget about someone because there are so many members, and it would just be a popularity contest because people would just vote for their friends.