PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Believe It

irift3
03-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Alright, the only baseball game I played in terms of video games was MLB 2K8, and I loved it! I played it non-stop and achieved all 1000 gamer score for it. Now, I bought MLB 2K9 the day it released and thought it was going to be as good if not better than it's predecessor. WRONG. I am so frustrated by everything about it. Even though you can change the camera angle for pitching and batting, I can't find one that I like. Also, there is no tutorial at all for pitching and I can't tell how this years pitching mechanic is supposed to work. Am I supposed to do the position and gesture faster, slower, or is there some sort of circle timing that I am not seeing? Also, I love the amount of errors I am recieving in a game too. Fukedome, are you really going to let a fly ball hit you in the shoulder in real life? Also, the batting controls are messed up, 2K sports couldn't decide on one simple batting scheme, and had to combine two of them to make a frustrating monster. In the manual, it tells you that you can influence a hit with the left stick, but if you are in the zone hitting, that contradicts itself. I am EXTREMELY disapointed to have to type out a rant on a game that I thought I was going to love. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I will stick with MLB 2K8. Anybody else feel the same way?

Deyankees1
03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
There is a tutorial its called spring training under game modes. Pitching is way easier then 2k8 the gesture doesn't have to be spot on. Making it easier for people who had trouble in 2k8. Over all its not a big step up from 2k8 but I find it better even more so online which was mostly fixed thank god.

SilverSluggerMZ
03-03-2009, 08:48 PM
I've played a few online and atleast it's not all glithy and jumpy like it was.

Caleel
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Alright, the only baseball game I played in terms of video games was MLB 2K8, and I loved it! I played it non-stop and achieved all 1000 gamer score for it. Now, I bought MLB 2K9 the day it released and thought it was going to be as good if not better than it's predecessor. WRONG. I am so frustrated by everything about it. Even though you can change the camera angle for pitching and batting, I can't find one that I like. Also, there is no tutorial at all for pitching and I can't tell how this years pitching mechanic is supposed to work. Am I supposed to do the position and gesture faster, slower, or is there some sort of circle timing that I am not seeing? Also, I love the amount of errors I am recieving in a game too. Fukedome, are you really going to let a fly ball hit you in the shoulder in real life? Also, the batting controls are messed up, 2K sports couldn't decide on one simple batting scheme, and had to combine two of them to make a frustrating monster. In the manual, it tells you that you can influence a hit with the left stick, but if you are in the zone hitting, that contradicts itself. I am EXTREMELY disapointed to have to type out a rant on a game that I thought I was going to love. I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I will stick with MLB 2K8. Anybody else feel the same way?

Are you kidding have you tried spring training there is a tutorial and its a lot easier than 2k8 was imo. I have no trouble now pitching while I had trouble in 2k8.

irift3
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
After I made the post I decided to give MLB 2K9 another chance, and I did find the tutorials and practice stuff. That was good and I also like that you can make your configurations very personalized and detailed. With that all said, I do not like how much EASIER the pitching is. I like games that actually take some form of SKILL to be good at, like Guitar Hero and the like. It just feels that this game kind of regressed to the casual crowd and just because a game is easier, doesn't mean it is better. I liked how the batting and pitching were last year, so I am confused on why they decided to shift from it. Were people that sucked at the game really that upset? I will ultimately stick with the game but that won't change the disappointment I have for it :(

Deyankees1
03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
It is way easier I'm playing on Legend difficulty and I'm still averaging about 8 HRs and 10 Strike outs. But I still like the game and will be playing it for months to come. But damn its easy.

CAFF31N3
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I like the gameplay of 2K8 better as well. I was effin' pro at it. I liked the menus and the trading cards better as well. However, the online play in this game is 10 times better. There isn't really much lag at all. So, I will get past the stuff I miss in 2K8 to be able to play the game online...but yes, 2K8 was a better game...If I wanted to play an unrealistic baseball game, I would have just waited for the Bigs 2 to come out this summer.

M4 NightHawk
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Honestly my only complaint is how easy it is.. I have been playing since 2k6 and I have never really been that great... I start my first online game and i hit like 7 homers and win 14-3... I mean its good to win but i would love competition.. also I have to play on legend and it is still way to easy.

MaGiiK MaN
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I thought 2k8 was pretty bad. 2k7 was great and 2k9 seems like a step in the right direction to me. I agree with you M4, I just changed sliders myself to make it a closer game.

xXx3NIGM4xXx
03-04-2009, 08:15 PM
I do not like how much EASIER the pitching is. I like games that actually take some form of SKILL to be good at, like Guitar Hero and the like.

While GH definitely takes your own skill to play (you have to have great finger dexterity) I feel that MLB 2k8 wasn't so much my fault as it was the AI. I don't know if I am the only one here that had these problems but let me just list them:

1) Trying to perform a double play, my second baseman will run towards third instead of making the turn. How idiotic is this? Very, and it pisses me off even more when I know I need an acievement to pull 3 double plays.

2) When you have a pitcher who can throw a slider and a curve ball, the slider becomes a non-factor because no matter how hard you try, you will always throw a 70-something rated curveball instead or just a flat out meat ball which in turn leads to a HR for the other guys.

3) The other team seems to always make contact, always. It is sad when I have a fantasy draft rotation including Timmy Lincecum and Justin Deucherer (I can't spell that, I'm sorry) and Justin, a proven GB guy, piles up 10 Ks in one game where Timmys high for the season was 8.

I guess I just want a vastly improved fielding and pitching and players "stats" to actaully be more realistic and on par with what is expected. I am getting 2k9, but I pray to God that these small things are cured. (I know for a fact that the double play and pitching are! Thank you demo!)