PDA

View Full Version : Rant/ Review after few hours with game

Gohan Reborn
03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes. It must be done.

I've always been a fan of the Show. I had a PS2, and a PSP and had both MLB The Show 07 and 08. I got my XBOX recently in August, and I didn't buy MLB2k8, instead I waited it out. 3 weeks before 2k9 came out I reserved it, counting down the days. This was the first game since Call of Duty:WaW that I was anxious to play.

I had NBA 2k9, and I will admit it, it took a few weeks to grow on me, but I LOVE NBA 2k9 (Kudos to 2k on that). However I'm not a huge basketball fan, I'm definitly a Die-Hard baseball fan. So my expectations on the baseball game may be a little more..higher.

Anyways. My problem with the game after playing it for ...3 hours.

Spring Training/Tutorial - The Instruction manual is merely a button layout guide. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure I'm not the only first-timer to 2k9. They shouldn't assume we know ANYTHING about the game. In the tutorial for stealing, I understood how to steal, and I can do it in-game good now. But with...I think Jose Reyes running, I got 1 steal out of 17 attempts? In the Tutorial? mmm...

AI Agressiveness - They rarely take pitches. Anything in the strikezone, will be hit. You'll only get lucky that they miss if A) They're a pitcher or just a really bad hitter, or B) You max out that pitching meter. I'm sure their agressiveness and ball contact can be manually changed via sliders, so it's not that big a deal.

Fielding - My 2 Gripes with fielding (So far) have been... With no turbo, sprint or running button, and the lack of apparant speed. Eh it bothers me. A ball hit into the gap, and the fielder will nonchalantly jog to the ball. Or on a fly ball within reach, they will for no apparant reason gain a sudden burst of speed when it's not neccesary. The other problem has been with quick release. Man on 2nd, 2 outs, ball hit up the middle, the runner is going home, So I'm pushing "A" to throw home in preparation, and for some reason the throwing meter comes up, stops at the weakest, and the fielder throws up a SLOW lob. Something that will need getting used to, I guess.

Hitting - Nothing Really. I like the Right Analog stick usage. I haven't got any practice with bunting however and didn't like the way a player bunts...but that's not too big of a deal.

Pitching - This is my biggest gripe. I dislike. I hate. I despise the pitching. I only tried the default pitching style, and I will try the other one later. The default one is atrocious. This is the major thing for me. If they were able to fix the pitching, I would love the game. The whole gesture crap is not working for me. Using the Show as a comparion, or even MVP Baseball from year's past, of having a pitching meter, during the windup, and a simple button press determining the effectiveness of the pitch is great.

Franchise Fantasy Draft/AI - I still don't understand how the A.I. doesn't want pitching? I was able to obtain a rotation of Johan Santana, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, A.J. Burnett and Mike Pelfrey along with J.J. Putz and Billy Wagner and a few decent relievers. I had a 98 in pitching. The A.I. seems wayyyyy too focused on hitting.

Menu system - I just don't like the menu system and lack of explanations for certain things. Like the Franchise Draft. I didn't know what the options were for Type of Draft (Fixed, Serpentine), the 25 Picks...Eh. A small gripe. I don't like the Menu for NBA 2k9 either.

Substitutions - I can't sub in a pitcher, the moment I want to, I have to wait till my pitcher is on the mound ready to pitch (Even if he's a position-player). Sometimes I'll forget to call a pinch hitter beforehand for the pitcher and then have to wait till he's in the batter box waiting for the pitch before I can sub him in. Again not a HUGE thing, but when it's a lot of small issues, it's a big deal altogether

Ok, that's what I noticed on the first day. Now to let this not be a complete Rant on the game, the good aspects.

The animations, such as the fans, the signature moves for certain players on both hitting and pitching is amazing, and looks very real. Players for the most part look like their real-life counterpart.

The Announcers Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips are great. They may not be my favorites *cough* Gary Cohen or Joe Buck*cough*, but they're good enough for me. That's an understatement...I like the announcers. Good job.

So this game does have more con's that pro's so far. I've only played one full game in Franchise. I won 6-4 with the 2009 Actual Mets Roster against the Reds. Jose Reyes hit a 2 run jack in the 9th inning to tie the game up with 2 ours in the bottom of the 9th. A bit unexpected, but glad to win my first.

In all honesty I'm not thrilled with the game, but as I said NBA 2k9 had the same feeling for me at first. I'm a diehard fan, so I want more, in a game of the sport I love. Hopefully a patch here and there, could fix at least 1 or 2 of my issues, but I doubt it.

JB460
03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
you lost me when you said joe buck was a good announcer

Gohan Reborn
03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
When did I ever say Joe Buck was a good announcer. All I said was that I like him. And for the record I prefer Gary Cohen a LOT more. Buck doesn't show much emotion even with amazing plays.

xXx3NIGM4xXx
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, you didn't mention the double play "glitch" from 2k8 so I am already a happy man. I played the demo and it seemed..weird. I am used to trying to pull my ball to different sides of the field using the right stick, but it didn't work. Only forwards and backwards motions. The pitching I have to disagree with you. In my time with the demo, it is very much improved from 2k8. Also, in the demo, when batting, it's easier to "take" pitches now as you can get a realitve sense of read on the ball.

I hope there is no curse for Lincecum though, because I had the kid last year on my fantasy team, and this year he is going to be my ace yet again (though at a higher price unfortunately) and I don't want him getting hurt because of the video game endorsement!

Oh, one more thing. Fantasy Drafting is actually fairly simplistic, and it takes more than one "warm up" draft to see tendency that the CPU has. The reason there were so many pitchers was because all the 1b or OF were probably gone. Not that you couldn't draft some good value later, just saying that sure you got an incredible rotation, but how anemic is your lineup?

Gohan Reborn
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Since I never played 2k7 or 2k8 I can't compare it those, but to the Show. Pitching in the Show is much better. At least in the default setting. Once I get home tonight, I'll play around with it.

As far as the drafts, yeah I did a few mock drafts, and most of the great batters are gone, especially the younger ones. A-Rod, Pujols, Howard, Wright, Reyes, Beltran all went out in the first round. The only 5 star calibur pitchers that I noticed were going was Santana and Lincecum in the first round.

Pitching wins championships. However you're right, My hitting was horrible. Lol

XxBlueSpade2xX
03-05-2009, 01:21 AM
I like the game so far. It's not great and 2k seems to be focusing much more on visuals than actual gameplay. So I would rate it like a low 6/10. My rating can be attributed to my lack of skill hitting so far. Hopefully I will get the hang of it.

Joe Buck sucks major balls.

SengIV
03-05-2009, 01:22 AM
I would give this crap a 2/10

The achievements are very glitchy and crappy.

EOU Findub
03-05-2009, 04:53 AM
The two crappy things about this game, are the pitching and the fielding. Unfortunately with the pitching, it is one of the main aspects and a HUGE part of the game...ugh.

Caleel
03-05-2009, 05:26 AM
I would give this crap a 2/10

The achievements are very glitchy and crappy.

I have not goten any issues with achievements and I already have half of them... what achievements issues are you having??

Classick
03-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Pitching takes skill. That's why all of you are crying about it. Where is the skill in pressing A/B/X/Y? Stop crying and start practicing your motions. If you actually watch baseball you'll know that every pitch isn't perfect, nor are they easy to master. It's called realism.

If pushing down then up on a right analog stick is too hard for you then put down the control and go out and try to throw a real 95 mph fastball. This game was already dumbed down so it would appeal more to the masses (of braindead kids like the ones complaining here). So the fact that ANYONE is complaining about the mechanics is just ridiculous. Pitching last year was so much better than this year. They removed the timing this year which made pitching even easier than last year. Like I said... appealing to the brain dead casual gamers.

SengIV
03-07-2009, 12:29 AM
I have not goten any issues with achievements and I already have half of them... what achievements issues are you having??

At first it was the homeruns, steals, strikes. I got it alittle bit better now. I was able to get the hr and steals.

AlmightyZing
03-08-2009, 06:20 AM
the only problem i have with the game is when all-star caliber players screw up a routine play. For instance I'll be waiting on a fly ball right in the center of the marker and it'll just go right through me for an easy triple instead of an easy out. Even more common is the first basemen taking their foot off the bag on a perfect throw. I have never seen Albert Pujols take his foot off the bag due to a perfectly thrown ball from second base. I'm going to go ahead and consider these glitches because of how routine they should be and hope they fix it in an update.

As for the rest, 2k has made giant strides in my opinion. I didn't get 2k8 because I didnt like the controls they had switched to but thankfully those have been greatly improved in this game.

Please note: I'm not trying to say that major leaguers dont commit errors, just pointing out that they generally don't commit 5-6 a game off routine plays.

l InFamousDj l
03-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Glitchy is right, I have over 200 cards and I haven't got ach for 1 card from each team. WTF

Ollie The Magic Bum
03-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Yes. It must be done.

Fielding - My 2 Gripes with fielding (So far) have been... With no turbo, sprint or running button, and the lack of apparant speed. Eh it bothers me. A ball hit into the gap, and the fielder will nonchalantly jog to the ball. Or on a fly ball within reach, they will for no apparant reason gain a sudden burst of speed when it's not neccesary. The other problem has been with quick release. Man on 2nd, 2 outs, ball hit up the middle, the runner is going home, So I'm pushing "A" to throw home in preparation, and for some reason the throwing meter comes up, stops at the weakest, and the fielder throws up a SLOW lob. Something that will need getting used to, I guess.

Pitching - This is my biggest gripe. I dislike. I hate. I despise the pitching. I only tried the default pitching style, and I will try the other one later. The default one is atrocious. This is the major thing for me. If they were able to fix the pitching, I would love the game. The whole gesture crap is not working for me. Using the Show as a comparion, or even MVP Baseball from year's past, of having a pitching meter, during the windup, and a simple button press determining the effectiveness of the pitch is great.

For the throwing, it sounds like your problem is not using the right stick to do so. It's a lot easier than using the buttons, and it starts the meter immediately, rather than a 2 click thing like the buttons.

You'll get used to the pitching. The so-called "classic" controls they included suck. It's easy as hell to pitch, really. The only thing is if your pitcher has a slider and a curve. It's easy to mix those motions up. (Ryan Dempster has this problem)

You just seem to be having a hard time adjusting from The Show. You've only played for a few hours too. Give it time.

Elekid
03-08-2009, 08:30 AM
(Ryan Dempster has this problem)

It's because he's a Cub. :p

As far as announcers go, I would have given anything to have seen Bob Uecker make an appearance. That would've made me kept the announcer volume up.

ElderOmnivore
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I think the only problem I have it with it now is that the first baseman still takes his foot off of the bag before the ball gets there way too much. I understand when it happens on a crazy throw or something, but when it happens three times in a row when the throw is perfect, that's when I start getting annoyed.

I lost my no-hitter because of that. Like I said, it happened three times in a row with two outs in the ninth. The next guy, got a hit and ended the no-no. I've never been so annoyed by a baseball game in my life.

I have no clue why something like this escapes the game testers. The only thing I can think of is that they think it happens that many times in a game for some reason. I really hope this gets fixed soon.

Sick l Gator
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I would give this game a rating of 10 on the piece of crap meter. This is what happens when you have people who can not even play baseball make a baseball game.

Pepperdog8
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Errors,errors,errors, and more fricking errors!!! i GIVE this game a 1.5 out of 10

thekid215
04-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Bottom line is this game is horrible...every single aspect of it grinds my gears...!