PDA

View Full Version : Signature Restriction

Tenacious
02-28-2009, 12:01 AM
I just wanted to suggest something for the site, because it's getting beyond belief. It's just ridiculous how big some people's signatures are. Do you need a sig that's as big as a freaking computer WALLPAPER? It can sometimes take me over a minute to load a single topic.

Here's my suggestion. Why not a simple signature restriction put in place? I honestly think 600x200 pixels is very reasonable for signatures. The banners absolutely have to stop.

Skillet
02-28-2009, 12:08 AM
There is an image restriction on the site. It applies to signatures as well.

It's not as small as you would like, however. I don't know the exact size but as a general rule, if the single image is large enough to break the page width, it is scaled down to be smaller.

If the images that you're seeing aren't being scaled down, I'd say it has to do with your browser or it's settings.

Nightdragon
02-28-2009, 12:33 AM
While there are no automatic restrictions, the general rule of thumb is nothing above 500 pixels high and 500 wide, this is so that all users don't have their windows stretched.

If you see someone with a large sig, report one of their posts stating that their sig is larger and a moderator will look into it.

Tenacious
02-28-2009, 12:37 AM
There is an image restriction on the site. It applies to signatures as well.

It's not as small as you would like, however. I don't know the exact size but as a general rule, if the single image is large enough to break the page width, it is scaled down to be smaller.

If the images that you're seeing aren't being scaled down, I'd say it has to do with your browser or it's settings.
They are scaled down, but even then they take up half the screen.

I used to go to different forums a few years ago, and we had a sig restriction rule. It was about 480x280. From my knowledge, administrators and moderators can get into someone's signature and change it. They sure as hell did too. And it's nothing to do with my browser, I just don't think having a signature restriction is too much to ask?

Edit:
While there are no automatic restrictions, the general rule of thumb is nothing above 500 pixels high and 500 wide, this is so that all users done have their windows stretched.

If you see someone with a large sig, report one of their posts stating that their sig is larger and a moderator will look into it.
It's not just a problem with a few select users. Most users on this site have, at least, an incredible amount of text in their sig. About half have a gamercard and text. Half of that have a gamercard, a signature, and text. Like, seriously, do you need that much sig space? There's no reason, and it's a waste of bandwidth.

Skillet
02-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Well, apparently, it is a problem with your browser.

Well, not really a problem but just something that your browser doesn't do. Mine does. I confused it with something that the site is responsible for since I've never seen this on other sites.

And there is a character restriction in signatures. Though, once again, I don't know the exact amount of letters you're allowed to have. I know it's there this time though.

:p

Nightdragon
02-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Like I said, report the user and we will look into their sig size. There is an automatic limit on characters but some people abuse returns and things like that making large sigs. Report them and an admin will sort it out.

Oh and mods can only request members edit their sigs, admins are the only ones with the power to physically change it, but with 30,000 active members it becomes difficult to go around checking EVERYONE'S sig ourselves.