PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Auto lock threads

dakisbac
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Once a thread hasn't been posted in for a long time (the time determined by the staff of course) auto lock the thread. That way we'll see less spammers and newbs bumping threads from 2007.

Jappe XBA
03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Nah... it just doesn't feel good. Someone can always bring life to a dead thread. :p

Lizbinim
03-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I think this is a good idea - what with people increasing their post counts by spamming old threads.

Pucca Princess
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I would like to see this done - there are a few members I have seen who seem to deliberetly bring up an old topic and just post "that helped, thanks". it annoys me :p would stop them spamming :)

narcolepticshee
03-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Nah... it just doesn't feel good. Someone can always bring life to a dead thread. :p

^^ I agree with this jappe ^^. If people spam an old thread, they get an infraction. No need to lock it.

Peace

AOS Puck
03-02-2009, 11:05 PM
IF this is possible, it would mean a little less work for the staff and we know how lazy some of them are, right Pants. ;)

dakisbac
03-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Mentioning work, it would be a lot easier to implement an auto lock feature than to have them handing out infractions.

benbam87
03-03-2009, 12:28 AM
But what if someone has something of value to add what are they meant to do? Make a new thread? then they will get blasted for making a new thread. So no I do not like this idea sorry

CyanideBreathMint
03-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure there's no feature of vBulletin that'll allow for such an option?

dakisbac
03-03-2009, 12:46 AM
But what if someone has something of value to add what are they meant to do? Make a new thread? then they will get blasted for making a new thread. So no I do not like this idea sorry

I'm going to have to disagree here. Most of the people bumping two year old threads do NOT have anything of value to add. And if they do, it would be perfectly acceptable to make a new thread about it. If the old one is still open and they post in it, they get blasted for bumping an old thread (whether their post is valuable or not is different to everyone). If the old one is open and they don't post in it, they get blasted for not searching. They can't win either way. If there is an older topic that's closed, then no one will blast him for making a new thread.

I'm pretty sure there's no feature of vBulletin that'll allow for such an option?

As for this, I have no idea. I'm sure this forum is a heavily modified version of vBulletin, so this would just be another modification.

Evil Demon55
03-03-2009, 05:24 AM
How old would these timers be set at? Some forums rarely ever get a post in them so valuable info is the 4th thread down, but is over 6 months old. What if that is to be locked? That wouldn't be to good.

The idea is a good idea for actual used forums, but for forums like arcade games, it really wouldn't help at all.

Eternal
03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
As far as I know, vBulletin doesn't have such a feature.

As for the locking goes, what if someone posts in an achievement guide or important thread made in 2007? o.O

dakisbac
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Remember guys, this is a rough idea. You could exempt sticky topics from it (which an achievement guide or otherwise important thread would be)

As for what you said Evil, if the valuable information you need is already posted, whether it be the first or fourth thread, it doesn't really matter if it's open or not. That's usually where someone will bump an old thread to say something useless like "thanks, that was useful" (and although it's nice to see appreciation, it's still useless)

True I Skill
03-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Hm.
Does peoples post counts really matter if they spam it all or not?
:S
Makes no diffrence about the person (:
I like searching now and again random words then having a read through
old threads then sometimes posting in it.
Edit: Also id like to add some people Bump in old guides by saying thanks
So other people can see the guide.

BooseyGirl
03-08-2009, 04:49 AM
It's a double edged sword, sure it might stop spammers but others who are actually posting something of worth won't be able to post if it's locked. It's probably a bad idea, but it has some good aspects to it.

KFZ Scrubs
03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Well here's my 2 cents, if its spam then infraction, but if they're asking a question about an old game and don't want to start a new thread then i guess it'd be cool. Won't be so much questions asking the same question over and over again.

Tomscfc
03-11-2009, 04:27 PM
It's a double edged sword, sure it might stop spammers but others who are actually posting something of worth won't be able to post if it's locked. It's probably a bad idea, but it has some good aspects to it.
I agree
I get annoyed with people who do it for no reason, how ever i myself use old threads to ask questions instead of making a whole new thread so... this may not be that good of an idea.

KlicK
03-11-2009, 04:29 PM
On the same note, members who have been here a while/have lots of posts (quality posts, mind you) should be able to lock their own threads after they've ran their course.

Jappe XBA
03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Agree with KlicK, maybe it could be 800 posts :p

InkedUp
03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
This idea has some good intentions, but I don't believe it would be a good thing. For people who spam old threads, they'll get their infractions, but sometimes people will post better ways of getting achievements on older games. Can't do that if its locked. Besides, more and more people are just getting their 360's, which means they will buy older games to boost their GS. If they find a better way of getting an achievement than the one posted, they shouldn't be blocked from helping the ever growing community out. Good idea, but in the end I just don't think it will benefit the site

AOS Puck
03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
they shouldn't be blocked from helping the ever growing community out.

If an old topic is locked, there is nothing "blocking" them from creating a new topic.

Tomscfc
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
If an old topic is locked, there is nothing "blocking" them from creating a new topic.
So whats the point in making a new topic, when there is already one on the forums?