PDA

View Full Version : GameStop has finally come through!

NFaMuS one
03-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I had to share with the community, given my long history with GameStop and them not "showing up" so to speak when it comes to release dates. I got a call on my celly yesterday saying I can pick up Halo Wars tonight at midnight. :woop: Go figure, another Halo title coming out when it's supposed to, and games like Skate 2 get the shaft. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get it until tomorrow, but even still, I'm pretty stoked that I will be able to have it on the street date, rather then wait another day from GameStop's ship date. :drunk

NOTE: I do realize that this post may be pointless, but I just wanted to share my excitement.

I look forward to pwning you soon! :uzi:lol

Little Jonny
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
congrats man

neok182
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
dude gamestop always has the games on release date. Go look at best buy or any other place. they all get it on the same day in the US. It's not gamestops fault if we were told a game was coming out on a tuesday and they don't get it until Wednesday. No one else in the US got it until wednesday either.

a good 90% of all games have a monday ship date or they ship the week before and gamestop just holds them. (halo wars was as i saw my limited edition 4 days ago) And some games are shipped on either monday or tuesday either 2-day or overnight shipping for release on wednesday. This is not gamestops fault.

I'll use fallout 3 and red alert 3 as an example.

Both were slated for an October 28th Release. Red Alert 3 was shipped the week before and was there on tuesday the 28th. Fallout 3 however was not shipped until overnight on tuesday making the release actually the 29th.

However this was everywhere. Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-mart, Target, any any other place that sells games.

I work seasonal at gamestop so i know how this stuff works and i hate it when people get pissed at us for games not showing up on time as gamestop as a company has NO CONTROL WHAT SO EVER over when games come in. Gamestop can't ship them to stores until they get them from the production companies. And if they get them there late, then they show up late to stores. simple as that. This is also why gamestop has to overnight almost 80% of all games because the production companies don't bother getting the stuff to gamestop until monday/tuesday.

NFaMuS one
03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
dude gamestop always has the games on release date. Go look at best buy or any other place. they all get it on the same day in the US. It's not gamestops fault if we were told a game was coming out on a tuesday and they don't get it until Wednesday. No one else in the US got it until wednesday either.

a good 90% of all games have a monday ship date or they ship the week before and gamestop just holds them. (halo wars was as i saw my limited edition 4 days ago) And some games are shipped on either monday or tuesday either 2-day or overnight shipping for release on wednesday. This is not gamestops fault.

I'll use fallout 3 and red alert 3 as an example.

Both were slated for an October 28th Release. Red Alert 3 was shipped the week before and was there on tuesday the 28th. Fallout 3 however was not shipped until overnight on tuesday making the release actually the 29th.

However this was everywhere. Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-mart, Target, any any other place that sells games.

I work seasonal at gamestop so i know how this stuff works and i hate it when people get pissed at us for games not showing up on time as gamestop as a company has NO CONTROL WHAT SO EVER over when games come in. Gamestop can't ship them to stores until they get them from the production companies. And if they get them there late, then they show up late to stores. simple as that. This is also why gamestop has to overnight almost 80% of all games because the production companies don't bother getting the stuff to gamestop until monday/tuesday.

Maybe then it's just my expierence with the GameStop where I live. It's probably, more so, the hired help's unwillingness to assist in these matters. Also, I do understand it's not GameStop's fault. As I said, the hired help tend to be jerks there. Probably because there's so many people calling and asking about the same thing. I would get fed up too. It's not me being pissed off either, it's just troublesome at times when people give me wrong information at my local GameStop.

Perfect example, I called the Monday of the week of the Skate 2 release, and I asked if it was going to be at the store to pick up on release day, and they replied "Skate 2? That's not supposed to be out until later this year."

So I shouldn't generalize it, when it's just my local GameStop. I apologize.

neok182
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe then it's just my expierence with the GameStop where I live. It's probably, more so, the hired help's unwillingness to assist in these matters. Also, I do understand it's not GameStop's fault. As I said, the hired help tend to be jerks there. Probably because there's so many people calling and asking about the same thing. I would get fed up too. It's not me being pissed off either, it's just troublesome at times when people give me wrong information at my local GameStop.

Perfect example, I called the Monday of the week of the Skate 2 release, and I asked if it was going to be at the store to pick up on release day, and they replied "Skate 2? That's not supposed to be out until later this year."

So I shouldn't generalize it, when it's just my local GameStop. I apologize.

well i can sure say that some gamestops are full of assholes. many of the ones in my area are. there are 4 near me and only 1 of them i actually go to because everyone there is generally nice. the rest of them basically have the i don't care about you and GTFO attitude.

And i believe you about the release date thing there. there are some gamestops that just don't train or teach their employees anything. I have a friend that just moved up to gainsville florida and the gamestop he goes to must have a bunch of 2-3 generation inbreads. No one knows when anything is coming out and they constantly give bad information.

And from working there i can say that it does get annoying getting asked the same thing over and over again, but in our store we try to be polite and professional to everyone who comes in. it's after they leave that we start saying omfg why are people so stupid asking the same thing 100 times lol.

And for me i only get annoyed about the wii and wii fit over the holidays. 2-3 days before christmas like 1000 people ask about it. eventually you want to just yell at them 'hey stupid, you decided to get the hottest product 2 days before christmas, wtf did you think was going to happen!'

One woman actually got so mad at me for not having the wii that she brought her kid in crying saying that i made her cry and i have to give her a wii because she knows we have one. crazy crazy people down in south florida.

NFaMuS one
03-02-2009, 06:23 PM
well i can sure say that some gamestops are full of assholes. many of the ones in my area are. there are 4 near me and only 1 of them i actually go to because everyone there is generally nice. the rest of them basically have the i don't care about you and GTFO attitude.

And i believe you about the release date thing there. there are some gamestops that just don't train or teach their employees anything. I have a friend that just moved up to gainsville florida and the gamestop he goes to must have a bunch of 2-3 generation inbreads. No one knows when anything is coming out and they constantly give bad information.

And from working there i can say that it does get annoying getting asked the same thing over and over again, but in our store we try to be polite and professional to everyone who comes in. it's after they leave that we start saying omfg why are people so stupid asking the same thing 100 times lol.

And for me i only get annoyed about the wii and wii fit over the holidays. 2-3 days before christmas like 1000 people ask about it. eventually you want to just yell at them 'hey stupid, you decided to get the hottest product 2 days before christmas, wtf did you think was going to happen!'

One woman actually got so mad at me for not having the wii that she brought her kid in crying saying that i made her cry and i have to give her a wii because she knows we have one. crazy crazy people down in south florida.

WOW! That's crazy. That's very typical though. I remember the holiday rush for the Wii and Wii Fit. Absolutely ridiculous. So, ultimately, it goes to the hired help. They've always been jerks to me, so i started going to GameCrazy, then the cycle started there to, so back to GameStop I went. Also, the employees at the game stores in my area have this "holier than thou" attitude, like I don't know shit about games. So I just give a chuckle and shake my head when they talk down to me.

One time, an employee, at GameCrazy I think, was like, "I'm so knowledgable about these games on 360, my gamerscore is almost at 30,000." And I just let out a huge "HA!" because at the time my gamerscore was around 65,000ish. I then asked him if he completed a Call of Duty game on veteran, his reply, "no." The look on his face was priceless, I then laughed some more. It's a shame that some people think knowledge of games derives solely from gamerscore. Pfft.

neok182
03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
hahaha. my gamerscore is only 12800 but i know more about the games than pretty much anyone at that store including one guy that has 30k. I think the max in my area is around 45k. Lot of sony fans in my town.

NFaMuS one
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM
hahaha. my gamerscore is only 12800 but i know more about the games than pretty much anyone at that store including one guy that has 30k. I think the max in my area is around 45k. Lot of sony fans in my town.

I hear you there. There are alot of Sony fans around my way too. Even still, my gamerscore is 89,000+, and I have alot of gaming knowledge, but it stems back to the days of Comodore 64 (spell check lol) on up to X-Box 360, lol. I'm only around 2 and a half years into my 360 gaming, and I don't base my knowledge on my gamerscore. Alot of people are like "oh wow man, you have a high gamerscore," haha, and I just reply, "yeah, I play alot of games."

Granted, I've done my share of achievement whoring, but those days are over for me. I would like to complete every game on my gamercard, but that's not possible, mainly because of Dead or Alive 4, G.R.A.W., Devil May Cry 4, and Ninja Gaiden 2 :( but even still, I know good games.

Another scenario, an employee at the GameStop in my local mall said this when I asked him what he thought about Fallout 3, "man, that game is not that great..." I put the "..." there because he was going to say more, but I just walked away, lol.

Employees there also dogged out Halo Wars, which I can understand to an extent, because it does lack some traditional aspect to a real time strategy game you would see on the PC. That's just it though, Halo Wars is on X-Box 360 and not on PC. A real time strategy game is a whole different world on the 360, as you don't have the keyboard/mouse interface. From the Halo Wars demo, I was sold like 10 minutes into the first level. It's a solid RTS for a console, in my opinion. Simplified yes, but according to the word on the forum, Legendary difficulty is ridiculously hard, so, to me, that's somewhat of a fair compromise for a console RTS.

ClevelandRocks8
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes I like to speak in long paragraphs too.

Sorry, I'm an asshole.

NFaMuS one
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes I like to speak in long paragraphs too.

Sorry, I'm an asshole.

HA! Yes, you are! LOL! :drunk

Just kidding. Really though, I just have alot to say.

neok182
03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I hear you there. There are alot of Sony fans around my way too. Even still, my gamerscore is 89,000+, and I have alot of gaming knowledge, but it stems back to the days of Comodore 64 (spell check lol) on up to X-Box 360, lol. I'm only around 2 and a half years into my 360 gaming, and I don't base my knowledge on my gamerscore. Alot of people are like "oh wow man, you have a high gamerscore," haha, and I just reply, "yeah, I play alot of games."

Granted, I've done my share of achievement whoring, but those days are over for me. I would like to complete every game on my gamercard, but that's not possible, mainly because of Dead or Alive 4, G.R.A.W., Devil May Cry 4, and Ninja Gaiden 2 :( but even still, I know good games.

Another scenario, an employee at the GameStop in my local mall said this when I asked him what he thought about Fallout 3, "man, that game is not that great..." I put the "..." there because he was going to say more, but I just walked away, lol.

Employees there also dogged out Halo Wars, which I can understand to an extent, because it does lack some traditional aspect to a real time strategy game you would see on the PC. That's just it though, Halo Wars is on X-Box 360 and not on PC. A real time strategy game is a whole different world on the 360, as you don't have the keyboard/mouse interface. From the Halo Wars demo, I was sold like 10 minutes into the first level. It's a solid RTS for a console, in my opinion. Simplified yes, but according to the word on the forum, Legendary difficulty is ridiculously hard, so, to me, that's somewhat of a fair compromise for a console RTS.

I'm a die hard PC gamer. if it's on the PC and 360. 95% of the time i'll get it on the PC. and it's because of this that my gamerscore is 12800. Mass Effect, COD4, Bioshock, left 4 Dead, Red Alert 3, DMC4, UT3 and far cry 2 i got all on the PC instead of the 360.

Had i gotten those on the 360 i'd probably be around 20k or more. Though it's because i'm a PC gamer that i know about RTS games. it's one of my favorite genres and i've played every single command and conquer game ever made.

Halo wars i thought was going to be total shit. But after playing the demo i fell in love with the design and simplicity of it. And it's halo which i enjoy the storyline very much. So even being a die hard PC gamer i think i'll enjoy halo wars almost more than my PC rts games just because it is simpler and easier to play. lot less things to worry about in halo wars then red alert or C&C3.

NFaMuS one
03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
lot less things to worry about in halo wars then red alert or C&C3.

Very true! However, I feel that if Halo Wars had more complexity to it, it would be that much more amazing. :drunk

neok182
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Very true! However, I feel that if Halo Wars had more complexity to it, it would be that much more amazing. :drunk

Yea it could use some more complexity. I Think they could of done the base mechanics a bit better. the single base design is simple and easy to do with a console but it would of been nice to have a bit more varity in base design.

afunk117
03-03-2009, 04:42 AM
I'm a die hard PC gamer. if it's on the PC and 360. 95% of the time i'll get it on the PC. and it's because of this that my gamerscore is 12800. Mass Effect, COD4, Bioshock, left 4 Dead, Red Alert 3, DMC4, UT3 and far cry 2 i got all on the PC instead of the 360.

Had i gotten those on the 360 i'd probably be around 20k or more. Though it's because i'm a PC gamer that i know about RTS games. it's one of my favorite genres and i've played every single command and conquer game ever made.

Halo wars i thought was going to be total shit. But after playing the demo i fell in love with the design and simplicity of it. And it's halo which i enjoy the storyline very much. So even being a die hard PC gamer i think i'll enjoy halo wars almost more than my PC rts games just because it is simpler and easier to play. lot less things to worry about in halo wars then red alert or C&C3.

So if your a hardcore Pc Gamer have you ever heard of Dark Reign. An RTS game?

General Khazard
03-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Getting back on topic about Gamestop... I'm pissed right now. I got a call the other day from Gamestop saying their midnight release for Halo Wars started tonight at 10 PM. Well I was just up there (11:10) and there's NOBODY. The place is locked down, lights out, and nobody's there.

I've spent the past week (and the weekend) getting everything I needed to do finished so I could get the game tonight and play through it for the rest of the week, and they pull this BS? You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be there at 10 AM tomorrow when they open to get my game, and once I've got it? I'm gunna let them have it.

Needless to say, I'll be getting my games elsewhere for awhile.

SuperWoody64
03-03-2009, 06:13 AM
I would have called them to confirm a midnight launch. I''m sure they didn't have enough reserves to justify opening up for 2 1/2 hours. I just worked our midnight and we had about 12 people show up.
As for other games not being there on time, you should probably look at the publisher or the UPS guy. We can only sell games when we have them. If they're street dated we usually get them earlier in the week so we definitely have them. In the case that there is no street date we can sell a game early like we did with Street Fighter IV.
I'd definitely complain to that store but the phone call came from corporate and was probably just a form call for a stand-alone store. The mall-store phone calls probably didn't say midnight launch.

neok182
03-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Yea you really should always call a gamestop before hand.

many times gamestop will say that they're doing a midnight release but it's not actually happening because the mall or location can't do it for whatever reason.

@afunk117: I have heard of it but since i was only 10 at the time i didn't play it when it came out. C&C my dad bought me for a birthday or something and i got hooked. i was only just getting into video games back then.

Subion
03-03-2009, 08:12 AM
I do agree that some of the people who work at some Gamestops do get upset easy and take it out on the customers. Our store refuses to do that. we have a great staff from District down to the GAs (Game Advisors). We try to help customers as much as possible and if we can't we get someone else who can. We all have our own intrests and areas we are more familiar with and instead

I do agree that the shipping and reciving is messed up. We don't know what we get till we get in on most he stuff. As for Halo Wars we recived it early last week with the Street Date as 3/3/09.

One thing to rember when it comes to Gamestop or the website is when it says a date it means it ships on that date and we wont recive it till the next day. If the workers are not as familiar with the release dates in our system it might say "game * date 3/2/09 " It makes it look like that game will be available on the 3/2/09 when it actually means it ships that day and it takes 24 hours usualy to get it. Very few things actually have the street date listed instead of the ship date. We always get games in on the day they come out unlike other stores. I'm sorry to everybody who has had bad experiences with Gamestop but it's not all stores and sometimes it can get confusing for us some times.

General Khazard
03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
I would have called them to confirm a midnight launch. I''m sure they didn't have enough reserves to justify opening up for 2 1/2 hours. I just worked our midnight and we had about 12 people show up.
As for other games not being there on time, you should probably look at the publisher or the UPS guy. We can only sell games when we have them. If they're street dated we usually get them earlier in the week so we definitely have them. In the case that there is no street date we can sell a game early like we did with Street Fighter IV.
I'd definitely complain to that store but the phone call came from corporate and was probably just a form call for a stand-alone store. The mall-store phone calls probably didn't say midnight launch.

You would think, you know, that if the store I preordered from wasn't doing the midnight release, then I wouldn't get a call saying "we're doing a midnight release event starting at 10 pm!" Sorry but if I get a call (even a prerecorded one) telling me that info, I'm going to assume that it applies to the place I preordered from.

neok182
03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
You would think, you know, that if the store I preordered from wasn't doing the midnight release, then I wouldn't get a call saying "we're doing a midnight release event starting at 10 pm!" Sorry but if I get a call (even a prerecorded one) telling me that info, I'm going to assume that it applies to the place I preordered from.

I totally understand. But just like with the halo wars tournament, many stores didn't do it for one reason or another.

Store managers have the final say on whether or not they're doing it. That computer call goes out to every pre-order for every store on the midnight list. Regardless of whether or not the store is actually doing it.

For example i got a call for that, but my store isn't allowed to do midnight releases because of the mall ownership. No one knows why we were on the list of midnights because that store hasn't been able to have a midnight release since halo 3.

SIR TRICE
03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
shieeeeeeeeeeet
i get mine in 7 minutes!!!!!!!!

going to b est buy ftw
had a free gift certifcate for like 60 bucks
so i only gotta pay 20 bucks for the limited =]

neok182
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
nice dude.

...lucky bastard. (^_^)

NFaMuS one
03-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I got my copy! w00t!

The manager at the GameStop decided to be a wise guy and tell me they didn't have it, lol. Considering my track record with them, I was like "are you kidding me?" Then he pulled Halo Wars out of the drawer. I then gave a sigh of relief, lol. :drunk

So now, when I get home from work, it's game time!

Volcom guy992
03-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Gamestop always comes through for me, thats why I shop there. I love that place. A little confused though because they didnt give me the flaming warthog code. Hmmm and I dont think they had them cause the guy working there at the launch asked the other chick if she was giving out the graffiz things and she said yea cause he forgot so I dont think they got hte flame thing.