PDA

View Full Version : Social Group Ideas

Evil Demon55
03-02-2009, 01:08 AM
The other day I thought of an idea a to of other people have probably thought of too. My ideas are simple.

Idea 1 Stickies in Social Groups
Creator/Leader of the social group can sticky threads in the social group as well as social group mods (talk about that idea next). If a SG gets too big a ton of threads will be used. Either them being junk threads or just needed threads in general. If there are stickied threads, the people in the SG will notice them, like they do in the forums. Obviously, if there is an abuse of sticked threads in a SG, people will leave it. It will not affect the site, just that persons SG.

Idea 2 Mods in Social Groups
This idea is simple too. By mods of a SG, I mean high authority for that SG they are a mod on. The leader of a SG selects the perople he wants to help run that SG, those people are the mods of that, and only that SG unless they are selected for another SG too.

Ex:
If I make a SG called Grapes, I can select the people in that group to be high ranked members of that SG. They can sticky any thread and remove people from the group (no bans, just kicked out of SG, though the person can rejoin). The mods of Grapes will only be a moderator of Grapes, unless some other person selects them to be a mod of another SG.
They will not get an award.
They could have an orange color over there name in the SG they are a mod at.

Part 2 of Idea 2
This part is the part where you give them options. When you select your moderator of your SG you get a check box. This check box allows what the mod can and cannot do. You may only want them to be able to sticky threads and that is all. If so, you select the sticky options. This will allow them only to sticky threads, they will not be able to do anything else.
At any given time, you can remove their authority to be a moderator of your SG.
They will still be a regular member of x360a, no special privledges outsite your SG, no bonus, no award. They just are there to help you out.

These 2 ideas would be a great addition to the newly improved social groups and I think this site should talk about these ideas.

Evil Demon55
03-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Just bumping this up... any other suggestions?

Squirrel257
03-23-2009, 07:32 AM
I can see where this is an amazing idea. Don't get me wrong. I just don't know it the Boss' would have time to code for all this..?

Great idea none-the-less

kaleido42
04-01-2009, 01:13 AM
i think that this should definitely be implimented, if it hasnt been already

Skillet
04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
So, you basically want Routine to make a smaller, second forum available to everyone like Bungie did with the 7th Column?

I doubt Routine has the time, resources, or desire for such a thing. But an Admin would be able to say more.

Evil Demon55
04-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Bungie did this??? I never knew that... well if Bungie did it, can't Routine use the same coding? It's not like he has to code everything all over again.

Skillet
04-01-2009, 10:55 PM
No... no he can't.

You see, Bungie doesn't use vBulletin forums. They use extremely expensive ones from Ideal Science.

But yes, they did do this. It was supposed to be a clan thing but a lot of people just make random ones for total nonsense. I'm a member of three of them. But that's besides the point.

Basically, all I'm saying is I doubt the admins here will want to put that much time and effort into something that so few people use. It's not exactly the largest feature of the site.

EDIT: Bungie's even featured as (basically) Ideal Science's best use of their software. http://www.idealscience.com/site/products/casestudies/default.aspx

Honestly, x360a would probably be the most awesome forum on the planet if it were powered by Ideal Science. It's just so expensive, only large corporations can afford it. It costs up to $25,000. Unless you use the $300 version which I understand as being not much better than vBulletin anyway. :p

Slow2die
04-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeh, they do use Ideal Science forums. Its pretty cool software.

I also like this idea, but also agree implementing it will be a large task, but then most of the suggestions for the site and forums are.

Evil Demon55
04-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Aren't social groups like miniture forums? So couldn't the coding just be slimmed down then? I think some could work where some would be harder to code... good idea, but I do agree that it would take some time.

I think SG are becomeing more famous though.

Minty
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Aren't social groups like miniture forums?

No, they aren't. The forum is used by mass numbers of people, where as the social groups arent. Putting time and effort into the forums is worthwhile for everyone, unlike the social groups. They are just a side feature.