PDA

View Full Version : Advice from someone who has finished 4-star general...

lifeexpectancy
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Firstly, the title is such because as of later tonight, I'll be done with it so no need to edit later.

To all those aspiring to get the 4-star general achievement, I would say to you this: get out, get out while you still can!

Before you flame me for wanting fewer people to do it and make it more elite let me say this: I could care less how many people have it. I don’t care about the leaderboards. Most of us don’t. Vicente and I will be trying to reach 1million exp in the same match together tonight. My gamercard is for me and me alone. After I make 4-star tonight I will be spending the next week or two helping the core group of us that boosted together finish it. I only warn you away because unless you are an obsessive completionist, this achievement just is NOT worth it.

Under OPTIMAL conditions, getting 4 matches in every single hour, it still takes between 100-120 HOURS of SOLID boosting to finish this achievement. Now factor in random people joining your lobby, some of whom are unwilling to leave, as well as people in the group getting tired, leaving, giving up, getting in fights and not playing together, etc and you’re stretching it into the 150+ hour territory.

This achievement will drain your life away. It has left me so rag-dog tired (and I still have to finish it tonight) that I don’t want to SEE an Xbox 360 for several days after I finish it so I’m going out of town for the weekend. If you can manage to boost it CASUALLY, a little at a time, that would be spectacular but the bottom line is most people who want it don’t want to stop till they get it which means you’ll have to go ironman on it too, nonstop.

For those of you wanting to get it, good luck and god speed. My one piece of advice would be to please try not to get in other boosters’ way, refusing to leave their matches if they ask you to. If people work together it goes SIGNIFICANTLY faster, as our main group of guys has known and thus acted accordingly.

Also for anyone whose messages I have ignored asking how to do it, I apologize but when you’re trying to maximize points per hour, there is zero time to answer dozens of messages. Good luck and god speed!

Congratz btw to Sinless Deeds for being the first to 1k Fear 2: PO by PLAYING the game. Gamesavers/hackers can rot lol.

Diesel8590
02-26-2009, 11:52 PM
150+ Hours? Jeeeeesus.

I'll play the FEAR2 MP, but I doubt it'll be for that long. *whistles*

iiTz
02-27-2009, 04:35 AM
150+ Hours? Jeeeeesus.

I'll play the FEAR2 MP, but I doubt it'll be for that long. *whistles*
Worst part is I would say a grizzy fear vet will do it in 250 hours legit if not longer.

Deathblow23
02-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Lifeexpectancy...I have nothing but respect for you. If you remember, I boosted with you really early on in this process...but I just couldn't stay with it because there are so many other games that I WANTED to play at the time. I respect ANYONE who can stay the course on this one because it is truly an exercise in mental focus...as well as an exercise in total teamwork.

Congrats to you and anyone else in that first crew who were/are grinding it out!!!

KemicalSupreme
02-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah not interested in this 1000 gamerscore. I dont have that many hours to waste during the week. Im trying to get 10th pristege on COD WAW!

o0EVIL0o x360a
02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Good job Life, can't wait for you to come back and help my ass out later. I'm getting really burned out on this as well. Sucks I can't play for 20 hours at a time and get it done faster, but I'm doing the best I can without getting divorced. lol

lifeexpectancy
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah man. I'm actually only going to Austin this weekend so I'll probably be helping Vicente and Sinless work on the other guys, including you hopefully, late saturday night after my girl goes to bed. I hit it this morning LONG after I expected to due to the circumstances of play tonight, but at least I hit it and Sinless helped me finish it off.

To the guy who said someone could do it legit in 250 hours.... no way. Simply not going to happen unless they up the exp gained or have double exp weekends or something. Doing it legit would probably take at LEAST 500 hours of play I would imagine. I'm just guessing, but seeing as we rarely average 10,000 exp per hour, more like 8000 to 9000 per hour on a GOOD night (due to wasted time in between matches mostly), a legit player is probably gonna average ~2000 exp per hour. That's if they're good. That means it should be 4-5 times as long as what we did.

If people want to make it legit that's up to them, but I didn't even want to waste 120 hours of my life on this thing, much less 500 hours. The only saving grace is that I met cool people like Sinless, Evil, Vicente, Tidus, Fox, and all the others (you know who you are!).

squid5580
02-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes that is the one good thing about this is I have met some cool ppl doing this. Ran into some D-Bags as well but the cool ones far outnumber them.

Oh and just a little tip for those who are still going for it. If you run into a group who insists on wasting hours in the lobby trying to get 8 ppl when you already have 4 or more move on. It isn't worth wasting a half an hour between every match for the little extra xp you can get.

sinlessdeeds
02-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Well said life, this achievement drained every ounce of all of our strength and energy and im just glad to finally be done with it. Dont forget we are still bending over for evil and everyone else who bent over for us =P gotta help our peoples lol

sorrynomeansno
03-01-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm at 100.000 so there is no turning back now. And, nicely put Squid.

DrJonan
03-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm not going to spend time on this achievement. I'll try and get all the achievements in this game except the last rank and obviously the one of getting all the achievements...

braddelo
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
MP achievements are absolute shit! Look at what it does to us poor achievement whores! It either makes us destroy our sleep cycles and make our heads explode or we completely throw away the idea of attempting it. These games are A+ examples of what NOT to do with achievements.

MoOOose
03-02-2009, 05:28 AM
how bad is it compared to gear's seriously 2.0

sorrynomeansno
03-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Seriously 2.0 would take you at least 12 hours, if you kept repeating the Brumak level. Where Five Star General will take you about 150 hours.

KemicalSupreme
03-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Its awesome that you guys who got the 1000 gamerpoints on this took the time to get it. I dont think I could. This game is much to slow. The gameplay of multiplayer is very slow and the kills dont count for much!

UkBull3t
03-02-2009, 04:33 PM
ur a fag u didnt even help any off us you got 1m xp and played like 1 more and left

o0EVIL0o x360a
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Life has come on for a few occasions to help out his FEAR2 Clan. (lol)

In other news, I hate DF Legend the prick he keeps passing me on the leaderboard!!

A 2rue boofer
03-03-2009, 03:30 AM
lol evil I played like 5 boosting matches with you my thing with this achievement is If I play 5-10 hours of in game time a weekend not boosting I will have it in around 5-8 weeks I have to big of a life to sit down a whole weekend and pound this out for many days.... but good luck to you all who will try :)

o0EVIL0o x360a
03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Well the reason I don't have it like the other 7 is that I have to sleep and go to college as well as hang out with my family. Those other guys put thier lives on hold to get this achievement. lol

xEndriux
03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I stopped to 810 points
I'll not go for 1000 for this game
the MP is not so nice to play and I don't want to spend my time for an absurd
1milion exp points

Thicketford
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
This is why I hate multiplayer achievements. It's going to be even harder in a years time when no one is playing online.

lifeexpectancy
03-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Ukbull3t I don't even recall ever boosting with you. And if I did, it wasn't for very long. I've stuck around and helped boost some of the core group of guys I played with. Not as much as Sinless or Vicente, my hat's off to those 2 guys, but i owed my fiancee some time or I wouldn't still have one. And ya know what? After I help them some more this week once I'm off of these 12 hour shifts at work and the last one of our core group gets to 1mil, I'm mailing this game back to gamefly until DLC is out. Those of us who hit 1million don't OWE anyone anything except for the select few who helped us out above and beyond just straight boosting. Anyone else we boosted with got the same exact amount of experience we did during those minutes/hours, so to try to act like any of us owe them something is just plain silly.

I posted this thread in good faith. I hope your negativity won't derail it. To all the others still going for this godforsaken achievement, good luck and don't give up if you really want it!

FoX I tD
03-05-2009, 12:48 AM
good job life and i wanna thank everybody that help me to get this and im not gonna quit till Evil Scofi3ld and Tidas get it. but yeah this achievement can ruin your life lol but is worth it

Eternal
03-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Props to you guys for getting the achievement. My eyes aren't set on the achievement :p

SN4K3E4T3R
03-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Quick qeustion: How do you boost in Fear 2?

Do you just keep running towards each other and kill in turns?

Thanks in advance,

squid5580
03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Very well said Life very well said.

No SN4K3E4T3R you don't kill. What you do is get into AF on meltdown with a group of 4 or more. Decide where you want to meet (either CP 1 or 5). The team on the opposite side of where you guys decide to meet caps all 4 control points and turns the last one blue (to nuetralize it) and backs off. Then the other team caps it and backs off. Rinse and repeat and at 7:40 min (roughly give or take depending on team sizes and who hasn't fallen asleep so they can still tell time) you run to the other side of the map while the team that was capping takes all the CPs except for the last and nuetralizes for you. Easy, long and the most boring thing you have probably ever done.

Bruk
03-13-2009, 05:48 AM
I'm still crossing my fingers for an XP glitch. Come on dammit! :P

TESTUBE BABY 82
03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
1 million seems so much and it is just think of satisfaction we will get when we do get it im nearly 200000

UkBull3t
03-17-2009, 09:21 PM
well i finished this achievement 1 week ago :)

TESTUBE BABY 82
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
well i finished this achievement 1 week ago :) ya i know cause we helped u get your achievement and once u got it u stopped playing.thats what we get for helping u .you dont repay the favour

A 2rue Beast
03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
ya i know cause we helped u get your achievement and once u got it u stopped playing.thats what we get for helping u .you dont repay the favour

Is that a joke? Were you not getting points while you guys were boosting? If you were a perma shafter the whole time then he should repay the favor, but if you were both getting points you should not expect him to boost you to a million just because he finished first.

TESTUBE BABY 82
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Is that a joke? Were you not getting points while you guys were boosting? If you were a perma shafter the whole time then he should repay the favor, but if you were both getting points you should not expect him to boost you to a million just because he finished first. well i dunno bout you but if somebody helps u get an achievement u should repay the favour.the guys im boosting agree and we have come to the point where we are not taking anymore people because of this .if somebody helps me gat an achievement ill help them no matter how long its takes thats just me im a decent guy.not like some people out there .anybody else come across idiots like that

ankle_spawn
03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
everybody had hid share of pricks, im sure, but i believe that equal help is conceivable only when ppl start to boost together. im sure thats what you meant, i wish just to point out that is quite weird to think that you should spend hours helping somebody who's helped you for a while, but is very far from getting the same achie.

let me explain it with figures, my english may not be top notch:
a couple of days ago i boosted for 1000 mp matches in fear with a guy; we played few hours then he said he got it; he was very kind to ask how much more i needed it, but when i realized i missed around 700, how in the world was i supposed to ask for his help? he was for sure over 800 when we matched, while i was down on the ground. that's the point, you can ask, even yell for returning the favour when both people have the same starting point, or about so. otherwise there's nothing else you should think about but finding another boosting partner, imho :)

AcidGlowx81
03-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe you should've took turns each match on the opposite team getting more points. That could've been agreed upon during setup to avoid problems like these.

squid5580
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Maybe you should've took turns each match on the opposite team getting more points. That could've been agreed upon during setup to avoid problems like these.

That doesn't really work since there is no way to set the teams (well other than playing around in the lobby and hoping to get lucky). When you are boosting this you are getting around the same xp as everyone else. Sure there is a bit of discrepancy from one match to the next if someone isn't keeping track of the time or you aren't getting into the CP zone fast enough. These are minor though (under 50 points usually) and it normally works out in the end since one time you may be on the lower team but you could be on the higher team the next.

You just can't fault a person you have been boosting with when they get it b4 you and quit unless you have been there for every match with them. I was with a solid boosting team for the most part. 2 guys I was with we boosted all the non rank achs together and we did alot of rank boosting together. Unfortunately they weren't always on when I was so I had to recruit/find others to boost with and I am sure they did the same when I wasn't on. By the ned of mine I was at least 12 hours above the lowest one. And they had a good 10 man team after I left anyways so there was no need for my help. And I would be taking the spot of another who needed it. The only way anyone should feel a twinge of guilt is if you are strictly running a 4 man team and the first one who gets it bails. Other than that it is fair to let the people who put in the time off the hook even if they were with you for a long time.

TESTUBE BABY 82
03-20-2009, 11:53 AM
well that person wouldnt of got the achievement if you didnt help and if they dont repay the favour then its wrong

squid5580
03-21-2009, 04:08 AM
well that person wouldnt of got the achievement if you didnt help and if they dont repay the favour then its wrong

There is no favors with this ach. It isn't like 1 kills the other 10 times then the roles are reversed here. Every match you do together is equal (unless you are perma shafting which is a different story). No one helped anyone during it. You r there you get the points, if you aren't then you don't. You can't expect another to invest another X amount of hours into it when you took a night off for whatever reason. I can understand if we are talking a match or 2 but after putting in 150+ hours how can you possibly expect them to put in another 10 to 20 hours to get yours?

TESTUBE BABY 82
03-21-2009, 09:51 AM
There is no favors with this ach. It isn't like 1 kills the other 10 times then the roles are reversed here. Every match you do together is equal (unless you are perma shafting which is a different story). No one helped anyone during it. You r there you get the points, if you aren't then you don't. You can't expect another to invest another X amount of hours into it when you took a night off for whatever reason. I can understand if we are talking a match or 2 but after putting in 150+ hours how can you possibly expect them to put in another 10 to 20 hours to get yours? at least there are a few decent gamers out there .it will come back and haunt him

squid5580
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Haunt who? Life Expectancy? Cuz if memory serves me correctly UK was down at least 200 000 when Life was in the millionaire club. And it takes about 12 hours of solid no time lost in the lobby boosting to get 100 000.

King Grimmjow
04-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Wow thanks for the heads up, I most definatly wont even think of trying it now

Vindicator51
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Sounds like one of those 500 ranked matches i never got in UT3 due to popularity being low.

DARKNESS111
09-03-2009, 08:48 AM
fuck playing online ive got better things to do :uzi: 4 star general

xEndriux
09-03-2009, 09:11 AM
I understand what you mean and it is absurd when they give us such a stupid achievements like that and like level 100 in gears 2

AcidGlowx81
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM

I disagree. If player 1 spent more time boosting while player 2 was off playing another game, then when they meet up some other day, player 1 gets it and player 2 expects player 1 to keep boosting so he can get it even though they have BOTH been boosting the same amount when they were together? no, when one boosts, they all boost at once pretty much, unless player 2 decides to boost but just sits there...

lifeexpectancy
09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Testtube I know it's been forever since your little rant on here but let me just say this. I stuck around as much as possible, work permitting, to help those that were 100,000-200,000 exp behind me make it to 4 star. However, given that we didn't permashaft except for a select few instances when a few of us were spitting distance to 4-star, we didn't "owe" anyone anything. Everyone was earning the same exp the entire time and those that perma shafted Vicente or my last little bit of exp got the favor returned. The rest of the boosting, no one was doing anyone any favors. We were all earning exp equally. You're saying I should stick around because someone shows up and boosts my last 100,000 exp with me and he just started, so I should stick around for another 900,000 exp with him when we were earning equal exp every match? Um, no.

McKaystyles
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
how much is the achievment worth?

McKaystyles
09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
dude, dlc just cam eout

A 2rue boofer
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
watch out for double posting man not good but yes new DLC came out today.

XI AlphaMale IX
09-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Damn, why the hell does the roadmap say 25+ hours if it's closer to 10 times that???

Malak101
09-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Damn, why the hell does the roadmap say 25+ hours if it's closer to 10 times that???

The reason why I wrote the road map to say 25+ hours instead of 100 and something hours was because I did not know the length of time it would take to get the multiplayer achievements so I wrote 25 hours based on the singleplayer campaign, Sorry for the confusion.

Revolver
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not a hardcore achievement whore but I do want this achievement which means I'm taking my time to get it.
So far I've only gotten 8900 points so I'm still a long way from it but eventually I'll get it.
Probably in 5 years. :eek:

TrishTheDish
12-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Even better question, why is it not updated by now? False information is not a good thing.

Mikey1610
12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Even better question, why is it not updated by now? False information is not a good thing.

Agree, I was gonna get this game until I read this thread.

I'm not far off level 100 in GOW2 now and, after that, I don't intend on spending more months boosting one multiplayer achievement.

This does seem a cake walk compared to that achievement though :)

Vitiate
12-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Life, dont even lie. Boosting with me to entertain all of your asses is the only reason you guys stuck it out. Im sure we all remember the orgasms.

Fuzz83
03-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Very well said Life very well said.

No SN4K3E4T3R you don't kill. What you do is get into AF on meltdown with a group of 4 or more. Decide where you want to meet (either CP 1 or 5). The team on the opposite side of where you guys decide to meet caps all 4 control points and turns the last one blue (to nuetralize it) and backs off. Then the other team caps it and backs off. Rinse and repeat and at 7:40 min (roughly give or take depending on team sizes and who hasn't fallen asleep so they can still tell time) you run to the other side of the map while the team that was capping takes all the CPs except for the last and nuetralizes for you. Easy, long and the most boring thing you have probably ever done.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but doing this method above, how much experience do you get a match? (roughly) Not looking to do 4 star, just looking to do second lt.

Thanks

SiR x VeiRoN x
03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry if this has been answered already, but doing this method above, how much experience do you get a match? (roughly) Not looking to do 4 star, just looking to do second lt.

Thanks

We were able to get around 350 Exp per match,the guide says 400 but even when we were going as fast as we could we would only get 380 Exp each ... this is with 8 people.

xcarmacksx
03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
x carmacks x if someone needs extra help, this is all that is stopping me from completing all the fears.

Jagermeister TX
03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Hmmm... cant take be any worse than having to grind out almost 12,000 kills in Gears of War for my Seriously... achievement.

Looking forward to starting this achievement grind. :uzi:

UJustWanna
04-01-2010, 01:52 AM
How bad is this compared to GTAIVs "Wanted"?
Cuz i did that and it was brutal, yet worth it.

SiR x VeiRoN x
04-01-2010, 05:56 PM
How bad is this compared to GTAIVs "Wanted"?
Cuz i did that and it was brutal, yet worth it.

100+ Hours of boosting,all you have to do is go back and forth.it'll be the most annoying thing you'll ever do,you only get 2000 - 3000 max exp per match and you have to get 1.000.000 exp,lol.

AcidGlowx81
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
This achievement is not worth 100 hours. I'm happy with my other 2 FEAR games at 1000 cause they were actually full of some skill based achieves.

Namaste
04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
I believe that I have the patience to go through with this. Let's see if it holds up.

KookieMnster
05-05-2010, 02:10 AM
I love the online play in F.E.A.R. 2. Granted boosting for 150+ hours seems like a chore...count me in :) lol

Send me a FR at KookieMnster. I'm pretty much online 24/7.

TrevorDaddy
06-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I refuse to go after achievements that show nothing other than player X has wasted their life away on this achievement. The only achievement like this that I have really ever gotten is the General achievement in Call of Duty 3, and I did that completely legitly because I loved playing CoD3 multiplayer. It was less about the achievement and more about the fact that I enjoyed the game.

Either way, too many games I want to play, and way too many things in life to enjoy outside of gaming to waste time on something like this. I tend to be a completionist, but only on games that aren't retarded with their achievements. If it's challenging, unique, amusing, I'll go for it. Mile High Club for example in Modern Warfare, or completing all of the CoD Classic achievements. However, I won't spend 100-200+ hours boosting a multiplayer achievement because that's not fun. If the MP is fun, and I want to keep playing it, and I get the achievement, great, but screw forcing people to dedicate their lives to a single game just to get a single achievement so they can show everyone how they wasted a significant portion of their lives away in the game when they could have been doing something else.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, mulitplayer achievements tend to be idiotic to begin with. More often than not, they have a tendency to detract from the multiplayer experience because instead of getting a public match with a group of guys working together to win the round/match, you end up with a bunch of people ignoring the objective of the match/round and trying to get their achievements instead.

Jet1337
06-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Wow, fuck this shit. I just got all the SP achievements and I'm at 505 GS for the game. I don't understand the point of MP achievements because you don't achieve anything. Anyone with half a fucking brain that wants MP "achievements" boosts.

I think we should make a petition to get developers to not put so many retarded MP "achievements", or preferably none at all.

DBL OuTcAsT
06-24-2010, 06:41 PM
is controlling/capping 1 and 5 faster than 2 and 4?

Thinreaper
06-26-2010, 10:00 AM
yes it is faster

Thicketford
08-28-2010, 02:17 PM
The only time I would ever boost for this is if they had a 100 times XP event:p.

It's a shame you need 4 players for ranked. For the first 2 games I used a second copy of the game and boosted on my own.