PDA

View Full Version : Few Suggestions

devlin
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Ok so I have a few suggestions...don't rape me if some have been mentioned before. According to my search, none of these have been mentioned.

1. Too many pinned topics

I think there are too many pinned topics in certain sections of the forum. I'm fully aware that most of them are quite important, but I also believe various pinned topics can afford to be unpinned. Most sites that have a forum, usually have a maximum of 4/5 pinned topics, as more than that looks messy, and people don't usually like the fact they have to scroll down every time to get to the normal threads, trust me, people are very picky.

Unpinning just a few threads per forum will make things look a lot neater. Some pinned topics can also be merged into one. I'm not going to start naming them all but I'm sure the admins/mods can pick out the threads themselves.

2. Create a Help forum

The General Xbox 360 forum is crammed full of help topics. I know it is the off topic forum, but in off topic I don't like to wade through all the help threads to get to a normal thread. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for helping out, and have been doing. But when there's 6 or 7 help threads on top of each other it gets quite annoying.

Perhaps create a new forum called Xbox 360 Help/Support and put that under General Xbox 360, or create a sub forum in there. That will solve the problem :)

3. Monthly email

Ok there is a good possibility this already happens, but I haven't recieved one yet. What this is is a monthly email, dispatched on the last day of each month, to every member of the forum. In the email will be a list of the top games of the month, with links to their reviews, previews, achievement guides, news etc. I know there are over 30K active users, but we need to try and entise as many non-active members as we can, and I think an email with all the latest news and updates with links direct to the site, can really help.

I think some people will say that this has already been mentioned, but what was mentioned was a newsletter about the community as a whole. This is just an email, containing all the latest and biggest games of the month, and just a click away is all the news, reviews, previews and achievement guides they need.

Anyway this is all I have for now. More when I think of them.

Creech
02-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Ok so I have a few suggestions...don't rape me if some have been mentioned before. According to my search, none of these have been mentioned.

1. Too many pinned topics

3. Monthly email

The pinned topics we tend to stay on top of, and periodically review. The game forums are usually fine, but the ones under the General section can get out of control. We are aware and do what we can, but no system is perfect. More stickies usually means fewer threads we have to delete, in this particular case.

The monthly email is not really a good idea. Spam is a huge issue, and sending 30,000 emails in a blast once a month is a good way to get our email domain blocked by the larger ISPs. This would be bad, since we use that domain to get emails on new releases, review copies, interviews, etc. Even with a double opt-in approach, it takes significant time personally interacting with the security departments at the major ISPs before anyone should start sending that quantity of emails. We would have to set up multiple IP addresses to handle it correctly, sort the emails by a variety of criteria to track delivery better, etc. Plus, more bandwidth costs, upgrade the existing mail server, database cleanup work, and more.

This is one of those things that sounds nice, but in actuality has very little positive return for a large investment of time and money.

Your second option I won't comment on at this time.

I do appreciate you taking the time to provide some input, which is why my response - while not overtly supportive - is rather detailed.

Cheers!

devlin
02-26-2009, 08:56 PM
The pinned topics we tend to stay on top of, and periodically review. The game forums are usually fine, but the ones under the General section can get out of control. We are aware and do what we can, but no system is perfect. More stickies usually means fewer threads we have to delete, in this particular case.

The monthly email is not really a good idea. Spam is a huge issue, and sending 30,000 emails in a blast once a month is a good way to get our email domain blocked by the larger ISPs. This would be bad, since we use that domain to get emails on new releases, review copies, interviews, etc. Even with a double opt-in approach, it takes significant time personally interacting with the security departments at the major ISPs before anyone should start sending that quantity of emails. We would have to set up multiple IP addresses to handle it correctly, sort the emails by a variety of criteria to track delivery better, etc. Plus, more bandwidth costs, upgrade the existing mail server, database cleanup work, and more.

This is one of those things that sounds nice, but in actuality has very little positive return for a large investment of time and money.

Your second option I won't comment on at this time.

I do appreciate you taking the time to provide some input, which is why my response - while not overtly supportive - is rather detailed.

Cheers!
I appreciate the response. You've given me valid answers, so I don't mind the ideas being shot down.

Though I hope the Help forum (2nd suggestion) can be put into action. That was the main one I wanted to get across. If there's one thing I hate, it's mess, and I believe moving all the help threads from the general 360 forum, to a new forum is a very good idea.

For one, those who like to help more than others can lurk the new forum to help others as every thread in there will be a help thread. And second, it's much neater!!

:)

RuggersAssassin
02-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I like the Email Idea to update us on New guides or awards or like knowing mebers who have joined or other statistics. Like the monthly update. I see why they cannot do this though. I do like the idea though.

CyanideBreathMint
02-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Not being a smartass, honest. But is that how sites like GameSpot do it then when sending monthly (or even weekly) mass emails to their members? Just got me thinking when you said it would be an issue.